Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2506

1       2       3              2506      
       2508              5889       5890       end

kwoodard
Total Posts: 4682

Anymore I have been looking away from charts and graphs when it comes to showing which lens is technically better. How the image really looks is far more important to me now. That's why I like the Series E lenses. They are inexpensive and perform very well. Briefly I had the Nikon 50mm 1.8D AF lens at the same time as I got my Series E 50mm. I found the Series E to be NICER than the more modern lens, even if it was ever so slightly sharper. I sold that lens to finance more MF lenses.

I think the pic of the cat is great. Seems like you may have focused a little in front of the cat as the front part of the cardboard is in focus and the rear of the cats head starts to go out of focus fast. Am I right?

saph
Total Posts: 3699

Congrats and talk to Ronny about focusing the 180, he's got the recipe down pat

Snow is nothing as much here as what Leighton's complaining about. I won't need to borrow his snow blower after all

designdog wrote:
Wow, my 180 arrived this morning! Shipped Monday USPS from California don't know how that was done, but I am happy.

The lens looks good. Unfortunately, as is documented here, the snow is keeping me from trying it out. Took a few shots indoors. Man that thing is hard to focus! Paractice, practice, practice...

saph
Total Posts: 3699

Thanks, I was pixel peeping that too Kevin I depend upon the green dot unless I am on the tripod and have live view on. So I may have missed the focus a bit with the quick grab. Also the focus plane is at a sharp angle to the plane of the photo, so that may be contributing to the perception.

Agreed, these manual lenses are holding their ground after all these decades.

kwoodard wrote:
Anymore I have been looking away from charts and graphs when it comes to showing which lens is technically better. How the image really looks is far more important to me now. That's why I like the Series E lenses. They are inexpensive and perform very well. Briefly I had the Nikon 50mm 1.8D AF lens at the same time as I got my Series E 50mm. I found the Series E to be NICER than the more modern lens, even if it was ever so slightly sharper. I sold that lens to finance more MF lenses.

I think the pic of the cat is great. Seems like you may have focused a little in front of the cat as the front part of the cardboard is in focus and the rear of the cats head starts to go out of focus fast. Am I right?

mike-in-ak
Total Posts: 223

It cracks me up to listen to folks in the Lower 48 talk about winter and snow.

Reagan
Total Posts: 4619

mike-in-ak wrote:

Reagan

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 16784

mike-in-ak wrote:

But Anchorage has less snowfall on average than Syracuse, New York...

http://www.city-data.com/top2/c464.html

It definitely has more than San Francisco, however. I think I'll stay in California.

CGrindahl

Thanks for the link to the 16 f/3.5 F AI'd. That is an excellent price for what we know to be an outstanding lens. Needless to say, it offers a quite unique perspective if one isn't shooting DX. I'm amazed to see Jose stitching together multiple images taken with this lens on his D7000, but then I've seen how it becomes simply a wide lens in DX images you've posted. Here's an old image with the lens mounted on an FX camera.

You definitely have to pick your occasion for using a fisheye lens.

mike-in-ak

CGrindahl wrote:
mike-in-ak wrote:

It definitely has more than San Francisco, however. I think I'll stay in California.

Yeah, sure, we had over 11 feet last season.

mike-in-ak

Here is a shot of a grizz in Denali last fall with the 500 P. It is a bit shakey as I was shooting on a towel on the hood of my Durango but the vehicle was shaking because my wildlife spotter was busy trying to hide under the front seat.

D300 - Nikkor 500mm /4 P ED IF - ISO 400 - /5.6 - 1/400 sec - semi-hand held

leighton w
Total Posts: 12621

CGrindahl wrote:
mike-in-ak wrote:

That's odd, I read it as Middlebrook being second by only 6 inches!

CGrindahl

And that is why I'm staying in California Mike. I grew up in Minnesota whose winter temperatures are much like those in Anchorage so I know what winter feels like. And I've shoveled my share of driveways and that was in the days well before snowblowers arrived on the scene. I don't miss the experience at all.

By the way, I believe the 11 feet last season represented an all-time record high. Hopefully climate change won't have that repeated often. Ten feet is more than enough... Interestingly, I discovered what is called the Golden Snowball Award given to cities in Upstate New York that clearly have a great deal of snow. In addition to the fact that Syracuse has the highest average snowfall, the record snowfall in the regain is Buffalo, which had 199.4 inches or about 16.5 feet of snow one season. I wouldn't like that either...

http://goldensnowball.com

CGrindahl

Wow Mike. That is a great shot of the bear. This is why I'm so mesmerized by that lens. It produces delicious color. Wonderful work.

leighton w
Total Posts: 12621

CGrindahl wrote:
Wow Mike. That is a great shot of the bear. This is why I'm so mesmerized by that lens. It produces delicious color. Wonderful work.

+1

CGrindahl

Clearly, Leighton, you have too much time on your hands... but very nicely done. And your two photos above are wonderful. I especially love the BW image.

It just dawned on me that Scott lives in Rochester which 11th on the list.

Stay warm everyone!

kwoodard
Total Posts: 4682

saph wrote:
Thanks, I was pixel peeping that too Kevin I depend upon the green dot unless I am on the tripod and have live view on. So I may have missed the focus a bit with the quick grab. Also the focus plane is at a sharp angle to the plane of the photo, so that may be contributing to the perception.

Agreed, these manual lenses are holding their ground after all these decades.

kwoodard wrote:

There is a thread that I believe I read here on FM where a guys is using the AF fine tuning feature on many of our bodies to help setup the Green Dot to be in the sweet spot. I did this with my old AF lenses that I don't have anymore, but I have been meaning to try it with my MF lenses to see if I can get the same result. Here is a link to the thread... http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1187638

designdog
Total Posts: 227

Hah! still can't get outside, but here is a shot with the 180 2.8 ED ais of my youngest dog on our back deck. Photo enhanced with VSCO Porta 160VC.

I think the difficulty in focusing this lens is because it is so freakin' dark right now...

asiostygius
Total Posts: 3289

kings_freak wrote:
asiostygius wrote:
Thanks for the comments, Nancy, Tony, John, Peter, and Georg.

Another great set Jose. I too envision some of the battles that may have taken place.

How do you handle the distortion from the 16mm on the panos?? They look perfect!

Tony

Thank you Tony! and Thanks Rafael who made a similar question.
The merit is for the software, since I am lazy and just applied the "photomerge" - auto of PS CS5, then simply made some crop.

asiostygius

Avi B wrote:
A few pictures of the icicles around the office from today.

D300 + Nikkor SC AI'd 55/1.2

Nice capture!

asiostygius

Oosty wrote:
One more with the 500 + PN 11 Handheld a la Curtis of our deck also in my PJ's

At about 5 metres -note the bokeh and extremely shallow DOF

Lovely capture Peter!

kings_freak
Total Posts: 952

MDoc9523 wrote:
Here is a 16mm 3.5 for sale on Ebay BIN $385.00 It looks very clean and has factory AI. Seller has 783 FB at 100%
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Fisheye-Nikkor-16-mm-F-3-5-Ai-Lens-Manual-Focus-/290874953717?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item43b97f8ff5

That is a really good price. So good in fact, I just bought it! Thanks for the link Ray!

Tony

1       2       3              2506      
       2508              5889       5890       end