Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2504

1       2       3              2504      
       2506              4369       4370       end

saph
Total Posts: 2440

Philippe, how do you manage to be in the right place and the right time? Terrific capture of the joggers!

Samy

Lieutenant Z wrote:
24 PCE (the last one)

djjohnr13
Total Posts: 30

mp356 wrote:
"Ice Covered Window". Taken with 50 1.4 ais. Thanks for looking.
Scott

Very nice abstract.

djjohnr13

rafaelcasd wrote:
deang001 wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:
As many of you know I traveled to Ohio to visit my mother to celebrate her 90th birthday a couple of weeks ago. I had a wonderful day with her. She had not been doing very well but that day was like old times. I am so glad that I went because yesterday my sweet mother passed away. She has a lot of family waiting for her on the other side including my father who pass at the turning of the century. Her funeral will be on Tuesday, so my brothers and sister will be flying to attend. Thank you all for praying for her. She had a long and fruitful life and was one of the most giving person you would ever like to meet. RIP Ruth

Condolences, Ray ... very sad to hear. Wonderful that you got to spend some time with her on her birthday.

My condolences Ray, we are all here because of the selfless beautiful people before us, traveling the same jouney and shall be together again. In the meantime let's keep their memory close and dear as part of our daily life.

Moonrise Nikkor 55mm 1.2 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Wonderful, this makes me feel like I'm on Jupiter.

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13321

djjohnr13 wrote:

Since you seem to be enjoying your time here, you may wish to introduce yourself. The first way you could do so would be to add your first name to your users profile. You may also with to include a location and perhaps a listing of your camera gear. We tend to be on a first name basis on this thread. This is a pretty easy group to trust. You perhaps are aware that one of our members, Ben, from Australia loaned us a lens worth three or four hundred dollars that has been circling the globe since last May. I expect it will be back in the owner's hand by March, after I've had an opportunity to play.

So welcome. Enjoy yourself. I love this comment by the way. Hope to see you on the board in the months to come.

Todd
Total Posts: 1787

Okay guys, the 200 mm F/4 was indeed bad and had slow reacting shutter blades. i took it back to the store and swapped it out for the 300 mm F4 .5. The 300 mm should be really good for astrophotography and suit my needs really well. I am really really really enjoying the Nikkor 105 F2 .5 manual focus lens. That is one sharp lens. I tried/tested the 105 mm F/1.8, it was nice but had a lot of color fringing when shot wide open. So for now I will be keeping the 105 mm F2 .5. I hope to be providing you guys some photos soon and I will continue to visit and participate in the threads on this form thanks.

Todd

a.RodriguezPix
Total Posts: 2237

Foggy14 wrote:

Americo, really like "For Poe." The balance between the foreground lighting and the colorful bokeh looks spot on to me.

thank you very much!

philipj
Total Posts: 851

Glad to see you active again Curtis. It's a wonderful thing you have curated here, and even as some of the original crew step out for a while, things keep chugging along just fine. It speaks to the fun of using MF glass, and the fine collection of people who drop by to chat about it. I hope to one day get back to more frequent visits to the thread, but thesis writing and Margot are keeping me very busy...

Welcome to the thread Todd, glad you got your lens issue figured out! The 105mm f/1.8 is a very special lens, and I don't find it too out of control wide open (though the f/2.5 is of course already quite excellent wide open). In either case you can't go wrong with the manual focus NIKKORs at 105mm!

Speaking of, here's a shot with the 105mm f/1.8 AI-s at f/4, through the window of an art gallery on Queen St West in Toronto.

UFOs by philipjohnson, on Flickr

kwoodard
Total Posts: 3051

About a week ago, the college I work at had convocation as well as dedication of two new buildings... I had my camera with me and took many pictures (some I have posted). A friend has a 5Dmk2 and their high end 80-200mm. He asked me to take a few shots with it. They all turned out great and the guy was shocked that I shot it all manually. Although he won't be a convert to Nikon MF anytime soon, he was impressed enough that he has started shooting manually from time to time. When I had his Canon, I couldn't shoot AF to save my life.

saph

Glad you didn't get pulled into the dark side Kevin

I have a question about taking photos of photos. Would one of the little 55 macros (2.8 or 3.5) be the preferred way to do this? I am planning on a setup where I can prop up each picture and take images to convert to digital.

Samy

leighton w
Total Posts: 9584

philipj wrote:
Glad to see you active again Curtis. It's a wonderful thing you have curated here, and even as some of the original crew step out for a while, things keep chugging along just fine. It speaks to the fun of using MF glass, and the fine collection of people who drop by to chat about it. I hope to one day get back to more frequent visits to the thread, but thesis writing and Margot are keeping me very busy...

Welcome to the thread Todd, glad you got your lens issue figured out! The 105mm f/1.8 is a very special lens, and I don't find it too out of control wide open (though the f/2.5 is of course already quite excellent wide open). In either case you can't go wrong with the manual focus NIKKORs at 105mm!

Speaking of, here's a shot with the 105mm f/1.8 AI-s at f/4, through the window of an art gallery on Queen St West in Toronto.

UFOs by philipjohnson, on Flickr

Philip, good to see you again. I love this image, the subject matter, composition and post work are all spot on!

leighton w

saph wrote:
Glad you didn't get pulled into the dark side Kevin

I have a question about taking photos of photos. Would one of the little 55 macros (2.8 or 3.5) be the preferred way to do this? I am planning on a setup where I can prop up each picture and take images to convert to digital.

Samy

Samy, drop John a PM. He has done some of this I believe, but I'm not sure which lens he used.

If they are prints, a flat bed scanner works great, and you can get a fairly nice one for around a hundred bucks.

wapsijims
Total Posts: 21

I have been slowly going thru the 2500+ pages here admiring some great photography
with old glass.

I have a question about really long old glass, has anyone used a 600mm f4 or f5.6 Ais lens for wildlife/birds
and were you happy with the results?

Anyone have any examples?

a PM answer is fine

Jim S

leighton w

wapsijims wrote:
I have been slowly going thru the 2500+ pages here admiring some great photography
with old glass.

I have a question about really long old glass, has anyone used a 600mm f4 or f5.6 Ais lens for wildlife/birds

a PM answer is fine

Jim S

Welcome Jim. I'm sorry that your last couple of posts have gone unanswered. Sometimes this thread goes so fast posts get lost. I'm glad you found us and although I don't have experience with anything in that range, there are a couple of folks on here that do. I believe Jose and perhaps Samy shoot with some long glass, maybe they will come along shortly and chime in.

saph

Jim, I have examples with the 500 F4P but not longer than that. The 500 F4P is very sharp. I have used the TC14b as well as the TC301 with it to extend to 700 or 1000mm. I believe Jose on this thread uses the 600 or 800 AIS (can't remember which) by itself and in combo with TCs. He gets tremendous results and has a very nice tripod setup.

Recently I have been tinkering with the TC16a to add some focus-assist to the 500F4P. Below's an early sample of that combo. These are a type of thrush, the European Starling. A flock swooped down into the grass where the snow had disappeared, looking for worms I guess. Just the target to test the TC16a+500 F4P setup, handheld.

Jim, what kind of imaging would you be doing with the long lenses?

Samy

leighton w wrote:
wapsijims wrote:
with old glass.

a PM answer is fine

Jim S

Welcome Jim. I'm sorry that your last couple of posts have gone unanswered. Sometimes this thread goes so fast posts get lost. I'm glad you found us and although I don't have experience with anything in that range, there are a couple of folks on here that do. I believe Jose and perhaps Samy shoot with some long glass, maybe they will come along shortly and chime in.

saph

An example from a couple months ago with the 500 F4P + TC-301. Birds in flight are tough with a manual lens, and the longer the lens the more difficult it is.

Samy

saph

Same comment and very nice texture in the water with that 135.

Samy

mp356 wrote:
georgms wrote:
Inspired by the fantastic captures taken through and with the 135/3.5:

Very nice Georg. Until I read the caption, I was not sure what it was. Nice abstract!
Scott

saph

Ronny, that second one was awesome, meant to comment on it earlier!

Ronny _Olsson wrote:
Thanks
George: Is probably as you say

djjohnr13

CGrindahl wrote:
djjohnr13 wrote:

Since you seem to be enjoying your time here, you may wish to introduce yourself. The first way you could do so would be to add your first name to your users profile. You may also with to include a location and perhaps a listing of your camera gear. We tend to be on a first name basis on this thread. This is a pretty easy group to trust. You perhaps are aware that one of our members, Ben, from Australia loaned us a lens worth three or four hundred dollars that has been circling the globe since last May. I expect it will be back in the owner's hand by March, after I've had an opportunity to play.

So welcome. Enjoy yourself. I love this comment by the way. Hope to see you on the board in the months to come.

Thanks Curtis,

My name is John, I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. I've been using Nikon cameras for 8 years except for a brief stint with a 5D. The past few years I've mostly been working with 4x5 but since my favorite color films are disappearing I've been playing around with a D800. I prefer using manual focus lenses whenever possible as I generally prefer their rendering to the new D/G designs; they're easier to manually focus (surprise) and I often find them as sharp or sharper at the apertures I work with (most of Nikon's dev work on primes seems to be at the wider apertures or in flare resistance). I'm currently using an 85mm AIS f/2.0, and plan on adding a 105mm f/2.5 and a 135mm. I just sold a 28 f/3.5 and formerly owned a 75-150mm (nice lens, but the zoom creep was a killer for tripod work).

kwoodard

OK, these are all with the 80-200mm... I had kind of a change in my thought process to taking pictures, how they are cropped, and how I do post work. I was not liking anything I was doing before (for the most part anyway). What do you all think of these. There are 8 shots I want to share, so I will split into two posts. I will try and keep the B/W's together, ditto for the color...

Negative space...

DSC_6447 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

High contrast (thankfully, the post work on this one is minimal, got it right in camera I think)

DSC_6449 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Back lit. This one had to be B/W, the color version had terrible green/purple fringing.

DSC_6460 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

First of the color. My hummingbird in flight still eludes me.

DSC_6473 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

kwoodard

Here are the rest of the color images. Two more hummingbirds then other stuff.

DSC_6476 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

DSC_6484 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Caught this out of the corner of my eye, had to shoot it.

DSC_6448 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Green!!

DSC_6456 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

1       2       3              2504      
       2506              4369       4370       end