Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2497

1       2       3              2497      
2498
       2499              5891       5892       end

mp356
Registered: May 31, 2009
Total Posts: 5639
Country: United States

leighton w wrote:
mp356 wrote:
No flowers or sun here. Just another cloudy winter day. Tried something different. This is quite abstract. What do you think? Better yet, what do you see? Taken with the 50 1.4 ais at f2.8, at minimum focus distance. Thanks for looking.
Scott







I love it Scott, looks like a frozen landscape with a winding road headed to the trees in the distance. Nicely seen.

Thank you Leighton and Nancy for the comments. Leighton, I saw the same thing as you in this.


mp356
Registered: May 31, 2009
Total Posts: 5639
Country: United States

JRT64 wrote:
135 f/3.5 AI with PK-13 tube @ f/11 on D600:




Very nice Jim.



leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 12621
Country: United States

CGrindahl wrote:
leighton w wrote:
Wow Curtis what a story. They may have thought you were with the CIA.


Another story from Tripoli was much sweeter. As we approached the port after our meeting with the soldiers, we noticed sailors rushing to the railing and dropping fishing lines over the side. It turns out there are abundant small fish in the harbor and the sailors were looking for a treat. It happened that on this day, the second officer, whom we'd gotten to know quite well during the nine days we'd been traveling, was celebrating his saint's day and they were going to have a party to which we were invited. So that evening we drank retsina and ate grilled fish with a room filled with Greek sailors. All of the officers spoke English. We had a rollicking good time.

There were only five passengers. Two were Greek sailors returning home. There was also a lovely woman we'd met in Brooklyn before our departure whom we never saw again during the trip. We surmised she stayed in the captain's quarters... The freighter was quite small, 4200 tons, and very slow as well. It was more tedious than anything else. Fortunately we came prepared with a great many books to read.

It was quite an introduction to my life of travels.


Reminds me of Jimmy Stewart in It's a Wonderful Life, when he said he was going to work his way over on a cattle boat.



mp356
Registered: May 31, 2009
Total Posts: 5639
Country: United States

leighton w wrote:
Zichar wrote:

Leighton, I love the tiny shoots in the boxes neatly in rows. Would you consider trying to shoot them from above straight down; looking at it as if in a grid? Ooh does that mean you start working on Friday?



Chin, is this what you mean? And yes, back to work on Friday! Looks like I'll be cleaning up from a snowstorm.

Thanks everyone for the comments.



Leighton, I like this top down view. Just the opposite of John's view up through the trees on the same page.



Oosty
Registered: Mar 09, 2009
Total Posts: 4212
Country: South Africa

asiostygius wrote:
MarkdV wrote:
Some love for a lens that doesn't get much use from me, the 75-150mm Series E. A versatile range of focal lengths covered but a couple of peculiarities the stop it becoming a firm favorite like the vignetting on the FX sensor and the zoom creep I haven't quite eliminated yet.
However I think it gives a very nice colour rendition and can make some very pleasing images.







Mark, I loved the rich colours and the subject isolation.

Agreed - beautiful


Oosty
Registered: Mar 09, 2009
Total Posts: 4212
Country: South Africa

CGrindahl wrote:

Here is another with the 80-200 f/4.5 AI with a PK-13 attached, shot wide open, hand held. It works...



It certainly does - wonderful



MDoc9523
Registered: Aug 13, 2006
Total Posts: 5115
Country: United States

JRT64 wrote:
135 f/3.5 AI with PK-13 tube @ f/11 on D600:


Beautiful shot Jim

Ray



MDoc9523
Registered: Aug 13, 2006
Total Posts: 5115
Country: United States

Oosty wrote:
asiostygius wrote:
MarkdV wrote:
Some love for a lens that doesn't get much use from me, the 75-150mm Series E. A versatile range of focal lengths covered but a couple of peculiarities the stop it becoming a firm favorite like the vignetting on the FX sensor and the zoom creep I haven't quite eliminated yet.
However I think it gives a very nice colour rendition and can make some very pleasing images.



Mark, I loved the rich colours and the subject isolation.


Agreed - beautiful

+1



Oosty
Registered: Mar 09, 2009
Total Posts: 4212
Country: South Africa

leighton w wrote:
Wow Curtis what a story. They may have thought you were with the CIA.


Under cover with that beard and haircut ...



Oosty
Registered: Mar 09, 2009
Total Posts: 4212
Country: South Africa

Phillippe - good to see you back at your best

Georg - thanks for the info but no joy so far. I think the fence shot is really good.

Jose - the Pompeii series just keeps getting better

Sam - marvellous narcissus shots

Monty - good to see you

Nancy - love the tabby and the camera

Tony - thank you for the kind comments

Mark - nice macros of (in my opinion) a highly overrated fruit!

Leighton - I like the helicopter view of the greens

Chin - definitely not listing I like it

Jim - nice macro. 1st time I've seen the flower.



MDoc9523
Registered: Aug 13, 2006
Total Posts: 5115
Country: United States

All of the beautiful flowers got me inspired to go out with my 35mm 1.4 The first one is at F2 and the second is F1.4. Man I love fast glass!





kwoodard
Registered: Aug 04, 2012
Total Posts: 4683
Country: United States

MDoc9523 wrote:
All of the beautiful flowers got me inspired to go out with my 35mm 1.4 The first one is at F2 and the second is F1.4. Man I love fast glass!





These are great! Love the bee in flight... One of the last pics with the ole D7000 eh? Have you figured out what you are going to go with? IMHO, I would look at the D7100. You are a master of Dx and with the extra MP, I think you would do exceptionally well with it.



rankamateur
Registered: Nov 25, 2007
Total Posts: 877
Country: United States

Monday's lens porn. First pic with a 55 2.8 I was cleaning the blades for a friend. The pic is of my 28 3.5 I picked up awhile back with a "Fungus among us" spydering under the front element as you can see in the pic. 2nd Pic is of the disassembled lens. I was surprised all of it came right off with ROR. That's the element in the foreground but it is not too well in focus.. Pic taken with the 28 2.8 AI-S. I like doing this stuff but I don't like doing it so it is a catch22. It takes some serious brute force to remove any retaining rings and sometimes screws are nearly impossible to get out due to age.



designdog
Registered: Oct 05, 2004
Total Posts: 229
Country: United States

Spring is in the air, my 180 2.8 ED ais is on the way, and I have the first of some outings coming up this weekend.

For this one I get to be on the spouse program (ain't retirement grand!) for a weekend at King's Mill in Williamsburg. Normally I play golf, but this winter has kept me away from the club, and I don't want to make my season debut at an expensive venue. So I will make pictures instead.

I plan to take the D700 and my new Tenba Messenger Small bag. Now, which lenses to take? I plan this to be a MF only trip, so I will choose 4 from the following:
28 2.8ais, 50 1.2ais, 85 1.4 (Rokinon), 85 2ai, 105 2.5ais., 135 2.8ais, 180 2.8ED ais.

My thinking at this point is the 28, 50, Rokinon, and the 180. Or maybe just the 28, 105, and 180.

Any suggestions?



kings_freak
Registered: Jun 02, 2011
Total Posts: 952
Country: United States

leighton w wrote:
Ok, I have reached the extreme of boredom. So much so, I have stooped to taking shots of my boot! I did manage to hobble out to the propagation greenhouses to take a few snaps of crops Barbara has started. it's always nice to go in there this time of year to get a green fix.

BTW Reagan, these were all with nice 28mm f2.8 AI-s you sold me, thanks again.


Man, I HATE being cooped up. I hope you are able to get back out there soon!

–Tony



kings_freak
Registered: Jun 02, 2011
Total Posts: 952
Country: United States

Lieutenant Z wrote:
Jose nice & interesting images from Pompeď. What a stunning place !

Nothing special from me, just that pic taken with 85 HC :


I can't tell if he is concentrating or asleep!

–Tony



MarkdV
Registered: Jul 05, 2012
Total Posts: 1152
Country: Poland

MDoc9523 wrote:
All of the beautiful flowers got me inspired to go out with my 35mm 1.4 The first one is at F2 and the second is F1.4. Man I love fast glass!



That second one is amazing, the vivid red and strong lines. Well spotted. The bee in flight is also a great capture.



MarkdV
Registered: Jul 05, 2012
Total Posts: 1152
Country: Poland

designdog wrote:
Spring is in the air, my 180 2.8 ED ais is on the way, and I have the first of some outings coming up this weekend.

For this one I get to be on the spouse program (ain't retirement grand!) for a weekend at King's Mill in Williamsburg. Normally I play golf, but this winter has kept me away from the club, and I don't want to make my season debut at an expensive venue. So I will make pictures instead.

I plan to take the D700 and my new Tenba Messenger Small bag. Now, which lenses to take? I plan this to be a MF only trip, so I will choose 4 from the following:
28 2.8ais, 50 1.2ais, 85 1.4 (Rokinon), 85 2ai, 105 2.5ais., 135 2.8ais, 180 2.8ED ais.

My thinking at this point is the 28, 50, Rokinon, and the 180. Or maybe just the 28, 105, and 180.

Any suggestions?


Hi David,

I'd try the 28, 85 and 180. I think for golf the 50 will be a neither here nor there focal length but the 85 should be good and the 180 will be fabulous.



MarkdV
Registered: Jul 05, 2012
Total Posts: 1152
Country: Poland

rankamateur wrote:
Monday's lens porn. First pic with a 55 2.8 I was cleaning the blades for a friend. The pic is of my 28 3.5 I picked up awhile back with a "Fungus among us" spydering under the front element as you can see in the pic. 2nd Pic is of the disassembled lens. I was surprised all of it came right off with ROR. That's the element in the foreground but it is not too well in focus.. Pic taken with the 28 2.8 AI-S. I like doing this stuff but I don't like doing it so it is a catch22. It takes some serious brute force to remove any retaining rings and sometimes screws are nearly impossible to get out due to age.


Hi Ron,

How do you shift those old screws? I wanted to try to clear some dust from inside a lens but couldn't budge them, do you have a good way? Thanks,
Mark.



bruni
Registered: Feb 15, 2012
Total Posts: 1650
Country: Australia

mp356 wrote:
asiostygius wrote:
georgms wrote:
A quick grab from this morning:
[im/img]
16/3.5Ai at f/16, D700


Georg, you and John are masters of shots of the sun with the 16/3.5!



+1 Georg. Nice work.


+1

nice composition - and always like to see the sun in the shot.

I still got nothing - but I don't want Phillippe to feel abandoned - so - a snap from lunch.

ben


Monday lunch - nikon 24mm PCE by benmorgan28, on Flickr



1       2       3              2497      
2498
       2499              5891       5892       end