Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2497

1       2       3              2497      
       2499              4191       4192       end

Reagan
Total Posts: 2909

leighton w wrote:
djjohnr13 wrote:
I tested two AI/AIS lenses against their modern 1.8G counterparts over the last week, concentrating on resolution at landscape f/stops. The 28 1.8G trounced the 3.5 AI across the whole image frame, while the 85 f/2 AIS has held it's own/surpassed the 85mm 1.8G (still testing). I don't have time to make crops this weekend, but I'll post the .nefs to Dropbox if anyone is interested.

The 28mm f3.5 isn't known for greatness. Put the 1.8G up against the 28 f2.8 AI-s, and you'd have a better comparison.

Lets drop them off a table and see which one is better
but not with my 28

Reagan

Ronny _Olsson
Total Posts: 2373

Thanks
Have no idea what it is .. but can imagine that it is a thing
which was used as loading on and off matrial with the boats in the harbor
in the past ..

Great shot samy

jhinkey
Total Posts: 5816

saph wrote:
Wondered who broke the browser until I got to the panos. John, just superb, especially the first one with the terrific light.

Scott, nice view of the deeper freeze further up north.

leighton w wrote:
Scott - Very nice perspective. I just don't care for the subject.

John - Beautiful sunset panos of Seattle. I've never seen the city from this perspective.

Sorry!

I just can't help myself . . .

6 shot pano with the 135/3.5 AIS (my copy from KEH which is far better centered than the one I bought off of e-bay):

John

Mishu01
Total Posts: 2382

djjohnr13 wrote:
I tested two AI/AIS lenses against their modern 1.8G counterparts over the last week, concentrating on resolution at landscape f/stops. The 28 1.8G trounced the 3.5 AI across the whole image frame, while the 85 f/2 AIS has held it's own/surpassed the 85mm 1.8G (still testing). I don't have time to make crops this weekend, but I'll post the .nefs to Dropbox if anyone is interested.

It seems that you have a lemon on 85/1.8 G and an exceptional copy on 85/2 AIS. I have both lenses and my G copy wipes down with the AIS. Interesting that the guys at DXOMark consider 85/1.8G overall better than Nikon 85/1.4G or Sigma 85/1.4. See here the comparison.

85/2 AIS is a sweet lens mostly because its compact size but optically I'm afraid that stays behind all 85s produced by Nikon.

georgms
Total Posts: 3353

Ronny, fantastic picture from the harbor!
In my opinion it's a (replica of a) pre-historic lighthouse/light-sign - it was for sure used to help fishermen/seamen at night to get safe into the port.

Will come back later to comment on other great captures.

djjohnr13
Total Posts: 30

Mishu01 wrote:
djjohnr13 wrote:

It seems that you have a lemon on 85/1.8 G and an exceptional copy on 85/2 AIS. I have both lenses and my G copy wipes down with the AIS. Interesting that the guys at DXOMark consider 85/1.8G overall better than Nikon 85/1.4G or Sigma 85/1.4. See here the comparison.

85/2 AIS is a sweet lens mostly because its compact size but optically I'm afraid that stays behind all 85s produced by Nikon.

Quite possible, the result is definitely not what I expected. The 1.8G will go back for another sample. I do think I have an uncommonly good copy of the f/2, and it reminds me a lot of my Fujinon 250mm f/6.3 in it's rendering (my favorite 4x5 lens). I've seen the DXO test and numerous others, which led me to try the 1.8G in the first place.

asiostygius
Total Posts: 2591

CGrindahl wrote:
I actually took my camera this afternoon while running errands. Imagine what happened... I took some photos...

I had the 105 f/2.5 P AI'd mounted... a very sweet lens for $90. It is not in pristine condition but the glass is very clean and it operates perfectly. This lens has a different optical design than the classic lens so many of us love... the one, in fact, that started my MF obsession. I was curious about how the older design would perform and have not in any way been disappointed. As I said above, these older lenses perform beautifully.

A great set Curtis, but I liked the most this one; fantastic!

asiostygius

mp356 wrote:
deang001 wrote:
I hope everyone is well ... wonderful images as always.

Still getting through my images from our trip to Siem Reap last November. Going to try and edit more this weekend. I hope you don't mind seeing more of these.

These were all taken with the 180/2.8 Ai-S. It's not the most compact lens to take traveling but I'm glad I did ... such a wonderful lens.

DSC_2761.180mm by deang0001, on Flickr

Dean, very nice images. I especially like this first one. Good to have you posting again.
Scott

+1, lovely shot.

asiostygius

saph wrote:
Two birds from my recent trip to India, the first one's a hoopoe, clearly running away from the crazy guy with the camera. The second's a roller.

Both with the 180mm 2.8 AIS.

Samy

WOW Samy, spetacular BIF, well done!

asiostygius

mp356 wrote:
"Ice Covered Window". Taken with 50 1.4 ais. Thanks for looking.
Scott

Very nice!

asiostygius

John, great landscapes as always, but my jaw was dropping because of this one:

What great colours and sharpness from this humble lens!

If you have an account at flickr, please post some 135/3.5 shots here:
http://flic.kr/g/jeVj3

asiostygius

Rafael, spetacular moonrise!
Where was you? Inside a plane or in the top of a mountain?

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13031

rafaelcasd wrote:
...My condolences Ray, we are all here because of the selfless beautiful people before us, traveling the same jouney and shall be together again. In the meantime let's keep their memory close and dear as part of our daily life.

Moonrise Nikkor 55mm 1.2 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

This definitely needs a repeat. Gorgeous image Rafael and very appropriate with an expression of condolences. Beautiful!

asiostygius

mp356 wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:
Here are some more shots with Nikki at the Bok Tower and Gardens. It looks like Zenfolio is up and running again.

Ray, this one is very nice.

+100

I liked all Nikki's set, sharp and colourful images, but your flowers are always incredible Ray!

CGrindahl

leighton w wrote:
saph wrote:
Testing the TC16a on the 500 F4P for semi-auto-focus, at about 20 feet and the second one closer to infinity. Leighton if this combo is not allowed let me know. I do have to manually get the focus ring to a reasonable range otherwise the autofocus hunts and gives up.

Samy

We had this discussion some time ago and it was decided back then that it was acceptable since the main lens was MF. Correct me if i'm wrong about this Curtis.

Actually, I've never known you to be wrong Leighton...

Makes sense to me and yes, we did have this conversation earlier. Nikon MF lenses on Nikon cameras is the thing... adding another piece of Nikon gear that was intended to enhance them both is worth considering. We can accept any brand of extension tube simply because they provide noting but open air. All is well Samy. Entertain us...

CGrindahl

asiostygius wrote:
mp356 wrote:
"Ice Covered Window". Taken with 50 1.4 ais. Thanks for looking.
Scott

Very nice!

Couldn't agree more Scott. You have a discerning eye. I love images like this.

asiostygius

Thanks Leighton and Scott for the previous comments.

Last week NMFAS striked hard once more, this time I was luck to find really good prices on very good (near pristine) samples of the 135mm f/3.5 AI-S and the legendary 75-150mm f/3.5 E. Each one of them for less than USD 100.00 and with 2 hoods + 2 filters and original caps, what is really unbeleivable for "Brazilian standart prices".

My very preliminary test shots revealed that the 135/3.5 AIS is slightly sharper and have no decentering as my old 135/3.5 AI, while the 75-150 is unbelievably as sharp as the 135mm prime (at 135mm, of course). Though pristine externally and internally:

this is a shot from the seller, a very nice German gentleman living half year in Brazil and half year in Germany

but the infamous zoom creeping is atrocious
Have any of you fixed this problem with a simple gaffer tape with good succes?

CGrindahl

Hard to imagine that we are fast approaching 50,000 posts. I have no illusions that this thread will ever catch the Mustang Air to Air thread. These folks are every bit as talkative as those who've found a home in cyberspace on this thread... AND, they've been doing it for much longer.

Of course, this has never been a competition, either with another thread or with those who prefer to shoot with AF gear. I always smile when folks comment on the relative capabilities of MF versus the latest AF lenses, as is happening at the moment with the 28 f/1.8G and 85 f/1.8G under discussion. If Nikon weren't capable of improving the quality of their offerings they would likely have been relegated to the dust bin of history long ago. But performance in the corners or in handling flair or in handling fast moving action will never be the only criteria leading one either to purchasing decisions or how one wishes to pursue photography. Most of us on this thread balance the value of having AF lenses in our kit with the pleasure we find in shooting with manual focus. That is what we're celebrating here.

Of course, the discussions about lens performance are part of the mix, especially so when we have folks like John and Jose who take these matters so seriously and who are so willing to share their experiences with all of us. We have a very rich mixture of fine photography, excellent technical discussions and remarkably friendly and warm conversation on this thread. I for one am honored to be part of this esteemed group. It is especially comforting to know that what I love about this thread is present even when I'm not here to offer support and guidance. I attribute that to the fact I'm not at all alone in valuing this conversation. Many others here have taken responsibility for welcoming newcomers, answering questions and offering both inspiration and support. Nothing could be finer, in my humble opinion.

And so 50,000 approaches. Congratulations all!

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 1360

saph wrote:
Testing the TC16a on the 500 F4P for semi-auto-focus, at about 20 feet and the second one closer to infinity. Leighton if this combo is not allowed let me know. I do have to manually get the focus ring to a reasonable range otherwise the autofocus hunts and gives up.

Samy

BTW, Jose and Rafael, you folks come up with great vistas, the scenery is always enjoyable!

Thank you Samy, regarding the TC-16A there is a precendent as Curtis accepted it in the forum a while back as its only use is for manual focus Nikkors.

leighton w
Total Posts: 9200

CGrindahl wrote:
Actually, I've never known you to be wrong Leighton...

I'm hardly ever wrong Curtis! At least that's what I like to tell my wife.

1       2       3              2497      
       2499              4191       4192       end