Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2495

1       2       3              2495      
       2497              4307       4308       end

deang001
Total Posts: 1559

MDoc9523 wrote:
As many of you know I traveled to Ohio to visit my mother to celebrate her 90th birthday a couple of weeks ago. I had a wonderful day with her. She had not been doing very well but that day was like old times. I am so glad that I went because yesterday my sweet mother passed away. She has a lot of family waiting for her on the other side including my father who pass at the turning of the century. Her funeral will be on Tuesday, so my brothers and sister will be flying to attend. Thank you all for praying for her. She had a long and fruitful life and was one of the most giving person you would ever like to meet. RIP Ruth

Condolences, Ray ... very sad to hear. Wonderful that you got to spend some time with her on her birthday.

georgms
Total Posts: 3459

Ray, I'm really sorry to hear of your mother. I'm glad you could see her a few weeks ago. 90 years is a very long time, good to hear the years were fruitful.
My grandmother is 101 years old now and I can't even imagine how it feels to be 50.
Georg

Mishu01
Total Posts: 2388

MDoc9523 wrote:
As many of you know I traveled to Ohio to visit my mother to celebrate her 90th birthday a couple of weeks ago. I had a wonderful day with her. She had not been doing very well but that day was like old times. I am so glad that I went because yesterday my sweet mother passed away. She has a lot of family waiting for her on the other side including my father who pass at the turning of the century. Her funeral will be on Tuesday, so my brothers and sister will be flying to attend. Thank you all for praying for her. She had a long and fruitful life and was one of the most giving person you would ever like to meet. RIP Ruth

I was away for several hours and while coming back I found this sad news. As many others from this thread I am with you Ray during this time and my prayers are with you as well. Take care of you my friend!

deang001

I hope everyone is well ... wonderful images as always.

Still getting through my images from our trip to Siem Reap last November. Going to try and edit more this weekend. I hope you don't mind seeing more of these.

These were all taken with the 180/2.8 Ai-S. It's not the most compact lens to take traveling but I'm glad I did ... such a wonderful lens.

DSC_2761.180mm by deang0001, on Flickr

DSC_4274 by deang0001, on Flickr

DSC_3701 by deang0001, on Flickr

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13177

Long time no talk Dean. These wonderful photos stir the juices a bit. Rinie and I talked last year after our enjoyable time in Turkey about taking a trip to Cambodia later this year. I don't know whether it will happen, but your photos definitely have me thinking. I'm not a hot, humid weather person. When would you think a good time of the year to travel in Cambodia might be? You were there in November. How was that?

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 13177

I actually took my camera this afternoon while running errands. Imagine what happened... I took some photos...

I had the 105 f/2.5 P AI'd mounted... a very sweet lens for $90. It is not in pristine condition but the glass is very clean and it operates perfectly. This lens has a different optical design than the classic lens so many of us love... the one, in fact, that started my MF obsession. I was curious about how the older design would perform and have not in any way been disappointed. As I said above, these older lenses perform beautifully.

Amazingly, the high temperature today was 67 degrees. Sorry to hear about snow falling in the midlands but then I made my decision long ago to leave the snows of Minnesota behind. I'm afraid California has spoiled me...

mp356
Total Posts: 4334

deang001 wrote:

Still getting through my images from our trip to Siem Reap last November. Going to try and edit more this weekend. I hope you don't mind seeing more of these.

These were all taken with the 180/2.8 Ai-S. It's not the most compact lens to take traveling but I'm glad I did ... such a wonderful lens.

Dean, very nice images. I especially like this first one. Good to have you posting again.
Scott

mp356

CGrindahl wrote:
I actually took my camera this afternoon while running errands. Imagine what happened... I took some photos...

Curtis, I like the composition of this fence image. Nice areas of bokeh.
Scott

deang001

CGrindahl wrote:
Long time no talk Dean. These wonderful photos stir the juices a bit. Rinie and I talked last year after our enjoyable time in Turkey about taking a trip to Cambodia later this year. I don't know whether it will happen, but your photos definitely have me thinking. I'm not a hot, humid weather person. When would you think a good time of the year to travel in Cambodia might be? You were there in November. How was that?

Hi Curtis. You couldn't pick a better place for photography than Cambodia. It's truly an amazing experience. You will love it and the people are so nice too. Haven't been to Phnom Penh though, just Siem Reap. You may want to put Myanmar on the radar as well as it's just opening up to tourists.

November was really good. Not too hot ... around 25C most days but humidity was quite high still but no at it's high.. The temperature doesn't really vary that much but the rainfall and humidity do ... and so do the crowds !!!

Travelling is always an exercise in trade-offs ... temp/rainfall/humidity/crowds. Dec/Jan/Feb are more pleasant weather wise as far as humidity & rainfall go, but the BIG downside is the never ending bus tours from Korea & China. The place is just toobusy. I can't travel anywhere in peak season as crowds just destroy the whole trip for me.

Photographically, you really need to be there when it's a bit humid unfortunately, because during the low-humidity months there's no rain and the place is a bit of a dust-bowl. You wont get the nice lush greenery in your shots. Also the floating village which 90% of visitora don't get to, and something you should definitely see, is no longer flooded !

From our planning, early November seemed like a good time to visit because the rain had fully subsided yet the fields were still green, crowds are no where near capacity and the river near the villages are still flooded. We still had a bit of rain which was great because it gave the temples a nice wet sheen. I would of actually preferred a little earlier, but we wanted to secure Sam as our guide and kind of planned around his availability.

You really need to hire a guide/car while in Siem Reap as opposed to getting around on tuk tuks. Our guide, Sam, was absolutely brilliant and I can pass his details on to you if you like ... book him months in advance though. Apart from the obvious heightened experience & efficiency only a professional guide can bring to trip, being driven around in an air-conditioned car mitigates a lot of the humidity. A driving guide in Siem Reap will set you back USD $35 per day. We had lots of refresher stops along the way while hopping from temple-to-temple, sampling local cuisine and just basically resting and chatting to Sam.

I think you need around 5 full days there (outside of travel days) to really get a feel for Siem Reap. Maybe a couple of more days if you want to just laze around a pool etc. Breaking up days from visiting to temples with trips to villages etc is something to consider as well as you do get "temple-fatigue". Breaking the days up gives you more of a fresh outlook with the temples. Locals love there photos taken and getting off the tourist track is always a highlight. We went to villages that had no electricity that never see any tourists which opens your eyes. Seeing things like a fire next to each village house ... burning rubbish as there's obviously no rubbish collection was an eye opener but all part of it.

I would give down-town Siem Reap a miss ... too touristy and not that pleasant. Much better off staying a a nicer hotel with a good local Khmer restaurant and a pool !!

So glad you're both thinking of going to Cambodia and I'm sure you will love it. More than happy to pass on any info that may be of use to you when the time comes.

Maybe we may see you n HK for a few days as well !!!

Lovely images too BTW ... the first one is superb.

mp356

"Ice Covered Window". Taken with 50 1.4 ais. Thanks for looking.
Scott

jhinkey
Total Posts: 6038

Had some time during the early evening with the new 135/3.5 AIS and my venerable 200/4 AIS.

John

jhinkey

And I could not let the night go by without some panoramas. Both from the 200/4 AIS at f/5.6.

- J

and another:

jhinkey

mp356 wrote:
"Ice Covered Window". Taken with 50 1.4 ais. Thanks for looking.
Scott

Like!

John

jhinkey

Yes, my condolences Ray.

- John

leighton w
Total Posts: 9458

deang001 wrote:

DSC_4274 by deang0001, on Flickr

DSC_3701 by deang0001, on Flickr

Nice to see you again Dean! I never tire seeing your images from the exoctic places you visit. I love the last two in this set. I bet it's there's a photo op every place you go.

leighton w

CGrindahl wrote:

I had the 105 f/2.5 P AI'd mounted... a very sweet lens for $90. It is not in pristine condition but the glass is very clean and it operates perfectly. This lens has a different optical design than the classic lens so many of us love... the one, in fact, that started my MF obsession. I was curious about how the older design would perform and have not in any way been disappointed. As I said above, these older lenses perform beautifully.

Amazingly, the high temperature today was 67 degrees. Sorry to hear about snow falling in the midlands but then I made my decision long ago to leave the snows of Minnesota behind. I'm afraid California has spoiled me...

Lovely set Curtis. I don't know if you could mount a bad Nikkor on these cameras. They say that the 43-86mm was Nikon's worse lens, but I haven't seen any images from one, so I'll reserve judgement.

leighton w

Scott - Very nice perspective. I just don't care for the subject.

John - Beautiful sunset panos of Seattle. I've never seen the city from this perspective.

Zichar
Total Posts: 3553

Ray, I'm sorry to hear about your loss

saph
Total Posts: 2346

Wondered who broke the browser until I got to the panos. John, just superb, especially the first one with the terrific light.

Scott, nice view of the deeper freeze further up north.

leighton w wrote:
Scott - Very nice perspective. I just don't care for the subject.

John - Beautiful sunset panos of Seattle. I've never seen the city from this perspective.

saph
Total Posts: 2346

Dean, nice images, I remember a few months ago you had a series from Cambodia that I really enjoyed.

Kevin, the lines and shadows and light in the first image are neat to look at.

1       2       3              2495      
       2497              4307       4308       end