Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2485

1       2       3              2485      
       2487              5889       5890       end

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 2486

James Markus wrote:
That tree is incredible...what is it's name?

rafaelcasd wrote:
georgms wrote:
Rafael - what a beautiful set! My favs are the "Driveway" and the last shot. That 25-50 is tempting ;-)

Georg, the 25-50mm is very useful for daytime and flash work, it is wickedly sharp from 5.6 up and so well built, a bit heavy and large. I allows one to frame the shot while beign as good as any prime on its aperture range.

most of the pics I posted were of the 16mm, here is a couple more of the 25-50mm, this house belongs to a family friend, my dad's was sold long ago. I had an "Out of Africa" longing for the place and this picture reminds me of it.

James, this is an amatl, or amate, or higueron tree, it is a Ficus "Ficus insipida", a large fig tree that produces large good looking and inedible figs. Insipida means with no taste. This tree is very common around rivers or lakes in Central America.

kings_freak
Total Posts: 952

jhinkey wrote:
Last day for Nikki in Seattle. Here's a few. Images to Leighton later tonight for updating the blog.

I have a friend who took a shot from her hotel and she must be right down the block from where these were taken. I will have to tell her to go to the EMP. Silly question, but what does EMP stand for?

Love all of the shots. The colors are so vivid! This one was my favorite.

–Tony

kings_freak

jhinkey wrote:
That's it. That's a wrap.
Last blog post is off to Leighton - tomorrow Nikki gets packed up and sent off to Tony in CA.

Yay!! Can't wait to take her for a spin!

–Tony

kings_freak

Also, the local sale on my 105mm ƒ1.8 fell through, so it is back on the B&S. I have also lowered the price. It's now a "steal" at $425!

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1191144/0#11382674

kings_freak

asiostygius wrote:
I promise, this is the last (Ray is the guilt for this )

What about D600 dx crop vs D7000?

Of course I used the same lens (135/3.5) + tripod + remote cable and same setups for each camera, and live view was used for best focusing. Both at ISO 100.

Well here there is a surprise for me because D600 upsized image stands very well against the native D7000 image, if not contrastier (!?):

D600-dx-crop-upsized-vs-D7000 iso 100 by labecoaves, on Flickr
100% viewing

No surprise a downsized (to the D600 dx crop) D7000 image looks like similar to the D600 dx crop:

D600-vs-D7000-downsized ISO 100 by labecoaves, on Flickr
100% viewing

Some day I will replicate to confirm or not the results.

Both cameras at SD picture control and images were straight from the camera, no edit other than resizing through CS5.

Thanks for another great comparison Jose. It seems the D600 handles the CA of that lens a little better. I especially noticed it in the type on the last two shots.

–Tony

a.RodriguezPix
Total Posts: 2236

Hi all, i am selling my camera, do you think its logical to ask about $1400? Thank you!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130858880498?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

leighton w
Total Posts: 12621

saph wrote:
Thanks Curtis, I have played around with the saturation and hue sliders for cyan and magenta. That may be the best way in PSE.

Here's some bokeh treatment, first with 55 1.2S, the next with the 105 1.8 AIS.

I like this one Samy.
As far as the CA, there was a new slider added to LR in version 4.3 that's just for CA. I've used it a couple of times and it works great! It's located in the lens correction module under the color tab. You can't use the hue sliders to get rid of CA, as they change the whole image.

leighton w

MDoc9523 wrote:
Here are a few from today with the 85mm 1.4. Getting some more use from my D7000 before it leaves to find it's new home.

Love this one Ray, and congrats on the new D7100!

leighton w

jhinkey wrote:
Last day for Nikki in Seattle. Here's a few. Images to Leighton later tonight for updating the blog.

John sorry the flu hit you the same time as Nikki, what a bummer. At least you were able to use her some and with fantastic results!
I LOVE these three, they would make wonderful large sized prints to hang together on a wall.
I'll have your blog post up soon.

leighton w

a.RodriguezPix wrote:
Hi all, i am selling my camera, do you think its logical to ask about $1400? Thank you!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130858880498?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Considering the low usage, I would say it's a very fair price.

asiostygius
Total Posts: 3288

kings_freak wrote:
asiostygius wrote:
I promise, this is the last (Ray is the guilt for this )

Thanks for another great comparison Jose. It seems the D600 handles the CA of that lens a little better. I especially noticed it in the type on the last two shots.

–Tony

Thank you Tony.
It could be a mistake by me, by as far I know the setups of both cameras were identical, ilumination the same and both shots converted (no edit) from VieNX2 to tiff then resized for internet in CS5.

asiostygius

Alternative pano, this time with 4 horizontal shots. Less town and more Vesuvius + sky than the vertical pano.

4 horizontal shots pano of Vesuvius, from Pompeii by labecoaves, on Flickr

D7000 + Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 K ai'd & CPU'd, hand held, ISO 100, f/5.6 at 1/640s.
No polarizer here and the haze is visible.

leighton w

Very nice pano Jose. I'm assuming the snow covered peak is the "new" dome that grew after the initial eruption?

asiostygius

Thank Leighton.
I dont know, but what I do know is that in 1944 there was the last notable eruption, fortunately far less violent than at 79 A.D.

MarkdV
Total Posts: 1152

asiostygius wrote:
Thank Leighton.
I dont know, but what I do know is that in 1944 there was the last notable eruption, fortunately far less violent than at 79 A.D.

The 'dome' is an illusion from the angle that Jose shot at. It's actually the wall of the caldera in the middle, the dome used to carry on up (if you imagine that the left side of the mountain carry's on instead of flattening out). In the middle it's a huge hole.

asiostygius

Thank you Mark for the clarification.
In fact I even visited the crater border at around 1,100m above sea level. Next week I will post some shots.

MarkdV
Total Posts: 1152

asiostygius wrote:
Thank you Mark for the clarification.
In fact I even visited the crater border at around 1,100m above sea level. Next week I will post some shots.

I am looking forward to seeing them! The ones you have posted so far are excellent and the panoramas very well done. I hope you don't get too distracted by your new toy though.

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 2486

This may be the last posting of the trip before I return this weekend.

It was time to revisit the coffee farm, coffee raised me and paid for my schooling at CAL. Our farm was nearby, but one of the best looking farms I know belongs to my brother's in-laws. Here is the volcano it is in, the farm starts halfway up and ends at the top, over 5000 feet people do not plant coffee and it is virgin forest. 2/3 up the way on the right side is the little house we went to. At the bottom is a modern coffee mill.

nikon nikkor 50mm 1.2 D800 bosque Lya 3 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

A crop of the mill, this was with the 50mm 1.2, the lens I used the most this day. That is cofee beans sun drying on the concrete pad.

nikon nikkor 50mm 1.2 D800 bosque Lya 3 crop by Rafael CA, on Flickr

A Curtis style rendition at the house, this 50 1.2 has good mountain bokeh at 1.2.

nikon nikkor 50mm 1.2 D800 bosque Lya 2 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Now the 16mm 3.5

nikon nikkor 16mm 3.5 D800 Bosque Lya Santa Ana El Salvador 2 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

and the last

nikon nikkor 16mm 3.5 D800 Bosque Lya Santa Ana El Salvador 3 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Oosty
Total Posts: 4209

asiostygius wrote:
Pompeii soil is very fertile and I managed to get these colourful fruits growing next the walls of the ancient city.

Red fruits from Pompeii wall by labecoaves, on Flickr

D7000 + Micro Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 ai hand held, ISO 1600, f/5.6 at 1/30s.
Someone here knows its name?

Edit: a friend of mine, a botanist, has identified the fruit as probably the Scarlet firethorn.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyracantha

They look like Cotoneaster to me not Firethorn (Pyracantha) although they are very closely related. I didn't see any thorns in your pic and as a kid we used to eat the berries ( a bit dumb since red berries are usually best left alone!) and the firethorn was avery prickly customer.

raboof
Total Posts: 2094

Love your scenery shots Jose and Rafael.
When will I leave Ohio?

1       2       3              2485      
       2487              5889       5890       end