Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2484

1       2       3              2484      
       2486              5890       5891       end

saph
Total Posts: 3699

Very nice Jose. Cool shot of the ruins with Vesuvius in the background.

asiostygius wrote:
From the same point a closer view of Vesuvius with the 85/1.8 K (4-shots vrtical pano):

D7000 + Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 K ai'd &CPU'd, hand held, ISO 100, f/5.6 at 1/640s.
No polarizer here, so the haze is visible.

saph

Dustin, terrific ad for that 200 F4 lens.

Curtis, super nice flowers as always. The white flower reminds me, do you get chromatic aberration with that 105 1.8 in high contrast edges? I also got a 135 f2 AI and although that hasn't seen much action yet, from my reading it also will have CA. Curtis or anyone else here, any suggestions on getting rid of CA. PSE 11 that I got recently doesn't seem to offer any help.

Samy

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 16784

Reagan wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:
I'll be expecting some of that home brew Leighton, as well as a trip to the brew pub...

Craft beer is not cheap here either. A pint at Iron Springs during "happy hour" is $4 and at other times $5. Higher alcohol content brews are a bit more and the really strong stuff comes only in a ten ounce glass. A large bottle of craft beer will go for between $4 and six or seven bucks. We're blessed to have a number of brew pubs and an outstanding craft brewery called Lagunitas, so there is considerable choice available.

But compared with the cost of a good bottle of single malt Scotch whisky, beer is cheap. They have a sale on at BevMo for my favorite Islay Scotch, Lagavulin for just over seventy dollars a bottle. I think I'll pass... Remarkable that despite the favorable exchange rate, Scotch prices have not come down...

There was some pretty good craft beer during your visit here. "The Little House" had 20 on draft and some good food and company too
Can't remember the waitress name but I remember what she looked like

Reagan

We did very well Reagan... I certainly enjoyed the company, the excellent beer and our lovely waitress. I was shocked when the owner mentioned her familiarity and love of Lagunitas beer which hails from my neck of the woods. What a great place that is!

CGrindahl

Samy, I don't look that closely at my images, so if chromatic aberration is present I tend to ignore it. I'm pretty certain that Lightroom has a slider for dealing with it and you could also use the adjustment brush to reduce saturation where it appears. My guess is that others will have a solution for you.

CGrindahl

Wonderful first images from Italy Jose. I'll look forward to your travelogue.

CGrindahl

Blossoms close at hand are enticing me to pick up my camera. Here are a few shots taken this afternoon with the 105 f/1.8 AI-s with two extension tubes attached, the PK-11a and PK12. The PK-13 wasn't handy so this is it...

saph

Thanks Curtis, I have played around with the saturation and hue sliders for cyan and magenta. That may be the best way in PSE.

Here's some bokeh treatment, first with 55 1.2S, the next with the 105 1.8 AIS.

CGrindahl

Wonderful Samy... never too much fine bokeh for me, here from two of Nikon's great MF lenses. Can't go wrong with either one. Well done.

mp356
Total Posts: 5639

CGrindahl wrote:
I mounted the 300 f/4.5 AI-s ED-IF, largely because it was sitting on a cabinet in the living room when I noticed the blossoms on my neighbor's tree. This is what I caught...

Wide open, hand held... is there another way?

Nice work with the 300 Curtis.

mp356

Dustin Gent wrote:
Here is one from a 200mm f/4 that I am selling here on the B&S forums . Bought this for my trip to Yosemite to try to shoot the FireFalls, but conditions were not that great for me to sit around for

Nice b&w Dustin. The 200 f4 is a nice lens.

mp356

asiostygius wrote:
Thanks Peter, Ray, Leighton, and Curtis but
No more tests for the sake of most people over here!!

The first from Pompeii, I was at southern border of the ancient city looking to Vesuvius, ~9.5 km away. Foreground is a "restored" vineyard originally in the same place 2000 years ago. Even with a polarizer, the atmosphere was not freed from haze at all.

Vesuvius from southern border of Pompeii01-CPL-web2 by labecoaves, on Flickr

D7000 + Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 ais CPU'd + CPL filter, hand held , f/8 at 1/250s.

Very nice image Jose. Nice sky and interesting foreground.

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

Jose those are extraordinary photos. A trip of a life time. I agree whole heartily with all who commented.
Curtis you haven't changed a bit since the days of Citroen Dyane. Your flower shots are wonderful and definitely my inspiration! Speaking of the little pub with the great selection of brews.

Ronny congrats on the new lens. It is a beautiful thing to behold!
Samy nice catch by the river and your bokeh treatment is first rate!

Reagan
Total Posts: 4619

CGrindahl wrote:
Wonderful Samy... never too much fine bokeh for me, here from two of Nikon's great MF lenses. Can't go wrong with either one. Well done.

Well Done Samy always love the 1.2

Curtis, Excellent set of flowers

Reagan

MDoc9523

Here are a few from today with the 85mm 1.4. Getting some more use from my D7000 before it leaves to find it's new home.

Reagan
Total Posts: 4619

I thought the American blonde brew was the best
Too bad we still can't get see any lovely Swedes or French ones

Reagan

asiostygius
Total Posts: 3289

Thanks all for the comments.

Curtis, the flower set is gorgeous;
Samy, liked the bokeh playing;
Ray, the second flower (yellow) is spetacular.

One last before bed: a closer view of one of many vineyards inside Pompeii. The wall at background is the original one delimiting the vineyard inside the town.

Ancient Pompeii vineyard by labecoaves, on Flickr

D7000 + Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 ais CPU'd, ISO 200 f/5.6 at 1/640s, hand held. ~15% cropped.

MDoc9523

CGrindahl wrote:
Great contribution Jose. I'm not certain it will make Ray's decision any easier, however. I HATE neutral density filters that not only darken the image but also the viewfinder. Needless to say, midday shooting with fast lenses is not going to happen except in winter months when the sun is low in the sky.

Good luck sorting it all out Ray.

Thank you Curtis I just found out that the D7100 also has a low 50 iso setting along with the 1/8000 speed. That should help a lot with wide open daylight shots.

jhinkey
Total Posts: 8410

Last day for Nikki in Seattle. Here's a few. Images to Leighton later tonight for updating the blog.

jhinkey
Total Posts: 8410

That's it. That's a wrap.
Last blog post is off to Leighton - tomorrow Nikki gets packed up and sent off to Tony in CA.

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 2486

asiostygius wrote:
kings_freak wrote:
rafaelcasd wrote:
georgms wrote:
Rafael - what a beautiful set! My favs are the "Driveway" and the last shot. That 25-50 is tempting ;-)

Georg, the 25-50mm is very useful for daytime and flash work, it is wickedly sharp from 5.6 up and so well built, a bit heavy and large. I allows one to frame the shot while beign as good as any prime on its aperture range.

most of the pics I posted were of the 16mm, here is a couple more of the 25-50mm, this house belongs to a family friend, my dad's was sold long ago. I had an "Out of Africa" longing for the place and this picture reminds me of it.

Wow, that is a beautiful tree! Great capture.

–Tony

+1
Rafael, your images are so crisp and clean as those of Philippe. Did you drink cognac too to make these spetacular PP?

No Jose, something special (Scotch)

1       2       3              2484      
       2486              5890       5891       end