Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2476

1       2       3              2476      
       2478              5891       5892       end

rankamateur
Total Posts: 877

leighton w wrote:
georgms wrote:
I've shot nothing really personal in the last days. Here's an image taken with the 24/2Ai, a helicopter on the ground.
A SB-800 was fired via Pocket-Wizards to illuminate the cockpit. The rotor-placement could have been better ;-(
I've asked the pilot to switch the headlamps on, but it wasn't possible for some technical reasons.

D3s, 24/2Ai at f/8, 1/250sec at ISO200

Great use of the flash to make what would have been a snap shot in to a wonderful image.

For a second I could not see struts and thought it was a trick shot! DOH Great image

rankamateur
Total Posts: 877

Man these prices seem high for 1957. No wonder people bought a ton of Vivatar lenses for their Nikon.

MarkdV
Total Posts: 1152

georgms wrote:
rafaelcasd wrote:
georgms wrote:
Rafael - what a beautiful set! My favs are the "Driveway" and the last shot. That 25-50 is tempting ;-)

Georg, the 25-50mm is very useful for daytime and flash work, it is wickedly sharp from 5.6 up and so well built, a bit heavy and large. I allows one to frame the shot while beign as good as any prime on its aperture range.

most of the pics I posted were of the 16mm, here is a couple more of the 25-50mm, this house belongs to a family friend, my dad's was sold long ago. I had an "Out of Africa" longing for the place and this picture reminds me of it.

Rafael, thanks for posting these beautiful examples! The 25-50 would make a nice combo with the 16/3.5 (as demonstrated by you) and a short tele-lens like a fast 105 or so.
A fast 35 would fit in this hypothetical kit nicely too.
Btw, that's a fantastic place, overlooking a lake - it doesn't get much better.

Great set Rafael,
The shot of the the house reminds me of staying on a coffee plantation in Africa. Aslo your work with the 16mm really is incredble and shows the strength of this lens. Please stop making me want one!

leighton w
Total Posts: 12621

rankamateur wrote:
Man these prices seem high for 1957. No wonder people bought a ton of Vivatar lenses for their Nikon.

Was Vivatar even around then?

Zichar
Total Posts: 3761

Wow Rafael, that's straight from a storybook!

Well done Georg. Love the look on the pilot's face, a let's-get-this-done-and-over-with look

Zichar
Total Posts: 3761

Something totally uninteresting I suppose
Soft-close hinges... the good stuff I'm told

45PCE full tilt

zl_uppser_04 by Zichar, on Flickr

MarkdV
Total Posts: 1152

leighton w wrote:
georgms wrote:
I've shot nothing really personal in the last days. Here's an image taken with the 24/2Ai, a helicopter on the ground.
A SB-800 was fired via Pocket-Wizards to illuminate the cockpit. The rotor-placement could have been better ;-(
I've asked the pilot to switch the headlamps on, but it wasn't possible for some technical reasons.

Great use of the flash to make what would have been a snap shot in to a wonderful image.

+1 - Really well done shot, lovely work.

asiostygius
Total Posts: 3289

Well, after arriving from my trip I took 4 days to read over 45 pages on this thread!

So many great conversations and images, I just will comment a tiny fraction in the next posts.

Just yesterday my new D600 arrived (bought by impulse that great priced promotional kit with a "garbage" AF lens, which I will put to sell soon) and now my trusty D3 is being sold.

Before Italy (need to process a huge amount of images) I am posting some of the first shots with the D600 + my beloved Nikki's daughter, another storm coming yesterday late afternoon:

Storm coming - 5 vertical shots pano with Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 K ai'd by labecoaves, on Flickr

5 vertical shots pano, 85mm f/1.8 K ai'd and CPU'd, f/5.6 at 1/60s, ISO 1600, window sill supported.
Jpges straight from the camera + slight PP.

I know it is too early, but generally I am impressed by this 24mp FX sensor; and I feel Nikki's daughter shines on it

asiostygius

leighton w wrote:
georgms wrote:
Thanks for the kind comments on the fisheye- and fast 55-shots!
Inspired by John I've tried my old 135/3.5 Ai this late afternoon:

IIIIIoII von georgsfoto auf Flickr
135/3.5 Ai at f/5.6, D3s

ANOTHER fantastic image.

+1, deserves another look! And I liked the colour version too!

asiostygius

MDoc9523 wrote:
I took a trip to Honeymoon Island today to do some shooting with my 300mm 4.5 EDIF with the TC-14a. Before the rains came I was treated to my favorite honeymoon couple the Great Horned Owls. They have two new babies again this year. I was lucky enough a few years ago to get photos of them mating and seems as though they are still busy in that regard. There were many photogs there including a few of those Canon people

WOW, Ray and Rafael, you are killing me with these spetacular raptor shots!!

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

Monty wonderful image

Ron what a beautiful setting
Rafael great use of the 16mm 3.5 - outstanding
Curtis the flower shot is terrific. Now that spring is in the air in Cali I am sure there are more to come
Jose great work with the 500mm
Georg this one is terrific

Chin I can see a great deal of potential in that lens! Great example

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

leighton w wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:
What to do. what to do. what to do. I think I have my D7000 w/kit lens sold. Now do I wait to get the D7100 or, go for the D600 for sale locally for $1500 with 1000 actuations or a refurbished one or one listed on the B&S?

CGrindahl wrote:
Whoa! I can't believe I'm reading this! Ray without a DX camera? After all the glowing comments about the D7100?

You know what a big fan I am of FX cameras Ray, but the problems the D600 is having would make it a tough buy for me. Of course, Leighton could have a different opinion and his would be based on first hand experience rather than cyber chatter. I'd definitely solicit his opinion before deciding. Of course, if your camera is soon gone, you'll have a three week wait before the D7100 is available and that assumes it arrives when promised. B&H says March 21...

Good luck Ray. I've no doubt that whatever camera is in your hand you'll make fine music with it...

Ray, the one thing I do know is that it wouldn't matter WHAT camera you were using, the images would be great.

When I first got my D600 after selling my D7000 I wasn't happy with my images. I thought and still do that the D7000 metered better than the D600 right out of camera. BUT, and this is a big but, after I started working with those 24mp FX raw files I was blown away! Shooting raw lets me address any of the so-called shortcomings that I might see in the metering system. The cropping ability is so good that it almost eliminates the need for some long lenses. The other thing I noticed first off is what a BIG viewfinder it has and that focusing these good old lenses just became that much easier.

Now for the down and dirty (pun intended). Some of the D600's have an issue with dust/oil. Mine had a lot of spots after about 1000 shots so I decided to wet clean the sensor. I'm happy to say that took care of the problem, at least for now. I've read reports that it goes away after 3000 shots, but who really knows. It's just not an issue for me anymore. ALL DSLR's are going to need their sensors cleaned from time to time so the user might as well get used to doing it. It's really not hard as I'm sure you're aware. If you can tear down lenses, you can certainly wet clean a sensor.

Overall, I'm happy I made the switch mainly for two reasons. The first being that wonderfully big and bright viewfinder. And secondly, the change in focal length perspective. This might go back to my old film days, I don't know. But I like knowing that a 50mm is a 50mm and not a 75mm on a DX sensor, sounds silly doesn't it?

Having said all of that, the D7100 looks like a great camera on paper. But I'm sure people will find all of it's "problems" in due time.

Maybe you and Reagan can get together and you can try out his D600 before making a decision.

Hope this helps.

Leighton this is a tremendous help. Exactly what I was looking for. All I have to do is weigh the pros and cons of each and at least try it out before I buy either. Hell maybe I will get both

asiostygius

jhinkey wrote:
Here's some more from today with the 135/3.5 AIS and 16/3.5 AI.

John
Jaw dropping John!

asiostygius

rafaelcasd wrote:
But maybe bigger is better after all

nikon nikkor 400mm 3.5 at 5.6 TC16A D800 Redtail Hawk by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Isn't it?

nikon nikkor 400mm 3.5 at 5.6 TC16A D800 Redtail Hawk crop by Rafael CA, on Flickr

I am a retired birder after these shots, now my job is only odd extreme macros and mean landscapes...

asiostygius

Paul Gabel wrote:
Thank you all for your kind comments on my concert series. Now for something completely different: three shots with the 20mm/3.5 and one with the 28mm/3.5 PC (unshifted). Shots taken a week ago during a walk with my wife passing Durgerdam, just north of Amsterdam. My first outing with the shift lens; it was freezing cold and I didn't want my wife to put up with me figuring out how the shift works.

Swan couple distrusting my moves with tripod and shift lens:

_PG24302 by Apapa56, on Flickr

Paul

Lovely capture Paul!

asiostygius

kings_freak wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:
All of the talk about the 85mm 1.4 AIS I had to get out today for some shots of NMFL's Monty you MUST keep this lens. It is a real gem!

The colors are SO vibrant in these Ray. Great job!

–Tony

+1, Fantastic image!

asiostygius

rafaelcasd wrote:
Just a quick note that the 400mm 3.5 with the TC16a does work well enough for the D800 but is not as sharp as the same lens with the TC300.

Here is an secretary bird with the TC300 on a D3

secretary bird 2 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

and a crop of it

100 percent crop secretary bird Nikon Nikkor 400mmf3.5 and TC300 TC301 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Unbelievably sharp Rafael.
I never liked the TC300/301, but in your hands there is no argument against it!

asiostygius

leighton w wrote:
Crazy weather, we had a snow storm that left an inch or two this morning, then it all melted followed by a rain shower a little while ago. And then this rainbow popped out with the end of it right in our lane, I haven't see one with this intense colors in a long time.

Stunning rainbow.
I never managed to capture a so rich colours rainbow as yours!

asiostygius

MDoc9523 wrote:
Here are some Eagle shots from today. These birds are amazing to watch.They are so majestic that I didn't want to leave! All of these were shot with the D7000 and the 300mm 4.5 EDIF all were wide open save the second one at F11

Definitively, you are killing me!
Another jaw dropping raptor set!

asiostygius

kwoodard wrote:
One more for tonight. 80-200mm, composite of 2 shots (one of the tree and one of the moon, its in the same location, just wanted a sharp moon) then otherwise played with in PS...

DSC_6782b by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Gorgeous image!!

1       2       3              2476      
       2478              5891       5892       end