2463              4321       4322       end

Lieutenant Z
Total Posts: 3019

bruni wrote:
mp356 wrote:
Lieutenant Z wrote:
B/W with 24 PC E :

+1
Phillippe - how close were you to that boy ? .

ben

Ben, approximately 1 meter.

leighton w
Total Posts: 9493

pbraymond wrote:
Just hit Nikki's blog, you've done some wonderful work with that lens Leighton.

Ray

Thanks Ray!

Lieutenant Z
Total Posts: 3019

Z by Z
24 PC E

vpik01
Total Posts: 587

The weather in DC, while not awful is certainly lacking in certain color's this time of year. To help out with the drearyness here are a couple from my New Years trip to Jamaica.... my wife and I went with 3 other couples to an all-inclusive and spent 4 days lying on the beach. Pretty fantastic way to bring in the new year. I managed to get a couple shots with my 35/1.4 or 105/2.5 with the D600;

Jamaica - Club Caribbean Pano by Tony DeFilippo, on Flickr

Watersports by Tony DeFilippo, on Flickr

RED STRIPE by Tony DeFilippo, on Flickr

leighton w

It's going to be a busy day here today, we have 15 ewes due today or tomorrow. The second shot is what farming CAN look like. It's not always pretty animals out on nice green grass. I've just added the link as some may find it disturbing.

BTW, the last day with Nikki before going to Ray.

http://flic.kr/p/dLbF14

djjohnr13
Total Posts: 30

georgmx and oosty: Thanks for the kind words.

ronny: I like your color selection in the lamp shot.

mike-in-ak: Nice composition. Do you have any landscape orientation pictures with a close foreground taken with the 28 f/2.0 you can post (around f/8-f/11)? My 28 f/3.5 has too much field curvature in those situations and I'm trying to see if the 2.0 will work for me or if I need to spend more on the 1.8G.

leighton w

Philippe - Love the self portrait, now let's see the real you!

Tony - You had to go and rub it in, didn't you?

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 1485

Just been rushing about taking care of business, just today I had to run to the western union office and send a telegram. It is cold over here but the wires are unaffected.
(The D800 is a waste of pixels and bytes for this type of photography)

nikon nikkor 50mm 1.2 at 1.2 D800 nik film effects western union by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 50mm 1.2 at 2.0 D800 nik film effects western union by Rafael CA, on Flickr

sbarricklow
Total Posts: 2103

This is a Black Swallowtail butterfly larva that hatched around New Year's on some dill weed that my wife bought, which presented an opportunity to use my Nikon 200 mm f4 macro lens.

Mishu01
Total Posts: 2390

leighton w wrote:
It's going to be a busy day here today, we have 15 ewes due today or tomorrow.

Leighton, this is really one of the best images from Nikki I ever seen! Great capture man! And very good PP!

mike-in-ak
Total Posts: 221

djjohnr13 wrote:

mike-in-ak: Nice composition. Do you have any landscape orientation pictures with a close foreground taken with the 28 f/2.0 you can post (around f/8-f/11)? My 28 f/3.5 has too much field curvature in those situations and I'm trying to see if the 2.0 will work for me or if I need to spend more on the 1.8G.

I don't think I have ever shot with anything higher than an /2.8 with either the 28 or 24. I specifically bought them for night work.

Here is one from the night of March 9, 2012 at the Alaska Veteran's Memorial MP 147 of the Parks Highway.

D700 - Nikkor 28mm /2.0 AI - ISO 800 - 6 secs - /2.8

The roofs in the foreground were just about 10 feet away. There is a bit of convergence. That is why I tend not to shoot the Aurora with anything wider than 20mm. I have seen some great shots with super-wides / fish-eyes when the lights are running from horizon to horizon but the distortion is more than my personal taste cares for.

asiostygius
Total Posts: 2645

Philippe, I loved this one:

asiostygius
Total Posts: 2645

mike-in-ak wrote:
djjohnr13 wrote:

I don't think I have ever shot with anything higher than an /2.8 with either the 28 or 24. I specifically bought them for night work.

Here is one from the night of March 9, 2012 at the Alaska Veteran's Memorial MP 147 of the Parks Highway.

The roofs in the foreground were just about 10 feet away. There is a bit of convergence. That is why I tend not to shoot the Aurora with anything wider than 20mm. I have seen some great shots with super-wides / fish-eyes when the lights are running from horizon to horizon but the distortion is more than my personal taste cares for.

Another splendid capture Mike!

mp356
Total Posts: 4354

Lieutenant Z wrote:
Z by Z
24 PC E

Very nice Philippe. Love the texture and color in the tiles.
Scott

djjohnr13
Total Posts: 30

Thanks Mike. By field curvature I meant curvature of the focal plane leading to OOF corners when the plane is close to you.

I prefer the diagonal placement of the lights that you've used as it gives a sense of movement to the them in relation to the stillness of the foreground.

mp356

leighton w wrote:
It's going to be a busy day here today, we have 15 ewes due today or tomorrow. The second shot is what farming CAN look like. It's not always pretty animals out on nice green grass. I've just added the link as some may find it disturbing.

BTW, the last day with Nikki before going to Ray.

http://flic.kr/p/dLbF14

Leighton, this is a very nice image. That little guy (gal) is very cute!

You are doing great work with Nikki. I know how much fun it was to shoot with her and it will be hard to send her on her way.
Scott

mp356

rafaelcasd wrote:
Just been rushing about taking care of business, just today I had to run to the western union office and send a telegram. It is cold over here but the wires are unaffected.
(The D800 is a waste of pixels and bytes for this type of photography)

nikon nikkor 50mm 1.2 at 1.2 D800 nik film effects western union by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Rafael, nice train station images. Where is this located?
Scott

mp356

mike-in-ak wrote:

Really like this one Mike!
Scott

bruni
Total Posts: 1425

Lieutenant Z wrote:
MarkdV wrote:
leighton w wrote:
My idea of modern art! I was out shooting yesterday and didn't realize I had my camera set to a 2 second timed shutter release. So I pushed the shutter button and it seemed real sluggish (duh). So I pushed it again and when it didn't act right I let the camera down from my eye and at just that moment, it fired and this is the resulting image. I wonder if I can sell it for a million bucks!

I had mine on manual at 1/3rd of a second - trying to catch a moving merry-go-round.
No matter how good your lens is (in this case the 35-70), it turns out it will never be sharp in those conditions.

45 million bucks !

+1

Leighton, Mark - great stuff. Leighton - yours is very abstract but still looks quite ordered.

ben

bruni
Total Posts: 1425

Thanks Leighton, Scott, Ronny, Georg, Tony D.

Tony D - I'm using tilt and shift - mostly shift - but it's early days. All the images I posted used some movement . It's a very particular lens - got a lot to learn about it before I figure out how to use its capacities - especially tilt.

It's a very particular lens with lots of "problems" - distortion, severe fall off. But It focusses insanely closely.

Phillippe says he was about a metre from the boy in his bridge shot - well, he looks like he was an inch away from those tiles - yes, it focusses that close.

ben

1       2       3              2461      
       2463              4321       4322       end