2460              3819       3820       end

jhinkey
Total Posts: 5229

bruni wrote:
leighton w wrote:
jhinkey wrote:
mp356 wrote:
jhinkey wrote:
Need some more rust images. Found these corroding railings and I could not resist.
105/2.5 AIS at MFD and wide open. It's not super sharp, but sharpness ain't everything there is to make an interesting image.

- John

John, nice rust, love rust, good rust, more rust....... Nice image.

Thanks Scott - I have an even better image taken with a MF lens, but alas it is made by Voigtlander . . . .

After yesterday the Voigtlander 90/3.5 CV might just replace my 105/2.5 AIS - whew! There I said it. Never thought I would say such a thing. Not a knock on the 105/2.5 - it's still a great lens, but the CV is just a little sharper, lighter and focuses much closer all of which comes in handy. It's just not 105mm which is a shame.

John

Blasphemous!!!

yeah blasphemy John. And as Curtis isn't here - let me say - I agree. It's a wonderful lens. Very sharp - great colour too, and as you say - very small and light for a 90.

ben

Yes, yes, blasphemous it is. The 105/2.5 AIS is not going away any time soon - it's still 105mm and it's f/2.5.
I have a 135/2.8AIS on the way and a 135/3.5 AI or AIS soon and we'll see how those guys do.

I don find that sometimes I pick a lens to take based on the ability to post images in this thread as opposed to the much less personable Landscape, Best Nikon Images, etc. threads.

John

huddy
Total Posts: 1818

djjohnr13 wrote:
I'm looking to replace my 28mm f/3.5 ai-s for landscape work on a D800E; field curvature is too severe, even stopped down to f/8-11. I'm trying to decide if a 28 f/2.0 will work for me but I'm having a hard time finding any examples of the edges stopped down. Can anyone who owns this lens post an image that gives a clear indication of corner performance at f/8 with a close foreground (field curvature on the 3.5 is only a problem on shots where the foreground is only a few feet away).

Mihai, user Mishu01, posted some shots way long ago with a D800 and 28/2. You might PM him too.

Sam and Mike, welcome! Some very nice shots.

Georg, nice set there. I really like the first.

Philippe, your work with the PC lenses just keeps getting better.

Leighton, everything looks beautiful enough there to make the morning chores a pleasure.

Ronny _Olsson
Total Posts: 1864

Thanks

Great shot Tony
Amazing shots from Gerorg and Z
Wonderful shot from Ray and Mark
Really good shot from Scott and Leighton

Lovely thread this..with incredible photographers

leighton w
Total Posts: 8616

Thanks guys for the kind remarks!

leighton w

***** BLOG UPDATE *****

Leighton's second post.

http://aroundtheworldwithanikonlens.blogspot.com/2013/01/leightons-second-post_12.html

pbraymond
Total Posts: 1016

georgms wrote:
Some images taken today:

Snow and sun - hurray! I've shot this with the lens stuck in a railing and could kick myself for cutting off the lower part of the jetty :-(
D3s, 28/3.5PC at f/11

I know it's already been seen a bunch of times, but it's worth it. I've see a lot of wonderful images in the past few pages, this one tops it for me!! Excellent work Georg.

Ray

pbraymond

And now for some other pictures that caught my attention...

Phillipe again with the PCE at the bridge, just wonderful use of the PCE lens, engaging the viewer while being artistic.

Nice alpenglow capture, Leighton.

Mike and the Corona capture - another wow!

Kevin, I really like the white building against the vast blue sky expanse.

pbraymond

Went for a short outing with a couple of friends. First picture is nothing special, but provides context. The rest were fun to capture.

leighton w

I really like the red valves Ray. Makes me want to break out the 105.

djjohnr13
Total Posts: 30

Both - 85mm f/2.0 ai-s + D700

huddy
Total Posts: 1818

jhinkey wrote:
Yes, yes, blasphemous it is. The 105/2.5 AIS is not going away any time soon - it's still 105mm and it's f/2.5.
I have a 135/2.8AIS on the way and a 135/3.5 AI or AIS soon and we'll see how those guys do.

I don find that sometimes I pick a lens to take based on the ability to post images in this thread as opposed to the much less personable Landscape, Best Nikon Images, etc. threads.

John

It happens. I don't own the 35/1.4 AI-S even though it is probably my favorite MF Nikkor as I had more suitable needs for my kit. I certainly expect the day to come when most of shooting happens with bodies and lenses with the labels Mamiya, Fuji, Leica, and Zeiss ZM. I'll never sell all of my MF Nikkors (or all of my Nikon bodies) as there is so much to be said for the vibrant, welcoming community of people here in this thread. Here is to hoping that Nikon does something innovative and not iterative in the future of the mirrorless segment soon so that I can have a nice Nikon mirrorless body for posting in this thread. As great as the V1 is for less than $300, super long lenses, poor low light imaging, and massive DOF aren't exactly my cup of tea.

CanonGolfGuy
Total Posts: 207

I haven't posted in here in a while due to being too busy to take pictures. I picked up a 135mm F3.5 Ai-S for $45 the other day. I took this one more as a candid while my fiancÚ was putting her had up, but its a great lens, especially for $45.

Who says you need expensive lenses by whmeltonjr, on Flickr

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2401

Tried some reverse macro shots with the Series E 28mm. I want to say these were all taken at f/22, ISO100. Also, these are NOT cropped at all. I will post a shot later of the aperture numbers on the 80-200. They take up half the height horizontally of the frame.

Geode that I have had since I was little...

DSC_6088 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

DSC_6089 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Snowflake Obsidian...

DSC_6090 by Kevin.Woodard, on Flickr

Took a bunch of my family's gingerbread houses, haven't processed those yet.

georgms
Total Posts: 3065

Kevin, impressive macro- or micro-shots! I like the second one the most. Any guesses on the scale?

William, congrats to your 135/3.5! 45$ is a very good price. Beautiful portrait, no one would guess it was taken with "a cheap Nikkor".

djjohnr13, very nice detail-shots. The 85/2 is a bit under-represented here - thanks for changing this "shortcoming"!

Ray from Ohio - beautiful set! I like especially the red valves and the 20mm-view. I wonder how the first one would look as a rather contrasty B&W (maybe with a strong vignetting around the locomotive).

Mark, while I prefer the look of small old churches I really like your set from St Gallen. The organ is mighty indeed and my fav from your fine series.

Leighton, very nice early morning pictures! I like the "Sugarloaf Mt." the most.

Ray from Florida - the mountain-shots are really nice. Looking at the last one I wonder how this beautiful view would look if taken with a longer lens to emphasize the different shades of blue and the shapes of the mountains in the distance. John posted some stellar long-lens-mountain examples from Hawai (if memory serves).

Philippe, love your tilted bridge-portraits! The boy (cool two-fingers-brake-technique) looks so lost in thoughts - a perfect subject for the surreal tilt-look.

georgms
Total Posts: 3065

Ray, Ronny, Alan, Ben, Scott, John, Jeff, Ray, Chin, Kevin, Philippe and Leighton - thanks for your comments - I'm really glad you like the snow-pictures.

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2401

georgms wrote:
Kevin, impressive macro- or micro-shots! I like the second one the most. Any guesses on the scale?

I will check tomorrow to be sure, but I am thinking its about 1.4x actual size. The reverse macro of my 50mm are about .8x, so almost 1 to 1.

jhinkey
Total Posts: 5229

CanonGolfGuy wrote:
I haven't posted in here in a while due to being too busy to take pictures. I picked up a 135mm F3.5 Ai-S for $45 the other day. I took this one more as a candid while my fiancÚ was putting her had up, but its a great lens, especially for $45.

Was this wide open? If so it looks pretty sharp to me.

John

vpik01
Total Posts: 587

Ray, Like Leighton I really dig the red valves shot. Nice set altogether!

Tony D

vpik01
Total Posts: 587

For those of you who do flickr this will mean something.... one of my shot's with Nikki made it to 'EXPLORE'... not even one of my more favorite shots from that set but colorful and sharp - thanks to classic manual Nikkor glass!!

A very fickle and impossible to understand distinction, but it does result in significantly higher views than any other images. Pretty cool

Great Lens Adventure-DC-19 [EXPLORED] by Tony DeFilippo, on Flickr

CanonGolfGuy
Total Posts: 207

jhinkey wrote:
CanonGolfGuy wrote:

Was this wide open? If so it looks pretty sharp to me.

John

Hi John,

Yes, it was. I've actually only shot it wide open so far. It seems to do pretty well there. Focus ring is a bit stiff, but I can't complain.

William

1       2       3              2458      
       2460              3819       3820       end