Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2443

1       2       3              2443      
2444
       2445              3822       3823       end

MarkdV
Registered: Jul 05, 2012
Total Posts: 658
Country: Switzerland

1 weekend away and 10 pages to catch up on, that's the great thing about coming back as you know there's a pile of goodies to look through.

Laura - I like your shot of the train bridge, such a beautiful gold colour in the sky against the iron grey structure.
Scott - nice pic of the old farm house.
Monty - like the black top beer shot and the face of the lady as her drink is poured.
James - that 35mm sure looks sharp, and a beautiful set of crystal.
Ben - amazing shots with that 50mm, hard to pic a favourite, they are all great and each one has something different.
Philippe - as always brilliant work with the PCE, both the canal and the roof tiles.
Leighton - continuing incredible work with Nikki, love the B&W of Jefferson's grave.
Chuong - you claim nothing much to shoot but you find interesting shots anywhere, the light in your series is great.
Ray - love Ice & wood, stunning. Love that 105mm.
Ronny - nice shots of your dog, but especially like the one of the old man and his shadow.
Georg - good shot of the kids playing around at the charity event, even if you can't get your shoes right.
Tony - nice hot rod pics, like the all white interior shot. Also the random seat in the middle of the field.
Rafael - amazing shots of the helicopters fighting the fires, and the all orange light shot as well. stunning stuff, you'd have to be mad to be a copter pilot! Incredible colours in your shots with the 400mm.
Eric - nice ones from Asheville
Jose - nice ones with the 16mm, good comparison of the filter effect. that red filter makes the sky really stand out.

There, now I'm up to date for the next few minutes.

Oh, thanks to everyone for your kind words on the 55mm and forest walk shots. Always appreciate the feedback.

Kind regards,
Mark.



pburke
Registered: Oct 08, 2010
Total Posts: 1654
Country: United States

Last weekend I set up a a lighting rig to take photos of stuff to sell online, and while doing that, I got curious how close I could get using the 300mm f4.5 ED IF using extension tubes (added the entire stack of K1 through K5). To have a detailed subject, I took off my old watch and put it in the "light box" which is really 20 feet of PVC pipes, elbows and T connectors from Home Depot for the frame, an old white bed sheet as diffuser/reflector, and some white paper for background, lit by old Canon 540ez and Nikon SB-16 set up as slaves, gaffer-taped kleenex diffuser on the D600 on-camera flash, wireless remote, tripod). whibal card for color.

The watch was about 4 feet from front of lens, about 50% crop of the full frame, f11, iso 100 on D600 shot in bulb mode in a dark room; dof is about 0.25" at that distance







1:1 pixel crop







and here's how the D7000 photo came out using the 105mm f2.5 with K3 extension tube and the same lighting rig. Only slight editing on the bottom of the camera to remove the base it was resting on. Not bad for a $8 investment in PVC pipes and parts at Home Depot.







should have cleaned the dust off at the lens release button







Peter (who now has to restrain himself from jumping on the next best 20mm Nikkor he finds, a lens that on DX didn't make any sense, but now ...)



jhinkey
Registered: Jan 08, 2010
Total Posts: 5229
Country: United States

asiostygius wrote:
Just experimenting my oldest lens, the 16mm f/3.5 F ai´d, specifically regarding the built in filters.
Nothing special, just the South view from my kitchen window.
A test of what the built in Red filter can produce in this old lens. I think the result is similar what would be for a B & W film.
It looks like the Red filter can be very handy for those of you that photograph extensively in B & W.



Nikkor 16mm f/3.5 F ai'd test by labecoaves, on Flickr


Top: regular colour photo - lens filter position "N", 1/800s;

Middle: regular in camera B & W mode - lens filter position "N", 1/800s;

Bottom: B & W mode + lens filter position "RED", 1/200s.

All photos with D3, ISO 200 at f/5.6.
The red filter delivers darker sky with contrasting clouds.



Thanks for doing that Jose. I've only moved my filters off off the N position once - by accident. The lens is so wonderful that I don't want to screw it up!

It would be interesting to see how well you can do for B&W in post versus using the filter.

John



pburke
Registered: Oct 08, 2010
Total Posts: 1654
Country: United States

jhinkey wrote: It would be interesting to see how well you can do for B&W in post versus using the filter.

John


I think if you shoot RAW, you should be able to mimic any filter in post, not losing light, dynamic range or sharpness at time of exposure. Graduated filters are different, though, but that's not applicable with the 16mm lens drop-ins.



MarkdV
Registered: Jul 05, 2012
Total Posts: 658
Country: Switzerland

Some shots with the 180mm from around Zürich, trying different subjects with this amazing lens.



monkey
Registered: Dec 05, 2003
Total Posts: 34
Country: United States


Thank you so much! You answered my next question...
"Which lenses would be the best to look for?"

Looks like I will be spending a lot of time between classes searching ebay and other sites for good used lenses.

Thanks again.


Mishu01 wrote:
Zeiss will give you deluxe build quality and excellent optic but for a premium price.

If you have time to look for older Nikkors there are gems with great optic and solid build quality for a fraction of the cost of a Zeiss lens.

Several lenses I love very much from MF Nikkors are:

28/2 AI-S
45/2.8 AI-P
55/1.2 AI
105/2.5 all versions

But there are many other great lenses that deserves attention like:

28/2.8 AI-S
35/1.4 AI-S
50/1.2 AI-S
50/1.8 AI-S
55/2.8 AI-S macro
85/1.4 AI-S
105/1.8 AI-S
135/2 AI-S
180/2.8 AI-S
and so on... some of them are not quite inexpensive...

what it is important is to have a camera with a bright and large viewfinder... but you can practically do it with any camera.

one extra thing: if you use chipped zeiss glass (ZE2) you can meter on any Nikon DSLR. If you use non-chipped Zeiss or older AI-S Nikkors you can meter only on cameras like D200, D300, D7000, D700, D3, D4, D800, D600... on other entry level bodies you will have to use Sunny 16 rule as a starting point and to adjust if necessary.

Good luck in the new adventure!

monkey wrote:
Hi!
I stumbled upon this thread and I'm kind of confused...
There are so many wonderful photos and great information, but I am noticing that a lot of it seems to get repeated and I'm lost. I hope my questions aren't stupid or annoying and I can get some help.

I recently got a Nikon D50 at a steal and with it came the standard 18-55mm lens. I had the chance to shoot with a friends Carl Zeiss lens on his D700 and fell in love with it. I don't know much about manual photography but I found the images were so sharp and colorful.

If you were just beginning to learn photography and had the chance to get a manual lens or two, what would be your recommendation and why?

Should I stick with the Zeiss or the Nikon? What is the true difference?

Any and all help/ideas are appreciated.

Munkii




Mishu01
Registered: Nov 20, 2009
Total Posts: 2325
Country: Romania

You're welcomed! eBay is a good playground For many people KEH.com is a great place to shop and it is very safe.

Good luck and make sure to post in this thread when you'll start to build your kit!

monkey wrote:

Thank you so much! You answered my next question...
"Which lenses would be the best to look for?"

Looks like I will be spending a lot of time between classes searching ebay and other sites for good used lenses.

Thanks again.


Mishu01 wrote:
Zeiss will give you deluxe build quality and excellent optic but for a premium price.

If you have time to look for older Nikkors there are gems with great optic and solid build quality for a fraction of the cost of a Zeiss lens.

Several lenses I love very much from MF Nikkors are:

28/2 AI-S
45/2.8 AI-P
55/1.2 AI
105/2.5 all versions

But there are many other great lenses that deserves attention like:

28/2.8 AI-S
35/1.4 AI-S
50/1.2 AI-S
50/1.8 AI-S
55/2.8 AI-S macro
85/1.4 AI-S
105/1.8 AI-S
135/2 AI-S
180/2.8 AI-S
and so on... some of them are not quite inexpensive...

what it is important is to have a camera with a bright and large viewfinder... but you can practically do it with any camera.

one extra thing: if you use chipped zeiss glass (ZE2) you can meter on any Nikon DSLR. If you use non-chipped Zeiss or older AI-S Nikkors you can meter only on cameras like D200, D300, D7000, D700, D3, D4, D800, D600... on other entry level bodies you will have to use Sunny 16 rule as a starting point and to adjust if necessary.

Good luck in the new adventure!






jhinkey
Registered: Jan 08, 2010
Total Posts: 5229
Country: United States

monkey wrote:

Thank you so much! You answered my next question...
"Which lenses would be the best to look for?"

Looks like I will be spending a lot of time between classes searching ebay and other sites for good used lenses.

Thanks again.



If you need a list of on-line and off-line stores, both foreign and domestic that deal in MF Nikkors let us know. I've got quite and extensive list going.

- John



monkey
Registered: Dec 05, 2003
Total Posts: 34
Country: United States

I will! I will probably be back soon asking about prices. Unfortunately books for class seem to cost as much as a lens!

Mishu01 wrote:
You're welcomed! eBay is a good playground For many people KEH.com is a great place to shop and it is very safe.

Good luck and make sure to post in this thread when you'll start to build your kit!

monkey wrote:

Thank you so much! You answered my next question...
"Which lenses would be the best to look for?"

Looks like I will be spending a lot of time between classes searching ebay and other sites for good used lenses.

Thanks again.


Mishu01 wrote:
Zeiss will give you deluxe build quality and excellent optic but for a premium price.

If you have time to look for older Nikkors there are gems with great optic and solid build quality for a fraction of the cost of a Zeiss lens.

Several lenses I love very much from MF Nikkors are:

28/2 AI-S
45/2.8 AI-P
55/1.2 AI
105/2.5 all versions

But there are many other great lenses that deserves attention like:

28/2.8 AI-S
35/1.4 AI-S
50/1.2 AI-S
50/1.8 AI-S
55/2.8 AI-S macro
85/1.4 AI-S
105/1.8 AI-S
135/2 AI-S
180/2.8 AI-S
and so on... some of them are not quite inexpensive...

what it is important is to have a camera with a bright and large viewfinder... but you can practically do it with any camera.

one extra thing: if you use chipped zeiss glass (ZE2) you can meter on any Nikon DSLR. If you use non-chipped Zeiss or older AI-S Nikkors you can meter only on cameras like D200, D300, D7000, D700, D3, D4, D800, D600... on other entry level bodies you will have to use Sunny 16 rule as a starting point and to adjust if necessary.

Good luck in the new adventure!







anthonysemone
Registered: Mar 08, 2008
Total Posts: 4259
Country: United States

Hi folks,

I've not posted here in an age or two. I'll soon be putting up on the B&S board two pristine condition lenses: the 135/2Ai-s, and a 180/2.8 Ai-S ED version. I'm more than willing to talk price with you all, given the history I've had here with many of you and my regard for you all's photographic competency. PM me here if any of you have any interest in either or both.

EDIT: with great consternation, coupled with abject apologies, the 135/2 is NOT Ai-S, it is rather the Ai version. The 180/2.8 is indeed an Ai-S ED version serial # 4148xx

tony



mp356
Registered: May 31, 2009
Total Posts: 3968
Country: United States

MarkdV wrote:
Some shots with the 180mm from around Zürich, trying different subjects with this amazing lens.


Nice series Mark. I like the duck in the water with the concentric rings. Thank you for the comment on my image.
Scott



mp356
Registered: May 31, 2009
Total Posts: 3968
Country: United States

anthonysemone wrote:
Hi folks,

I've not posted here in an age or two. I'll soon be putting up on the B&S board two pristine condition lenses: the 135/2Ai-s, and a 180/2.8 Ai-S ED version. I'm more than willing to talk price with you all, given the history I've had here with many of you and my regard for you all's photographic competency. PM me here if any of you have any interest in either or both.

tony


Hi Tony
Good to hear from you again. I hope parting with these does not mean you are giving up on MF lenses.
Scott



anthonysemone
Registered: Mar 08, 2008
Total Posts: 4259
Country: United States

Hi Scott,

Nope, not giving up on MF, though I have begun to move toward using film for photos of folks who live on the street and a Fuji GA645Zi for some of the buildings and cityscapes here in Philly. I've still got my now ancient (2009) D700, a compliment of Zeiss ZF.2 lenses and my Nikon F5. Indeed I have no AF lenses in Nikon, my oldest son being the beneficiary of a bunch of them.

take care, tony



anthonysemone
Registered: Mar 08, 2008
Total Posts: 4259
Country: United States

I'm trying to learn how to do this:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1179009/0#11244330

and I can assure you it is a challenge both taken with permission and with my Contax G2 and 90/2.8



montym
Registered: Jul 19, 2003
Total Posts: 4692
Country: United States

A side of Rocky you may not be familiar with

He and Higgs play hard. This play time goes on for 10 minutes or so. It looks and sounds very vicious, but it is good play...




NightOwl Cat
Registered: Feb 19, 2007
Total Posts: 7198
Country: United States

Leighton, you're in luck, since Tony is selling off his 135

leighton w wrote:
Ronny, I like the the one of Nitro very much!

When I had my D7000 I yearned for a 135mm f2 because it would have given me a virtual 200mm f2. But since I've gone FF, the 135mm FL is not as tempting as it was. I still want a 135mm f2, but just not as bad. Actually, there's three lenses on my short list of to buy lenses. The 135mm f2, 85mm f1.4 and the 28 f2.8 or 2.



Thanks Leighton, yup, it's' a nice friendly spot, the lobster rolls are delicious, too.

leighton w wrote:
NightOwl Cat wrote:
Some First First Friday of 2013 fun at my usual spot








I really like this one Laura! Very well composed. Looks like a nice place to spend an evening.

Hard to tell, but from the markings I can see, it's either an osprey, or a turkey vulture. I'm leaning more towards osprey though.

Ronny _Olsson wrote:
Thanks.. Have been using Color Efex Pro to strengthen the light .. so no flash
was the middle of the day the picture was taken


Wow leighton !! last picture I like very much .. it's an eagle in the sky?



I'll agree with Leighton on that being a very scary photo. I can only imagine how fast those things move given the amount of fuel they have when they get going.

leighton w wrote:
rafaelcasd wrote:
This was fire number 4, about a year later, this one did some damage, late in the evening, only orange light available. 105mm 2.5. About 2004. Life is like this, the fire of being alive eventually takes you out.


tierrasanta fire 2 evening by Rafael CA, on Flickr



Now THAT'S a scary looking sight, great Capture.


Welcome back, Nancy, I'll be adding a few too , I got ambitious today. You Zoe is beautiful

waysaz wrote:
Haven't been around much lately, or even shooting. But at least I finally caught up on this thread! Continuing great work by all, and a very happy New Year.

Oosty wrote:
Can we have some more cats, please.


That I can help with.



Lovely set, Tony.

vpik01 wrote:
Finally getting back to my backlog, including several more shots from Nikki's pre-Christmas visit to DC. I think I'm 'through' the holidays now...




Thanks Tony, it does have difficult lighting, and you do have to watch out for folks walking through the shots.

kings_freak wrote:

Laura - Nice job shooting in, what looks like, a tough venue. Seems like a fun night!

Tony


+2

vpik01 wrote:
Eric - nice set from Asheville, that close up of the ice is particularly cool looking!

Rafael - great post about everyone's strengths, you really put some thought into that and it shows!



Jose, Love the fireworks and the bird shot!

asiostygius wrote:
Some of the first real world test shots with my recently acquired 50-135mm f/3.5 zoom.



Believe it or not, in a very informal comparison of 50-135/3.5 AIS @ 135mm vs. 135/3.5 AI vs. 135/2 AIS at infinity, the zoom leaves nothing to desired and it delivers similar (if not better ) sharpness in relation to the primes!
Thank you Leighton for open my eyes.
I am convinced this zoom will be in my bag during my vacations at Pompeii and Herculaneum next February


Anyone else have the gulls from Finding Nemo running through their head after seeing these?

Very nice Tony!

vpik01 wrote:
Thanks Leighton, will do. Probably this evening!

Jose - great fireworks shots and the feathers on that bird shot are incredible!

Couple non-Nikki shots from yesterday morning. D600 with 105/2.5, Hains Point is a National Park Service managed public space in the DC. It houses an 18 hole golf course and some other recreational facilities. The 3ish mile loop around it is really popular with road bikers and joggers. These shots of the seagulls are looking across the Potomac River towards Virginia.


Hains Point Flock 1 by Tony DeFilippo, on Flickr


Hains Point Flock 2 by Tony DeFilippo, on Flickr


Hains Point Flock 3 by Tony DeFilippo, on Flickr


Hains Point Flock 4 by Tony DeFilippo, on Flickr


Hains Point Flock 5 by Tony DeFilippo, on Flickr


Thanks Peter!

Oosty wrote:

Laura - a great series.


Thanks Mark, hope you had lots of fun on your trip

MarkdV wrote:
1 weekend away and 10 pages to catch up on, that's the great thing about coming back as you know there's a pile of goodies to look through.

Laura - I like your shot of the train bridge, such a beautiful gold colour in the sky against the iron grey structure.
Scott - nice pic of the old farm house.
Kind regards,
Mark.




that's a mighty fine rig you've got, maybe share a shot of the setup itsellf?

pburke wrote:
Last weekend I set up a a lighting rig to take photos of stuff to sell online, and while doing that, I got curious how close I could get using the 300mm f4.5 ED IF using extension tubes (added the entire stack of K1 through K5). To have a detailed subject, I took off my old watch and put it in the "light box" which is really 20 feet of PVC pipes, elbows and T connectors from Home Depot for the frame, an old white bed sheet as diffuser/reflector, and some white paper for background, lit by old Canon 540ez and Nikon SB-16 set up as slaves, gaffer-taped kleenex diffuser on the D600 on-camera flash, wireless remote, tripod). whibal card for color.

The watch was about 4 feet from front of lens, about 50% crop of the full frame, f11, iso 100 on D600 shot in bulb mode in a dark room; dof is about 0.25" at that distance







1:1 pixel crop







and here's how the D7000 photo came out using the 105mm f2.5 with K3 extension tube and the same lighting rig. Only slight editing on the bottom of the camera to remove the base it was resting on. Not bad for a $8 investment in PVC pipes and parts at Home Depot.







should have cleaned the dust off at the lens release button







Peter (who now has to restrain himself from jumping on the next best 20mm Nikkor he finds, a lens that on DX didn't make any sense, but now ...)







NightOwl Cat
Registered: Feb 19, 2007
Total Posts: 7198
Country: United States

And as promised, some cat shots from today



NightOwl Cat
Registered: Feb 19, 2007
Total Posts: 7198
Country: United States

These are all of Neko



vpik01
Registered: Feb 28, 2012
Total Posts: 587
Country: United States

Mark, awesome shot of the duck from above!



waysaz
Registered: Jan 13, 2005
Total Posts: 104
Country: United States

leighton w wrote:
Nancy - Good to see you again, I like the cat. We just lost one of our barn cats that looked a lot like this one.


Thanks Leighton, sad to hear about your kitty. Zoe's 15-1/2, diabetic, and willful. We suspect she'll make 20 just to punish us. Great stuff from Monticello, especially the branches and oof building.

Tony, lovely soft winter light. First is my winner, but I like #5 too. Bird patterns are fun.

Chin, love the emptiness and crop of "conceive".

Mark, the duck & rings is terrific.

Monty, love the dogfight. The sound effects are a riot, even with cats.

NightOwl Cat wrote:
And as promised, some cat shots from today

Welcome back, Nancy, I'll be adding a few too , I got ambitious today. You Zoe is beautiful.


Thanks Laura, Zoe knows she's a beauty. And yay! More kitties! Jerri in the window is a champ.

Rafael, amazing fire shots; glad we're far from that. A friend of ours lost his home in 2003. Sad. On a happier note, I'll raise you that same rainbow with the 105/2.5 (2-shot pano).



1       2       3              2443      
2444
       2445              3822       3823       end