Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2435

1       2       3              2435      
       2437              3822       3823       end

Lieutenant Z
Total Posts: 2840

bruni wrote:
Phillippe - I know you like those sort of shots - you take them yourself. I'm just copying you, but then, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I really loved your - Place de la Carrière pic - you didn't post it here. I didn't put a comment on flickr because it had so many already I thought it would just be lost in the crush - but it was a wonderful PCE shot.

Chin - it is very wrong of you to wind me up over the 24 PCE - you know I have no resistance. lol. none at all. And if Phillippe doesn't stop I'll end up in the poor house.

ben

Ben, not imitation at all , you have your own style for street shots!
About the Place de la Carrière shot : I posted that pic here a few days ago . Actually that shot is not fav, I prefer by far the "jean" picture but it seems that Flickr's folks don't like it )

bruni
Total Posts: 1419

Lieutenant Z wrote:
bruni wrote:
Phillippe - I know you like those sort of shots - you take them yourself. I'm just copying you, but then, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I really loved your - Place de la Carrière pic - you didn't post it here. I didn't put a comment on flickr because it had so many already I thought it would just be lost in the crush - but it was a wonderful PCE shot.

Chin - it is very wrong of you to wind me up over the 24 PCE - you know I have no resistance. lol. none at all. And if Phillippe doesn't stop I'll end up in the poor house.

ben

Ben, not imitation at all , you have your own style for street shots!
About the Place de la Carrière shot : I posted that pic here a few days ago . Actually that shot is not fav, I prefer by far the "jean" picture but it seems that Flickr's folks don't like it )

how did I miss that?

you prefer the jean picture? you mean the guy walking up stairs? "pas presse"? - that's interesting you think that. I thought it was an unusual shot for you. You caught the right moment, it's dynamic, but for me, something's missing - his head, obviously. lol.

But that's the point I think - that composition left me a bit confused. I wasn't sure what I was looking at - why was I looking at only his torso and legs - why he was cut off. I didn't understand the graffiti in the foreground and was distracted by it. Maybe it puzzled some of the other flickr folk too - but it got a lot of attention.

ben

Lieutenant Z

Ben thanks for comment much appreciated.
Photography is a matter of taste, that's why it is so interesting.
For my taste, my "Place de la Carrière" image is an easy shot, something banal like a postcard. I prefer when a picture tells a story and/or when there is a little bit of creativity

leighton w
Total Posts: 8617

John from Roanoke - I like the one of the engine's number. This is a place I could get lost in. Have you ever been to O. Winston Link's museum?

Scott - Beautiful scenery, but please keep the white stuff up there! You said historic, what's the story behind the house?

Tony - For a second there, I thought you ended up in jail! I love the shot.

Monty - Love the birthday set, especially the expression on the lady's face in the last one.

Jim - Very nice image, that lens performs admirably.

Peter - I'm enjoying your old scans, these MF lenses can do it all!

Philippe - You have done some marvelous work with that lens, keep them coming.

leighton w

bruni wrote:
played with the 50mm f1.8 ais today. Took the same pic of the ship with the zeiss 35 f2 - posted it on the zeiss thread - it's amazing how well the 50 mm compares.

ben

Voyager of the Seas - the nikon version by benmorgan28, on Flickr

Circular Quay by benmorgan28, on Flickr

Ben, I really like these two. I would love it if you provided the link of your shot with the Ziess, I'd like to see the difference.

The last image with the baby looking at you is outstanding. If you scroll the shot to the top of the page so it crops the image right above the carriage, to my mind, it becomes a killer shot. Well done!

bruni

Leighton - you're absolutely right - that makes the baby's face really pop - so much better. I'm too embarrassed to do it now - it'd be like stealing - but yes, I should have seen that - and thank you!!

here's the link;
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/860134/807#lastmessage

it's a single shot whereas the 50mm was a 2 shot stitch.

ben

leighton w

Ben, thanks for sharing the link. Although both versions you shot are wonderful, I don't see that much difference between the two. Looks to me that the Nikon has a tad more DR with it, while the Zeiss exhibits more contrast. I know people who use Zeiss swear by them but...

bruni

leighton w wrote:
Ben, thanks for sharing the link. Although both versions you shot are wonderful, I don't see that much difference between the two. Looks to me that the Nikon has a tad more DR with it, while the Zeiss exhibits more contrast. I know people who use Zeiss swear by them but...

Leighton - there's not much difference (and I processed them to look similar). The zeiss 35 f2 is wonderful (I'm currently lusting after the 35 f1.4) and that's not a proper example of it's abilities - but I was surprised myself at how good the 50mm f1.8 was. It's the long nose version - I can't remember, but I think it cost about $80. It was a very high contrast scene and both lenses had strong chromatic aberration - but yes, it's a great performer.

ben

Lieutenant Z

The 2/35 is not the best lens in the Zeiss line while the Nikon 50/1.8 is a good performer and -I think- one of the best Nikon MF
But that doesn't make any sense to compare these lenses with this type of shot. The 2/35 is good for closeups and low light especially wide open, it is not excellent for landscapes. And Zeiss most important advantage is about overall rendering or color and not about sharpness in corners, distorsion, micro contrast and so....

leighton w

Lieutenant Z wrote:
The 2/35 is not the best lens in the Zeiss line while the Nikon 50/1.8 is a good performer and -I think- one of the best Nikon MF
But that doesn't make any sense to compare these lenses with this type of shot. The 2/35 is good for closeups and low light especially wide open, it is not excellent for landscapes. And Zeiss most important advantage is about overall rendering or color and not about sharpness in corners, distorsion, micro contrast and so....

While I agree with you about the comparison, I actually like the color rendition of the 50mm Nikkor better, in this particular image.

SweetMk
Total Posts: 140

leighton w wrote:
John from Roanoke - I like the one of the engine's number. This is a place I could get lost in. Have you ever been to O. Winston Link's museum?

I have tried to go there, but, O does not like the competition!!

If you do go to the Transportation Museum in Roanoke, take a tripod, the model train display can require 50-100 pics alone!

There is a mezzanine to photograph from right next to the layout, getting the pics of the trains in motion could take a lot of time for just that part of your visit.

No tripod, hand held pic with the 105mm f1.8, NO VR!!

Many great cars, engine displays, some aircraft. a super photo opportunity!!

I love the amount of black at the museum. You can take a lot of color pics that are black and white.

Another 105mm f1.8 pic

When you put this pic in Photoshop, and hit the B&W button, almost nothing happens!! Amazing!

David Antilley
Total Posts: 312

leighton w wrote:
bruni wrote:
played with the 50mm f1.8 ais today. Took the same pic of the ship with the zeiss 35 f2 - posted it on the zeiss thread - it's amazing how well the 50 mm compares.

ben

Ben, I really like these two. I would love it if you provided the link of your shot with the Ziess, I'd like to see the difference.

The last image with the baby looking at you is outstanding. If you scroll the shot to the top of the page so it crops the image right above the carriage, to my mind, it becomes a killer shot. Well done!

I like the baby photo both ways. Un-cropped it a study with a surprise...you study the photo and when you then
discover the child it pops. The cropped version, my eye goes straight to the child as it is the only face.

Either way, it is outstanding.

David

leighton w

bruni wrote:

ben

leighton w wrote:

David Antilley wrote:
I like the baby photo both ways. Un-cropped it a study with a surprise...you study the photo and when you then
discover the child it pops. The cropped version, my eye goes straight to the child as it is the only face.

Either way, it is outstanding.

David

I totally agree with your assessment David. I love this image, I keep going back to look at it.

leighton w

leighton w wrote:

SweetMk wrote:
I have tried to go there, but, O does not like the competition!!

If you do go to the Transportation Museum in Roanoke, take a tripod, the model train display can require 50-100 pics alone!

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm not sure I'd like to visit without being able to shoot.

leighton w

Jefferson's Grave.

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 7198

Love these shots John, but this one's my favorite

jhinkey wrote:
A couple more from the last Sunday of 2012.
Boy do these lose sharpness when they are uploaded to FM!

John

Thanks Chin and Chuong, it's high time I got moving on this, classes start Tuesday. Wonder if my friend who plays and has been told by her husband "no more guitars" has one of these?

Zichar wrote:
Laura: Great that you're going back for classes, nice! Oh I had to google that up too, seems that it's a collapsible travel guitar

raboof wrote:
Laura, Chin got it right. It's a travel guitar. Enjoy your classes!

Mark, glad your friend is letting you play with some macro shots And thanks for the well wishes. Hoping I don't completely bomb these courses.

MarkdV wrote:
A couple with the 55mm f2.8 micro. The first is a 1cm long piece of shiny rock (and a lot of white backdrop) just using the 55mm on its own and the second is with 49mm of tubes onto a pice of Amber. Some of the details in this are sharp, the lens is just incredible. Thanks to my friend who let me play with some of his shops jewelry is return for some cataloguing.

Thanks Jose, then you've got really beautiful light to work with every time

asiostygius wrote:

Laura, I almost never use flash with birds (except owls at night, of course!), I prefer natural light besides the fact that some birds are disturbed by the flash

Oosty
Total Posts: 3946

Ben - you don't need to copy anyone, your style is great.

Phillippe - you will convince Ben to buy a PCe soon - it's in the stars

Phillipe and Leighton - thanks for the comment on the negative copy. The reason it's OOF is the primitive system I used - I'm sure the lens plane and film plane weren't parallel !

asiostygius
Total Posts: 2471

leighton w wrote:
bruni wrote:

ben

Ben, this is so rich in colours, crisp & sharp!

asiostygius
Total Posts: 2471

James Markus wrote:
Wow...Bravo to all of you! I couldn't even take time to read this thread...only skimmed the photos - OVER THE LAST THREE DAYS. There are a ton of great images over the last 80 some pages. Here is an image I took Christmas eve with my new to me - $82 dollar - minty, Nikkor 35mm f2.0 AI

Happy New Year!

Congrats James for the new lens at a very good price. Beautiful first image.

By the way, have you or anyone over here any idea of how the 35/2 AI or AIS compare with 35/1.4 AI/AIS specifically at f2?

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 7198

Lizzie, wow, that's some really beautiful light there! Not to mention all the dust you'd have to deal with in changing lenses outside, too, I bet.

LizzieShepherd wrote:

I'm recently back from a trip to Namibia - didn't use the manual lenses as much as I'd hoped simply because of lack of time to swap lenses - the light comes and goes so quickly. But here's one with the 24/2.8 AIS on the D800e.

Lizzie

Thanks Jeff. Killer beach shots

Foggy14 wrote:
Laura, good luck with your studies!

Thanks Peter, I've got to get back to work after this long hiatus, and this is a step in the right direction. I'll work on some cat shots soon, with ten cats here now, I should be able to provide some variety

Oosty wrote:

Laura - well done with going back to college but don't neglect the important stuff

Some lovely work with that D600 and Nikki, Leighton, and a great history lesson to go with it.

leighton w wrote:
Some more from Monitcello if you don't mind. Since the user of Nikki is allowed more then the recommended 4 images, I'm going to take advantage of that here.

There is a sort of underground tunnel system that runs under the main house and goes out beyond on both sides. The walls are lined with brick and stone with a plaster coating over most of it. There's also little windows at ground level for light.

I've got a couple that could use a good wash and polish, too.

Reagan wrote:

Just bought the wife a new car so I am working on polishing it also

Reagan

Thanks Leighton. The tunnel one I was carrying the camera bag fully loaded, and two bags with the new books, while trying to walk and shoot

leighton w wrote:
NightOwl Cat wrote:
Some from my trip to college Wednesday

I love all of these Laura!

Thanks Leighton. The tunnel one I was carrying the camera bag fully loaded, and two bags with the new books, while trying to walk and shoot

leighton w wrote:
NightOwl Cat wrote:
Some from my trip to college Wednesday

I love all of these Laura!

Anticipation is the worst, Hope they get there soon!

kwoodard wrote:
My MF lenses are in route... Man, talk about jonesing for something?! I hope they get hear tomorrow, but that is high hopes. More like Mon/Tue. I am excited for both, but that 80-200mm...drooling! It doesn't have as much reach as my old 300mm, but the clarity of the glass is several magnitudes better.

Thanks Lizzie!

LizzieShepherd wrote:
I don't think I can keep up but many thanks to all who commented on my Namibian pic! Amazing place and hard to go wrong there....
Forgive me for anything I've missed but just a few mentions:
Ronny - loved your dog shot - real atmosphere about it
Leighton - particularly liked the B&W shots - again, great feel to them
Jeff -surfer in the sun very striking
Laura - great eye, but to the garage my favourite....
Thanks again everyone, Lizzie

Nice shot Scott, looks like there was a little bit of snow flying while you were shooting, too

mp356 wrote:
Historic cobblestone farmhouse. Taken with 28 2.8 ais. Thanks for looking.
Scott

Love the look on her face, I'm guessing she's been spilled on by him before

montym wrote:
From a birthday party tonight.
All taken with my 85mm @ f/1.4

That is a beautiful decanter, James.

James Markus wrote:
Wow...Bravo to all of you! I couldn't even take time to read this thread...only skimmed the photos - OVER THE LAST THREE DAYS. There are a ton of great images over the last 80 some pages. Here is an image I took Christmas eve with my new to me - $82 dollar - minty, Nikkor 35mm f2.0 AI

Happy New Year!

I do try, Peter Thanks!

Oosty wrote:
Laura - you certainly hang out in some interesting places. Very nice images.

Scott - that looks like a seriously cold farm. Glad it's summer here! Great pic.

Monty - you have mastered that lens. When do you expect the PCE?

James - another excellent comp.

Love these two, Ben.

bruni wrote:

ben

Circular Quay by benmorgan28, on Flickr

Phillipe, I'm not looking at those PC-E shots.. nope, nope, not gonna do it

1       2       3              2435      
       2437              3822       3823       end