Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2354

1       2       3              2354      
       2356              5885       5886       end

jhinkey
Total Posts: 8398

jhinkey wrote:
Hey Chin - got an unexpected package from Singapore in the mail tonight. Caused quite the stir until we figured out from whom it came from.

My girls say thanks!

Photos to follow sometime tomorrow . . . .

And here are my lovely models showing off their international presents. They both wore them to school today . . .

135/2 AIS wide open at ISO 1600

a.RodriguezPix
Total Posts: 2236

a.Rodriguez.photo--4 by aNikkorGuy, on Flickr

a.RodriguezPix

a.Rodriguez.photo--12 by aNikkorGuy, on Flickr

huddy
Total Posts: 1885

I don't get to make it in to check in very often these days. I am still shooting when I get the chance. I broke out my all of my lenses longer than 50mm a couple days ago as I started fearing that I'd be tempted to get rid of them due to my general lack of use. On the positive, my extensive Leica and 35mm shooting has reminded me of just how little grain there is on a D700 at ISO 6400. Makes me think that I could easily get away with 12,800 for nice useable images in the right scenarios. So here is a high iso, telephoto sampler of some quiet times getting ready for bed:

180/2.8 ED AI-S, D700, ISO 6400

300/2.8 ED AI-S, D700, ISO 6400

huddy
Total Posts: 1885

Curtis, it's great to see you drop by.

Larry, also good to see you back in action here (and suffering from more NMFAS), I became concerned that we might not see you back for reasons entirely unrelated to photography.

Georg, that wooden tripod looks rather dapper. I feel like if I ever used a tripod with a Leica, it would need to be just like that one.

There are so many great images coming onto the thread. Good job everyone in enjoying the great lenses and photography in general, I'm always glad to see the wonderful work and the thread remaining active in my general absence.

kings_freak
Total Posts: 952

After I was done with an earlier road shot, a semi-truck was coming toward me. Since it was a single lane road, I decided to get out of his way. I drove up a little to make a u-turn and came across this small herd of buffalo! I had no idea that any of the local farms had them, so it was a pleasant surprise. Unfortunately, the longest lens I had was my 55mm, so I decided on a 6 shot panorama.

傍ony

Oh give me a hoooome... by T&J Photography, on Flickr

kings_freak

jhinkey wrote:
jhinkey wrote:
Hey Chin - got an unexpected package from Singapore in the mail tonight. Caused quite the stir until we figured out from whom it came from.

My girls say thanks!

Photos to follow sometime tomorrow . . . .

And here are my lovely models showing off their international presents. They both wore them to school today . . .

135/2 AIS wide open at ISO 1600

Cute shots of your girls, John! What a nice present from Chin.

傍ony

kings_freak

huddy wrote:
I don't get to make it in to check in very often these days. I am still shooting when I get the chance. I broke out my all of my lenses longer than 50mm a couple days ago as I started fearing that I'd be tempted to get rid of them due to my general lack of use. On the positive, my extensive Leica and 35mm shooting has reminded me of just how little grain there is on a D700 at ISO 6400. Makes me think that I could easily get away with 12,800 for nice useable images in the right scenarios. So here is a high iso, telephoto sampler of some quiet times getting ready for bed:

300/2.8 ED AI-S, D700, ISO 6400

Love this one Alan!

傍ony

kings_freak

MDoc9523 wrote:
The Downtown area of Plant City has been revitalized with beautiful parks. The same area that once was thriving with every sort of freight from all over the country is now a meeting place for the retired, middle aged and the young at heart.

Great colors in this Ray.

傍ony

kings_freak

NightOwl Cat wrote:
I had gone to Pizza Hut one night to pick up my order, and this kitten was in the parking lot, jumping into the store windows and meowing loudly at the customers on the other side of the window as they were eating. As I opened the door, she made a rush to get in, but I kept her from going in. When I came out, she was still out there, and and very friendly. This particular store is at a very busy intersection, and I knew if she stayed there, it wouldn't be long before she became a splat. So.... I scooped her up, and put her in the car along with the food. Got home, whisked her into the back bathroom, fed her, and took her to the vet the following day for a complete checkup. Looks like she's found herself a good home, just needs a name now..

Cute kitty! Have you come up with a name yet?

傍ony

a.RodriguezPix

NightOwl Cat wrote:
I had gone to Pizza Hut one night to pick up my order, and this kitten was in the parking lot, jumping into the store windows and meowing loudly at the customers on the other side of the window as they were eating. As I opened the door, she made a rush to get in, but I kept her from going in. When I came out, she was still out there, and and very friendly. This particular store is at a very busy intersection, and I knew if she stayed there, it wouldn't be long before she became a splat. So.... I scooped her up, and put her in the car along with the food. Got home, whisked her into the back bathroom, fed her, and took her to the vet the following day for a complete checkup. Looks like she's found herself a good home, just needs a name now..

She is so cute! Apparently she loves her new pet's too! My Tabby girl's middle name is Tabitha, Soleil Tabitha, in honor of her Tabby heritage! Maybe Tabitha would be a good first name too?

leighton w
Total Posts: 12614

georgms wrote:
leighton w wrote:
George, I like the B&W version better too. Is that amount of CA normal for this lens?

Leighton, the conditions (harsh sunlight and water/ice/snow) are challenging for every lens. Under normal conditions the longitudinal CA's of Nikon's fast 135 are not that much pronounced, but still visible.
I have just two longer lenses who are completely free of LoCA's - the fat and expensive 200/2 AF-S and an old Leica Apo-Telyt-R 3.4/180 (lens mount changed to Nikon).
The 70-200/2.8 VR1 is already pretty good when it comes to this kind of aberrations, I still have to check out the 180/2.8ED.
Here's the same image re-processed. ACR can remove a lot of CA's:

Thanks Georg, I've experienced some CA on some of my lenses, but none as bad as what I saw here, thus the reason for asking. I guess the conditions were just right. The new slider introduced in LR4 for CA is wonderful, and I've used it a couple of times already.

leighton w

Jose - Your B&W pano turned out beautifully! I never tried shooting B&W in camera, but in this case it seems well worth it.

John - Your girls are becoming young women, I feel sorry for you in a couple more years!

Alan - Nice of you to drop by, love the second one...."Got Milk?"

Tony - Very nice image, looks very iconic having the Buffalo in it.

Zichar
Total Posts: 3758

Haha very nice John, I just showed the page to my wife and she was estatic

leighton w

Just a few from the barn today. With the 24mm f2.8.

The first one is feeding time for the orphaned lambs.

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 16784

I can imagine Leighton that lambing time is both a great deal of work and wonderfully heart warming... new life abounds. My mother grew up on a farm and the most painful part of it for her as a child was that she fell in love with the lambs that she knew would eventually be sent to the butcher. The cycle of life and end of life isn't always easy to embrace.

Love both these shots.

leighton w

Thanks Curtis. Most of the time it is heart warming, but then there are times..... Read Barbara's blog post of today and you'll see what I mean.

http://homesteadhillfarm.blogspot.com/2013/01/even-when-things-go-dreadfully-wrong.html#.UQFzMSfC18E

CGrindahl

georgms wrote:
Curtis, the leaf-picture is spectacular! Beautiful work with textures and shadows, angles and DoF...

Thanks Georg. Sometimes the simplest shots can be the most rewarding. Of course, one needs to see the possibilities both with camera in hand and at the computer. This shot involved decisions at both occasions. Needless to say, I like this crop. Glad you did as well.

I'm pleased that you continue to make your presence known on this thread Georg, both with your excellent photos and your thoughtful comments. You're one of the good guys. We're blessed to have so many of the good guys and gals hanging out on this thread.

CGrindahl

leighton w wrote:
Thanks Curtis. Most of the time it is heart warming, but then there are times..... Read Barbara's blog post of today and you'll see what I mean.

http://homesteadhillfarm.blogspot.com/2013/01/even-when-things-go-dreadfully-wrong.html#.UQFzMSfC18E

I read her post and even responded, though once again I'm in blog purgatory. Those letters and that photo with numbers is incredibly hard to read on a 27 inch monitor. I don't blame you for protecting your site from spammers, but getting there from here isn't easy.

In 12 Steps they refer to "meeting life on life's terms." Your work keeps you eternally humble since your best efforts are never a guarantee. You simply have to keep showing up and giving your best. If that isn't a profound spiritual practice, I can't think of a better one.

CGrindahl

Thanks for the greetings Georg, Samy, Alan, Mihai, Scott and Jose. I even heard an echo from down under... Thanks Ben for having a vague recollection of someone named Curtis. I promise I'll be nice to Nikki when she arrives next month. What an amazing adventure this has been for all of us.

Great to see you once again gracing the thread Tony. I love the shots you capture during your commute, including the wonderful panorama above.

And Alan, that photo of your boy sprouting a mustache is priceless. You need to contact the National Dairy Council with that one.

1       2       3              2354      
       2356              5885       5886       end