Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2353

1       2       3              2353      
       2355              5887       5888       end

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 16784

I love the blog Leighton, but frankly it is a pain in the ass trying to post comments. When it isn't "wigging out" as you put it, you need to go through a security process and then await approval for comments to be posted. My latest attempt is lost in cyberspace somewhere. I know this isn't your fault. In fact, you've done an amazing job with the blog, but I understand why there are so few comments. It is not worth the effort...

leighton w
Total Posts: 12618

CGrindahl wrote:
I love the blog Leighton, but frankly it is a pain in the ass trying to post comments. When it isn't "wigging out" as you put it, you need to go through a security process and then await approval for comments to be posted. My latest attempt is lost in cyberspace somewhere. I know this isn't your fault. In fact, you've done an amazing job with the blog, but I understand why there are so few comments. It is not worth the effort...

Actually Curtis, I was forced to make the security changes with the comments. I was getting spammed a couple of times a day before I made the changes. I try to check for comments on a regular basis and publish them just as soon as I can. Sorry for any inconvenience.

georgms
Total Posts: 4045

Welcome back, Curtis!
I'm glad you could find the time to show up here again;-) The fisheye over at Adorama is a late K-variant - I'll sleep over it and decide tomorrow (if the lens is still available).
Import duties and taxes add up and sending an item back in case it's broken would be a hassle-rich operation...
Sorry, I have no MF-Nikkor's to show, but two and a half images taken today with a 135/2Ais:

Strom longitudinal CA's von georgsfoto auf Flickr
into the light - no correction for the longitudinal CA's just to illustrate the shortcomings of this lens
the conditions were hard for most lenses, to be fair - D3s, 135/2 Ais wide open, ISO200, 1/8000sec

Strom von georgsfoto auf Flickr
I like the B&W-version better

Heimat L von georgsfoto auf Flickr
I'm not happy with the framing here (couldn't get the windows right) - D3s, 135/2 at f/4

georgms

Curtis, the leaf-picture is spectacular! Beautiful work with textures and shadows, angles and DoF.

Peter, now that bird-shot is an eye-catcher! Reminds me of the pop-musicians of the 80's ;-) Good job with the 300/4.5/TC14-combo

Chin, another excellent poodle-portrait! I like the monochromatic style of the series a lot.

georgms

kwoodard wrote:
I have a question for the B&W artists here. It seems that many of you use Silver Effects Pro with your images. What other ways do you use? Simply desaturating images is Ok, but they tend to look flat and boring. I want my images to look alive and have the potential to illicit an emotional responce. Anyone willing to share some of their tips/tricks? I have PS5.1 and get to play with PS6 sometimes. I hope to get Lightroom, but don't know if I need it with PS and Bridge.

Thoughts? If you all think its too far from the scope of this thread, I would love a PM on the subject. I bring this up as I am thinking of doing a 365 day project, strictly in B&W.

Kevin, SilverEfex is a powerful tool - with almost endless ways to process a given image. I'm a lazy fella and usually start with one of my favorite presets ("push +1.5" for instance) and go from there. Starting from a scratch is possible too - and probably the best way if the final look of an image is already in your mind.
If you have a specific question please let me know.

bruni
Total Posts: 1650

CGrindahl wrote:
Don't worry Leighton... when I die Sue will stop by to make the announcement.

It is nice to see so many familiar names on the thread and to note that those with questions are getting great advice. That is one of the great things about this thread. These lenses are timeless, so there will eternally be newcomers curious about what the fuss is all about. There may not be many lenses left for me to buy, but my love for the ones I have is undiminished. Now I just need to put them to work.

http://lhg

I don't believe it. Curtis who?? I used to know a Curtis on this thread - but dont think his name was Grindahl?

ben

leighton w

George, I like the B&W version better too. Is that amount of CA normal for this lens?

Mishu01
Total Posts: 2444

leighton w wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:

Actually Curtis, I was forced to make the security changes with the comments. I was getting spammed a couple of times a day before I made the changes. I try to check for comments on a regular basis and publish them just as soon as I can. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Love to see the Patriarch showing up with His grace

Leighton, I'm not familiar with blogspot but these blogs usually let you set that only the first comment from a user to need approval, then the other comments to be published instant. This is the most elegant way to fight against the spam... without to transform commenting in a PITA. Please check if blogspot has this feature.

leighton w

Mishu01 wrote:
leighton w wrote:
CGrindahl wrote:

Love to see the Patriarch showing up with His grace

Leighton, I'm not familiar with blogspot but these blogs usually let you set that only the first comment from a user to need approval, then the other comments to be published instant. This is the most elegant way to fight against the spam... without to transform commenting in a PITA. Please check if blogspot has this feature.

Unfortunately, Blogger doesn't allow this.

saph
Total Posts: 3699

Kevin, I have never tried Silver Efex, but have used the convert to B&W function in PSE. There's some custom presets as well as slider tweaking you can do. You can get beyond simply taking color away and ending up with drab grayscale with PSE. Of course Silver Efex must have a lot more options to try out.

Ray, super pictures of your hometown. That's as far as I got on your Nikki blog.

Did Curtis really use the word "abated" for his contagious disease that he passed on to too many on this thread?

Samy

georgms wrote:
kwoodard wrote:
I have a question for the B&W artists here. It seems that many of you use Silver Effects Pro with your images. What other ways do you use? Simply desaturating images is Ok, but they tend to look flat and boring. I want my images to look alive and have the potential to illicit an emotional responce. Anyone willing to share some of their tips/tricks? I have PS5.1 and get to play with PS6 sometimes. I hope to get Lightroom, but don't know if I need it with PS and Bridge.

Thoughts? If you all think its too far from the scope of this thread, I would love a PM on the subject. I bring this up as I am thinking of doing a 365 day project, strictly in B&W.

Kevin, SilverEfex is a powerful tool - with almost endless ways to process a given image. I'm a lazy fella and usually start with one of my favorite presets ("push +1.5" for instance) and go from there. Starting from a scratch is possible too - and probably the best way if the final look of an image is already in your mind.
If you have a specific question please let me know.

saph

Peter, interesting species!

Georg, nice use of the 135 f2, converting to b&w takes care of the CA. Recent acquisition? On another topic, I looked online for the Heinkel book you mentioned has been recently authored, but didn't see it. Must be only available over there.

saph

It was 13 deg F early this morning. The winter sky is clear these nights, the moon is up and the stars are many, but no way am I stepping out into that Artic weather

Oosty wrote:
raboof wrote:
Thanks Scott, Monty, and Georg.

It's pretty cold today but I am inspired

135mm f2

I think it's about time for me to start developing my camera holding techniques. I don't think my images from tele lenses come up sharp enough for me.

It's hard to keep them steady when your teeth are chattering!! Brrrr.

georgms

leighton w wrote:
George, I like the B&W version better too. Is that amount of CA normal for this lens?

Leighton, the conditions (harsh sunlight and water/ice/snow) are challenging for every lens. Under normal conditions the longitudinal CA's of Nikon's fast 135 are not that much pronounced, but still visible.
I have just two longer lenses who are completely free of LoCA's - the fat and expensive 200/2 AF-S and an old Leica Apo-Telyt-R 3.4/180 (lens mount changed to Nikon).
The 70-200/2.8 VR1 is already pretty good when it comes to this kind of aberrations, I still have to check out the 180/2.8ED.
Here's the same image re-processed. ACR can remove a lot of CA's:

georgms

saph wrote:
Peter, interesting species!

Georg, nice use of the 135 f2, converting to b&w takes care of the CA. Recent acquisition? On another topic, I looked online for the Heinkel book you mentioned has been recently authored, but didn't see it. Must be only available over there.

Samy, the book (a paperback or a brochure, don't have it yet) is just available over here in a small bookshop. The second print/ issue should arrive this week.
As far as I know there are just two "industrial" buildings (or their remains) belonging to the "Heinkel-Werke" here - but I was surprised that many residential houses belonged to Heinkel too.
For more informations I have to read the book.
I'll keep you informed.
Btw, that 135/2 was one of my first MF-Nikkors - I got it used in the late 1990's.

asiostygius
Total Posts: 3287

Thanks Jeff!

Welcome back Curtis!

Georg, have you tried Capture NX2 or even the free ViewNX2 for fixing CA?

asiostygius
Total Posts: 3287

I know, I know this would be blasphemy for many 16/3.5 owners, but it is just me:
I made a "rectilinearized" 3-shot pano with this lens + D7000.
As I am not a B&W expert, I used in camera B&W mode + built in red filter of my old 16/3.5 F ai'd.

An ordinary view from my kitchen window.

3-shot pano with Nikkor 16mm f/3.5 F ai'd by labecoaves, on Flickr

The 3-shot pano was "rectilinearized".
Taken with in camera B&W mode + lens built in RED filter (R60) to darken sky and bring contrasty clouds.
D7000 + 16mm f/3.5 F ai'd supported on the windowsill, ISO 100, f/8 at 1/40s.

mp356
Total Posts: 5639

CGrindahl wrote:
I see that John continues to take good care of us all with his information about the glorious 16 f/3.5 fisheye lens that comes in various flavors. As he notes above, I'm am that happy recipient of his largesse since he was willing to actually sell his first copy to me, the K version with the Nikion AI conversion kit installed. It is one sweet lens...

Hi Curtis! Good to see you posting. I like what you have done with the fisheye here. Looks like a beautiful old library.
Scott

mp356
Total Posts: 5639

asiostygius wrote:
I know, I know this would be blasphemy for many 16/3.5 owners, but it is just me:
As I am not a B&W expert, I used in camera B&W mode + built in red filter of my old 16/3.5 F ai'd.

Taken with in camera B&W mode + lens built in RED filter (R60) to darken sky and bring contrasty clouds.

Wow Jose! Neat pano with an unusual lens. Well done.
Scott

kings_freak
Total Posts: 952

mp356 wrote:
asiostygius wrote:

Wow Jose! Neat pano with an unusual lens. Well done.
Scott

+1!

Tony

a.RodriguezPix
Total Posts: 2236

Luna Bleu, my beautiful black cat!

a.Rodriguez.photo- by aNikkorGuy, on Flickr

1       2       3              2353      
       2355              5887       5888       end