Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2345

1       2       3              2345      
2346
       2347              5885       5886       end

leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 12614
Country: United States

Peter B - Thanks for taking me back in time. I have spent countless hours with these things in my youth.

Monty - Good to see you again. I love the train art and the way you processed it. Very sharp too.

John - So the 3.5 version is going back? I guess it's hard to judge between the three when it seems off.

Chuong - Love the play between light and shadow with this one.



leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 12614
Country: United States


bruni wrote:
so french girls don't mind you getting that close huh? - well, it's the same for me with Australian girls - but only if they're dummies!

ben


nikon 24mm PCE by benmorgan28, on Flickr


Now THAT'S funny!!! Good shot BTW.



Lieutenant Z
Registered: Nov 21, 2010
Total Posts: 3777
Country: France

bruni wrote:
Lieutenant Z wrote:




Phillippe - finally!!! finally!!!! - there I am constantly shooting the Opera House or the harbour bridge (and you calling them banal) so I thought we'd never get a pic of the Eiffel Tower,
ben


Ben , ask and you will receive.....
Here is a Tour Eiffel shot for you (5O/1.8 + extension tube attached):



leighton w
Registered: Nov 12, 2010
Total Posts: 12614
Country: United States

Lieutenant Z wrote:

bruni wrote:
Phillippe - finally!!! finally!!!! - there I am constantly shooting the Opera House or the harbour bridge (and you calling them banal) so I thought we'd never get a pic of the Eiffel Tower,
ben

Lieutenant Z wrote:
Ben , ask and you will receive.....
Here is a Tour Eiffel shot for you (5O/1.8 + extension tube attached):


Gosh, it's much smaller than I had imagined.



Oosty
Registered: Mar 09, 2009
Total Posts: 4208
Country: South Africa

James Markus wrote:
Lots of wonderful photos! Anyone have any experience with the Nikon TC-14a? Bjørn Rørslett gave it a craptacular rating. I have one on loan at the moment - and from what I have read they are intended for use on 200mm (some say 300mm) or shorter lenses. Uwe Steinmueller seems to have gotten decent results on a 80-400 vr.


James, that's what I've read too. I have a TC 14b which is supposed to be designed for 300 + (it won't fit my shorter lenses) and it's not bad. Not as good as my mid 80's 2x converter though which worked well with all my lenses at the time (all except the 500 f8 reflex were stolen!)

Some from this morning with the 300 4.5 ED IF +14b



bruni
Registered: Feb 15, 2012
Total Posts: 1650
Country: Australia

Lieutenant Z wrote:
bruni wrote:
Lieutenant Z wrote:




Phillippe - finally!!! finally!!!! - there I am constantly shooting the Opera House or the harbour bridge (and you calling them banal) so I thought we'd never get a pic of the Eiffel Tower,
ben


Ben , ask and you will receive.....
Here is a Tour Eiffel shot for you (5O/1.8 + extension tube attached):




unacceptable ......on so MANY levels............

ben



georgms
Registered: Jan 08, 2009
Total Posts: 4045
Country: Germany

Lieutenant Z wrote:
bruni wrote:
Lieutenant Z wrote:




Phillippe - finally!!! finally!!!! - there I am constantly shooting the Opera House or the harbour bridge (and you calling them banal) so I thought we'd never get a pic of the Eiffel Tower,
ben


Ben , ask and you will receive.....
Here is a Tour Eiffel shot for you (5O/1.8 + extension tube attached):



Haha, looks like a key-pendant for the nice old Peugeot in your garden ;-)



georgms
Registered: Jan 08, 2009
Total Posts: 4045
Country: Germany

Peter, nice examples of the TC14A and the 300/4.5.

Monty, very cool portrait of Higgs and nice Train Art.

John, sorry to hear about the decentered copy (135/3.5) and the poor weather at sea level.

Ben, very nice take on the photogarphers-tolerating model ;-)

Chuong, very nice light on the Bonsai!

Peter, I like your 20mm-shots a lot. Looks like good fun ;-)



jhinkey
Registered: Jan 08, 2010
Total Posts: 8398
Country: United States

leighton w wrote:

John - So the 3.5 version is going back? I guess it's hard to judge between the three when it seems off.



Yep, the f/3.5 version is going back to the ebay seller I bought it from. They have a 14 day return policy. There were other cheaper auctions for this lens, but most of them did not have a return policy. I've never had to return something I've bought from ebay before, so we'll see how this goes.

Shame really, as the lens is in fantastic shape otherwise. I could send it to APS or some place to have it re-centered, but I'm sure that would cost me well over $100.

I don't usually buy lenses off of ebay as I like to be able to try them out in person before purchasing, but I could not find a f/3.5 version available locally for the last few months.

John



sbarricklow
Registered: Jan 14, 2003
Total Posts: 2132
Country: United States

Snaps of snow in Garland, Texas last week using a 50 mm f1.2 AIS



georgms
Registered: Jan 08, 2009
Total Posts: 4045
Country: Germany

Snow in Texas? My worldview wobbles ;-)
Very nice pictures, Sam, I especially like the fairy-tale-like second shot.



mp356
Registered: May 31, 2009
Total Posts: 5637
Country: United States

jhinkey wrote:
leighton w wrote:

John - So the 3.5 version is going back? I guess it's hard to judge between the three when it seems off.



Yep, the f/3.5 version is going back to the ebay seller I bought it from. They have a 14 day return policy. There were other cheaper auctions for this lens, but most of them did not have a return policy. I've never had to return something I've bought from ebay before, so we'll see how this goes.

Shame really, as the lens is in fantastic shape otherwise. I could send it to APS or some place to have it re-centered, but I'm sure that would cost me well over $100.

I don't usually buy lenses off of ebay as I like to be able to try them out in person before purchasing, but I could not find a f/3.5 version available locally for the last few months.

John


Smart move on your part John. I once bought a lens without a return policy on eBay and regretted it. Took a loss when I resold it due to the condition which was not properly described in the eBay listing. Since then I have always purchased only if there is a return policy. Had to use it once as a lens arrived with oil on the aperture blades that the seller had missed. He took it back without any issues. Good luck on your return and search for another 135 3.5.



mp356
Registered: May 31, 2009
Total Posts: 5637
Country: United States

Thank you Leighton, Philippe, Ben, Chuong, Georg, and Peter for the winter cornfield image. It did "warm up" to 27F that day.

Philippe, like Ben said, love the tourist shots of Paris. It can be hard to get motivated to shoot something that iconic that is close by. For me that subject is Niagara Falls. Great shots of the city though. The Eiffel Tower shot is wonderful.

Chuong, nice detail images from your home.

Peter, that bread looks tasty.

Leighton, the lamb mother image is very cute. I can just imagine you all gathered around the woodstove on a cold night.

Monty, welcome back. Higgs is looking cute as ever.

Ben, that girl in the window looks a bit "plastic". Maybe a bit too much makeup. Nice picture.



NightOwl Cat
Registered: Feb 19, 2007
Total Posts: 9300
Country: United States

Hey John, KEH has three available, depending on what grade you want it in....

http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Manual-Focus-Fixed-Focal-Length-Lenses/1/sku-NK06000083500N?r=FE

http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Manual-Focus-Fixed-Focal-Length-Lenses/1/sku-NK06000083750Q?r=FE

http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Manual-Focus-Fixed-Focal-Length-Lenses/1/sku-NK060000837500?r=FE


jhinkey wrote:
leighton w wrote:

John - So the 3.5 version is going back? I guess it's hard to judge between the three when it seems off.



Yep, the f/3.5 version is going back to the ebay seller I bought it from. They have a 14 day return policy. There were other cheaper auctions for this lens, but most of them did not have a return policy. I've never had to return something I've bought from ebay before, so we'll see how this goes.

Shame really, as the lens is in fantastic shape otherwise. I could send it to APS or some place to have it re-centered, but I'm sure that would cost me well over $100.

I don't usually buy lenses off of ebay as I like to be able to try them out in person before purchasing, but I could not find a f/3.5 version available locally for the last few months.

John



NightOwl Cat
Registered: Feb 19, 2007
Total Posts: 9300
Country: United States

Hi Higgs! Hi Monty, glad you came back to play

montym wrote:
Guess Who?



saph
Registered: Jun 10, 2012
Total Posts: 3699
Country: United States

Got pulled away suddenly for a few weeks, don't know where I left off but will try to go through all the pages I missed.

Didn't have too much opportunity, but did manage to take a few shots that I will try to process and upload in the next few days.

Samy



Lieutenant Z
Registered: Nov 21, 2010
Total Posts: 3777
Country: France

24 PC E :





jhinkey
Registered: Jan 08, 2010
Total Posts: 8398
Country: United States

NightOwl Cat wrote:
Hey John, KEH has three available, depending on what grade you want it in....

http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Manual-Focus-Fixed-Focal-Length-Lenses/1/sku-NK06000083500N?r=FE

http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Manual-Focus-Fixed-Focal-Length-Lenses/1/sku-NK06000083750Q?r=FE

http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Manual-Focus-Fixed-Focal-Length-Lenses/1/sku-NK060000837500?r=FE


jhinkey wrote:
leighton w wrote:

John - So the 3.5 version is going back? I guess it's hard to judge between the three when it seems off.



Yep, the f/3.5 version is going back to the ebay seller I bought it from. They have a 14 day return policy. There were other cheaper auctions for this lens, but most of them did not have a return policy. I've never had to return something I've bought from ebay before, so we'll see how this goes.

Shame really, as the lens is in fantastic shape otherwise. I could send it to APS or some place to have it re-centered, but I'm sure that would cost me well over $100.

I don't usually buy lenses off of ebay as I like to be able to try them out in person before purchasing, but I could not find a f/3.5 version available locally for the last few months.

John


Thanks Laura - I've been checking KEH for the past 3 weeks and I've not seen one 135/3.5 all that time (they seemed to have cleared out their MF Nikkors before the Holidays) and now there are 3!

I'll check it out.

I hate to see a fine lens like this have optical issues that you know came from the factory since there is no external marks on the lens that would indicate that it had been dropped or jarred in any appreciable way. It also looks like it's never been taken apart either..

John



jhinkey
Registered: Jan 08, 2010
Total Posts: 8398
Country: United States

georgms wrote:
Snow in Texas? My worldview wobbles ;-)
Very nice pictures, Sam, I especially like the fairy-tale-like second shot.

+1 Nice images.

This morning it was 28F at 500 ft. elevation and 50 F at 2,500 ft elevation. We were freezing at the start of the run and overheating at the top.

Yesterday, at Paradise on Mt. Rainier it was reported to be over 60 F at 5,500 ft while down here in Seattle it was in the high 30's. Too bad I can't make it out to the mountains as the weather was spectacular from the reports.

This morning's sunrise was spectacular, but I had no camera with me.

John



rafaelcasd
Registered: Jan 07, 2011
Total Posts: 2483
Country: United States

Hi all, been busy with the customer in town and my kid transferring college. So far so Good. will catch up to everyones postings later in the week. Wanted to share my personal observations on the 20mm 1:3.5 UD that I own. I have used the lens on film with good success, here is a sample of a scanned slide, likely at 1:11.

Quail Botanical Nikon F nikkor 20mm f3.5 UD 4 by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Never been able to mount it on the D3, the ai tab hits the lip of the aperture ring and I have never found an ai lens or a ring selling for reasonable prices. I have read that some non-ai aperture rings are fat and some are thin, some of my non ai lens like the 5.8cm have a very fat aperture ring, my 20mm UD does not, I tried to mount it on the D800 and the aperture ring slid very nicely under the ai tab, no interference at all, the aperture ring on the lens and camera still rotate freely on both. I did have to remove the aperture shoe, very easy to do. Also, need to use exposure compensation if you close the lens down, like F/8.0 will require +2 Exposure compensation as the ai tab is not coupled.

Here is the lens mounted on the D800, my copy has perfect glass, no dust at all.


nikon nikkor 20mm ud D800 side

nikon nikkor 20mm ud D800 front by Rafael CA, on Flickr
by Rafael CA, on Flickr


Here a couple of samples the first at full aperture, the second at f/8. These are full resolution at flickr.

nikon nikkor 20mm ud D800at f3.5 test by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 20mm 1:3.5 ud D800 at f8 test by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Now against the sun at f/8 and f/3.5


nikon nikkor 20mm ud D800at f8 sun in frame by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 20mm ud D800 full aperture sun in frame by Rafael CA, on Flickr


Note the interesting rainbow rays at full aperture, only lens I own that does this.

My observation is that this lens is very usable at 3.5 on the D800, center is very sharp and gracefully softens towards the corners, probably mostly due to curvature of field as the edge sharpness is strongly dependent on distance, at middle apertures the center only gets a tiny bit sharper and the edges and corners get progressibly better, the corners never do get totally sharp but the edges do. Contrast is fine. The HN-9 shade vignettes a little mounted on a filter.

At 3.5 the 20mm performs significantly better than my 18mm 3.5 ais, but at 8.0 the 18mm is a lot better across the frame, both are equally shap in the center.

Again these are personal comments on one sample of each.



1       2       3              2345      
2346
       2347              5885       5886       end