/forum/topic/929565/2331

1       2       3              2331      
       2333              4309       4310       end

vpik01
Total Posts: 587

Great Lens Adventure-DC-1 by Tony DeFilippo, on Flickr

Great Lens Adventure-DC-2 by Tony DeFilippo, on Flickr

Great Lens Adventure-DC-3 by Tony DeFilippo, on Flickr

IT BEGINS! I'm very excited to introduce Nikki to the DC Area around the Holidays. Thanks to Alan for delivering her in such excellent shape. I have to admit that opening the box, even knowing what was inside was a cool experience, knowing how many great photographers who've used it and all the amazing places this lens has been in the past year really makes me want to live up to the spirit of the 'adventure'.

For the first day this will be it as we are hosting about 30 people for a holiday party tonight and my wife will KILL me if I 'waste' any more time with the camera or on the computer. But rest assured there will be updates throughout the week.

bruni
Total Posts: 1423

saph wrote:
Ground crew view - another 28 3.5 PC image of a model plane, this is the B-47 6 engine, and I guess a precursor to the better known B-52.

28 PC rotated 180 deg and shifted most of the way to get that perspective. Could do with better lighting, just a flashlight pointed at it.

Looking at it either my model construction skills need some work or the floor is warped.

Samy

the floor may be warped but it is immaculately clean - made me think I should stop reading this and go clean my floor - or maybe not.

ben

bruni

montym wrote:
philipj wrote:
Thanks to those who commented on my last couple of photos! I particularly also enjoy the Central Tech building, it's one of the grand old schools that you can find around the old city.

Today's is a bit of a crazy offering. Honest Ed's is a department store that sells quite literally almost everything, a famous institution in Toronto run by one of Toronto's old famous families, the Mirvish family. Ed Mirvish got rich not only on his wacky department store, but also as the main player in Toronto's theatre scene for many years.

This is a ~28 photo stitch, having used the 105mm f/1.8 AI-s. Anything wider and I find I can't really deal with the distortions for stitching. Even here you will see a lot of "interesting" character to the stitch, but given the subject matter I'm actually okay with lots of the little foibles (and I got sick of working on it. ). Final image is some 105 megapixels, and I'm thinking I'll get this printed relatively large at some point.

Philip, I could not figure out what it would take 28 photos to capture that sign. THen I saw the TINY street sign on the botton of the picture! THat is one big sign!

Nice!

Philip - 28 shots?? Have you tried something like PT Gui - it will stitch it for you automatically in seconds (and correct distortion).

ben

montym
Total Posts: 4711

Chris Dees wrote:
Reagan wrote:
Chris, Do people really ride Bicycles in that weather?

Reagan

No problem, it's a bit slippery but the Dutch just ride. :-)

Nice set with your 50/1.8 especially the 2nd.
I have a 50/1.8 as well, but I never use it.

In Minneapolis, the Land of Coffe and Bicycles, they bike year around. When I was visiting my daughter a couple winters ago, I went to a cycling training class. It was glare ice. I took the car with my bike in the trunk. Took me forever. When I pulled into te parking lot a cyclist rode up at full speed. He had studs on his bike tires.

They are a tough group in MPLS.

Lieutenant Z
Total Posts: 3015

A few more pics of painters from the Place du Tertre in Montmartre, all with 85 HC :

montym

Lieutenant Z wrote:
A few more pics of painters from the Place du Tertre in Montmartre, all with 85 HC :

THE "Street Photographer" strikes again!
I love 'em!

Foggy14
Total Posts: 1094

Thanks Scott, Laura, Jose, Philppe, Georg, Jimmy, Dean and Samy for your comments on the beach shots.

John, welcome! I really enjoyed the saguaros silhouetted against the alpenglow.

Ben, very nice Christmas lights and the Ducati self portrait is very cool.

Jose, great shots of the scarab beetle.

Peter, wonderful photos of the lilies and prickly pear cactus flowers.

Philip, love the 180mm shots of the overhead cables and school building.

Americo, best wishes to you and your daughter. Chemo is rough, but very effective these days. Keep up the faith!

Ian, really nice images from Scotland. I especially liked "Sea Trees."

Ron, I like the Philly b&w, with a touch of blue.

Samy, nice shots of the model planes. I built a lot of these as a kid, but blew-up most of them with cherry bombs.

Nima, very nice photo of the snowy pine.

Jorge, terrific shot of the beer guy. The b&w is great and I like the color version for the way the red lights in bokeh play off the red fleece.

Seth, I really like the film shots from '66.

Chris, beautiful photos of the snowy bikes.

Philippe, love "another one from Montmartre." The subject, colors and framing are terrific.

James, beautiful shots of the "money plant."

Reagan, I really like your benches photo.

Monty, great ambient light colors and composition on the ladders shot.

Georg, the fishing boats and love locks are beautiful images. The Christmas diving shots made me smile.

montym

Our monthly photo shoot was this morning. It was at the indoor farmer's market. I suspect you'll see pictures of it
After the photo shoot about 10 of us walked to a bistro for coffee, food and wise discussions (I only listen )

While we were walking I saw this family coming towards us. I said loudly, "I'm going to kneel!!!" I snapped the picture. I don't know what make me think of giving the kneeling warning. I would be just like me to stop dead in my tracks, kneel then have a bunch of people faling over my like dominos I must be getting wise in my old age

Lieutenant Z

monty, love the angle and the symmetry. really nicely done!

montym

Three photographers

a.RodriguezPix
Total Posts: 2237

montym wrote:
Three photographers

This is a very swell capture, montym!

a.RodriguezPix
Total Posts: 2237

Americo, best wishes to you and your daughter. Chemo is rough, but very effective these days. Keep up the faith!
Thank you very much, I appreciate it very much! My daughter is tougher than nails, and seeing my poor baby suffer makes me wonder were she gets it from, as I fall apart easily! She seems so frail, and so tiny now, at 88lbs, and at 5 and a half feet, she seems even tinier than ever! I would give an ear to have her get her appetite back, however, I will continue to just pray to God, that she recovers quickly! She was 95 pounds prior to all of this, and she has been borderline underweight all her life, as is my son, but I think they take after their mother, who at 5 feet zero, and 105 pounds, is not in father's weight bracket, uh, 175, and 5 foot six! Ugh I would give 75 pounds to my daughter if I could!
I hate to drag everyone down with my news, but I am grateful that everyone here takes time to send us wishes, and thoughts! The world will be renewed once this is all over, and every anger, hatred, ill feelings I every may feel, will hopefully be halted when my mind comes back to these days that we seem to be living in a constant nightmare! Thanks again, and happy photography!

Ian Boys
Total Posts: 2128

montym wrote:
While we were walking I saw this family coming towards us.

Really like that photo and the mother's smile at you

philipj
Total Posts: 851

Thanks Samy, Monty, Reagan, Ben, and Jeff!

georgms wrote:
Philip - love the "Honest Eds"-shot. 28 merged/stitched shots - wow, do you shoot from a tripod or hand-held?
The theatre-background of Ed shows up - my first thoughts after looking at your picture were related to old western movies - saloons filled with smoke, showgirls and a lot of shifty gamblers and drunken cowboys ;-)

Handheld, I'm too lazy to carry a tripod around during my daily wanders to/from work.

As for fancier software for making these panoramas, I've so far been doing it manually in a program called DoubleTake, which is a bit cumbersome, but I haven't found for large combinations of images that the automatic software does a great job too. Maybe I'm just not using the software correctly though...

montym

philipj wrote:
Handheld, I'm too lazy to carry a tripod around during my daily wanders to/from work.

I can relate to that

bruni

montym wrote:
Lieutenant Z wrote:

THE "Street Photographer" strikes again!
I love 'em!

+1
Phillippe I know you're taunting me with the 100MP shots you're posting on flickr. OK OK it's working (I've even starting looking at the 85 - trying to find a cheap one - lol.....as if......)

ben

bruni

montym wrote:
Our monthly photo shoot was this morning. It was at the indoor farmer's market. I suspect you'll see pictures of it
After the photo shoot about 10 of us walked to a bistro for coffee, food and wise discussions (I only listen )

While we were walking I saw this family coming towards us. I said loudly, "I'm going to kneel!!!" I snapped the picture. I don't know what make me think of giving the kneeling warning. I would be just like me to stop dead in my tracks, kneel then have a bunch of people faling over my like dominos I must be getting wise in my old age

fantastic Monty - especially at 1.4

ben

bruni

this wasn't dawn - but it was way too early.

still playing with the 35mm f2 OC.

I have only one question - where's Leighton?? and Curtis??

nikon 35mm f2 OC by benmorgan28, on Flickr

nikon 35mm f2 OC by benmorgan28, on Flickr

nikon 50mm f1.8 ais by benmorgan28, on Flickr

Lieutenant Z

bruni wrote:

I have only one question - where's Leighton??

Flickr

Leighton is in Paris, he is a painter in Montmartre now :

Lieutenant Z

Ben, thanks for comment.
Nice set from you, last one with 50 1.8 is my fav!

1       2       3              2331      
       2333              4309       4310       end