Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2281

1       2       3              2281      
       2283              3823       3824       end

stedge
Total Posts: 835

MDoc9523 wrote:
Matt OHarver wrote:
One quick one of Brandon tonight in front of the Christmas tree showing off the 85MMMM F1.4 Bokeh.

MJO_3295 by MattOphotog, on Flickr

Matt

Lovely

I agree!

leighton w
Total Posts: 8617

philipj wrote:

I'm also no fan of zooms and would get rid of all of them, but I realize that's not for everyone.

Kit building is forever!

Ahhh, but Philip, you obviously have never tried the 50-135 f3.5 AI-s.

stedge
Total Posts: 835

philipj wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:
Monty I was just looking at your profile. You have accumulated a very impressive kit. The lenses you have selected seem to make a perfect kit. You do need to add the new 55mm 1.2 to the list!
I was looking at my lenses and I have decided that I have way to many lenses. I have some that I haven't used in almost a year. I think that I have gone overboard in my collecting. Maybe I should pare it down to 16mm 3.5, 35mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4 , 85mm 1.4, & 300mm 4.5 Then I could sell the rest and maybe add a 135mm 2.0
I would love to have input from all of you on this idea.

Ray, I think you know best when it comes to lenses you use now or plan to use. However, I try to keep my kit well delineated as well, and that resulted in me getting rid of my 35mm f/1.4 AI-s, which I now regret. I think it's safe to say that getting rid of fast glass is always a questionable idea.

That being said, if you aren't enamoured with the 24 f/2.8 AI-s, get rid of it. Same goes for other lenses for which you have doubles at a focal length: you could probably safely get rid of the 50 f/1.8 E, and the 35 f/2.8 K. If you were thinking of getting a fast 135mm, I'd probably lose the 105mm lens you currently have too, as there's a lot of congestion between 85-105-135 IMO. I took the opposite route and got the fastest 105 I could, but having fast 85 and 135mm lenses is also a great option for the flexibility.

I'm also no fan of zooms and would get rid of all of them, but I realize that's not for everyone.

Kit building is forever!

Ray, I sometimes wonder the same sort of thing, but I have to cover for sports so have to keep that stuff, too. When it comes to paring the kit, problem is I take the lens out, take a few photos, like them and then keep the lens. It is just so hard to say, "Goodbye."

leighton w
Total Posts: 8617

Ray, personally, unless you needed the money from the sale of one lens to finance another, then I wouldn't sell any of them. I've said this in the past, but I really think collecting these old lenses are somewhat of an investment. I believe they'll only go up in price in the future.

Just my 2 cents.

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 4619

leighton w wrote:
Ray, personally, unless you needed the money from the sale of one lens to finance another, then I wouldn't sell any of them. I've said this in the past, but I really think collecting these old lenses are somewhat of an investment. I believe they'll only go up in price in the future.

Just my 2 cents.

Thank you Philip, Eric and Leighton. I agree with a lot of what Philip says, especially my zooms (which I seldom ever use) Eric it is hard to say goodbye to some lenses, but then again, if some one else could really use them....
Leighton I think that the only lenses that will appreciate in true value are the "fast glass" lenses. The others are just too plentiful.

philipj
Total Posts: 823

MDoc9523 wrote:
Thank you Philip, Eric and Leighton. I agree with a lot of what Philip says, especially my zooms (which I seldom ever use) Eric it is hard to say goodbye to some lenses, but then again, if some one else could really use them....
Leighton I think that the only lenses that will appreciate in true value are the "fast glass" lenses. The others are just too plentiful.

That's my opinion too; my 28mm f/2.8 AI-s is likely not going to appreciate in value any time soon because: a) there are so darned many of them, and still more being made new, b) the aperture is pedestrian, no matter how good a performer it is. Lenses like the 35 or 85 f/1.4, 135 f/2, of 105 f/1.8, however, they'll hold their value or go up due to rarity and/or performance. Those are the lenses to hold on to, which is why I'm kicking myself over my 35 f/1.4.

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 4619

I have definitely been bitten by the fast glass. I am blown away by the quality and craftsmanship. Maybe it's just a phase I am going through. This 35mm 1.4 is just wonderful. Here's a couple shots from today's walk through the garden.

saph
Total Posts: 2071

Here's a crop of the diving gull. Laura, not sure how to calculate a 100% crop.

Samy

vpik01
Total Posts: 587

Tony, very nice bike, and good use of the 35mm f/1.4 AI-s! I'm going to have to get that lens back. I think I could probably live the rest of my days with a kit consisting of just the 35mm f/1.4 AI-s and 105mm f/1.8 AI-s and be, basically, perfectly content. Though I'd likely want an extension tube or two, too.

Thanks Philip, the 35/105 combo is killer. I have to agree, never used the 105/1.8 but I do love the size and results from the 105/2.5. I can't imagine you'd like loosing that 50/1.2 either... So a 35-50-105 makes for a nice kit too.

Ian - I like the Support our Lifeboats shot... amusing sign especially with the ducks.

Monty I was just looking at your profile. You have accumulated a very impressive kit. The lenses you have selected seem to make a perfect kit. You do need to add the new 55mm 1.2 to the list!
I was looking at my lenses and I have decided that I have way to many lenses. I have some that I haven't used in almost a year. I think that I have gone overboard in my collecting. Maybe I should pare it down to 16mm 3.5, 35mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4 , 85mm 1.4, & 300mm 4.5 Then I could sell the rest and maybe add a 135mm 2.0
I would love to have input from all of you on this idea.

Ray I understand your desire for a lens kit 'rationalization'... especially when I don't shoot with a lens for a while I get the same feeling. I think I could live with 24/2.8, 35/1.4, 55/2.8, 105/2.5, 180/2.8.

David Antilley
Total Posts: 312

NightOwl Cat wrote:
I'll bet Curtis bought it . He's been quiet for two days now.

Reagan wrote:

I guess "Nikki" is has an external following

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1168801

Reagan

Laura,

Curtis didn't get it but he definitely made me do it! I have grow to like the scalloped focus rings and build quality of these old lens. Thanks to Reagan as I would have missed it if he didn't provide the link.

Monty,

Love the Bokeh t-shirt, great find.

David

James Markus
Total Posts: 4242

philipj wrote:

That's my opinion too; my 28mm f/2.8 AI-s is likely not going to appreciate in value any time soon because: a) there are so darned many of them, and still more being made new, b) the aperture is pedestrian, no matter how good a performer it is. Lenses like the 35 or 85 f/1.4, 135 f/2, of 105 f/1.8, however, they'll hold their value or go up due to rarity and/or performance. Those are the lenses to hold on to, which is why I'm kicking myself over my 35 f/1.4.

In general, used lenses will hold or increase in value - as long as you maintain their condition. New lenses lose value the instant they leave the retailer. Camera bodies lose value faster than you can say yabba dabba doo. Over the last few years the increase in used lens prices has been astonishing to behold. Initially the big manufacturers (Canon and Nikon) increased prices 15-35% across the board - which had a similar effect on used lens prices. Then the Yen gained in value to the USD - which further increased used lens values. To now say that lenses are an investment is accurate - particularly over the last few years. However, if you looked at the prices of these seasoned lenses just 7-8 years ago - you could hardly give them away. I sold dozens of cameras and lenses from 2003 - 2005 and for penny's on the dollar. I don't expect the bottom to fall again like it did in the past. Especially with Nikon's many decades standard of using F-mount lenses.

rankamateur
Total Posts: 838

Did anyone notice the KEH cyber Monday Sale! I just looked and only 46 MF lenses show up. Looks like someone has been doing a lot of shopping. Do his initials start with an "M"

montym
Total Posts: 4692

rankamateur wrote:
Did anyone notice the KEH cyber Monday Sale! I just looked and only 46 MF lenses show up. Looks like someone has been doing a lot of shopping. Do his initials start with an "M"

Wasn't me
I did spent $160 at kelby.com for a year subscription to their training
$40 off

saph
Total Posts: 2071

Wasn't me depleting the KEH inventory

Moon with the 500 F4P + TC-301. This was with the Gitzo tripod/ballhead focused in live view. I don't have a remote for the D800 so I set the timer (I believe its at 10s), and I could definitely see the image settle down in live view within those 10 seconds.

Samy

vpik01
Total Posts: 587

Wasn't me
$40 off

Congrats Monty, I'd be interested to hear of your experience with this site. I've thought their catalog was pretty intriguing!

georgms
Total Posts: 3076

Hard to keep up with you fellow MF-Nikkor-shooters!
Some random notes about the last posts:

Ray, very nice work with your new 1.4-Nikkors. The shark is completely awesome - fantastic shot!

Jose, most impressive shot of the moon! Congrats to your 135/2 - the sunset-pano looks fantastic!

Ben, welcome back! Love the cruiseship taken with the 50/1.8 for the reasons Scott explained so nicely.
The "Gatorade-image" is brilliant as a modern landscape-shot!

Philippe, very cool street art- and modern art-pictures!

Bert, very nice portraits - great to see a photographer who is a painter as well!

Ian, I really like your scottish landscapes.

John, lovely and lively portraits of your daughters!

Samy, great shot of the moon! The birdfeeder-image is very nice too.

Monty, that picture of Rocky behind a modern painting is fantastic!

Chuong, I'll join the chorus: the candlelight-picture is stellar!

Alan, very cool story behind your beautiful pano from McGregor!

Laura, impressive detail on the wine bottle taken with the 50/1.2 on the V1!
I'm still learning on how to use this camera properly, but at least some of my early results are promising (this is strictly confidential, because it doesn't belong to this thread, but I've had a blast with the V1 on my AF-S 200/2 ;-).

Americo, very, very nice bokeh-play!

Chin, fabulous stitch of the hotel! I was tempted to ask if you've used a nodal-point-thingie from a tripod, but read that it was taken hand-held. Impressive - my stitches never come out so nicely...

Ron, love the story behind your portrait of your brother in law! Very nice shot of the feathered visitor!

Mark, very nice street-scene from the Marktgasse!

James, thanks for sharing your 24/28-comparison!

Philip, love your way to work with the 50/1.2! The Chinatown-cook is a wonderful picture!

Jeff, great set from your family! The picture of your wife drawing is wonderful.

Tony, fantastic set from the park!

Matt, cool portrait of Brandon in front of the christmas tree!

Kevin, love the nighshot of the cooling tower!

Jimmy, I like your marvellous macro-photographs a lot!

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2406

montym wrote:
rankamateur wrote:

Wasn't me
$40 off

I usually buy the Photoshop Down and Dirty Tricks from Kelby, good stuff.

georgms
Total Posts: 3076

My last pictures taken with MF-Nikkors aren't that interesting, so here's a shot taken early this year:

a young swedish artist building up his piece of modern art - D700, 28/2Ai at f/4

James Markus

I found him...it's Steve Wakeman HERE

Is that St Mary's? I never did shoot the outside of the cathedral. I got the inside and basement flooring.

bruni wrote:
James Markus wrote:
I concentrated on a peak performance f-stop comparison. There is no sharpening, distortion correction, chromatic aberration removal, or any adjustments...just SOC. In general, the 28 has stronger contrast at every f-stop, and is sharper...particularly at wider f-stops. From f2.8 to f4 the 28mm ais has it's greatest advantage over the 24mm ais...at f5.6 to f11 it is pretty much a tie. I know I can bring peak performance to the wider apertures by correcting for the aforementioned items that I did not do for this comparison.

Many years ago I use to have a 24mm ais - that I shot real estate on film with...using Nikon F3HP's. It was very beat up. This one has some coating issues, and it needs a good clean and lub, but the image quality is as good as I remember. I have another lens I am interested in checking out, but no experience with...and that is the 35mm f2.0 ai...I have one on the way. I have been using it's AF cousin often in the studio, and though it is a different optical formula - it is a very good performer. I think I remember someone on here took some really sharp images at circular quay in Sydney - at night (not Ben...if I remember right) and I was surprised at the lack of coma distortion. I'm hoping the one I found performs the same.

yeah, not me James - he did a lot of night shots at the Quay and at Darling Harbour with the 35 f2. I shot this the other night - but it doesn't show how it deals with coma:

ben

nikon 35mm f2 ais by benmorgan28, on Flickr

James Markus

I like this, georg. The toning in this reminds me of Ilford's multi-contrast pearl finish papers. Just the right amount of warm tones. How did you convert it?

georgms wrote:
My last pictures taken with MF-Nikkors aren't that interesting, so here's a shot taken early this year:

a young swedish artist building up his piece of modern art - D700, 28/2Ai at f/4

1       2       3              2281      
       2283              3823       3824       end