Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2281

1       2       3              2281      
       2283              5891       5892       end

leighton w
Total Posts: 12621

georgms wrote:

John, the fisheye-selfie with green-filter should make a really nice B&W. Sometimes accidents can lead to fantastic pictorial results;-)

jhinkey wrote:
Here you go Georg!

montym wrote:
Love it!
(that is one of the reasons I like b/w. I have soooo much trouble with white ballance)

leighton w wrote:
John, I like this version much better. Are you sure you're not on Mars, looks like the Rover behind your right shoulder!

montym wrote:
No clouds on Mars. Maybe NASA forgot to clone them out....

, I thought about that after I posted.

philipj
Total Posts: 885

A few more w/ the 28mm f/2.8 AI-s around downtown St. John's.

We have very few "skyscrapers" in St. John's (pop. ~150k, and the capital city of the province of Newfoundland and Labrador). Here are two of them:

Fortis by philipjohnson, on Flickr

Scotiabank by philipjohnson, on Flickr

My father used to own a health food store and cafe on Duckworth St, and these steps are next door to it. They lead up to the LSPU Hall, named for the Longshoremen's Protective Union, though it has been for the entirety of my lifetime a centre for the arts in the city.

LSPU steps by philipjohnson, on Flickr

leighton w

NightOwl Cat wrote:
Monty, how horrible that the pro ran out on them, but glad you were there to at least get some shots in the reception. May Tina and Brant have many very happy years together. I think she will love the shot, go for an 8x12 so nothing will get cropped out. Next stop for you, an SB-700 or SB-910/900 Today is my 34th, and it's hitting pretty hard.

Hang in there Laura, we're thinking of you.

philipj
Total Posts: 885

leighton w wrote:
Monty, this is excellent! This will make an outstanding print. I'm glad you used 2.8, anything smaller and you would have had troubles. The B&W is also ideal for this shot, they'll love it! Well done.

+1, Tina and her husband will be delighted with this!

leighton w

philipj wrote:
A few more w/ the 28mm f/2.8 AI-s around downtown St. John's.

My father used to own a health food store and cafe on Duckworth St, and these steps are next door to it. They lead up to the LSPU Hall, named for the Longshoremen's Protective Union, though it has been for the entirety of my lifetime a centre for the arts in the city.

LSPU steps by philipjohnson, on Flickr

I like this Philip. We've had a number of unusual compositions on the thread lately, and I've loved all of them!

Ian Boys
Total Posts: 3767

Nikon D50 / 20mm AI-S (=30mm)

Helen marching cheerfully uphill near Oldham. Didn't make it all the way as the wind picked up but she did OK till she started turning blue in the cold and had to turn around.

Dovestones by Ian_Boys, on Flickr

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 2489

Lieutenant Z wrote:
Nice Ronny ^

The Place de la Carrière, Nancy :

Philippe, I had never liked shift tilts for general photography as most people were using them to create ugly fake miniatures, in contrast you create truly beautiful images, this path through the trees is inspiring.

Reagan, love the kisimee Coupe de Ville.

Chin, pensive, feminine repose.

Leighton, your composition skills are impressive, a simple window shot of Icicles becomes yuxtaposition of trees and mountains with the right amount of defocus. The moonshot is quite moody as well.

David, moving 50 1.2 mourning angel.

Georg, perfect composition and perspective on your church door , I have the lens too.

Philip, the LSU stairs have a very appealing look.

Ian, unique and interesting look on the child photo. rain.

mp356
Total Posts: 5639

leighton w wrote:
A visitor came to the farm today!

Looking forward to Nikki in the valley. Nice first shot Leighton.
Scott

David Antilley
Total Posts: 313

montym wrote:
Well, for those of you who are not comfortable taking pictures of people, I found the perfect starting place. A wedding.

Last night my POD (Personal Occupancy Designstation) partner,Tina, got married. The hired photographer ditched out after the ceremony. I was wandering around the dinner and reception with my camera. I kinda looked like a pro. D600, grip and an 85mm f/1.4. People were coming up to me asking me to take their picture "Will you take our picture?" , "Will you take my picture with me grandma?" I just walked around and took everyones picture. No one crabbed at me.

When the bride and groom cut the cake, people ran over to me to photograph it. I'll tell you one thing, I know why real photographers use flashes. THe light was terrible for many pictures. I know my camera has a flash on it, but I've never used it

I only had my 85mm and found it too long for many of the shots people wanted me to take. If I was a real photographer, I would have taken my 28mm, 50mm and the ever present 85mm. Maybe the fisheye for the ceremony. (or a nice close up of the bride, making her nose about 10X larger than normal )

I'd like to print this picture and give to to Tina when we return to work on Wednesday. I've never been so worried about a print. I hope she likes it. I hope I didn't PP it too much.... Oh Well..

It looks great, you are very talented in both taking and PP.

Can't believe the pro left early...bloody photographers!

David

mp356

pbraymond wrote:
This is from my back window, don't think I've posted it before, but this was taken today. A vertical composition, lots of white space.

Ray (Ohio), I like the simplicity in this image.
Scott

mp356

Lieutenant Z wrote:
Nice Ronny ^

The Place de la Carrière, Nancy :

Philippe, very nice colors and shadows. Well seen.
Scott

mp356

Zichar wrote:
Thanks guys. I ran out of curly tongue shots though
I think she'd approve of this, taken to make her look more feminine, with a demure gaze

repose (CKC_8930) by Zichar, on Flickr

Wonderful pose Chin. She is pulling at your heart strings.
Scott

mp356

leighton w wrote:
I put Nikki to work this morning doing chores with me. She told me she didn't like getting up so early, especially on the weekends!

Leighton, that first image of the ice with Nikki is very nice.
Scott

mp356

Ian Boys wrote:
Nikon D50 / 20mm AI-S (=30mm)

Helen marching cheerfully uphill near Oldham. Didn't make it all the way as the wind picked up but she did OK till she started turning blue in the cold and had to turn around.

Dovestones by Ian_Boys, on Flickr

Very nice Ian.
Scott

leighton w

rafaelcasd wrote:

Leighton, your composition skills are impressive, a simple window shot of Icicles becomes yuxtaposition of trees and mountains with the right amount of defocus. The moonshot is quite moody as well.

Thanks Scott and Rafael, actually the icicles were shot off of a ladder leaning up against my barn. The ice was slowing sliding off of the barn roof creating the ice sheet and cycles. But you're right, it does look like a window shot.

You can see what I mean by looking at this one.

MarkdV
Total Posts: 1152

Leighton - amazing first shot with Nikki. She has to learn that on the farm you need to get up with the birds though (and often before).

Philippe, lovely work on the Place de la Carrière shot.

Ian - nice work using your new technique. very moody.

Reagan - love the action shot of the boys and cars in the mud.

Chin - love the portraits of your dog

Ray - those shots with the 85mm f1.4 are incredible how creamy the background is. just lovely.

David - beautiful from the cemetery.

Monty - Just wonderful picture from the wedding. I have no doubt she will love it. It was very nice of you to take photos from the reception for people, you never know just how special that could be. After our (U.K.) reception the mother of one of my wife's best friends had a routine operation that went terribly wrong and the last photos of them together were taken by people like you just being nice with a camera during the reception and they mean the world to her. (I hope that doesn't happen to anyone, but unfortunately you never know). So thanks.

mp356

I went back to that doorway I posted the other day, this time after dark. The moon broke through the snow clouds for a brief time. Both taken with the 28 2.8 ais.
Scott

leighton w

Love the door Scott, but the second one is a killer, wires and all!

montym
Total Posts: 4717

Thanks everyone for your comments and encouragement!

Monty

mp356

leighton w wrote:
Love the door Scott, but the second one is a killer, wires and all!

Thank you Leighton. I feel the same about the wires but there was not any way to work them out of the image.
Scott

1       2       3              2281      
       2283              5891       5892       end