Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2268

1       2       3              2268      
       2270              4153       4154       end

leighton w
Total Posts: 9139

adh67 wrote:
Almost ready to go to bed, I will try to catch up tomorrow. Here are a few taken while taking a rest day from work and computer. I was playing around with multiple flashlights a bit.

Bert

Bert, nice to meet you and your family!

adh67
Total Posts: 561

leighton w wrote:
adh67 wrote:
Almost ready to go to bed, I will try to catch up tomorrow. Here are a few taken while taking a rest day from work and computer. I was playing around with multiple flashlights a bit.

Bert

Bert, nice to meet you and your family!

Thx Leighton.

leighton w

James Markus wrote:
Anybody have any experience with the 24mm f2.8 ais, or the 35mm f2.0 ai?

Ray has already shown you an outstanding example of the 24 (which actually acts as a 36mm on his D7000). Here's one with it at close range which is how I like to use it. My plate was full the other day!

leighton w

Matt OHarver wrote:
Hey Guys I shot in the studio today, and I have been grabbing one MF lens each session. Here is one from tonight's session with the 85MM F1.4

Matt

Matt you're very good in the use of lighting, nice image. This is what the 85mm was really made for.

leighton w

asiostygius wrote:
Last night the sky was so clean that this was possible with a 1280 x 1.5 (D7000) = 1920mm telephoto wide open:

Even though f/11 or f/16 will deliver slightly better results, this is to show how this lens is good wide open even with a TC.

Jose, great moon shot! With your style of shooting, I bet you're looking forward to any new DX cameras Nikon may be bringing out.

bruni
Total Posts: 1419

Been crazy at work - but I've been following the thread. Didn't quite catch how it started but I got a great laugh over how exclusive and unfriendly you all apparently are....lol.

James - loved the misty pano and the pumpkins shot.
Phillippe - glad to hear about the 85mm purchase.

ben

nikon 24mm f2.8 NC by benmorgan28, on Flickr

nikon 50mm f1.8 AIS by benmorgan28, on Flickr

leighton w

Welcome home Ben! I love the perspective of the second image, well done.

saph
Total Posts: 2288

Ben, welcome back! Someone was wondering where you were just a few pages back Nice cruise ship pics again.

Bert, very nice family and home pictures.

Leighton, a lot to thank for just in that plate

Here's another pic that I found from the Conowingo outing. The out of focus eagles are an adult and a juvenile. This is a couple towers on a small isle in the middle of the river. There's usually action on and around the towers and the distance (maybe 300 meters?) is less of a burden on my setup and skills

Samy

asiostygius
Total Posts: 2576

a.RodriguezPix wrote:
MERRY BOKEH EVERYONE!!

_DSC3581 by Americo.Rodriguez, on Flickr

Americo, liked the bokeh and composition of this one.

asiostygius

Thank you Monty, Samy, Bert and Leighton.

Yes Leighton, I would love a D400 with 24Mp (for cropping even more), since birders almost always need cropping

Samy, nice "framing" of the BIF eagle.

funwithlight
Total Posts: 330

My friend trying out a Canon 1DX and 200mm f/1.8

Peace Officer

taken by noct nikkor/d600 @ f/1.2

asiostygius

saph wrote:
Jose, the moon's upside down! Superb again!!

At that magnification you should try some of the planets. I believe you should be able to see the rings of Saturn and a pretty good look at Jupiter.

Samy

asiostygius wrote:
Last night the sky was so clean that this was possible with a 1280 x 1.5 (D7000) = 1920mm telephoto wide open:

Samy, I even tried hard Jupiter with the same setup of the moon above, but never managed to get a good picture/exposure showing the belt

_D7A9863 by labecoaves, on Flickr

This is a huge crop ~50-60%. ISO 1600, f/11 at 1/5s.

saph

Jose, the 4 Jupiter moons are fantastic.

Not sure about the belt, maybe try exposing a bit less? Have you tried working with highlights/exposure in post processing. This is way beyond the limits of anything I have gotten to. With a Celestron reflector telescope a few years back, I could just barely (wasn't 100% sure) see the belt. I have to go back and check since its gathering dust in the garage, but I think it was 1200mm or so of focal length. I did see the Saturn rings fairly clearly once with that telescope.

Samy

asiostygius wrote:
saph wrote:
Jose, the moon's upside down! Superb again!!

At that magnification you should try some of the planets. I believe you should be able to see the rings of Saturn and a pretty good look at Jupiter.

Samy

asiostygius wrote:

Samy, I even tried hard Jupiter with the same setup of the moon above, but never managed to get a good picture/exposure showing the belt

This is a huge crop ~50-60%. ISO 1600, f/11 at 1/5s.

saph

Three more, hopefully the last ones from Conowingo Pay no attention to the dust spots!

Samy

mp356
Total Posts: 4249

bruni wrote:
ben

nikon 50mm f1.8 AIS by benmorgan28, on Flickr

Hi Ben. Nice angle of view! Looks like the ship just slid down the streets and into the harbor.
Scott

asiostygius

Yes Samy, I have tried underexposure too, but got no success. I am not expert on PS, but tried some sliders also with no success.
Some day I will experiment the 800 + tc20EIII + TC201 = 3200mm to see what I can get.

montym
Total Posts: 4709

leighton w wrote:
James Markus wrote:
Anybody have any experience with the 24mm f2.8 ais, or the 35mm f2.0 ai?

Ray has already shown you an outstanding example of the 24 (which actually acts as a 36mm on his D7000). Here's one with it at close range which is how I like to use it. My plate was full the other day!

Wonderful shot Leighton, it looks delicious!

montym
Total Posts: 4709

CGrindahl wrote:
I'll have to catch up tomorrow. I really need to go to bed, but I've spent much of the day and evening processing photos from yesterday and need to post one photo before turning it.

As I mentioned there were two babies present, one a bit over two months old and one ten days old. Here is a photo of the youngster on his father's lap... Shot with the 85 f/1.4 AI-s at f/2 in manual mode because of the poor lighting. Post processing was a challenge for that reason as well.

Mother and dad are researchers in the medical field, both with Ph.D. degrees, both working at UC San Francisco and both from Finland. They told the story yesterday about the birth of their child. Husband and wife share an interest in rock climbing and are in extremely good physical condition. When Maikki began having contractions, Ville, her husband was at the laboratory where there is lousy cell phone service and terrible land line service. Eventually she reached him and he rushed home. They proceeded to WALK the five hundred yards to the birthing center where she had the baby. When it was time to leave the hospital, they were told they could not be discharged until they produced a car seat for the baby. The fact they'd walked to the hospital and intended to walk home was beside the point. Ville had to walk home and bring the car seat back before they would release mother and child... who then walked home as Ville carried the car seat.

I'll share more photos from the day, but not until I've caught up with what I missed over the last two days. Now to bed!

Curtis.
Wonderful image! f/2.0 was a perfect choice! THe little guy's face is in focus and the rest of the pictures is just enough out of focus to draw my eye to Jr. If PP was difficult it sure doen't show it in the picture. THe colors and white balance are spot on. Again, wonder work!

THe great story just makes the whole thing that much better! We don't just share pictures here, we share our lives!!!!
Thanks
Monty

saph

Worth trying Jose, based on my limited glimpses through a telescope I think you are in the correct range already and the planet and its moons look reasonably circular.

I wonder though if adding more teleconverters worsens coma and degrades the image at those extremes? 3200mm is quite something though. I checked online and its seems to say 2000mm would be sufficient: http://starizona.com/acb/ccd/advimagingplanet.aspx

It maybe that the reflectors don't lose as much light and detail as the light passing through the many lens elements of a photographic lens (+ teleconverters), so maybe 2000mm in a telescope world is different?

Monty's an astronomy club regular, maybe he may have some thoughts or could ask there.

Samy

asiostygius wrote:
Yes Samy, I have tried underexposure too, but got no success. I am not expert on PS, but tried some sliders also with no success.
Some day I will experiment the 800 + tc20EIII + TC201 = 3200mm to see what I can get.

leighton w

CGrindahl wrote:
I'll have to catch up tomorrow. I really need to go to bed, but I've spent much of the day and evening processing photos from yesterday and need to post one photo before turning it.

As I mentioned there were two babies present, one a bit over two months old and one ten days old. Here is a photo of the youngster on his father's lap... Shot with the 85 f/1.4 AI-s at f/2 in manual mode because of the poor lighting. Post processing was a challenge for that reason as well.

Mother and dad are researchers in the medical field, both with Ph.D. degrees, both working at UC San Francisco and both from Finland. They told the story yesterday about the birth of their child. Husband and wife share an interest in rock climbing and are in extremely good physical condition. When Maikki began having contractions, Ville, her husband was at the laboratory where there is lousy cell phone service and terrible land line service. Eventually she reached him and he rushed home. They proceeded to WALK the five hundred yards to the birthing center where she had the baby. When it was time to leave the hospital, they were told they could not be discharged until they produced a car seat for the baby. The fact they'd walked to the hospital and intended to walk home was beside the point. Ville had to walk home and bring the car seat back before they would release mother and child... who then walked home as Ville carried the car seat.

I'll share more photos from the day, but not until I've caught up with what I missed over the last two days. Now to bed!

montym wrote:
Curtis.
Wonderful image! f/2.0 was a perfect choice! THe little guy's face is in focus and the rest of the pictures is just enough out of focus to draw my eye to Jr. If PP was difficult it sure doen't show it in the picture. THe colors and white balance are spot on. Again, wonder work!

THe great story just makes the whole thing that much better! We don't just share pictures here, we share our lives!!!!
Thanks
Monty

+1

1       2       3              2268      
       2270              4153       4154       end