Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2245

1       2       3              2245      
       2247              3805       3806       end

pbraymond
Total Posts: 1016

This one is an MF recreation, I took an almost identical one a few days before this, but it was with an AF lens and handheld. The frost conditions repeated themselves, and this time I used the 200 f4 AI and tripod mounted it to get a little more DOF.

Jammyn
Total Posts: 158

saph wrote:
Welcome Jammy! Good to see another recent convert. I started with DSLR photography about 6 years ago. I have been shooting almost exclusively with manual lenses the last few months, they are too much fun and unfortunately there's too many of them still floating around for acquisition

The 200 f4 is a very portable package for such a long focal length. The 105 is a stellar lens, there's too many great pics with that lens from a bunch of the thread participants.

Thanks, Samy. I bought the 70-200 f2.8 vrii last week but have not used it since I picked up the f4 last night. I have an offer in on the 300 f4.5 so that is another possible addition. It is indeed a joy to use the MF lens, but I think that I need put the brakes on spending after 300

Jammie

Matt OHarver
Total Posts: 3917

Prep night in the studio. I have the D3s and 85MM F1.4 in my hand, taken with the 105MM F1.8 on the D4 strobe assisted. You know you are An old photographer when you pull up the image in lightroom and use the eyedropper for white balance and try to pick just the right spot in your hair to get the WB right!

MJO_2950 by MattOphotog, on Flickr

Matt

georgms
Total Posts: 3043

Philippe, love "The quarrel of the Ancients and the Moderns".

Ian, the "Early Morning Light" portrait looks a bit like taken with a medium-format-camera on pushed film.
I really like this look and the picture in general. Made me think about Walker-Evans in color.

Kevin, love your series about the "Mad Scientist"! Very cool project on both sides of the camera.

Curtis, marvellous pictures from your friend's shop! I like especially the first one - a bit of foreground-blur can add a lot to a picture. The veteran-Nikkor performs beautifully indeed.

Jamie, welcome and have fun with your new lenses! Btw, don't be shy of posting your pictures a bit larger - 800 or 1024 pixels wide for horizontal shots would do your and the Nikkor's performance more justice (please excuse my English).

Ray, wonderful B&W-abstract of the roof-shingles (?). Love the textures, the tones, the framing - basically the whole picture ;-)

Matt and Monty, great selfies!

Leighton, Ray & Ray, Philippe, Curtis and James - thanks for your kind comments!

huddy
Total Posts: 1818

Very nice shots everyone. I got back several rolls of developed 35/120 Portra and 120 Ektar so I figured I'd share a 35mm shot that I'm pretty sure is from my 50/1.2:

Little man on the move
Portra 160 + 50/1.2 + F100

kwoodard
Total Posts: 2390

Matt OHarver wrote:
Prep night in the studio. I have the D3s and 85MM F1.4 in my hand, taken with the 105MM F1.8 on the D4 strobe assisted. You know you are An old photographer when you pull up the image in lightroom and use the eyedropper for white balance and try to pick just the right spot in your hair to get the WB right!

Matt

Jealous of all the gear and talent...

Zichar
Total Posts: 3315

Love the lines and shapes in that one, Raymond. Plus you've got really clean shingles!

montym
Total Posts: 4692

BUSY day. We worked on the club website, out for dinner, then a photo club meeting.

At the meeting tonight was started a "question and answer" session. About 10 minor so. All we want to do is get a dialogue started. Yours truly leads he discussion. Lucky for me the first question was how to blur the background in a photo I started yapping about f-stop and getting close to the subject. Of course my ever-present camera was at my side. And yes, it had my new 55mm f/1.2 AI on it (Thanks Matt!) As a demo I knelt in front of Jay with the lens wide open and snapped a picture. I just did it for a special effect. I didn't expect it to be in focus.

Surprise!!!

montym

kwoodard wrote:
Matt OHarver wrote:

Matt

Jealous of all the gear and talent...

Beautiful picture and focus!!!
Yes, I too am jealous!

and I might add, this picture is in focus and SHARP, Not like the one I just posted!

montym

pbraymond wrote:
This one is an MF recreation, I took an almost identical one a few days before this, but it was with an AF lens and handheld. The frost conditions repeated themselves, and this time I used the 200 f4 AI and tripod mounted it to get a little more DOF.

\

Hey! This is a COOL shoot! I like how the center diagonal line of shingles is brighter!
+1

montym

One more from the club meeting this evening...

Matt OHarver

Monty I see you have found a new friend! The difference between F1.2 and F1.4 doesn't seem that big numerically, but to me it's huge in DOF! You are doing wonders with it already! It took me 3 days to get one in focus shot with it when I first got it!

Matt

funwithlight
Total Posts: 301

No!

58mm f/1.2 D600

montym

Matt OHarver wrote:
Monty I see you have found a new friend! The difference between F1.2 and F1.4 doesn't seem that big numerically, but to me it's huge in DOF! You are doing wonders with it already! It took me 3 days to get one in focus shot with it when I first got it!

Matt

Thanks Matt. I agree, the different between F1.2 and F1.4 is huge with DOF.

But I beg to differ. I believe you and I have a huge difference in the focus. You have an much higher standard of standardness! You cannot compare the focus of your self portrait and the two pictures I posted! Night and Day! Yours are a zillion times better. You are a pro and I'm a snap-shot shooter!

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 7179

Didn't they have a Nikon version of that shirt?

montym wrote:
New lens, new t shirt

montym

Acidnaut wrote:
No!
Noct 58 f/1.2 D600

YES!!!!
I'm really starting to like f/1.2

Matt OHarver

montym wrote:
Matt OHarver wrote:

Matt

But I beg to differ. I believe you and I have a huge difference in the focus. You have an much higher standard of standardness! You cannot compare the focus of your self portrait and the two pictures I posted! Night and Day! Yours are a zillion times better. You are a pro and I'm a snap-shot shooter!

Mine is also at F5.6 ISO 100 and 1/250 with 4 high powered strobes! And I used a tape measure to set the focus distance from sensor plane to subject! So essentially I cheated my way to a good photo!

Matt

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 7179

It'd be really funny on that 800 that's still available at KEH.... let's see.. 800 times 2.9 crop factor is... add in TC 301...

Foggy14 wrote:

Laura, the shots of the V1 with the 300mm made me smile.

Take care,
Jeff

Love this one, Phillipe.

Lieutenant Z wrote:
Thank you leighton.

The quarrel of the Ancients and the Moderns :

Ian, love this one, the eyes!

Ian Boys wrote:
A rare colour one from me - 50mm f1.2 @f2:

Kev, I saw that teapot and recognized it immediately. I've got one just like it on my stove! Love the look on your daughter's face in the first shot.

kwoodard wrote:
Girls are out of school for the holiday, decided to do some chemistry

Series E 50mm f/1.8

The Mad Scientist!

I looked in my bag and my one 105 has multiplied in there... there's now three in there. They are such a sweet bunch for sure

CGrindahl wrote:
I processed some photos I took recently for my friend who has a shop in Mill Valley featuring wares from India that she imported. I shot with the 105 f/2.5 P AI'd. I really love how this sweet old lens performs.

I know what you mean, James, it's been just about 2 1/2 years since I lost mine. This part time gig that just fell in my lap is going ok, but it's just excel spreadsheets :

Hope something comes your way soon.

James Markus wrote:
Ray, I'm just trying to be practical. I have big eyes for gear, but can not afford my own desires. :-)

Thanks Curtis. I don't have any budget for gear since losing my newspaper job due to the economic crisis, and the culture shift concerning print media. I could write an incredibly boring post on how I sold and acquired gear over the last year with no out of pocket costs. I'm happy with how it is working out, but I need to justify all my equipment's existence by using it.

Matt. I've not tried that yet, although I think you have a little bit more white in your hair than I do

Matt OHarver wrote:

Matt

montym

Matt OHarver wrote:
montym wrote:
Matt OHarver wrote:

Matt

Mine is also at F5.6 ISO 100 and 1/250 with 4 high powered strobes! And I used a tape measure to set the focus distance from sensor plane to subject! So essentially I cheated my way to a good photo!

Matt

My Christmas wish list just inflated...

Matt OHarver

Tonight after getting back from the studio, Brandon and I prepped a Turkey for deep frying tomorrow at my day job. I broke out the 35MM F1.4 and took some images. He broke out his favorite Apron.

MJO_2956 by MattOphotog, on Flickr

MJO_2964 by MattOphotog, on Flickr

MJO_2966 by MattOphotog, on Flickr

Matt

1       2       3              2245      
       2247              3805       3806       end