Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2235

1       2       3              2235      
       2237              4234       4235       end

Zichar
Total Posts: 3520

I use my left or right whatever strikes my fancy
Tried switching to the left after watching this video from Joe McNally, was making its rounds on the photography forums back then
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDsx3-FWfwk
I catch myself with the right sometimes

Zichar

I love the first shot georg, haha the expression is much better in that one. Maybe not for a serious piece though

The balloons are lovely chuong. I can't help thinking it must be cold out there though lol

I've never had an In-N-Out burger before though I've read a lot about 'em. Instantly recognizable. Colours are brilliant and you're right, so clean and crisp. Looks like a model building!

Wonderful picture Larry, the colours are psychedelic; the iridescent hues remind me of opals, or the sheen of oil on water, or the exoskeleton of some metallic blue beetle

Once I read cotton fields, I started humming the tune from that old CCR song, of the same title. I like the close-up, can tell what you mean by it being rough on the hands, yikes.

Note to self, don't drink coffee so late in the evening

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 7679

Might want to fix the date though, or your uncle will be doing Christmas a month ahead of everyone...

montym wrote:
On a sillier note, from my 97 year Uncle's desk.
When is the last time you saw one of these being used

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5082

leighton w wrote:
rattymouse wrote:
Apparently I could fit in this thread were I to shoot a Nikon FILM camera (loaded with FUJIFILM) and be OK. Yet somehow shooting a Nikon camera with a FUJIFILM sensor ruins the integrity of the thread and offends the eyes of the viewer.

I'm sorry, but your incessant whining is starting to get ridiculous. Let me try to explain it ONE MORE TIME.

YES to your first statement, you can share on this thread with a Nikon film camera OR a Nikon P&S while using Nikon manual focus glass, as LONG as it's made by NIKON!

But your re-branded Nikon camera that has the word FUJI on it is NOT allowed. I'll ask again, what part of this don't you understand. It's like going to play in a baseball game and then saying to everyone else, wait, I don't like this and want to use a football.

Are you purposely trying to be obtuse? You remind me of a little kid who thinks if they scream loud enough they'll get their way. Here's a tip. This thread is full of some of the nicest people I know who seem to play well together, so don't go around telling others that we're some kind of mean ogres, you're true colors start to show.

You asked to be pointed to another thread you could post in, so for the record, this one would fit your gear: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/597185

It's a waste of time talking to Rattymouth. I have been in this thread for a year and a half and the only unfriendly person I have met is him. Please don't respond to him. Even if he decides to actually buy a Nikon camera, do you really want him here

Zichar

Inspired by Rocky's behind the covers image...
Unfortunately Oolong wasn't as cooperative, kept peering out to look at the tv (for real this time, not the washer)

50mm f/1.2 AIS wide open

watchin' the game (CKC_8608) by Zichar, on Flickr

raboof
Total Posts: 1480

Zichar wrote:
Unfortunately Oolong wasn't as cooperative, kept peering out to look at the tv (for real this time, not the washer)

50mm f/1.2 AIS wide open

It's cute. Oolong was thinking...I am going to sneak a peek at the TV when you start looking through the viewfinder

leighton w
Total Posts: 9279

rattymouse wrote:
Apparently I could fit in this thread were I to shoot a Nikon FILM camera (loaded with FUJIFILM) and be OK. Yet somehow shooting a Nikon camera with a FUJIFILM sensor ruins the integrity of the thread and offends the eyes of the viewer.

leighton w wrote:
I'm sorry, but your incessant whining is starting to get ridiculous. Let me try to explain it ONE MORE TIME.

YES to your first statement, you can share on this thread with a Nikon film camera OR a Nikon P&S while using Nikon manual focus glass, as LONG as it's made by NIKON!

But your re-branded Nikon camera that has the word FUJI on it is NOT allowed. I'll ask again, what part of this don't you understand. It's like going to play in a baseball game and then saying to everyone else, wait, I don't like this and want to use a football.

Are you purposely trying to be obtuse? You remind me of a little kid who thinks if they scream loud enough they'll get their way. Here's a tip. This thread is full of some of the nicest people I know who seem to play well together, so don't go around telling others that we're some kind of mean ogres, you're true colors start to show.

You asked to be pointed to another thread you could post in, so for the record, this one would fit your gear: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/597185

MDoc9523 wrote:
It's a waste of time talking to Rattymouth. I have been in this thread for a year and a half and the only unfriendly person I have met is him. Please don't respond to him. Even if he decides to actually buy a Nikon camera, do you really want him here

I know you're right Ray, but honestly, SOMETIMES....

leighton w

Zichar wrote:
I use my left or right whatever strikes my fancy
Tried switching to the left after watching this video from Joe McNally, was making its rounds on the photography forums back then
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDsx3-FWfwk
I catch myself with the right sometimes

I'm another right hander...left eye shooter.

Reagan
Total Posts: 2925

In case anyone is looking for a D700

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1167097

Reagan

Zichar

Heh thanks Chuong. It's probably my fault, took quite a while to get her eyes in focus, I really dislike the min focusing distance on the 50 f/1.2. Simply rocked back and forth, then muttered a semi-silent prayer...

Here's a more classic look, taken at that phantom f/1.4 detente

queen of comforter hill by Zichar, on Flickr

David Antilley
Total Posts: 313

rattymouse wrote:
NightOwl Cat wrote:
Ok, so tonight I decided to test out the V1 with the 300 f/4.5. I tried shooting some aircraft overhead, but nothing recognizable came of it. Definitely not something I'm good at handholding, yet, but I braced it on a headstone and got this shot.

Fascinating. Absolutely fascinating. A tiny cropped sensor camera is allowed to post images here using manual focus Nikon lenses but a modified Nikon D200 user is told their images are not welcome here.

I would LOOOVE to hear the logic behind that one. Thread integrity is maintained keeping images from my Nikon built D200 DSLR (w/fuji APS-C Fuji sensor) camera out and not threatened by a tiny cropped sensor mirrorless camera. A mirrorless camera that has absolutely nothing in common with a DSLR other than the appropriate name printed on the camera.

Yep, photography is #1 here.

Edit: This is not a dig at you NightOwl Cat, as I would not have a problem with you posting in any forum devoted to Nikon Manual Focus Lenses.

Oh the inhumanity, what is this world coming to today! Starving childen, war, hurricanes, and you are dissed on a forum.

David

raboof
Total Posts: 1480

Reagan - GLWS. Nice price + the lens at $100 is a giveaway. It's a nice lens.

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 7679

Georg, too bad the cemetery here doesn't allow things like this. During the summer, I carry a one gallon water bottle with me, filled with water from home. Can't put any sort of potted plants there, either.

georgms wrote:
Monty, that's a fine documentary piece! Mid or late 50's I would guess.
A sign for the world getting "smaller" due quickly expanding airline traffic I assume.

Speaking of another world - this isn't irreverent meant - many elders here spend a lot of time caring for the graves of the gone relatives and friends.
Sometimes this results in kinda strange sights, like this one:

fall colors von georgsfoto auf Flickr
taken 2009, D700, some Ai'd Nikkor 50/1.4

OMG, that IS a bee on the top there!! WOW. Can't think of where I'd use an 800 on a regular basis though... before anyone tries to tempt me with the one at KEH.

asiostygius wrote:
Back at home and with a sunny afternoon, I was taking some pictures of the pine in front (and below) of my balcony, 25m away, experimenting once more the 800 + TC20EIII:

Pine tip with a 1600mm f/11 telephoto by labecoaves, on Flickr
This was taken 25m away with D7000 + TC20EIII + Nikkor 800mm f/5.6 ais EDIF (=1600mm f/11) + tripod.
ISO 320, f/16 (8) at 1/125s.

Matt, if/when it does come to surgery, after all the PT, the relief from pain will be well worth it. It's been just over two years since my rotator cuff surgery was done, while they were in the neighborhood they fixed a few other things like a torn bicep and some arthritis spurs, and I feel so much better now. Hope you can put enough aside for when you do have to have the downtime.

Matt OHarver wrote:
leighton w wrote:
Great shots Matt, good to see you posting again!

Thanks I've been put on a combination of oral steroids, Anti-inflammitories, and pain medicine has relieved the pain enough for me to use the camera when I'm not being paid. I'm just hoping they can find a long term non surgical "fix" for this. It feels good to be able to get out and almost enjoy myself, I'm sure it's short lived but I'll take whatever break I can get at this point. It's been a rough time lately.

Matt

Thanks Matt. I think someone is putting these colors up for me lately, so I always bring a camera with me to the cemetery. Unfortunately it's in a section of town that is rather run down and trouble prone, so I make sure I keep my wits about me while I'm there.

Matt OHarver wrote:
NightOwl Cat wrote:
Ok, so tonight I decided to test out the V1 with the 300 f/4.5. I tried shooting some aircraft overhead, but nothing recognizable came of it. Definitely not something I'm good at handholding, yet, but I braced it on a headstone and got this shot.

I always love how you can capture those colors in the sunset.

Matt

Thanks Kev. Probably wouldn't be too hard to paint it black

kwoodard wrote:
NightOwl Cat wrote:

This shot is pretty amazing. Wonder how it would look with the streetlight removed in post?

Wow, I stopped in at an In and Out while I was in Dallas. First time we went to one when we lived in CA, we didn't know about their portions, and ordered large fries for each of us , no, we didn't finish them.... love the shot.

rafaelcasd wrote:
Been busy with the time change and the customer in town.
Just enough time for in and out.
love my D3, so clean at high iso with no help. 50mm 2.0 at 2.8. This is a perfect sample.

nikon nikkor 50mm 2.0 ai D3 inand out by Rafael CA, on Flickr
The crop:

nikon nikkor 50mm 2.0 ai D3 in and out crop by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Thanks Peter, but I don't lug that headstone around either I'd taken a bunch of stuff out of the trunk of the car in order to go grocery shopping, and I need to put everything back in the trunk (boot) now.

Oosty wrote:
NightOwl Cat wrote:

Laura, this is excellent. A monopod is lighter though

Thanks Georg, I definitely need to teach the muscles to hold it a little better before I try another handhold shot . The planes, if they'd not been so blurry, would have been great. From where I was sitting, you could see a dot and a contrail.

georgms wrote:
Laura, very nice evening sky and a pretty serious looking 300/4.5 on that V1!

Americo, I hope your new 85/1.4 Ais will not disappoint you!

Rafael, very nice mix between the light-sources. The 50/2 seems to be a real winner.

Love it, Chin!

Zichar wrote:

50mm f/1.2 AIS wide open

Rather sudden, Reagan. Hope nothing's wrong other than an itch to try mirrorless. The V1s were on sale not that long ago for pretty cheap.

Reagan wrote:
In case anyone is looking for a D700

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1167097

Reagan

Why oh why am I thinking of Willie Wonka And The Chocolate Factory now?

philipj
Total Posts: 850

I would again like to advance the idea of allowing any Nikon-mount camera be allowed to post in the thread. My arguments are the following:

- We are in the Nikon-mount SLRs forum, rather than a strictly Nikon cameras forum.
- The Fuji cameras have a native F-mount, which is more than can be said for the 1 system.
- It is better to be inclusive than exclusive, particularly considering the commonalities with the Fuji and Nikon DSLRs of the same era.

I also don't want the thread to devolve into an alt-like thread with m4/3 and NEX and whatnot images, but the Fuji cameras are meant to be in this forum already, there seems little reason to limit them from this specific thread.

And then we could stop talking about it, once and for all.

leighton w

philipj wrote:
I would again like to advance the idea of allowing any Nikon-mount camera be allowed to post in the thread. My arguments are the following:

- We are in the Nikon-mount SLRs forum, rather than a strictly Nikon cameras forum.
- The Fuji cameras have a native F-mount, which is more than can be said for the 1 system.
- It is better to be inclusive than exclusive, particularly considering the commonalities with the Fuji and Nikon DSLRs of the same era.

I also don't want the thread to devolve into an alt-like thread with m4/3 and NEX and whatnot images, but the Fuji cameras are meant to be in this forum already, there seems little reason to limit them from this specific thread.

And then we could stop talking about it, once and for all.

Philip, this is NOT directed at you. There is always one person who upsets the apple cart and then everyone capitulates to them by allowing whatever it is they wanted, while the majority were opposed in the first place. We have talked about this in the past and made this decision to the majorities approval. I for one would like to see it stay as is.

Just my 2 cents.

Matt OHarver
Total Posts: 4068

phillip I have to disagree. This thread and it's idea created by Curtis has it's own life and own following and does very well as it is. If there is a need for a different thread, there is plenty of bandwidth for someone to create and grow one.

We need to respect this thread and it's intent that has been created.

Matt

mp356
Total Posts: 4285

Zichar wrote:

50mm f/1.2 AIS wide open

Nice capture Chin. The OOF background is well rendered.
Scott

huddy
Total Posts: 1825

Ratty,
FWIW, I enjoy your shots that you post in the alt subforum, especially your film work and it stinks to see you deviate from displaying nice shots like you usually do there.

"As I said on another thread, it is time for Nikon users to celebrate lenses that more often are talked about on the Alternative Gear forum where they are being mounted on cameras from other manufacturers." Curtis chose to start the thread for Nikon lenses and Nikon bodies because there previously wasn't a place where one existed, at least not on FM.

No one is trying to exclude or be rude to you. The people that post here often come and stay because the group is generally congenial and polite. I'm sorry that you are offended by the spirit of the thread and whom it was started for; however, there is no need to act in a provocative manner. One of the great things about this thread is the usual absence of such displays. Most shooters feel very welcomed by the group. Again, I'm sorry that you feel so offended, and I'm not going to tell you to scram, but good-natured questions and civil discourse would be more effective means for discussing the topic than intermittent provocation and name-calling.

I largely agree with you that the S5 makes much better sense here than it does in the alt subforum and I don't fault you for that conclusion. In the end, I think a lot of this issue comes from the fact that the alt forum was created for non Canikon digital systems and that the S5 sits in a weird overlap between the two subforums. If you'd like to initiate a discussion over the merits of this, that is fine, and would not likely be unwelcome by posters if you were to do it in a civil manner.

rankamateur
Total Posts: 851

The new lens I purchased from Don Smith on the B&S. It is better than advertised. Looking at the mount I wonder if it was really ever on a camera. Took a shot with it while walking today. The guy who lives in this house-John and a lot of you would not have your nice hiking stuff were it not for his father W.L. Gore(Goretex) This is his son Bob's home. You can not really get close to it without trespassing as it is a 1/4 mile off the highway. This is the back of it that faces the White Clay Creek Watershed. Pics taken with the trusty 24 2.8 AI-S- with CPU

leighton w

Congrats Ron, looks like a beauty!

1       2       3              2235      
       2237              4234       4235       end