Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2205

1       2       3              2205      
       2207              4066       4067       end

Oosty
Total Posts: 4016

Georg - more great work

Ron - Very nice - presumably before Sandy arrived?

Eric - that dog again! Crappy name but a beaut

Oosty

Got the camera out today - not for long before the battertyquit!!

Oosty

Before the battery quit - (quickly followed by another generic) - I got to the beach and took a couple of shots. The last two are pano's - not nearly in John's league but working on it.

leighton w
Total Posts: 9016

Oosty wrote:
Before the battery quit - (quickly followed by another generic) - I got to the beach and took a couple of shots. The last two are pano's - not nearly in John's league but working on it.

Very nice Peter.

Big Appa
Total Posts: 1057

Nice shots, Peter. Those D200 love using up battery power, don't they!

Ed

huddy
Total Posts: 1825

I would just echo what everyone else has said about the 20/3.5 AI/AI-S:
Ridiculously small. The 20/2.8 isn't large, but it dwarfs the 20/3.5.
Excellent flare control. Easily better than the 20/2.8.
Vignettes pretty strongly. Worse than the 20/2.8 in this regard.
Sharpness does decline in the corners until you stop down, and the far corners don't ever come in to the extent that they did on the 20/2.8. Sharpness goes to the 20/2.8.
20/3.5 is sharper at close distances than infinity. The 20/2.8 seemed very good across the range of focus.

I tend to agree with what Bjorn and Thom H. have said about the lenses. The 20/2.8 is certainly a nice little lens, easily Nikon's best 20mm prime and worth owning if you like the FL in a reasonable size but don't have the dough for nicer, newer lenses like the 14-24 or ZF 21/2.8 or any 20/2.8G if that ever were to happen. The 20/3.5 is tiny, and perfect for shooting closeups or into the sun. Having used both, they are distinctly different and I would usually prefer the 20/2.8, with a 20/3.5 for special applications if I had to use a Nikkor. FWIW, the newest 20/2.8s (like those that I have passed along) were very new serial numbers and probably have Super Integrated Coatings rather than Nikon Integrated Coatings. If you have the money to find the newest AI-S lenses (post 2006 or so), I think it is worth the wait. My departed 35/1.4, 20/2.8, and still-possessed 180/2.8 all had/have different coatings than my older lenses and I always thought they were advantageous to have for digital imaging.

leighton w
Total Posts: 9016

Internet is still sloooow, almost to dial-up speed.

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 4892

Thank you Philip, Peter and leighton.
Georg your shot with the 20mm 3.5 are amazing
Peter you are making the 28mm sing!!!
Leighton we are all so glad you didn't get the brunt of Sandy!

saph
Total Posts: 2258

Ray,

Very nice acquisition and first results!

The background is a busyish, but then I have begun to like lenses that add a bit of character to the background.

Samy

MDoc9523 wrote:
The postman made a wonderful delivery today. A mint Nikkor 35mm 1.4 AI-S. I picked it up off of Flea-bay. The seller said it was mint and he wasn't kidding! It is sharp and bokehlicious!

saph

Georg, nice night time b&w of the hotel, it sure has an interesting front.

Samy

georgms wrote:
Just two snaps taken on the run:

a well-known hotel here, it can be found in many thousands private vacation-photo-albums for sure
taken with the 24/2Ai at f/2.8 on a D700 in crop-mode, handheld, 1/5sec at ISO3200

green environment, found today in my beloved hometown:

55/1.2Ai wide-open, D3s

saph

John, what a vista! Needs a long enough wall in a room to mount on.

Samy

jhinkey wrote:
OK - you veterans of this thread knew I was going to do this to you. Time to break your monitors.

Here's a super panorama just before sunrise atop Haleakala from eight 105/2.5 AIS shots stitched together in PTGui (CS6 couldn't do it).

1/8 sec, f/5.6, ISO 100

This is about 1/4 the full LINEAR resolution in the original file (!!).

Enjoy! Mahalo!

John

MDoc9523

Thank you Samy The lens certainly has an artistic flare to it

saph

Ed, so well composed that shot of the train track, it starts of at the corner and leads one right through the scene.

Samy

Big Appa wrote:
I'll have to go along with all the comments Georg has given, plus his beer in the pine shot!

Here are two with my 105 2.5 and the D200.

saph

Eric, too bad you couldn't sneak out to take in more of Chicago. Interesting architecture of the buildings, particularly in that second shot.

Samy

stedge wrote:
Very funny video.

That pano is great work, once again!

Had a quick 24 hour jaunt for some meetings in Chicago. No time to go street shooting, but grabbed a couple looking out the window early AM and toward the convention center as I psyched up.... 55/1.2 SC and 20/3.5

It was nice and cool there. Back home in the 60s, I am buming up. Give me winter, snow, and all that good stuff!

MDoc9523

rankamateur wrote:
jhinkey wrote:
I'm glad we all roughly agree on the 20/2.8 vs. the 20/3.5!

As a side note I briefly had a 20/2.8 AIS in addition to my 20/2.8D and I essentially found little difference between them - so little that I kept my AF version since it was cheaper to keep it than to keep the 20/2.8 AIS and occasionally AF came in handy.

2 Lenses I will never sell the 16 3.5 and this one the 20 3.5 UD 72mm version. Oops added another a closeup done with it. 100% crop

I have never tried a 20mm 3.5 but I agree with the 16mm 3.5 - I'll never sell mine either!

MDoc9523

Big Appa wrote:
I'll have to go along with all the comments Georg has given, plus his beer in the pine shot!

Here are two with my 105 2.5 and the D200.

Nice shots ED I like the second one very much!

saph

While the architecture of the cathedral is impressive, so is the b&w capture of the lines and shadows in the second one.

Samy

Lieutenant Z wrote:
Cathedral of Strasbourg, 28 2.8 :

saph

Peter, really neat cropped pano. Like the white waves coming in from the blue sea.

Samy

Oosty wrote:

rolubich
Total Posts: 128

Mishu01 wrote:
Anyone knows more how 20/4 compare with the others?

I agree about the differences that have came out between the 20mm f/2.8 and f/3.5, tha latter being very good at close distances and against the sun but quite soft in the corners at infinity even well stopped down.
My 20mm f/4 copy is quite good at infinity in the borders/corners (better than f/3.5 and worse than f/2.8) but poor in the borders/corners at close distances.
Center is always very good wide open too and I like the way it render contrast and colour.
Being so small and light it is the 20mm I usually bring with me when I travel.

Some samples all at f/11

Istanbul

Full Res

Lisbon

Full Res

Isola d'Elba (Italy)

Full Res

Dubai

Full Res

montym
Total Posts: 4701

MDoc9523 wrote:
The postman made a wonderful delivery today. A mint Nikkor 35mm 1.4 AI-S. I picked it up off of Flea-bay. The seller said it was mint and he wasn't kidding! It is sharp and bokehlicious!

Beautiful. both the lens and the pictures!!!!

1       2       3              2205      
       2207              4066       4067       end