Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2011

1       2       3              2011      
       2013              5887       5888       end

Mishu01
Total Posts: 2444

deang001 wrote:
Laura - great stuff with Nikki ... you have done her proud !! The sunsets and cats were wonderful.

+1 Laura! Great job!

georgms
Total Posts: 4045

Mike, love your very moody landscape!

Rafael, perfect use of the creamy rendering of the 55/1.2 - this beautifully done portrait would loose it's dreamy character if taken with a high-contrast-lens.

James, wonderful shot!

Jose, your BIFs are nothing short of spectacular! I like especially the Caracara-picture - it's just the right amount of background visible (in terms of framing and sharpness) behind the perfectly focused bird. This image would loose a lot of it's attraction if the background was completely blurred.

georgms

Laura, love the sequence of the "burning sky". Congrats to your new job!

Jose, the "Burrowing Owls" are fantastic! There might be more majestic looking birds, but the owls are the coolest looking birds around. Your 400/5.6's seem to get a lot of use lately - they are probably a very nice mix between optical quality, reach and portability.

Rafael, love your normal-lens-party-pics :-) The 58/1.4 is not just a beautiful looking lens; it seems to be a really good performer in the field - hope you find a cheap, already Ai'd copy of this lens as a donor for the ring.

Ray, congrats to your breathtaking sunset-shot!

bruni
Total Posts: 1650

rafaelcasd wrote:
bruni wrote:
rafaelcasd wrote:
Laura, great sunsets with one of my favorite lenses.
Jose, your 400mm needs a vacation in San Diego, great shot of the owls.

Finally got around to checking my new acquisition: the 5.8cm 1.4. This is purely a historical buy, could not resist the combination of price an condition with original filter and shade. To celebrate most of my 'normal' lenses attended a party:
50mm 2.0, 5.8 cm 1,4, 50mm 1.4 SC, 55mm 1.2 ai, 55 mm 1.2 s and 50mm 1.2 ais.
[

very beautiful Rafael - but I see a clear gap in the collection - you have the 50mm f1.4 S and SC....but in 55 1.2 you have only the S. I can hear the SC calling your name.

ben

Ben, would you know where I can find a mint ai converted 55mm 1.2 SC?

Rafael - if I knew that I wouldn't tell you - lol.

I've got 2 55mm f1.2SCs - one is in much better condition than the other. One has a couple of quite big black spots inside it (which is why I bought the second one) - but the picture quality is the same. Neither was converted to Curtis' standards (using the nikon kit) - but as I say, they both work perfectly even though one is quite beaten up. Your lenses look immaculate so I understand you want a mint copy. They're rare - but they're out there - you have to be patient (which is something I cannot do).

ben

bruni
Total Posts: 1650

Mishu01 wrote:
bruni wrote:

wow Mihai - those 2 portraits shots are incredible. The blur looks like it was taken with a much longer lens but at the same time you can tell it's something shorter up close - what a great effect. The B&W works well too.
ben

Thanks Ben. Actually the guy was very close to me, talking to me and to another guy at my left. It was almost the MFD for the lens. I took my camera and I did a couple of shots... without any warning... I am a hunter and I try to steal images.

that makes the focus even more remarkable - it's never easy at 1.2 - I usually need plenty of time to adjust

ben

georgms

Ron, the "hedge apple" looks really cool. Congrats to your 50/1.2! Using fast lenses is demanding, but lot of fun.

Jeff, love the beach-shot! Sorry, I don't find the words to describe my thoughts about this very fine photograph. Somehow the gull seems to counterbalance the heavy sea and the massive sky. Very well done!

Nancy, thank you for sharing these world-class-photographs! I love especially the stellar shot of Yang Bo - it doesn't get any better.
Did Kodak used to run a special Kodachrome-lab at these events? I've started shooting sports (mostly football - the british variant with the really round ball) around 1994 and most pros carried some sort of a Jobo-rotary-processor for C41 with them.

John, fantastic seascapes! The 200/4 seems to be up to the D800-task - any insights about it's performance compared to the rare AF 200/3.5?

Tony, great work in spain and in your lab! Love the classic Tri-X 400 look. My personal favs are #1 and #2 for the excellent framing. Fantastic depth in shot #2 - perfect use of the light.

Monty, the "milling-machines" are top-notch B&W!

Curtis - excellent bridge-pano!

Leighton, the new processing fits the subject very well. I would rotate the picture a wee bit clockwise, but that's just me and nitpicking :-)

Mihai, love the second of the close B&W-portraits taken with the Noct!

Philippe, that last pumpkin is awesome!

Eric, very nice image of the Crepe murtles!

Tony, beautiful portraits of your wife!

Dean, the lazy male lion is more than just impressive!

jhinkey
Total Posts: 8403

georgms wrote:

John, fantastic seascapes! The 200/4 seems to be up to the D800-task - any insights about it's performance compared to the rare AF 200/3.5?

Well, the 200/3.5 is about as sharp, but has a bit less CA and less light fall-off than the 200/4 AIS (light fall-off is my most major issue with the 200/4) and I believe better flare control and a bit higher contrast. But it is a big and heavy lens compared to the relatively svelte 200/4 AIS. The 200/3.5 is easier to hand hold because of it's size and weight. Although technically an AF lens the focusing ring is on the stiff side, but that's OK because it won't accidentally move on you. The focus throw is about the same as the 200/4 AIS - meaning it's pretty nice and not overly sensitive nor sluggish. Both lenses run out of sharpness at 36MP which I suspect on 12MP it would be more than fine even wide open.

I have not used it much due to it's size and weight (didn't make it to Hawaii). It almost needs a built-in tripod collar . . .

John

John

georgms

Thanks for the kind comments on the skull-portrait and the tilted leaves!
Some pictures from this night, taken for a small local paper - the tram here had to replace one of many switches. This kind of action is usually done at night to keep the traffic obstruction down to a minimum.

ambient light-levels were kinda low - D3s, PC 85/2.8 wide open, a bit shifted to the right, 1/250sec, ISO6400

tried to get some more tracks into the foreground, adjusted the exposure for the background
D3s, ISO 6400, 1/60sec. PC 85/2.8 wide open and 2 or 3 degrees of "down-tilt" (silly idea in this case)

a more atmospheric shot from the opposite direction, my own favorite from this night and pick of the paper too
D700, Ai-Nikkor 35/1.4 at f/4 to get some "stars", ISO 3200 and 1/30sec

one track stayed open to carry the ever hungry students to the "mensa" (university canteen) :-)

That's a rather meaningless story and the pictures are nothing special, but I thought I add something completely different to this thread.
Btw, the use of the PC 85/2.8 was just to get a feel for this lens and completely unnecessary.

georgms

jhinkey wrote:
georgms wrote:

Well, the 200/3.5 is about as sharp, but has a bit less CA and less light fall-off than the 200/4 AIS (light fall-off is my most major issue with the 200/4) and I believe better flare control and a bit higher contrast. But it is a big and heavy lens compared to the relatively svelte 200/4 AIS. The 200/3.5 is easier to hand hold because of it's size and weight. Although technically an AF lens the focusing ring is on the stiff side, but that's OK because it won't accidentally move on you. The focus throw is about the same as the 200/4 AIS - meaning it's pretty nice and not overly sensitive nor sluggish. Both lenses run out of sharpness at 36MP which I suspect on 12MP it would be more than fine even wide open.

I have not used it much due to it's size and weight (didn't make it to Hawaii). It almost needs a built-in tripod collar . . .

John

John

Thanks a bunch, John! I don't need or really want the 200/3.5 but somehow I have a weak spot for "odd" lenses like this one and it's 80mm-brother.
I still think a Leitax-converted Apo-Telyt-R 3.4/180 might be the best ticket for an excellent tele-lens of moderate-size. I got my used copy for a decent price (1/4th of a new 70-200/2.8 VR). Rolf (rdst) posted some examples over at the Leica-R-lenses-thread.

jhinkey

Two very similar panos - not sure which I like better so I posted them both below.

Summit of Haleakala on Maui mid-morning with the Big Island (Hawaii) off in the right distance.

200/4 AIS

MarkdV
Total Posts: 1152

Georg, stunning pics of the tram repairs and as usual excellent conversion - The use of the PC 85/2 may have not strictly been necessary, but what's wrong with a bit of playing now and then?

John, I think the panorama No. 1 I prefer in composition, but the build up of the clouds to the right in number 2 is of course more spectacular. However both are your usual excellent work and I hope one day I will come close to work like this. Certainly you are an inspiration to work on creating Panoramas. And to go to Hawaii.

Mike, wonderfully moody shot. Which lens was it with, it's stayed very crisp through the frame?

Oosty
Total Posts: 4209

Laura - great sunset sequence. If you wanted to test the exposure meter on your camera you couldn't have chosen a tougherr task than a black cat on a white rug - I'd need a drink!

Jose - these really are amusing owls - the long legs look out of place on an owl to me! I love the Caracara and the Owl landing. Well done.

Radael - amazing lenses. Great portrait of the boy.

Ray - another winner.

Mike - I like the very moody, eerie image.

Georg - excellent night shots

saph
Total Posts: 3699

Couple with the 50 f2 HC, first to check out bokeh while making coffee. The second is an interesting pumpkin, seemingly covered with peanuts.

Samy

georgms

John, amazing work! My personal favorite is #2 for it's "balance".

Samy, I like the boiling bokeh, it's a bit busy, but fits the subject well.

Mark and Peter, thanks for your comments on the night-shots!

georgms

Two shots with the PC 85/2.8 D:

3 tilted vertical shots merged together

2 degrees of tilt on this one (I think this is halfway proper use of the lens :-)

jhinkey

More from Haleakala here:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/546418/617#lastmessage

John

montym
Total Posts: 4717

MikeW wrote:
Grey, wet & foggy here...

Beautiful shot Mike!

How long was the exposure?

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

georgms wrote:
Thanks for the kind comments on the skull-portrait and the tilted leaves!
Some pictures from this night, taken for a small local paper - the tram here had to replace one of many switches. This kind of action is usually done at night to keep the traffic obstruction down to a minimum.

That's a rather meaningless story and the pictures are nothing special, but I thought I add something completely different to this thread.
Btw, the use of the PC 85/2.8 was just to get a feel for this lens and completely unnecessary.

Georg I find these shots very interesting. Great example of night photography!

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

James Markus wrote:
This little sumac caught my attention...

Beautiful landscape James

Zichar
Total Posts: 3759

Great use of the 85PCE, georg!

>>

Scrubbing off all the mud away with a stiff-bristled brush, was struck by the amazing redness underneath. Brought it to the kitchen window and grabbed the camera

Water chestnuts
45PCE with natural light

seasons (CKC_8550) by Zichar, on Flickr

1       2       3              2011      
       2013              5887       5888       end