Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2008

1       2       3              2008      
       2010              4048       4049       end

JimmyChoo
Total Posts: 312

Leighton, I like your shots of the church. I'm drawn to old
buildings and ancient things. Your Staunton street scene is
striking. Is the steep gradient on that road an optical illusion or is it real?
I'm going to take out my 180mmf2.8ED ais tomorrow, and
hopefully be able to put up some images here next week.
you've given me some incentive. Besides it's new(to me) and
I have not really used it yet.

Thanks for the welcome, Peter. I am already very happy to
have joined at last. Thanks for the warning about spending
money because of you guys here.
Thank you also for sharing your safari pictures. You had me
searching for the lion in the bushes, like one of those trick
pictures with some figure hidden in them.
I learned something at your mention of shadow stripes on the
zebra, by doing a search for this. Now I notice from your
picture the light brown stripes on the zebra which is like a
shadow of the darker black stripes. Thanks.

Rinie, thank you. It is great to join this friendly company of people with a common appreciation of MF Nikkors.

Now, I've caught up with all that writing and have not posted a picture. Here's a couple from a coastal walk some weeks ago on an overcast day.

_D8S9227 by jimmychooshoots, on Flickr
D800 105/2.5 @f5.6 1/640s iso 100

_D8S9228 by jimmychooshoots, on Flickr
D800 105/2.5 @f5.6 1/320s iso 100

Mountws1
Total Posts: 20

Hi folks,

First, I just want to say that this thread is amazing. I've been viewing it in recent weeks/months and the pics/discussion are just wonderful. I've yet to purchase my first MF lens, but it probably won't be too much longer.

I was wondering if you could tell me about the quality of the 50mm 1.4 ai-s? KEH currently has copies for < $200 and I figure I can't beat that price. I'm just wondering if the IQ of the lens is comparable to the more modern AF 1.4g and 1.8g lenses. Thanks so much.

leighton w
Total Posts: 8986

Mountws1 wrote:
Hi folks,

First, I just want to say that this thread is amazing. I've been viewing it in recent weeks/months and the pics/discussion are just wonderful. I've yet to purchase my first MF lens, but it probably won't be too much longer.

I was wondering if you could tell me about the quality of the 50mm 1.4 ai-s? KEH currently has copies for < $200 and I figure I can't beat that price. I'm just wondering if the IQ of the lens is comparable to the more modern AF 1.4g and 1.8g lenses. Thanks so much.

Delighted you have joined us. As you are aware we like knowing who we chat with, so if you could add your first name to your profile it would be great! The 50mm f1.4 AI-s is a fine lens, as is MOST of the MF Nikon lenses.

Here are a couple of must read websites that will help in your quest for knowledge of these lenses.
http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_surv.html#rating

http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html

Oosty
Total Posts: 4011

Jimmy, thank you for your comments on the park shots. Because the bush is so thick and one may not leave the roads one really has to take pot luck - unlike some game lodges where following animals off road is the norm.

Well done on your first posts on the thread - keep them coming.

leighton w
Total Posts: 8986

JimmyChoo wrote:
Leighton, I like your shots of the church. I'm drawn to old
buildings and ancient things. Your Staunton street scene is
striking. Is the steep gradient on that road an optical illusion or is it real?
I'm going to take out my 180mmf2.8ED ais tomorrow, and
hopefully be able to put up some images here next week.
you've given me some incentive. Besides it's new(to me) and
I have not really used it yet.

Jimmy, thanks, the gradient is there but not quite as much as in the image. Glad I could be of service, looking forward to your 180 images.

Oosty
Total Posts: 4011

The only spotted cats we saw were this Cheetah and her two cubs who crossed the road and disappeared into the long grass. Then about 100 metres out she popped up onto a small ride to look around for either food or danger so I grabbed a couple of quick snaps - a bit soft but they give an impression of the central section of the park.

Matt OHarver
Total Posts: 3994

georgms wrote:
Two shots taken today at the local zoo for Matt:

dwarf monkey - taken with the 135/2 Ais

dwarf monkey - taken with the 35/1.4 Ai at f/2 - full frame/no crop on the D700

Have fun with your new lenses!

Thank you! Awesome stuff! Now I wish it were next week!

James Markus
Total Posts: 4368

Dylan, enjoy your time in the darkroom. Time passes slower there than in the rest of the world. I found a link you may be interested in - that has links to enlarger manuals.

http://www.jollinger.com/photo/cam-coll/manuals/manuals.html

I've still got three of them in my darkroom. A few years ago you couldn't give them away. I've sold most of my enlarging lenses except my 50mm Schneider Componon-S - a great enlarging lens.

DTOB wrote:
I came home today with a new purchase. No Nikkors.

What I picked up was a Super Chromega-C on an Omega C67, 2 Schneider Componon lenses (80mm and 105mm, won't use the 105mm, will want to pick up a 50mm) and all the required accessories and chems. All I need is some paper.

No dark room as we live in a small one bedroom, and man this enlarger is HUGE. I don't even know where I'll put it when not in use. I'll be moving the gear in and out of the bathroom each time I want to make prints. One day I'll have a whole room to myself..for now I think I am going to have to get rid of the dining table while the wife is not home just to have a place to put it (not joking here lol).

CGrindahl
Total Posts: 12746

Oosty wrote:

Curtis - is it fair play to practice before Nikki gets to you? Lovely images and bokeh...

I'm saving some special subjects for Nikki. Right now I'm simply enjoying a range of pre-AI lenses. I love all old Nikkors but there is a special charm to the older, all metal lenses. It is all play... something that is good for the soul as well as the body.

Glad to see you on the thread Peter. I really enjoy your contributions.

CGrindahl

JimmyChoo wrote:
MarkdV wrote:
elnj wrote:
My cat Minerva, working on her homework.

55mm 1.2 SC, at f/2.

Eric J.

Lovely shot Eric, wonderful pose. I just think however she would be better off reading "Why good people are divided by cat people and dog people."

This is because cats and dogs think differently and have differing attitudes from each other.

The cat thinks, "You look after me, feed me and care for me love me; I must be your god."
Dogs think, "You look after me, feed me, care for me and love me; you are my god."

Obviously, you've had both dogs and cats in your life. My heart melts for a golden retriever wagging its tail at me AND I love the independence of a cat who will, on occasion, deign to permit me to give it a few rubs. You've said it perfectly.

CGrindahl

vpik01 wrote:
Love the shot of the trio walking along the breakwater. Wonderful colors and excellent composition. Does the D600 have a sensor cleaning system? I use a rocket blower on my D700, though on one occasion I had my local camera technician clean it. He did a great job for fifty bucks.

So many D600 cameras on the thread now. Loving all the fine photos taken with this fine new addition to Nikon's camera lineup.

Thanks Curtis, Leighton, Matt and Peter for your comments on my marina picture! Curtis the D600 comes with a sensor cleaning feature with a identical interface to the one in my D700 but this time I appear to have gotten something beyond its powers, I've also got the rocket blower and will be giving it a try this afternoon. If not then I'll see about getting it done locally. Man I can't wait to have raw support in LR!

Monty reported a short while ago that the upgrade is available. I just checked and although it doesn't specifically list the D600, the message said 23 cameras have been added. You might want to check for updates from within LR. Perhaps you missed Monty's photo of himself in his "I SHOOT RAW" tee shirt. I think you're there.

CGrindahl

georgms wrote:
Two shots taken today at the local zoo for Matt:

dwarf monkey - taken with the 35/1.4 Ai at f/2 - full frame/no crop on the D700

Have fun with your new lenses!

Love this one Georg. A fast lens can do such fascinating things with bokeh and these lines are delicious.

saph
Total Posts: 2251

Last time I looked there were fireworks celebrating the 2000th page for this thread and now that seems ancient history

First image is an interesting trio of birds all foraging for different food.

The second one I happened to look up and caught this sight - the moon visible through that branch, lined up right under that row of leaves.

Got the 180 2.8 AIS finally through its paces. Starting to dig through the pics.

Samy

saph

Three more with the 180 2.8 AIS.

First one has the colors now showing around here, and the next two checking out bokeh and out of focus background at larger apertures.

Samy

saph

Hope these aren't too many in a row, just had too much fun with the 180.

The first one is a leaf that was suspended from a spiderweb. It was spinning so it was a patient wait to catch it turning into the sunbeam.

The next are more play with bokeh and fall color.

Samy

MarkdV
Total Posts: 663

CGrindahl wrote:
vpik01 wrote:
Love the shot of the trio walking along the breakwater. Wonderful colors and excellent composition. Does the D600 have a sensor cleaning system? I use a rocket blower on my D700, though on one occasion I had my local camera technician clean it. He did a great job for fifty bucks.

So many D600 cameras on the thread now. Loving all the fine photos taken with this fine new addition to Nikon's camera lineup.

Thanks Curtis, Leighton, Matt and Peter for your comments on my marina picture! Curtis the D600 comes with a sensor cleaning feature with a identical interface to the one in my D700 but this time I appear to have gotten something beyond its powers, I've also got the rocket blower and will be giving it a try this afternoon. If not then I'll see about getting it done locally. Man I can't wait to have raw support in LR!

Monty reported a short while ago that the upgrade is available. I just checked and although it doesn't specifically list the D600, the message said 23 cameras have been added. You might want to check for updates from within LR. Perhaps you missed Monty's photo of himself in his "I SHOOT RAW" tee shirt. I think you're there.

There is support for the D600 added but it is stated to be only preliminary support so not the 100% final version. Not sure what exactly that means in practice though.

KR,
Mark.

MarkdV
Total Posts: 663

saph wrote:
Hope these aren't too many in a row, just had too much fun with the 180.

The first one is a leaf that was suspended from a spiderweb. It was spinning so it was a patient wait to catch it turning into the sunbeam.

The next are more play with bokeh and fall color.

Samy

Lovely set Samy, the last the best IMO.

DTOB
Total Posts: 1359

James Markus wrote:
Dylan, enjoy your time in the darkroom. Time passes slower there than in the rest of the world. I found a link you may be interested in - that has links to enlarger manuals.

http://www.jollinger.com/photo/cam-coll/manuals/manuals.html

I've still got three of them in my darkroom. A few years ago you couldn't give them away. I've sold most of my enlarging lenses except my 50mm Schneider Componon-S - a great enlarging lens.

DTOB wrote:
I came home today with a new purchase. No Nikkors.

What I picked up was a Super Chromega-C on an Omega C67, 2 Schneider Componon lenses (80mm and 105mm, won't use the 105mm, will want to pick up a 50mm) and all the required accessories and chems. All I need is some paper.

No dark room as we live in a small one bedroom, and man this enlarger is HUGE. I don't even know where I'll put it when not in use. I'll be moving the gear in and out of the bathroom each time I want to make prints. One day I'll have a whole room to myself..for now I think I am going to have to get rid of the dining table while the wife is not home just to have a place to put it (not joking here lol).

Thanks James, that is helpful. I actually have the original quick-setup guide that came with my enlarger, but I just love reading from people with a great amount of experience with the dark side of photography. I pick up most things easily, I hope that will be the case here and I am very excited. It is going to be a long winter up here.

saph

Last one with the 180, for now I didn't realize even the lily pads change color.

For the baby bunny, its back to the 500 F4P + TC 301 combination for 1000mm fl, wide open effective aperture was f8.

Samy

montym
Total Posts: 4701

Payday....
(in the envelopes)

1       2       3              2008      
       2010              4048       4049       end