Manual Focus Nikon Glass
/forum/topic/929565/2008

1       2       3              2008      
       2010              5885       5886       end

vpik01
Total Posts: 640

Ok I go on Vacation for two little weeks and 61 pages have gone by along with more new members to the thread. It might take me a while to read all of that! We've had a great time over the last two weeks with a lot of photos taken. Here's one that I really liked. I call it " The Photographer" Taken with my D7000 and the 16mm 3.5 F8 1/200 This is a down payment on many hours of editing to follow

Ray - is that Cades Cove, in GSMNP? If so I was there in the Spring...gorgeous place I'd love to go back and explore more.

Nancy - those Kodachrome's of the 91 Olympics/Championship gymnastics are stellar. Front page material in my opinion! A 300/2?!? Wow, I'm ignorant on the really long glass, that sounds amazing though. Love the kodachrome look.

Fred - your gull is perfectly silhouetted, nice color too!

Leighton - Don't worry, the D600 has been busy... those F3HP shots are from back in May! Actually the D600 shot a christening and an engagement session last weekend but all with AF glass... I've been trying out different combo's for my location based portrait sessions. I don't do them a whole lot and I want to decide if I still need my AF 80-200/2.8, AF 105/2, AF 180/2.8 (I found it), AI-s 180/2.8 and AI-s 105/2.5... kind of a lot of overlap here. Don't worry though, the AI-s glass isn't on the chopping block. The 105/2 and 80-200 might be though, we'll see.

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

Terrific shots nancy and welcome to our thread.
Thank you all very much for the kind words about my photo. Yes Tony it was taken in Cades Cove and Leighton I picked this photo for my first post because it required so little post work. It is very close to straight out of the camera

waysaz
Total Posts: 110

Foggy14 wrote:
Here's a quick one from a nice sunset tonight.

You fared better than I did!

waysaz
Total Posts: 110

Zichar wrote:
Wow, those are simply amazing Nancy
Plus I remember the '91 championships from my childhood; ah Vitaly Scherbo
You didn't hang on to that 300 f/2?

Thanks, Chin. Scherbo's a bit bigger now. 300/2 was a loaner. It was worth more than I made in a year!

vpik01 wrote:
Nancy - those Kodachrome's of the 91 Olympics/Championship gymnastics are stellar. Front page material in my opinion! A 300/2?!? Wow, I'm ignorant on the really long glass, that sounds amazing though. Love the kodachrome look.

Yup, 300/2. More info on this legend here and here. It was a real beast, made a 400/2.8 feel light. Nikon (and those other guys) usually provides a loan service at big sports events, but this was the only time I met that lens. We all complained about the weight and poor balance, but I doubt anyone complained about the pictures. Really, it was just like a massive 300/2.8, but with the all-important extra stop. Vault in color! Indy was lousy with 300/2s that week, btw; Roberts had one for sale and Dave Black bought it.

Roberto, actually I don't have that many from the 300 - I got two turns with it (everyone wanted to play) and most of my pics still live at the gym magazine I worked for. I kept some favorites when I left and that was among them.

Thanks, Leighton and Ray. Jose and Jeff, thanks; nice to meet some film-grain fans. My favorite was TMZ at 1600.

Peter and others, you're preaching to the choir on the Kodachrome. Wonderful stuff, plus it went red/magenta when pushed, perfect for blue/green indoor lighting. Before that, one had to filter (cutting even more light) or put up with the color cast to shoot chrome (needed for magazines). Later, Kodak "fixed" the red thing, and indeed it was a little cooler. D'oh! Who besides sports shooters pushes this stuff?!

Yes, Mihai, I have some Romanians too, of course. Maybe in the next batch.

Mark, I'm afraid I sold the 200. Not much use for it in "normal" life. My only big pro lens is the 400/3.5 I picked up a few years ago.

Thanks, Chuong. The first one's my favorite too (one of my favorite gymnasts, though she'd always break your heart).

stedge wrote:
Nancy,

That's some super work. Did you prefocus on certain points to get those? In your experience, what is the best way to get fast-moving subjects - especially when that movement is irregular - with a manual focus lens (assuming some shallow dof)? For example, I cannot imagine having any luck shooting soccer with manual focus, unless I was just picking a spot and shooting whatever went through it. You have to know the sport, too.

Just great to be able to get those shots, well done.

Eric

Thanks, Eric. Gym is my sport, and the motion tends to be at a steady pace, unlike team sports. MF is also easier with fast long glass - the image "pops" into focus. In many cases, I knew the routines, and could plan ahead. For the vault, I'd prefocus and fire once. The bars shot was focus once and shoot until they kick me out of the spot (they didn't). Just 1/250th, so I knew I wouldn't get many, but the angle was unusual enough to make it worth the try.

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 9300

Thanks everyone, for the congrats. Not sure how long it'll last, but it's something to get my mind back to semi normal.

Welcome to the new folks, you are already showing some stunning shots!

Still working on the last of the Nikki shots, timed the arrival at Monty's house so he doesn't have to either dash back to work, nor worry about anyone being at home for the delivery

NightOwl Cat

Ok, I'm fighting the pull of the D800 or D600. You guys aren't making it any easier. I'll have to look around the house for things to sell though, time to start clearing out some of my unused items while I can

rankamateur
Total Posts: 877

Just a couple shots from the daily walk. I have not used the 50 1.2 AI at all since getting it so on the camera it went. The green orb we call hedge apple's. I tried it at 1.2 and the photo was surreal with the top half inch of it in focus. At any rate I learned why everyone loves these lenses.

asiostygius
Total Posts: 3287

leighton w wrote:
MDoc9523 wrote:
Ok I go on Vacation for two little weeks and 61 pages have gone by along with more new members to the thread. It might take me a while to read all of that! We've had a great time over the last two weeks with a lot of photos taken. Here's one that I really liked. I call it " The Photographer" Taken with my D7000 and the 16mm 3.5 F8 1/200 This is a down payment on many hours of editing to follow

Welcome home Ray! We missed you. Can't wait to see more from your trip. This one is very very nice, I LOVE the processing you did on it.

+1
I overlooked this one, really great scenario, composition and PP. Well done.

asiostygius

Ron, liked the 50/1.2 Ai shots. Keep them coming.

NightOwl Cat

Making my way through processing, after spending hours looking at excel spreadsheets and figuring out terminology...

This is a shot from Monday's sunset. I was driving to the cemetery, and above me were gray skies, but off in the horizon, I could see an orange tint, and the sun was setting. I parked the car at the cemetery, looked out the window, and the sun was directly behind this tree.

Although it's the same trees, the clouds and the sun were the stars of these shots. Here's a sampling of what I saw

asiostygius

Continuing with one more shot from my last trip.
A couple of the Burrowing Owl at a Brazilian savannah (cerrado) preserve - Ecological Station of Itirapina.
A storm is arriving from behind the couple, and their burrow is just below the dead tree trunk.

Burrowing Owl couple with Nikkor 400mm f/5.6 AI EDIF by labecoaves, on Flickr

D7000 + Nikkor 400mm f/5.6 AI (narrow collar) EDIF, hand held, ISO 800, f/8 at 1/640s, ~25% cropped.
The male is supposed to be the smaller and "serious guy" (above right), since in owls there is a reversed sexual size dimorphism.

asiostygius

WOW Laura, spetacular sunset sequence!
Beautiful colours and composition.
Which lens? 85/2?

NightOwl Cat

Taz is such a hard cat to photograph, since she's just about all black, with a few white hairs sprinkled in around her neck, and that no matter how hard you try to catch her with her eyes open, she'll shut them as soon as the shutter clicks, more often than not.

NightOwl Cat

Thanks Jose, it was spellbinding, for sure, to witness it. These are with Nikki

asiostygius wrote:
WOW Laura, spetacular sunset sequence!
Beautiful colours and composition.
Which lens? 85/2?

rankamateur
Total Posts: 877

asiostygius wrote:
Continuing with one more shot from my last trip.
A couple of the Burrowing Owl at a Brazilian savannah (cerrado) preserve - Ecological Station of Itirapina.
A storm is arriving from behind the couple, and their burrow is just below the dead tree trunk.

Burrowing Owl couple with Nikkor 400mm f/5.6 AI EDIF by labecoaves, on Flickr

D7000 + Nikkor 400mm f/5.6 AI (narrow collar) EDIF, hand held, ISO 800, f/8 at 1/640s, ~25% cropped.
The male is supposed to be the smaller and "serious guy" (above right), since in owls there is a reversed sexual size dimorphism.

Love these owls. Never see them only hear them! Great shot

raboof
Total Posts: 2094

Ron, congrats on the new lenses! Nice!

raboof
Total Posts: 2094

Awesome owls shot, Jose!

NightOwl Cat

Something green and yellow for Leighton

MDoc9523
Total Posts: 5115

Ron nice work with the 50mm
Laura the skies are just beautiful. Such color!
Jose I just love the Owl shot, perfection and I love the perfect pose!

rafaelcasd
Total Posts: 2483

Laura, great sunsets with one of my favorite lenses.
Jose, your 400mm needs a vacation in San Diego, great shot of the owls.

Finally got around to checking my new acquisition: the 5.8cm 1.4. This is purely a historical buy, could not resist the combination of price an condition with original filter and shade. To celebrate most of my 'normal' lenses attended a party:
50mm 2.0, 5.8 cm 1,4, 50mm 1.4 SC, 55mm 1.2 ai, 55 mm 1.2 s and 50mm 1.2 ais.

nikon nikkor normal lenses with filters and shades by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Then they took the hats off

nikon nikkor normal lenses by Rafael CA, on Flickr

And mingled

nkon nikkor normal lenses coatings front by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor normal lenses front coatings by Rafael CA, on Flickr

1       2       3              2008      
       2010              5885       5886       end