/forum/topic/926319/1

3              8       9       end

Anden
Total Posts: 6512

Two more. Fall is here.

Krosavcheg
Total Posts: 2715

Anden: Grymt! (Great shots!)
You make me want to pick up one. I actually found few for acceptable price. Just wait for some financial aid..

Anden

It is the lens I have been wanting in order to round of my landscape kit. It is now 4-5 lenses strong. Mostly Zeiss.
It is hard to find at a reasonable price but if you do, go for it. I was actually eyeing at the Canon 70-200 4L IS but I realized I want the Zeiss pop!

A

Krosavcheg

I tested 70-200/2.8L (non-is) and wasn't impressed with it for a moment. It is said that f4L IS is sharpest in the bunch, but I am yet to test it...

The 100-300 I find on the auctions here in the region of 500 euro, so I assume it is acceptable. Some shops will sell even cheaper, so I hope for around 200-300 (not impossible)...

Anden

Krosavcheg wrote:
I tested 70-200/2.8L (non-is) and wasn't impressed with it for a moment. It is said that f4L IS is sharpest in the bunch, but I am yet to test it...

The 100-300 I find on the auctions here in the region of 500 euro, so I assume it is acceptable. Some shops will sell even cheaper, so I hope for around 200-300 (not impossible)...

500 Euros is a great price given the lens is in good condition.

A

denoir
Total Posts: 4212

Nice shots Andreas

I would love to be tempted by that lens.. but I have a 70-200 f/2.8 IS II that is very very good. It's definitely one of the best Canon lenses in terms of colors and micro contrast plus constant f/2.8, AF and optical stabilization is difficult to beat.. It is also absurdly sharp - as sharp as a good tele prime.

No, it's not definitely not a Zeiss but it does have a nice 'pop' of its own:

I would of course love to be able to replace the glass inside the lens for Zeiss glass and keep the rest..

So anyway, I don't think the Contax 100-300 is for me. I want AF on a long zoom. I want IS and I want a large and constant maximum aperture.

Anden

It sure is a great lens but I canīt justify the price. I rarely shoot AF at all nowadays. The last AF lens that was mounted on my camera was the 85L and I shot in MF anyway :-)

I will bring the 100-300 to Stockholm next time I visit and you can try it...

Lovely frames! I really like the wild life shots.

A

AhamB
Total Posts: 5030

Anden wrote:
Krosavcheg wrote:

500 Euros is a great price given the lens is in good condition.

On ebay it seems be in the range 650-750 euros...

By the way, I think my Mamiya 645 200/2.8 APO (at 400 euros) will beat that Canon in corner sharpness and absence of vignetting, at least in that shot with the giraffes.

denoir

Thanks Andreas I like AF on longer lenses and IS is typically a good things as well.

It's a deal and you can try the Canon.

Benjamin: I've never used the Mamiya so I wouldn't know. The sharpness is pretty constant across the frame though.

helimat
Total Posts: 3745

Anden wrote:

Nice!

helimat
Total Posts: 3745

Also very nice!

Krosavcheg

Unreal shots.
Well, I need to test MkII one then.. Though, the price tag is not its most attractive feature.

Z250SA
Total Posts: 642

Yes, the giraffs are very nice. But all colour is so Canon: flat. IIRC there are dedicated formus for inferior stuff. Pleace keep the Canon trash out of this thread!

Anden

denoir wrote:
Thanks Andreas I like AF on longer lenses and IS is typically a good things as well.

It's a deal and you can try the Canon.

Benjamin: I've never used the Mamiya so I wouldn't know. The sharpness is pretty constant across the frame though.

Sound great. I will let you know the next time I am in Stockholm. BTW. If you are at Stureplan you can see my work on the large screen on the building next to Spy Bar. They show every five minutes or so.

A

Anden

helimat wrote:
Anden wrote:

Nice!

Thanks! The 3D and sharpness are very good with this lens. As expected. I will try to fill this thread with samples since there are not alot to be found on the web.

A

Anden

Z250SA wrote:
Yes, the giraffs are very nice. But all colour is so Canon: flat. IIRC there are dedicated formus for inferior stuff. Pleace keep the Canon trash out of this thread!

Oh behave will ya!

AhamB

denoir wrote:

Maybe I'm confusing "swirl" in the foreground bokeh with unsharpness in the lower corners. The swirl is there in the 100L macro too. I don't like it.

Anden

AhamB wrote:
denoir wrote:

Maybe I'm confusing "swirl" in the foreground bokeh with unsharpness in the lower corners. The swirl is there in the 100L macro too. I don't like it.

To me it looks as the corners are oof and thus unsharp.

A

AhamB

Thanks Capt. Obvious. I'm talking about smearing in tangential direction.

denoir

Anden wrote:
Stureplan you can see my work on the large screen on the building next to Spy Bar. They show every five minutes or so.

I'm impressed! I'll make a point of looking it up - how long are they showing it? How did it happen?

Z250SA wrote:

Hehe, yes, it's not quite Zeiss, I know.

AhamB wrote:
denoir wrote:

Could be. The bokeh isn't all that great at all distances. It ranges from very good to mediocre.

3              8       9       end