Leica M/X/T Picture Thread
/forum/topic/920070/632

1       2       3              632      
       634              1041       1042       end

zhangyue
Total Posts: 2762

cuonghuutran wrote:
Zhangyue, nice shots. What 21mm lens is this?

Hi, thanks. 21 biogon 2.8.
A nice lens suit my need without break bank

rscheffler
Total Posts: 4919

rscheffler wrote:
As for changing lenses... not sure exactly what you mean? I.e., because it's cold?

zhangyue wrote:
Ron, yes, I mean change lens in cold, even not in cold, I feel awkward changing lens How you guys clean your sensor? That is why I like the idea of have either a 50 or 35mm fixed on M for most of view with another small body with a zoom to secure the shots as needed. Thanks for post the environment shots of that art piece, there is no way I can fugue it out. it looks smaller than I thought. I agree your earlier set are more impressive.

joe88 wrote:
Ron, thanks for sharing with us on the art installation and your shooting process.
I was about to ask the same question about switching lenses so often, not only in the cold. Also aren't you worried about having dust on the sensor since you seem to change lenses so often? Lenses uncapped both ends?

On another note, I received my 28Cron back from DAG last week. Took Don just over a week to collimate it back to spec and code my 90 Tele-E.

Joe, curious why you sent it to Don rather than Leica? I guess he's less expensive? And you did get very fast turnaround too.

Changing lenses: I guess not researching a lot on LUF or RFF and not working for years with film RFs, I didn't have an informed RF background when I jumped into the M9 system as a partial proxy for DSLRs, which morphed into a hybrid workflow that retained some of my SLR habits, including frequent lens changes. To me this is completely normal behaviour.

My right middle finger practically rests on the lens release button when holding the M9. It's become quite instinctual and easy to jab that button and twist the lens off, deposit the lens in its compartment in the satchel and pull out another one... No, I don't typically cap lenses while working as it really slows things down. This is also my habit with SLR lenses. Perhaps it's an aspect of my work background where sometimes speed is essential. When the weather is bad and if I have time and am dealing with more gear than usual, such as the recent 21mm lens review, then I will cap at least the rear. The way the internal pockets are designed in the CourierWare satchel I use (it's the mini, the smallest one they make), they're sewn to the inside side of the bag, but when something bulky such as a lens is in a pocket, the bottom of the pocket ends about an inch above the bottom of the bag. The lens is kind of suspended from the side of the bag and not resting on the bag bottom. I place the lens either front down because the hood will provide sufficient protection for the front element, or sideways. I try to avoid placing them bottom down, as pretty much all the wide angle lenses have rear elements that extend beyond the lens mount. The only catch to this system is the pockets are not padded, therefore I try to avoid running to prevent items bumping around inside the bag. But because the CourierWare guys allow a fair amount of customization when you place an order, I believe they might now be able to offer some thin pocket padding for an additional charge. BTW, CourierWare is the company that makes the Bare Bones Bag. I found this review quite helpful. Though it's for a much larger bag, much of the concept translates to the smaller bags and M series equipment.

As for dust... yes, it's a problem. The day after the snow photos I posted here, we went back again and I shot a bunch at f/16 (for the depth of field) and was quite surprised to see just how much dust was on the sensor! But even with 21mm lenses, if shooting at f/8 and wider, the dust often is not that noticeable. If it's an infinity landscape, then even f/5.6 is enough and dust will be even less noticeable. Or, just get a few Lux and Cron lenses and only shoot wide open.

So far for cleaning I've only tried dry methods, but have noticed whenever the camera went back to Leica (either NJ or Germany), that they'd do a wet cleaning (because there would always be a touch of swabbing residue). For dry cleaning I use a blower bulb along with a sensor pen. I recently also picked up one of those silicon stampers, but haven't yet tried it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019K8YVM
This was based on the sensor cleaning tips over at Lensrentals.

douglasf13
Total Posts: 6045

Don does fantastic work, but I'd say Joe was pretty lucky with his turnaround. Don is kind of legendary bad about turn around time and communication, which I didn't know when I sent a lens to him that he said would be done in 2 weeks, and it took nearly two months, and he didn't answer my emails until right before sending my lens back. I'm not sure I'd send him something that you need fixed in a hurry.

wstan
Total Posts: 51

My first post ever in this forum

Let's see if I could do the upload correctly - taken with M9;

wstan

Two more from M9;

joe88
Total Posts: 2228

Thanks Michael and more excellent shots with the ZM21B.

Winston, welcome to the thread. Very nice set, Love the mood and composition on #2.

edwardkaraa wrote:
Anyhow, I still find a well calibrated RF to be much faster and practical than live view, except for tripod work.

I agree, the current EVFs can't replace a window finder, especially where you don't miss the moment at exposure with the rangefinders. I like the idea of a RX1 as a pocket cam, all in one with video and AF, plus the entire RX1 kit cost almost as much as a 35Cron ASPH. Sometimes I rather not take the M9 out depending where I am shooting. As for the RX1 EVF, I was shooting with it this afternoon in bright sunlight and even with the eye cup pressed tight to my eyeglasses, it flared internally with two bright "balls" inside and it was very distracting.

I like Ricoh cameras. Had a GRDIV, sold it and will probably buy another at some point. Secretly hoping that Ricoh will release a new one with a 1" or APS sensor. Did you keep the GXR?

rscheffler wrote:
Joe, curious why you sent it to Don rather than Leica? I guess he's less expensive? And you did get very fast turnaround too.

Faster and cheaper The coding is top notch quality and each time I call, Don picks up the phone (if you can reach him, I just kept trying for over an hour) and you have access to his vast knowledge. I think DAG has a pretty loyal and continuous stream of work from regulars. When I called, Don mentioned that for urgent request, he would try to fulfill the work within the same week but I think you need to call him to follow up rather than email. Not sure if its good etiquette to post prices but I would guess with Leica NJ its probably 2 to 3x more expensive and they can never promise how long it takes. Although I must say that each time I sent something NJ in the past, I have never been disappointed, other than having to wait.

Thanks for sharing your lens changing methods, good to know. Being an amateur, I guess I have always been overly conservative with handling gear especially with Leica .. Dust is always an issue for me as I normally shoot at f/8 or f/11 with infinity always in focus Leica does a great job with cleaning but then it will be at least 2 weeks without a camera.

I have a Bare Bones bag as well. Probably an older version. They are very nice, somewhat water resistant and hold a ton of gear without bulk. Lack of padding is not an issue for me, just worried about sensor dust.

joe88
Total Posts: 2228

douglasf13 wrote:
... but I'd say Joe was pretty lucky with his turnaround. Don is kind of legendary bad about turn around time and communication ...

I must have been lucky

edwardkaraa
Total Posts: 7438

joe88 wrote:

edwardkaraa wrote:
Anyhow, I still find a well calibrated RF to be much faster and practical than live view, except for tripod work.

I agree, the current EVFs can't replace a window finder, especially where you don't miss the moment at exposure with the rangefinders. I like the idea of a RX1 as a pocket cam, all in one with video and AF, plus the entire RX1 kit cost almost as much as a 35Cron ASPH. Sometimes I rather not take the M9 out depending where I am shooting. As for the RX1 EVF, I was shooting with it this afternoon in bright sunlight and even with the eye cup pressed tight to my eyeglasses, it flared internally with two bright "balls" inside and it was very distracting.

I like Ricoh cameras. Had a GRDIV, sold it and will probably buy another at some point. Secretly hoping that Ricoh will release a new one with a 1" or APS sensor. Did you keep the GXR?

Joe, I fully understand about the RX1, I was myself tempted to get one, but the price gets me 2-3 ZM lenses

Unfortunately I didn't keep the GXR, I'm like one camera kind of person I do miss certain aspects, but I can't live with crop sensors. My kind of large ZM 18 becomes a 27. Otherwise if Ricoh makes a FF version, I am almost sure I would get one. Everything was so nicely implemented, I think it had the smartest features in any camera I have used.

edwardkaraa

From last night, ZM 35/2:

Gary Clennan
Total Posts: 4987

Nice one Edward!

A few from some fun yesterday in the snow.... With 35cron.

wstan

Nice images, guys

One more from my favorite combo (M9 and 28 Elmarit ASPH)

comments and critics are welcome

rscheffler
Total Posts: 4919

Nice work Winston, and welcome to the thread!
Looks like it definitely was fun, Gary!
Good one Edward!

Joe, there may be some hope for a GRD in 2013... (sorry for the OT):

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20130201_585986.html

From the above link:

edwardkaraa

Thank you Gary, Ron!

Nice photos Winston, and welcome to this thread! The last shot is my favourite.

Gary, yeah, that looks like really fun. And you nailed the focus too Last shot is very nice, great warm colors.

wstan

Thank you, Joe, rscheffler, and Edward

wstam
Total Posts: 72

Hi Winston, welcome. Very good photos that you have. I am sure you have more to share.

Our nick names are very close. Geographically we are close too

wstan

wstam wrote:
Hi Winston, welcome. Very good photos that you have. I am sure you have more to share.

Our nick names are very close. Geographically we are close too

Hahaha for a moment I thought there was something wrong with my eyes! Thanks for the kind words.

Well I have just been using Leica for a bit over a year, and I'm still learning so I'd keep posting, for sure

joakim
Total Posts: 1493

A lot of great photos in the last pages as usual.

Here are four with a tree theme (sort of) from today. All with the 50 Lux.

Gary Clennan
Total Posts: 4987

That last one is really neat Joakim! Those leaves on the trunk look like they are magically suspended or something...

edwardkaraa

Gary Clennan wrote:
That last one is really neat Joakim! Those leaves on the trunk look like they are magically suspended or something...

+1

edwardkaraa

From last night. Italian dinner with the ZM 35/2 wide open:

1       2       3              632      
       634              1041       1042       end