C/Y Zeiss Image Post
/forum/topic/891645/54

1       2       3              54      
       56       end

rico
Total Posts: 3678

wfrank wrote:
I wonder what that silver-black thing is, nice product shot regardless rico.

Just to keep the stream up, CY 100/2 on 5D2

Always nice b/g blur with the P100! With FMer John Black (Pebble Place) selling his copy, that seems leave just us two with this classic C/Y. Most everybody is being seduced by Z* modernity. Did you shave the fin?

The object above is the Toughbook CF-29 laptop by Panasonic, and top of the line for ruggedness. Being MIL-SPEC, it sees a lot of use in heavy industry, law enforcement and, of course, the military. It passes various drop tests, although I haven't performed those tests on our office copy. Besides the serious grade of construction and weight (made in Japan), I find the exterior design very elegant.

Grenache
Total Posts: 1796

Nope...I have one too and will never let it go. Just love its rendering for shooting anything. I appear to have posted these only in the Alt Thread 3 and not the CY thread...

2/100 MMJ: Golden Gate Bridge and the mountains of Whistler, British Columbia

Jim

Arch of the sun by Only_to_be_kind, on Flickr

Sharp eyes peeled by Only_to_be_kind, on Flickr

Blue cove by Only_to_be_kind, on Flickr

Shrug by Only_to_be_kind, on Flickr

The Rise by Only_to_be_kind, on Flickr

One day... by Only_to_be_kind, on Flickr

Rolling hills by Only_to_be_kind, on Flickr

wayne seltzer
Total Posts: 3970

I also use my copy of the 100/2 planar a lot and will never sell it.
But I am still looking for a s 100/4 planar with bellows.
They see to be very rare.

rico

Awesome stuff, Jim! GGB (#1) is right up P100 alley with its complete lack of linear distortion. Okay, I don't feel so lonely now. Wayne, the SP100 is blisteringly sharp: even at f/11, the 1Ds was color aliasing like crazy on that laptop's glittering surface. Yes, the lens is very scarce right now - nothing on eBay for the last year. Contax bellows (T/S capability) are going cheaply on KEH, so you might scoop one up in preparation for the eventual SP100 arrival.

wfrank
Total Posts: 2739

Why would we ever sell such gems? Before we die we will use these lenses on some versatile mirrorless FF body, all magic kept. And we CAN stope down mechanically - if we so should choose :-)

Really great stuff Jim. I fell for the isolated lone tree second last. Not many lenses can do that!

IMG_9374 1280 by Wilhelm Frank - Stockholm, on Flickr

IMG_9388 1280 by Wilhelm Frank - Stockholm, on Flickr

Toothwalker
Total Posts: 1240

rico wrote:
Awesome stuff, Jim! GGB (#1) is right up P100 alley with its complete lack of linear distortion. Okay, I don't feel so lonely now. Wayne, the SP100 is blisteringly sharp: even at f/11, the 1Ds was color aliasing like crazy on that laptop's glittering surface. Yes, the lens is very scarce right now - nothing on eBay for the last year. Contax bellows (T/S capability) are going cheaply on KEH, so you might scoop one up in preparation for the eventual SP100 arrival.

Here is one for bellows, but without bellows. And here is one with bellows.

Concerning the P100, I still have it. It was my favorite lens in the Contax times, but now I have the MP100 and the main reason to use the P100 is a sentimental one. The new lens is simply better where it matters most, i.e. the plane of focus, and virtually identical elsewhere. I am still fond of the P100 and will not sell it. I suppose the shaved fin puts pressure on the price anyway.

rico

Toothwalker wrote:
... is one for bellows, but without bellows. And ... is one with bellows.

Thanks for the links, but note those Continental prices. I can see similar, implausible asking prices from the US eBay site: $2000, $3000, and (my favorite) $6000! Mine was under $700, and $1000 is a realistic ceiling IMO. Beyond that, just get the CZ S-Planar 135/5.6 in Hassy mount which is a medium-format clone. SP100 and SP135 have remarkably similar MTF and low linear distortion at their respective optimized distances (1:4 and 1:5). As a bellows lens, the SP135 will adapt to anything and has lots of coverage for movements on 135 format. A copy on KEH (Ex) is going for less than $300, which is ridiculously cheap. Should buy it for myself.

Cadaver
Total Posts: 404

I have a question for anyone who uses a Zeiss 50mm 1.7 planar. At what aperture do you achieve the sharpest photos?

rico

Alright, who bought the SP135 off KEH?

Grenache

Thanks, Rico and Wfrank!

Cadaver, I used to have a 1.7/50, and it was gloriously sharp wide open in focal plane and with proper focus. I shot mostly at f/2 as the wild background was less so there. f/4 was so sharp that I had to be careful what I shot with it (ie, people's faces looked like bumpy roads with the detail it rendered.)

Here is an example at f/2. Note the eyelashes.

Jim

Contax_50_sample by Only_to_be_kind, on Flickr

This one is f/1.7...see the difference in overall sharpness of focal plane in that small change from 1.7->2? For whatever reason, background is less wild when wide open and focusing at least 10 or so feet away.

End of Summer by Only_to_be_kind, on Flickr

Cadaver
Total Posts: 404

Jim, Thanks for the reply. Sounds like there's some serious sharpness at f4. Just got this lens and the manual focusing brings back memories of my film days. It will be fun getting aquainted with this Zeiss. Hey, there's some excellent detail in those photos you posted with the 100mm f/2!

Grenache

Thanks.

Resolving power of the 2/100 is incredible. Should I tell you that none of the mountain shots were shot smaller than f/5.6, and that most were at f/4?

Lesser lenses can not produce that detail or sharpness at f/11 or f/16.

Jim

Grenache

GGB in shadow. 2/100
Jim

First Impressions by Only_to_be_kind, on Flickr

Tri Tran
Total Posts: 4940

Zeiss 85mm

Zeiss 85mm Lotus Waterlily 301 by Anh Tri, on Flickr

Zeiss 85mm Lotus Waterlily 300 by Anh Tri, on Flickr

Zeiss 85mm Lotus Waterlily 298 by Anh Tri, on Flickr

Grenache

Stitch with 1.4/50, f/5.6 I think.
Jim

Muir Point by Only_to_be_kind, on Flickr

AhamB
Total Posts: 4861

^Nice, but I think you should have straightened the horizon. I feel like I'm falling over when looking at it.

Rich M
Total Posts: 240

A few shots with the Contax 100-300mm......all at @ 275mm, wide open.

R

AhamB
Total Posts: 4861

Nice shots with the 100-300, but I think you've been a bit too enthusiastic with highlight recovery in the last shot (highlights turned grey where they should be white).

LeadyGonzales
Total Posts: 422

300mm 4.0 Tele Tessar C/Y on 5D Mark II open, stitches:

- L.

Rich M
Total Posts: 240

AhamB wrote:
Nice shots with the 100-300, but I think you've been a bit too enthusiastic with highlight recovery in the last shot (highlights turned grey where they should be white).

I guess I might agree with you if I saw that shot too.......but there was no highlight recovery involved in the PP.

It was just a very grey and overcast day with the sun occasionally popping out.

Cheers.....R

1       2       3              54      
       56       end