Black & White (89 Images)
/forum/topic/891396/7

1       2       3              7      
       9       end

maxwell1295
Total Posts: 6338

Ixania wrote:i mostly asked questions. and i'm shure you are so familiar with the history of photography that you know, these questions are originally from henry cartier-bresson :-)

I'm pretty shure you spelled "sure" wrong.....unless you have a turntable laying around somewhere. If so, please disregard.

(that was for you, grits)

ksmahgrts
Total Posts: 5684

maxwell1295 wrote:
(that was for you, grits)

*curtsy*

canonet
Total Posts: 1065

Awesome series, Evan. Nice to see film back in full effect. From seeing the scans (what did you scan these with?) they pass muster now. Film has a different look and can work as it is now.

NikonAndy
Total Posts: 1891

Evan Baines wrote:

These images were developed in Ilford DD-X.

Forgive my lack of film knowledge. How/where do you develop film? I'm shooting some and my labs around Seattle kinda suck. I'm looking for a developer that can correct some of my crappy exposures. I'm shooting all manual with no light meter...sooo

Any ideas?

ksmahgrts

NikonAndy wrote:

Any ideas?

yup. buy a light meter.

Evan Baines
Total Posts: 5468

Thank you all for the comments!

Andy: I use a local pro lab in my area called Chromatics, although sometimes I develop my own B&W film at home, which isn't terribly difficult.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rROBVLNEb3M

In addition to Grits' pithy advice.... As far as your exposures, if you're shooting B&W, its generally better to err on the side of over-exposure. If you are in a really questionable situation, you MIGHT get some benefit out of finding a skilled darkroom technician who can develop by inspection. This is very hard to do in smaller formats, but still possible with a very skilled tech. With development by inspection, the technician develops the film incrementally, observing the progress of the negative with a faint green light.

Hope this helps.

DB
Total Posts: 4849

Evan Baines wrote:

Andy: I use a local pro lab in my area called Chromatics, although sometimes I develop my own B&W film at home, which isn't terribly difficult.

In addition to Grits' pithy advice.... As far as your exposures, if you're shooting B&W, its generally better to err on the side of over-exposure. If you are in a really questionable situation, you MIGHT get some benefit out of finding a skilled darkroom technician who can develop by inspection. This is very hard to do in smaller formats, but still possible with a very skilled tech. With development by inspection, the technician develops the film incrementally, observing the progress of the negative with a faint green light.

Hope this helps.

Ok, that's it. that's my favorite right there. LOVE it.

ksmahgrts

Evan Baines wrote:

In addition to Grits' pithy advice....

i love it when you use big words.

jambajuice
Total Posts: 146

WOW! You're right about the black-and-white. Amazing!

Did people give you funny looks when you were swapping out the film and not checking the "lack of viewfinder" on the back of the camera?...

NikonAndy

Evan Baines wrote:

Hope this helps.

Definitely helps, thanks. Great video btw

NikonAndy

ksmahgrts wrote:
NikonAndy wrote:

Any ideas?

yup. buy a light meter.

Thank you Captian Obvious

ScaryFox
Total Posts: 25277

I didn't want this series to finish...... Superb work.

pentool
Total Posts: 694

b&w is timeless.. love it.. especially film.

maxwell1295
Total Posts: 6338

<-----Glad this was bumped

Ziffl3
Total Posts: 3944

it would be cool to create a stickie with 5-10 weddings as examples..... ( maybe a recap the best of year....)
but also use as a tool for noobs and gray refreshers for the rest.

just thinking out loud on Maxwell's happiness....

cramercl
Total Posts: 446

Big...BIG fan here! LOVE this series...simply stunning work!!

nowandthen
Total Posts: 56

Very nice.

Mr.Burns
Total Posts: 675

Evan Baines wrote:
With development by inspection, the technician develops the film incrementally, observing the progress of the negative with a faint green light.

Found this thread reading this thread http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/926138

Evan's comment on "development by inspection" brought back memories of MANY hours in the darkroom.

My photography "career" began almost 40 years ago with a Canon A-1 and FD lenses. (Those are non-auto-focus lenses for you youngsters) And 80-90% was B&W and all the B&W self developed. Still have the A-1 as well as all the darkroom equipment. Also have my Yashica Twin Lens 2.

Seeing Evan's set makes we want to find a 1v or a 1n so I can use all these L lenses I've been collecting lately.

Thanks Evan for showing how timeless film is. And with all the comments here showing that as far as digital has come, it has not completely replaced film..... yet! And thanks Sam, for your part in enabling Evan's experiment.

Now, back to Sam's post.

-Mickey

1       2       3              7      
       9       end