Houston, The Einstein has landed
/forum/topic/886861/5

1       2       3              5      
       end

Paul Buff
Total Posts: 2775

Kacey wrote:
Paul Buff wrote:
I don't compete with Profoto and have nothing against them. We serve different markets Just pointing out some engineering observations in response to comments about AB vs Profoto: Read AB sucks, Profoto is God like. I didn't say they were doing things incorrectly.

I don't understand this.... Isn't this why you developed a higher quality strobe?
What market do you see PCB products competing with? Ebay importers?
I can say one thing Paul. You may not be Einstein, but you are a marketing genius IMO

Let me clarify: We make no attempt to convince the 2% of the marketplace that mostly rent their lights because they can't afford to buy them that our products are an apple for apple comparison. That's like a guy that rents a Rolls and chauffeur so he can look important telling the people that drive Toyotas they ought to rent a Rolls to improve their image. I just bought a new Hyundai Geniuses Track coupe for $30,000 and, according to the auto experts and myself, it runs circles around an XKE or Lexus couple in performance, handling, reliability and customer service. And I can afford to own 10 Ferraris if my goal is to impress the upper social crust.

We try to bring the innovative features and performance that real world photographers want at a price they can afford. In the case of Einstein, show me a uber expensive monolight that can come within a mile of what Einstein/Cyber Commander can do in terms of performance, control, customer service and reliability, whether in the hands of a top pro or a casual newcomer, and I'll point you to a nice bridge in Brooklyn you can buy for $10.

As for competing with Ebay lights, uhh duh, I think you have thing a bit reversed.

I know . . . Paul Buff is an arrogant egocentric and general idiot who doesn't have a clue, and our current Congress and administration are real geniuses.

Savas K
Total Posts: 4253

I waffled on getting in on the AB / Einstein upgrade path and lost out. Now I will need to order my Einsteins and have no lights to practice with while I wait my turn to get shipped. All the waffling was about running figures on what PCB modifiers I should or should not get, while adding in other accessories so that my total nut was feasible.

adamdewilde
Total Posts: 3795

Deezie - Fair enough, though I own Profoto lights, and I've often though about this myself. The efficiency and effectiveness of the so called focusability of Profoto's mount. Don't get me wrong, I love the carefree nature of the mount, but honestly sometimes it just seems like if you don't set certain modifiers at the right distance markings, it just really seems like it does more damage to the quality of light then good.. And people go on and on about the ability to focus the modifiers, and really I've thought about it, I've tried it out, and it seems like marketing rubbish to me... Though I'm sure someone more experienced like shatterkiss could probably jump in with educated knowhow on the subject. It would at least be more helpful then the other posters comment.

Kacey
Total Posts: 136

Paul Buff wrote:
Kacey wrote:
Paul Buff wrote:
I don't compete with Profoto and have nothing against them. We serve different markets Just pointing out some engineering observations in response to comments about AB vs Profoto: Read AB sucks, Profoto is God like. I didn't say they were doing things incorrectly.

I don't understand this.... Isn't this why you developed a higher quality strobe?
What market do you see PCB products competing with? Ebay importers?
I can say one thing Paul. You may not be Einstein, but you are a marketing genius IMO

Let me clarify: We make no attempt to convince the 2% of the marketplace that mostly rent their lights because they can't afford to buy them that our products are an apple for apple comparison. That's like a guy that rents a Rolls and chauffeur so he can look important telling the people that drive Toyotas they ought to rent a Rolls to improve their image. I just bought a new Hyundai Geniuses Track coupe for $30,000 and, according to the auto experts and myself, it runs circles around an XKE or Lexus couple in performance, handling, reliability and customer service. And I can afford to own 10 Ferraris if my goal is to impress the upper social crust.

We try to bring the innovative features and performance that real world photographers want at a price they can afford. In the case of Einstein, show me a uber expensive monolight that can come within a mile of what Einstein/Cyber Commander can do in terms of performance, control, customer service and reliability, whether in the hands of a top pro or a casual newcomer, and I'll point you to a nice bridge in Brooklyn you can buy for $10.

As for competing with Ebay lights, uhh duh, I think you have thing a bit reversed.

I know . . . Paul Buff is an arrogant egocentric and general idiot who doesn't have a clue, and our current Congress and administration are real geniuses.

I get the point you were making now. Thanks for clarifying
To be fair as far as I know your strobe is only in the hands of one person so far. Hard to compare until this thing is in your customers hands for a while... Looking forward to the outcome

My last comment was meant as a compliment not a insult. I have a good idea about a addition to your forum. How about a politics section? I'm sure there are some that would like to debate issues and views with you, but are afraid of getting banned for even bringing up here. A link from your forum to the main PCB home page would also be nice

RDKirk
Total Posts: 8976

To be fair as far as I know your strobe is only in the hands of one person so far. Hard to compare until this thing is in your customers hands for a while... Looking forward to the outcome

I've counted three reported in a couple of forums so far. There are probably a couple of people who are out shooting with them instead of talking about them.

Kacey
Total Posts: 136

Awesome....
Is it OK for you to post links?

bacilonur
Total Posts: 2703

Zooming modifiers like the Zoom and Magnum are much more versatile with the ability to adjust their spread and light concentration, but I don't think all Profoto users use that functionality. Umbrellas, octas, strips, and soft boxes won't show much if any difference. Being able to make small adjustments to the spread during background duty or when shooting through a silk is pretty nice, but it's not essential. The strength and intrinsic ability to rotate any modifier is where it really shines IMO. It's also pretty easy to adapt third party modifiers with spare Profoto mounts, and you don't encounter the issue where the bulb is too far back after hacking the adapter since you can just zoom it back.

I thought the D1's were awesome on paper until I bought 2 500's and pulled them out of the box. I don't know about the 1000, but the 500's feel hollow almost to the point of feeling plasticky because their weight just doesn't match up with their enormous size. The dial in the back was nice, but the buttons and menu/input timing weren't thought out that well IMO. Definitely nowhere near the simplicity of an Acute2/7B.

Deezie
Total Posts: 1449

Adam - we can find issues with any brand of lights. For the most part, Profoto makes wonderful, high-end products that are durable, efficient and a delight to use. I rent Profoto for my jobs and have had my share of heavily-used lights with operating issues. But the good thing about renting is that they're replaced without cost.

When I owned some Bees, there were issues I had with the quality of the reflector, the modifier attachment, model light, the quality of the slave, etc. but it's was hard to complain about these issues given its modest cost. The Einstein line that Paul's introduced has all the features I'd wish my Bees had when I owned them. I'm glad to see they're finally out.

c.d.embrey
Total Posts: 1146

Let me clarify: We make no attempt to convince the 2% of the marketplace that mostly rent their lights because they can't afford to buy them that our products are an apple for apple comparison. That's like a guy that rents a Rolls and chauffeur so he can look important telling the people that drive Toyotas they ought to rent a Rolls to improve their image.

Several local shooters I know have half a dozen Profoto packs. Seems like they are successful enough to afford the tools they want/need. One of them owns a 7' Giant Reflector and uses it regularly.

Because of how/what I shoot I have one Profoto AcuteB 600R. An Einstein and a Vagabond can/will not replace it, but maybe a B3 will. If you don't use something regularly it makes economic sense to rent, rather than tying-up money on an expensive door stop. When I need a D4 I rent it, not to impress people but because it is the right tool for the job. YMMV

Zooming modifiers like the Zoom and Magnum are much more versatile with the ability to adjust their spread and light concentration, but I don't think all Profoto users use that functionality. Umbrellas, octas, strips, and soft boxes won't show much if any difference. Being able to make small adjustments to the spread during background duty or when shooting through a silk is pretty nice, but it's not essential. The strength and intrinsic ability to rotate any modifier is where it really shines IMO. It's also pretty easy to adapt third party modifiers with spare Profoto mounts, and you don't encounter the issue where the bulb is too far back after hacking the adapter since you can just zoom it back.

I seldom use softboxes, so I don't own any. The closest I come to using umbrellas is my 3 Silver PCB PLMs (can't wait to get the V2) The PCB PLMs won't replace a Big Para, but for many jobs they are close enough for rock 'n roll.

What I do use is a Profoto Hardbox, a Zoom and a 20" Speedotron (think of it as a larger Magnum). Sometimes I'll even use a real Magnum So the Profoto mount is Important to me.

The mount is very nice for doing custom modifiers like my 20" Speedotron. I'll be adapting a PCB Silver HOBD and will use the Elinchron Deflector, because the PCB deflector won't work on a Profoto.

Back to Einstein

When my Einstein arrives I'll test it. If it fits in with my style of shooting I'll have to buy a back-up, because I can't use the two local rental houses as a back-up, as I do with Profoto. BTW the same would hold true if I were using Elinchrom because Flashlights (great people to do business with), in Pasadena, is about 50 miles away.

Paul Buff
Total Posts: 2775

Kacey - not a good idea to mix much politics with business so I'll leave that for others. But our nation is in a crisis and I have to say something now and then.

Reviews of Einstein will be coming soon as they get into shooters hands. Thanks for your comments. I just try to tell people what I am doing and let them make their own decisions.

1       2       3              5      
       end