/forum/topic/862783/48

1       2       3              48      
       50              54       55       end

Mescalamba
Total Posts: 3731

pdmphoto wrote:
Ricardo LP wrote:
Thanks pdm,
Agree with carsten here, using alternative lenses for landscape work I do a lot of color correction on the 5DII, auto WB sucks in the field. Using Canon dedicated lenses WB seems o get better. But still love my c/y 35-70.

I dunno... i struggle to get really good greens and earth tones (in less than perfect natural light) from the same set of alts I used on my 5DII. WB is better on the A7R but then I shoot mostly RAW. The shadows and highlights have color casts compared to the mid tones. I long for the great color I used to get from my Kodak slr/c and /n at base or lower ISO.

Greens and earth tones are a big deal for me, living in the Pacific NW. Ditto for the less than perfect natural light The A7r seems to struggle more with producing color in cloudy and shadow light.

1DsMK3, A99 with color profiles might do that. A900 probably even without. Otherwise Kodak SLR/n is one of the kind in color department. Despite that with digital we mostly shoot color, very few cameras actually have great colors. Seems most people dont care and neither do manufacturers (tho in both Nikon and Sony case, latest FF cameras seem as step in better direction).

Abuttolph
Total Posts: 469

Cropped to about 50% of original image.

banpreso
Total Posts: 475

Cook on Break by banpreso, on Flickr

Load Master by banpreso, on Flickr

Parking Lot Attendent by banpreso, on Flickr

taemo
Total Posts: 678

couldn't sleep last night so I was browsing this thread and Ebay on the iphone.. now I'm a future owner of the C/Y 35-70 lens, also ordered a Fotodiox CY-NEX adapter from Amazon.

banpreso

compare to primes this lens is pretty impressive. have to be careful of flares a bit, not too bad. congrats on the lens!

stockshas
Total Posts: 58

taemo wrote:
couldn't sleep last night so I was browsing this thread and Ebay on the iphone.. now I'm a future owner of the C/Y 35-70 lens, also ordered a Fotodiox CY-NEX adapter from Amazon.

Congrats. Looking for one of these myself. Did you pick one locally or from one of the Japanese sellers? Not sure what others experiences have been with the international sales. Also there seems to be two versions of this (3.4 and 3.5). Wonder if there's a lot of difference in them.

banpreso

stockshas wrote:
taemo wrote:

Congrats. Looking for one of these myself. Did you pick one locally or from one of the Japanese sellers? Not sure what others experiences have been with the international sales. Also there seems to be two versions of this (3.4 and 3.5). Wonder if there's a lot of difference in them.

the japanese sellers are great, they are really accurate with descriptions and provide EMS tracking. i've dealt with many of them. as for versions, i'm not sure if there is a f3.5 version. i think sometimes people just mistake the 3.4 for a 3.5, i know i've done that in the past. the other zeiss f3.5 zooms are not constant aperture

stockshas
Total Posts: 58

thanks for the quick reply .. heading to look for one ...

taemo
Total Posts: 678

Thanks, I bought it from a seller in Italy for $350 compared to the $400+ from Japan.
They had it listed as a CY 35-70 3.5 but looking at the pictures it was a 3.4

but I've bought camera and lenses from Japan, their descriptions and pictures are always satisfactory and EMS shipping is quick

Rob L
Total Posts: 21

I would add that these lenses are not rare in Japan and Hong Kong and most of them are in excellent condition. But examine them carefully with a bright LED flashlight. They have cheap enough labor over there that many of these lenses have had the haze removed (haze is a big problem due to the climate) prior to listing on E Bay. The work is often not very skillfully done or the haze may have been very severe, but I have seen some bad scratching of interior elements and residual fog on many CY lenses. Interestingly one lens that I had looked awful, but performed beautifully.

tmcuong
Total Posts: 2

By Sony NEX-6 w/ 35-70mm f3.4

DSC00840 by t m c, on Flickr

philip_pj
Total Posts: 4168

the magic zoom on Sony a99. Easy to forget it is a zoom...

Abuttolph
Total Posts: 469

Heavily cropped coneflower photo shot last summer. Plus a bump for the thread

eno789
Total Posts: 141

Tulips by B Zhou, on Flickr

Magnolia Petals by B Zhou, on Flickr

Olive Trees by B Zhou, on Flickr

philip_pj
Total Posts: 4168

Good to see the cameras are catching up to this fine optic, at last, esp re better dynamic range. It never disappoints and gives you as good a chance of a great result as you are likely to get. It might be the best 'f8 50mm' lens made, as that is the aperture where it delivers its peak performance, and 50mm has no distortion to speak of, and very little curvature. Pictorially, it does beautiful skies, it seldom needs fiddling with color, with clean but creamy neutrals. Ultra detail rendition. It's a zoom Zeiss should re-release for FE cameras, only 50 grams heavier than the 24-70/4, and this one has lovely bokeh and a fine macro, and it's real strong at 70mm. CA control is exceptional. A lens with real heart.

banpreso

bringing this thread back from the graveyard

Going Home by Jun Zheng, on Flickr

Someone's Kitchen by Jun Zheng, on Flickr

Oh Cock by Jun Zheng, on Flickr

Psycho Cat by Jun Zheng, on Flickr

msshea
Total Posts: 164

Has anyone tried the 35-70 on a Leica M? I have two copies of the CY and a 240 and the thought just came to mind that it might be a good combination. Is the Novoflex adapter the only one worth buying?
Thanks,
Merrill

RemcoR
Total Posts: 2

My very first post, what else but with the CY35-70/3.4

https://flic.kr/p/pUKrMk

https://flic.kr/p/pcozJz

https://flic.kr/p/pCzXns

RemcoR

Lynn Ross
Total Posts: 3160

Got out hiking with this lens ... all I can say is Wow!

wfrank
Total Posts: 3217

First shots with a new 35-70, my last was slightly decentered. Subtle but once you notice hard to live with. Now sold.

A7II and around 35 and definitetly F/3.4

Ready for spring
DSC01751 1500 by Wilhelm Frank - Stockholm, on Flickr

1       2       3              48      
       50              54       55       end