carstenw wrote:
Beautiful! Italy?

Thanks. Yes, Montalcino.

hiepphotog
Total Posts: 2417

Very nice shot Jochen.

carstenw
Total Posts: 16145

Hah, I knew it! I was there a few years back, and the landscape was so familiar I bought a 37 Euro bottle of Brunello, the most expensive I had bought up until that time, and it eventually rose to a value of 250 Euro or so, and got a 99/100 from Wine Spectator, but I drank it with the wrong person. Oh well.

wiseguy010
Total Posts: 823

Great picture of Italy.

Ronny Olsson
Total Posts: 4244

Great shot Luka and Bob
Wow Jochen

rji2goleez
Total Posts: 5705

Jochenb wrote:

Bob, I like how you didn't overcook the HDR's.

Thanks. I've been working on using HDR to maintain a natural look without over cooking. I think I'm close to a starting formula using Nik HDR Efex Pro.

BTW - Outstanding image.

akul
Total Posts: 1998

Ronny - Thank you !

Bob - Love that shot with floor cut through. It looks like they are cutting hole through to make atrium ?

Jochen- Superb shot. Very dramatic sky. I can't believe you sold your 1.4 / 35 !!!!! I will miss your amazing shots with it,

Jochenb
Total Posts: 1994

Thanks guys!

Carsten, that's nice. It's a shame, but I didn't try any wine during my Tuscany trip. Didn't touch any alcohol because I was driving around all the time.

Luka, I replaced the 35/1.4 with the Sony RX1. I want to travel lighter (RX1 + Fuji X-E1). Also sold the 85P. The 21 and 50P are the only Zeiss lenses I have left now and I'm even thinking about selling those too. Wouldn't make much sense to keep them if I won't take my 5DII with me anymore.
Still thinking it over. Not easy because the Zeiss 21 has always served me so well. It might be my all-time favorite lens. We'll see.

ltruong8
Total Posts: 153

Smridevan and Luka, love your 35 1.4's shots. Here is mine

_DSC5524 by keepyourown2000, on Flickr

Rose, a rose by keepyourown2000, on Flickr

carstenw

Jochenb wrote:
Carsten, that's nice. It's a shame, but I didn't try any wine during my Tuscany trip. Didn't touch any alcohol because I was driving around all the time.

No evenings on your trip?

Jochenb
Total Posts: 1994

carstenw wrote:
Jochenb wrote:

No evenings on your trip?

None without having to drive. But oh well, another good reason to go back.

Rodluvan
Total Posts: 702

That's some view and photo Jochenb!
Excellent scenery R.Young, and a good capture.

More homely stuff (Stockholm)
1.4/35 @ 1.4

@4.0

Grenache
Total Posts: 2139

Jako, stellar Cabo shots. Headed there in a few weeks and excited to see some of what is in store.

RDDave, cool sculpture shots!

JochenB, beautiful hilltop shot.

Some coastal shots with the 35/1.4. How can any one not love this lens?!?!?
Jim

To the Skies! by Only_to_be_kind, on Flickr

Hop, Skip...and a Jump by Only_to_be_kind, on Flickr

Pride Rock by Only_to_be_kind, on Flickr

Shimmer by Only_to_be_kind, on Flickr

ltruong8
Total Posts: 153

Very nice shoots with 35 1.4, Grenache and Rodluvan.

@Grenache: I extremely love mine .

mike reid
Total Posts: 2512

stitched 100mp pano

carstenw

Really nice! 3 shots with a D800?

redisburning
Total Posts: 1095

Im just going to open up to anyone who wants to take a chance of talking me out of this.

I am in all likeliehood selling my M2 and ZM planar. I like the camera (like, I LOVE the camera but no budget for Lux ASPH means I will just buy another one later) but I'm not sold on the lens. For what I can get from that I will probably get an F3HP and the 50/2 Makro-Planar [well, sometime later].

here is what I think I get out of the MP:
1. better performance before f4; important to me since I have a phenomenal 50/3.5 macro which I can get copies of for 100 dollars a piece. so I need a lens for when that is not fast enough.
2. more IN YOUR FACE look. the ZM50P is subtle and gentle and I want a lens with crunch.
3. I can adapt it to my Canon for when I want to shoot digital. granted this is rarely but I have a relative with a FF Nikon too.

can anyone give me a legitimate reason I shouldn't do this? I realize the Nikon will suck compared to an M2 (yes Ive had Nikon film cameras before) but I feel like I have an awful lot tied up in a lens I just dont get along with. Some people like Starry Night. I like First Days of Spring at the Strait of Hormusz, and I want a lens that reflects my counter-normal views of what good lenses are.

oh and here is an image from a Zeiss for your troubles:

Untitled by redisburning, on Flickr

Dpedraza
Total Posts: 1298

carstenw wrote:
Really nice! 3 shots with a D800?

he uses a 5dmii i do believe

philip_pj
Total Posts: 3851

Red, this one is easy. Hands down, the 50MP and Nikon, provided you can deal with camera stillness - MUP, etc.

Technically (i.e. macro/micro contrast, detail definition, MTF) it's better at f2 but neither of these are great there, to be expected. By f4 the 50MP is a veritable powerhouse, many believe it is the sharpest 50mm made, I am of this view also, until the 55mm Distagon steals the crown. It's very well behaved out to 15mm IH.

It is also a beautifully clinical lens, and has much less distortion than the M equivalent you mention, around half the level of distortion in fact. It is the only ZF lens I would find a use for (Contax guy), and it's quite versatile, fine for objects as well as landscapes. Bokeh is personal but you see many great examples from the MP.

Overall its best aperture performance is around that of the 21mm Distagon. These can both crunch with the best of them ;-) It's the kind of lens large format shooters treasure, if I can put it that way. Your 50/3.5 may not seem so phenomenal if you get one.

It is such a good lens a lot of people dislike it. For reasons that remain a mystery despite their arguments. I believe some lenses are held to higher standards than others. What type of film do you have in mind might matter, this is a very high contrast lens...more difficulty with tonal control unless B&W.

carstenw

philip_pj wrote:
It is such a good lens a lot of people dislike it. For reasons that remain a mystery despite their arguments.

No mystery:

- The extreme corners wide open are utter junk. Dark, smudgy, unattractive.
- The boke is very iffy on occasion, nervous.
- It handles specular highlights ungracefully too frequently for my taste.
- It has "fat" depth of field. This is strictly speaking not a negative, but it isn't always what people look for.
- It doesn't really have a look, it is quite clinical. I might make an exception for portraits, where it shines.
- The "feature" which leads to the junk wide-open corners is dramatic field curvature, which can lead to in-focus far away stuff in the corners. Very annoying.

Zeiss should have made the optics of this lens 5% larger and had a fantastic lens with no compromises (except the rendering style).

The 50P:

- It is soft and a bit hazy until f/2.8-f/4. From f/5.6 it may be sharper than the 50MP.
- The look is gorgeous.
- The boke is very graceful.
- It handles sparkly highlights nicer more often.

I own both and am not planning to sell either, but the 50P is clearly my favorite.

1       2       3              822      
       824              1068       1069       end