ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)
/forum/topic/860134/808

1       2       3              808      
       810              986       987       end

bruni
Total Posts: 1422

Lieutenant Z wrote:
85 P WO

Phillippe - I know I said I was copying you - but that's a pic I couldn't have taken. No way could I get focus wide open - and that light and contrast you do. No - all I can manage is stationary objects in bright sun

ben

William St - Zeiss 10mm f2 by benmorgan28, on Flickr

Opera House security - zeiss 100mm f2 by benmorgan28, on Flickr

Opera House steps - zeiss 100mm f2 by benmorgan28, on Flickr

Zeiss 100 Makro Planar by benmorgan28, on Flickr

Lieutenant Z
Total Posts: 3011

Ben, as I said in other thread you have your own strong personnal style.
Your last set is great. I'd like be able to do pictures like the 3 last.

R.Young
Total Posts: 960

Loch Eck by Rob.Young, on Flickr

rji2goleez
Total Posts: 4667

Ben - I love how you shoot into the light!
Rob - beautiful scene and you captured it wonderfully.

I'm starting a project to document the reconstruction of an old headquarter building that will eventually be turned into an research center. They are currently in demolition and clean up. My hope is to capture the before, during and after construction. It's great that I will have free access during the whole process. Here are some taken with the 15 and 21 Distagon.

bruni
Total Posts: 1422

rji2goleez wrote:
Ben - I love how you shoot into the light!
Rob - beautiful scene and you captured it wonderfully.

I'm starting a project to document the reconstruction of an old headquarter building that will eventually be turned into an research center. They are currently in demolition and clean up. My hope is to capture the before, during and after construction. It's great that I will have free access during the whole process. Here are some taken with the 15 and 21 Distagon.

Thanks Bob

I see you're into tunnels huh? That is a wonderful shadow cast by the bin in #3.

ben

Grenache
Total Posts: 1911

R.Young, gorgeous colors.
Bob, love the next to last shot (tunnel with worker in BW).

A couple shots from San Fran this morning.

21/2.8 ZE (3 shot vertical pano, slightly cropped back):

Candlestick Pier by Only_to_be_kind, on Flickr

35/1.4 ZE:

Decapitated by Only_to_be_kind, on Flickr

akul
Total Posts: 1611

Gorgeous works every one !

nibutto - Really cool shots from Venice. BW series is my fav.
rirakuma - That #2 is superb !!
bruni - #2 Wow.
Bob - I am jealous that you have access to such a cool spot ! The BW shot is great .
Grenache- Beautiful landscape works.

ZF35 1.4 WO

bpark42
Total Posts: 1557

Nice work with the 35, akul. I like the second with the focus on what I assume is a discarded christmas tree.

Picture This!
Total Posts: 1932

Chennai, India.
ZF 21

nibutto
Total Posts: 193

Thank's Luka,
During Venice holiday I had the D800 with the 3 lenses I own: 21, 35/2 and 100.
No AF lenses for me. DK17M and DK19 helps a lot. No focusing screens available for D800.

Looking at your beautiful images it's raising in me the idea to change the 35/2 with the 1,4 version, it seems like the character of the 35/2 is more similar to the 21 and I'm led to use the widest more. 35/1,4 would be very interesting. Bokeh is so pleasing and the zone in focus are so sharp also at 1,4. How do you feel with the manual focus with an 1,4 lens? size and the weight would be no problems for me.
Thanks and sorry for my terrible english.... Nicola

First attempts to B&W conversions in lightroom (ZF21)

Grenache

Some complain about difficulty in focusing the 35/1.4. I find it to be my easiest to focus because it is so bright. I use the precision matte screen in my 5d2, but even with the regular screen did fine. You just have to make sure your diopter wheel did not get bumped going in or out of camera bags...same with any MF lens...diopter has to match your vision.

Jim

Grenache

Thanks, Akul

Jim

rji2goleez
Total Posts: 4667

Luka - I like what you're doing with the 35 WO
Picturethis - Nice job with the 21
Nibutto - this set has a good vibe!

More from my recent visit to my company's old building. The last image here is my 'akul tribute' . . . 35/1.4 wide open with some construction stuff in the foreground. Hope I did you proud!

JaKo
Total Posts: 1030

Outstanding images on the last few pages!
R.Young - fantastic greenery, picture perfect.
Akul - your latest pictures really show 35/1.4 at its best.
Nibutto - unique take on Venice. I enjoyed your earlier pictures from a bike trip. Where was it?

ZF.2 2/35 WO

Ripolini
Total Posts: 368

Beautiful set Jako.
Love #2.

akul

bpark42, Nicola - thank you !!

Picture this - Very nice scene. Beautiful rows of flower neckless (?). They look similar to Hawaiian lei.

Nicola - Beautiful BW works. I am drawn to the last shot. Very nice texture giving history of the wall.
Regarding 35 2 vs 35 1.4.
They are both really good lenses. I still have both at the moment. I might, however, replace 35 2 with 25 2.8 at some point as 35/2 does not get used enough these days. Big difference is the DOF. Even at same aperture, say f2 or f4, 1.4 has shallower DOF compare to 35/2. The uniquely deep DOF of 35/2 might have also given the impression of similarity to 21/2.8. Also notable with 35/2 is its rendition of three dimensional objects, which tends to do very well in close to mid distance. In long distance, I always had a bit of trouble with 35/2 in long distance shot but It could be my focusing. Now, 35 1.4, is a great lens, with beautiful color and bokeh, but I find focusing to be much more challenging than 35/2 throughout. I figured out that there was a consistent relationship to focus indicator on my D700 and actual focused area, which tends to be closer than focus indicator 'thinks' it is in the range of 'focused' zone. Clearly, the focusing tolerance of Nikon AF lenses vs Distagon 35 1.4 are not on the same page. . When I don't have time, I tend to use the technique I described above, and shoot a few shots in the hope one of them would give me a proper focused image. When I have a little more time, I use Live View then shoot hand-hold like a point and shoot camera. This trick is OK with 12MP D700, however, I suspect it won't yield too much success with 36MP D800 as such shooting is more prone to shaking blur. One other thing about 35 1.4 is the haze at 1.4. It is rather strong, and makes Live View focusing challenging especially in high contrast scene. In lower contrast scene, haze seems to be reduced. One last thing on 1.4 is Longitudinal Chromatic Abberation. Lloyd Chambers talks about it on his site. High contrast oof area ( tree branch against white sky, for instance), you would notice purple fringing in the oof edge. This may bother some people. I personally do not get bothered by it that much for the kind of photos I tend to take. Once you increase DOF, this would mostly disappear.
Like I said both are superb lens, but 1.4 has the magical 1.4 look, 2 has the great three dimensional rendition in close distance. For what you are looking for, 1.4 might fits your style really well.

akul

Thanks guys !
R. Young - Great shot. Your sky is always beautiful.
Bob - Great series. Wow, loving that last shot
Jako - Beautiful shots. Last one is my fav.

Picture This!
Total Posts: 1932

Akul, great work with the 35/1.4. You're making me want this lens more and more.
Bob, love the old building shots. That wrench shot with the 100 is ace ! great work.
Jako, nice detail and character in those shots with the 35/2. I sold this lens and you guys are making me want to buy it back. Deciding between the 1.4 and 2

Ronny _Olsson
Total Posts: 2472

Great Shot Luka and Jim

Zeiss Makro-Planar T * 50mm f / 2 ZF.2 by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2.8/21 ZF 2 by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

JaKo
Total Posts: 1030

Akul: Thank you for info on 1.4/35 and 2/35.
Picture This! wrote: I sold this lens and you guys are making me want to buy it back. Deciding between the 1.4 and 2

See, the "problem" with visiting this forum is that you simply cannot just settle on one lens. In this case you gotta have Zeiss 1.4/35 for bokeh, 2/35 for 3D pop and Leica-R 35 Cron or Lux for all their virtues.
And that's just 35mm length! It's a mad hobby

1       2       3              808      
       810              986       987       end