The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread
/forum/topic/839374/118

1       2       3              118      
119
       120              122       123       end

theophilus
Registered: May 21, 2005
Total Posts: 840
Country: United States

The really good C/Y Zeiss glass is very contrasty (especially micro) right away, it doesn't take much to make it overdone. Sometimes just moving the white and black points a little and adding some selective sharpening is all it takes. I find they take well to the clarity slider in Lightroom, or similar PS techniques.



JocoFoto
Registered: Nov 03, 2014
Total Posts: 105
Country: Netherlands

Thanks Theophilus!



sebboh
Registered: Nov 02, 2009
Total Posts: 12610
Country: United States

theophilus wrote:
I find they take well to the clarity slider in Lightroom, or similar PS techniques.


gotta disagree here, i find adding clarity to quickly destroy the look of the lens.

a few more shots with my modded version:





























Gary Clennan
Registered: Mar 29, 2007
Total Posts: 7648
Country: Canada

I find (for mostly all fast lenses) that adding clarity to wide open, close range shots typically makes the background blur/bokeh less attractive to my eye.



JocoFoto
Registered: Nov 03, 2014
Total Posts: 105
Country: Netherlands

Inspired by the amazing car shots by Wfrank and R.young, here's a 2 shot pano wide open of a Bedford bus.



Did a couple of short DOF pano-attempts of flowering trees, but both Photoshop CS6 and PTGui have bij problems stitching correctly :-( Perhaps it will help to bring my tripod and pano head?



theophilus
Registered: May 21, 2005
Total Posts: 840
Country: United States

To be more specific I find clarity a good addition to wide sweeping landscape shots shot stopped down. Those are more my style. I agree with not using it as much in close range especially wide open.



theophilus
Registered: May 21, 2005
Total Posts: 840
Country: United States

So what's the consensus on the FE 35/1.4 vs the old CY Distagon 1.4? The CY 35/1.4 has been my dream lens for forever.

They seem roughly the same weight, can probably pick up the CY for $500 less.



sebboh
Registered: Nov 02, 2009
Total Posts: 12610
Country: United States

theophilus wrote:
So what's the consensus on the FE 35/1.4 vs the old CY Distagon 1.4? The CY 35/1.4 has been my dream lens for forever.

They seem roughly the same weight, can probably pick up the CY for $500 less.


i think the c/y is a little smaller too even with the adapter. probably not as good a landscape lens though (not a bad one either).



















theophilus
Registered: May 21, 2005
Total Posts: 840
Country: United States

sebboh wrote:
theophilus wrote:
So what's the consensus on the FE 35/1.4 vs the old CY Distagon 1.4? The CY 35/1.4 has been my dream lens for forever.

They seem roughly the same weight, can probably pick up the CY for $500 less.


i think the c/y is a little smaller too even with the adapter. probably not as good a landscape lens though (not a bad one either).


So the FE 1.4 is looking good corner to corner stopped down?



Ronny Olsson
Registered: Jun 24, 2012
Total Posts: 5072
Country: Sweden


Sony A7 + C/Y Contax Distagon 35/1.4 +Contax Extension Tube 13mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr



Sony A7 + C/Y Contax Distagon 35/1.4 +Contax Extension Tube 13mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr



Sony A7 + C/Y Contax Distagon 35/1.4 +Contax Extension Tube 13mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr


Sony A7 + C/Y Contax Distagon 35/1.4 +Contax Extension Tube 13mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr



sebboh
Registered: Nov 02, 2009
Total Posts: 12610
Country: United States

theophilus wrote:
sebboh wrote:
theophilus wrote:
So what's the consensus on the FE 35/1.4 vs the old CY Distagon 1.4? The CY 35/1.4 has been my dream lens for forever.

They seem roughly the same weight, can probably pick up the CY for $500 less.


i think the c/y is a little smaller too even with the adapter. probably not as good a landscape lens though (not a bad one either).


So the FE 1.4 is looking good corner to corner stopped down?


it looks to have a smaller midzone dip, but i haven't seen a direct comparison yet.



ewadler
Registered: Dec 22, 2005
Total Posts: 318
Country: United States

So, I had my Rollei (the old version of the distagon) serviced a few years ago by someone recommended for contax repair on this forum, or another, I can't remember. I haven't used it much since, but the lens barrel has come loose and I can hear a screw rolling around in there. I don't really want to send it back to the guy who originally fixed it. Are there any suggestions out there as where to send it, I don't really know where to send it. I am thinking I might just send it to Keh (I'm in Atlanta anyways). Any thoughts?



coogee
Registered: Feb 13, 2014
Total Posts: 509
Country: Australia

Ronny _Olsson wrote:

Sony A7 + C/Y Contax Distagon 35/1.4 +Contax Extension Tube 13mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr



Sony A7 + C/Y Contax Distagon 35/1.4 +Contax Extension Tube 13mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr



Sony A7 + C/Y Contax Distagon 35/1.4 +Contax Extension Tube 13mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr


Sony A7 + C/Y Contax Distagon 35/1.4 +Contax Extension Tube 13mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr


Those are gorgeous Ronny, like watercolours.



pdmphoto
Registered: Jan 02, 2005
Total Posts: 3938
Country: United States

Camera Solutions in Portland, OR did a great job doing a CLA on my Rollei 35/1.4 Distagon:

http://www.camerasolutionsinc.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=9


ewadler wrote:
So, I had my Rollei (the old version of the distagon) serviced a few years ago by someone recommended for contax repair on this forum, or another, I can't remember. I haven't used it much since, but the lens barrel has come loose and I can hear a screw rolling around in there. I don't really want to send it back to the guy who originally fixed it. Are there any suggestions out there as where to send it, I don't really know where to send it. I am thinking I might just send it to Keh (I'm in Atlanta anyways). Any thoughts?




ewadler
Registered: Dec 22, 2005
Total Posts: 318
Country: United States

Awesome, I'll give them a try, thanks!

pdmphoto wrote:
Camera Solutions in Portland, OR did a great job doing a CLA on my Rollei 35/1.4 Distagon:

http://www.camerasolutionsinc.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=9


ewadler wrote:
So, I had my Rollei (the old version of the distagon) serviced a few years ago by someone recommended for contax repair on this forum, or another, I can't remember. I haven't used it much since, but the lens barrel has come loose and I can hear a screw rolling around in there. I don't really want to send it back to the guy who originally fixed it. Are there any suggestions out there as where to send it, I don't really know where to send it. I am thinking I might just send it to Keh (I'm in Atlanta anyways). Any thoughts?





JocoFoto
Registered: Nov 03, 2014
Total Posts: 105
Country: Netherlands

I am starting to appreciate the CY 35 1.4 AEG more and more. Very versatile, performs at all apertures and scenes. The only things I dislike are that the focussing goes the wrong way, the huge lens hood and the fact it tempts me to make WOFBK (Wide Open Flower Bokeh Kitsch). Ah well...... Hence all @1.4, minimum focus and no editing (except for what smugmug does) because I prefer the subtle tones over contrast.















sebboh
Registered: Nov 02, 2009
Total Posts: 12610
Country: United States

some family pics on portra 160 with the contax aria:


















Blackout
Registered: Aug 06, 2011
Total Posts: 40
Country: France

Time to revive this thread!

I have just received a mint Rollei CZ Distagon 35/1.4, and I have the usual infinity focus issue. I'm using a Fotodiox Rollei->NEX adapter. I would like to adjust infinity on the lens, as I read a few times it was just a matter of a few screws to loosen.

My lens (the most recent Rollei version, that looks like a Contax lens) has only four screws on the focusing ring, and loosening them quite a bit does not let me move it past infinity. And there are no screws under the rubber band of the focusing ring.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!



mortyb
Registered: Feb 15, 2009
Total Posts: 1504
Country: Norway

A7s + C/Y 35/1.4 wide open:







sebboh
Registered: Nov 02, 2009
Total Posts: 12610
Country: United States

shot on velvia:




























1       2       3              118      
119
       120              122       123       end