The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread
/forum/topic/839374/118

1       2       3              118      
       120              122       123       end

theophilus
Total Posts: 840

The really good C/Y Zeiss glass is very contrasty (especially micro) right away, it doesn't take much to make it overdone. Sometimes just moving the white and black points a little and adding some selective sharpening is all it takes. I find they take well to the clarity slider in Lightroom, or similar PS techniques.

JocoFoto
Total Posts: 105

Thanks Theophilus!

sebboh
Total Posts: 12610

theophilus wrote:
I find they take well to the clarity slider in Lightroom, or similar PS techniques.

gotta disagree here, i find adding clarity to quickly destroy the look of the lens.

a few more shots with my modded version:

Gary Clennan
Total Posts: 7648

I find (for mostly all fast lenses) that adding clarity to wide open, close range shots typically makes the background blur/bokeh less attractive to my eye.

JocoFoto

Inspired by the amazing car shots by Wfrank and R.young, here's a 2 shot pano wide open of a Bedford bus.

Did a couple of short DOF pano-attempts of flowering trees, but both Photoshop CS6 and PTGui have bij problems stitching correctly :-( Perhaps it will help to bring my tripod and pano head?

theophilus

To be more specific I find clarity a good addition to wide sweeping landscape shots shot stopped down. Those are more my style. I agree with not using it as much in close range especially wide open.

theophilus

So what's the consensus on the FE 35/1.4 vs the old CY Distagon 1.4? The CY 35/1.4 has been my dream lens for forever.

They seem roughly the same weight, can probably pick up the CY for $500 less.

sebboh

theophilus wrote:
So what's the consensus on the FE 35/1.4 vs the old CY Distagon 1.4? The CY 35/1.4 has been my dream lens for forever.

i think the c/y is a little smaller too even with the adapter. probably not as good a landscape lens though (not a bad one either).

theophilus

sebboh wrote:
theophilus wrote:

i think the c/y is a little smaller too even with the adapter. probably not as good a landscape lens though (not a bad one either).

So the FE 1.4 is looking good corner to corner stopped down?

Ronny Olsson
Total Posts: 5072

Sony A7 + C/Y Contax Distagon 35/1.4 +Contax Extension Tube 13mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Sony A7 + C/Y Contax Distagon 35/1.4 +Contax Extension Tube 13mm by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

sebboh

theophilus wrote:
sebboh wrote:
theophilus wrote:

So the FE 1.4 is looking good corner to corner stopped down?

it looks to have a smaller midzone dip, but i haven't seen a direct comparison yet.

ewadler
Total Posts: 318

So, I had my Rollei (the old version of the distagon) serviced a few years ago by someone recommended for contax repair on this forum, or another, I can't remember. I haven't used it much since, but the lens barrel has come loose and I can hear a screw rolling around in there. I don't really want to send it back to the guy who originally fixed it. Are there any suggestions out there as where to send it, I don't really know where to send it. I am thinking I might just send it to Keh (I'm in Atlanta anyways). Any thoughts?

coogee
Total Posts: 509

Ronny _Olsson wrote:

Those are gorgeous Ronny, like watercolours.

pdmphoto
Total Posts: 3938

Camera Solutions in Portland, OR did a great job doing a CLA on my Rollei 35/1.4 Distagon:

http://www.camerasolutionsinc.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=9

ewadler wrote:
So, I had my Rollei (the old version of the distagon) serviced a few years ago by someone recommended for contax repair on this forum, or another, I can't remember. I haven't used it much since, but the lens barrel has come loose and I can hear a screw rolling around in there. I don't really want to send it back to the guy who originally fixed it. Are there any suggestions out there as where to send it, I don't really know where to send it. I am thinking I might just send it to Keh (I'm in Atlanta anyways). Any thoughts?

ewadler
Total Posts: 318

Awesome, I'll give them a try, thanks!

pdmphoto wrote:
Camera Solutions in Portland, OR did a great job doing a CLA on my Rollei 35/1.4 Distagon:

http://www.camerasolutionsinc.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=9

ewadler wrote:

JocoFoto

I am starting to appreciate the CY 35 1.4 AEG more and more. Very versatile, performs at all apertures and scenes. The only things I dislike are that the focussing goes the wrong way, the huge lens hood and the fact it tempts me to make WOFBK (Wide Open Flower Bokeh Kitsch). Ah well...... Hence all @1.4, minimum focus and no editing (except for what smugmug does) because I prefer the subtle tones over contrast.

sebboh

some family pics on portra 160 with the contax aria:

Blackout
Total Posts: 40

Time to revive this thread!

I have just received a mint Rollei CZ Distagon 35/1.4, and I have the usual infinity focus issue. I'm using a Fotodiox Rollei->NEX adapter. I would like to adjust infinity on the lens, as I read a few times it was just a matter of a few screws to loosen.

My lens (the most recent Rollei version, that looks like a Contax lens) has only four screws on the focusing ring, and loosening them quite a bit does not let me move it past infinity. And there are no screws under the rubber band of the focusing ring.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

mortyb
Total Posts: 1504

A7s + C/Y 35/1.4 wide open:

sebboh

shot on velvia:

1       2       3              118      
       120              122       123       end