The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread
/forum/topic/839374/114

1       2       3              114      
115
       116              119       120       end

R.Young
Registered: Jul 01, 2011
Total Posts: 943
Country: United Kingdom


Philosopher's Path - Kyoto by Rob.Young, on Flickr


LeadyGonzales
Registered: May 19, 2011
Total Posts: 422
Country: Switzerland

nice shot, beautiful 3D - and great car

here the Rollei-version on NEX-6 with Speed Booster and LR4 (but jpg, not raw)















- L.



sculptormic
Registered: Feb 05, 2012
Total Posts: 1322
Country: Netherlands

Leadygonzales, nice work from Paris!

Looks like a great combination your HFT 35 and Speed booster. I am curious if this combination on a NEX-7 is in the same leaque as when you put this lens on a 5DII or 6D. What do you think?

Can't wait for mine to arrive...



helimat
Registered: Apr 06, 2008
Total Posts: 3728
Country: Canada

A great thread! Love the Mini Mr. Young.

Probably my favourite birding lens...


_MG_0420 by helimat, on Flickr


_MG_7039 by helimat, on Flickr


_MG_7142 by helimat, on Flickr


_MG_7200 by helimat, on Flickr


_MG_7291 by helimat, on Flickr





LeadyGonzales
Registered: May 19, 2011
Total Posts: 422
Country: Switzerland

sculptormic wrote:
Leadygonzales, nice work from Paris!

Looks like a great combination your HFT 35 and Speed booster. I am curious if this combination on a NEX-7 is in the same leaque as when you put this lens on a 5DII or 6D. What do you think?

Can't wait for mine to arrive...





hi,

thanks

.. there a pros & cons ...


5-10x magnifiction helps a lot for focussing

5DII has a nicer rendering in jpg (up to now for my taste) i will check raw for nex in LR4

5DII hits the rear element at infinity

nex + sb has a 1.07 crop

...

however, i have a steady progress and actually the non satisfying part is more the nex than the SB.
i, will practise ...


looking forward to seeing the first pictures from you with this lens and SB

-L.


ps: see the post of helimat, amazing rendering !!



LeadyGonzales
Registered: May 19, 2011
Total Posts: 422
Country: Switzerland

... the triangular aperture of the rollei version ....



- L.



carstenw
Registered: Dec 26, 2005
Total Posts: 15356
Country: Germany

Bizarre And how the music playing angel turns into the shadow of an old man smoking a pipe



wfrank
Registered: Feb 09, 2011
Total Posts: 2891
Country: Sweden

Impressive shadow spotting Carsten (!), I was focused with the triangles actually rhyming quite well with the gothic arches :-)

Great page, great images.

Leady, how do you find corner sharpness with the Speedbooster?



wfrank
Registered: Feb 09, 2011
Total Posts: 2891
Country: Sweden

Some cars today released from their winter hibernation. Two first are stitches, then a single shot just for comparison.

2 vertical shots


3 vertical shots


A similar composition with a single shot






carstenw
Registered: Dec 26, 2005
Total Posts: 15356
Country: Germany

You know my opinion already



Samuli Vahonen
Registered: Jul 16, 2003
Total Posts: 1583
Country: Finland

Robert & Wilhelm, C/Y 1.4/35 and old cars make me doubt every time did I choose right when I went to ZE-version. Really nice shots, thanks for posting.

BTW. People seem mostly shooting wide open, does the C/Y bokeh improve/smoothen when closed down to f/2, f/2.2, f/2.5 (I know there is no "click" between f/2 and f/2.8 but when I shoot with C/Y lenses e.g. 1.7/50 I all the time shoot between f/2 and f/2.8 since the "sweet spot" between quality and amount of bokeh is there)? Does it loose the "3D" if you do that? The ZE version improves in bokeh quality, specially in corners.





Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 1.4/35 @ f/2, 1/4000s - larger




Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 1.4/35 @ f/2, 1/4000s - larger



Samuli



ceder
Registered: May 13, 2011
Total Posts: 278
Country: Sweden

wfrank wrote:
Some cars today released from their winter hibernation. Two first are stitches, then a single shot just for comparison.

2 vertical shots


3 vertical shots


A similar composition with a single shot





Lovely shots!
How do you do your stitches? Tripod? Special head? How much overlaps etc? I never done it...



wfrank
Registered: Feb 09, 2011
Total Posts: 2891
Country: Sweden

carstenw wrote:
You know my opinion already


I knew you'd vote for the Merc. You Germans are all the same! ;-)



wfrank
Registered: Feb 09, 2011
Total Posts: 2891
Country: Sweden

ceder wrote:

Lovely shots!
How do you do your stitches? Tripod? Special head? How much overlaps etc? I never done it...


Thanks ceder!

No, that's the beauty of it, no special equipment at all just common sense. Overlap in your mind and keep a horizon. Here at FM there are multiple examples of beautiful stitches with many more images than say 3-4. In those cases you may need to take some more care like working in a spiral (hard) or an imaginary row-by-row scheme (slightly easier).

Then select File/Automate/Photomerge in Photoshop. That's more or less it.



sebboh
Registered: Nov 02, 2009
Total Posts: 10298
Country: United States

Samuli Vahonen wrote:
BTW. People seem mostly shooting wide open, does the C/Y bokeh improve/smoothen when closed down to f/2, f/2.2, f/2.5 (I know there is no "click" between f/2 and f/2.8 but when I shoot with C/Y lenses e.g. 1.7/50 I all the time shoot between f/2 and f/2.8 since the "sweet spot" between quality and amount of bokeh is there)? Does it loose the "3D" if you do that? The ZE version improves in bokeh quality, specially in corners.

Samuli


imo, the c/y version doesn't improve bokeh much on stopping down. the corner bokeh gets a little less crazy (they are worse than the Z* btw), but in general there isn't much bokeh softening with stopping down. when you add the octagons from the non-rounded aperture blades (or even worse the triangles from the rollei) it often doesn't make a whole lot of sense to stop it down for reasons other than dof or cross the frame sharpness.

i don't have any longer distance comparisons (which is where it actually matters), but here is the same shot with the c/y (on aps-c unfortunately) at various apertures:

f/1.4:


f/2:


f/2.8:


f/4:



wfrank
Registered: Feb 09, 2011
Total Posts: 2891
Country: Sweden

Samuli Vahonen wrote:
Robert & Wilhelm, C/Y 1.4/35 and old cars make me doubt every time did I choose right when I went to ZE-version. Really nice shots, thanks for posting.

BTW. People seem mostly shooting wide open, does the C/Y bokeh improve/smoothen when closed down to f/2, f/2.2, f/2.5 (I know there is no "click" between f/2 and f/2.8 but when I shoot with C/Y lenses e.g. 1.7/50 I all the time shoot between f/2 and f/2.8 since the "sweet spot" between quality and amount of bokeh is there)? Does it loose the "3D" if you do that? The ZE version improves in bokeh quality, specially in corners.

..

Samuli


Thanks Samuli!

That is interesting and I know you advocate stopping down slightly on most of these lenses. Your images at F/2 are super-crisp (as usual coming from you). I think I have an old DOF chart stamped in my head just next to a huge lump of medium-format nostalgia. And when these conspire together I open up. Remembering images from R.Young, Leady and others adds too. But I should try your scheme and see what comes out.

Incidentally, here's another shot from today at F/2.8 or F/2. I stopped down to get more of the cafe behind (say hey to Johan, the hat-guy and proud owner of the Merc -64 :-). I imagine you lose part of the depth-feel that lens is capable of by doing this. Or do you mean the smoother bokeh (I would agree to that) compensate?

(This is earlier in the day, super harsh spring light, not my fav scenery)



carstenw
Registered: Dec 26, 2005
Total Posts: 15356
Country: Germany

wfrank wrote:
carstenw wrote:
You know my opinion already


I knew you'd vote for the Merc. You Germans are all the same! ;-)


Hehe. I am neither German, nor would I vote for the Benz, although it is lovely



wfrank
Registered: Feb 09, 2011
Total Posts: 2891
Country: Sweden

I know and I know and I think you knew that



carstenw
Registered: Dec 26, 2005
Total Posts: 15356
Country: Germany

I was wondering, but I wasn't sure



ceder
Registered: May 13, 2011
Total Posts: 278
Country: Sweden

wfrank wrote:
ceder wrote:

Lovely shots!
How do you do your stitches? Tripod? Special head? How much overlaps etc? I never done it...


Thanks ceder!

No, that's the beauty of it, no special equipment at all just common sense. Overlap in your mind and keep a horizon. Here at FM there are multiple examples of beautiful stitches with many more images than say 3-4. In those cases you may need to take some more care like working in a spiral (hard) or an imaginary row-by-row scheme (slightly easier).

Then select File/Automate/Photomerge in Photoshop. That's more or less it.


Thanks for the reply. Never used Photomerge in Photoshop, but I will try it - the images have a lovely medium format feel! Great job Frank!



1       2       3              114      
115
       116              119       120       end