The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread
/forum/topic/839374/109

1       2       3              109      
       111              122       123       end

sculptormic
Total Posts: 2583

The Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam just reopened today after ten years of renovation.
The queen just opened it and here are the people standing in line for a free admission. It all looks splendid inside and outside!
Second photo, tourist hanging about.

R.Young
Total Posts: 1154

Nice shots wfrank. I spot a little highlight artefact on his cheek though, maybe a little over cooked in post?

Here is one at f/2.8 for a change. Contax MMJ on 5D2:

Ashley by Rob.Young, on Flickr

mortyb
Total Posts: 1501

^ Lovely.

Samuli Vahonen
Total Posts: 1892

wfrank wrote:
...also taken in difficult lighting with snow and harsh light filtered through trees,

Photographers have different preferences for light - after reading many photography books it starts to sound like photos should be taken always in "golden light". Personally I'm really bored to soft warm light photos, it's very worn out look - More or less I try to avoid doing those cliche shots (and exception breaks the rule as always...). While I shoot in forests one of the most important tools are shadows caused by other trees, sometimes one has to wait for long time to get light to your subject, and it may not happen at all.

wfrank wrote:
but the same lens in an evenly lit summer evening on your Volvo (or was it Saab?) is capable of producing more 3D.

Saab these days, used to be Volvo guy but when I had to leave to army had to switch car (had 240 diesel) since my car just turned it's 1st million and to continue it would have needed quite a lot of maintenance. Didn't have money for other Volvo so I bough Saab, and for some reason I'm now on my 3rd Saab even I could buy Volvo if I would like to waste money to car. Thou from the cars I have photographed it may have been Volvo as well if I have shown photo here.

On the following day (of previous photos) the spring ended and winter came bag, more snow and very different light - tried to catch the snowfall also to sensor.

Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 1.4/35 @ f/2.8, 1/320s, 5DmkII

Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 1.4/35 @ f/1.4, 1/1250s, 5DmkII (the contrast edge between snow and darker background got very ugly green fringe, removed that by desaturation of green channel, masked with few strokes to Wacom tablet in Apple Aperture)

Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 1.4/35 @ f/1.4, 1/320s, 5DmkII

And sure I use the soft light many times, but these are so cliche that I try to avoid shooting them - Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 1.4/35 @ f/11, 1/40s, 5DmkII (vignetting slider touched)

Samuli

wfrank
Total Posts: 3217

R.Young wrote:
Nice shots wfrank. I spot a little highlight artefact on his cheek though, maybe a little over cooked in post?

Thanks and probably, they often come out that way when I am not paying attention.

Very nice shot yourself. Reminds me of this UK wonder guy and his series "Soho people" which is here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/petezelewski/8385365045/in/set-72157626385293791/lightbox/

Not Zeiss but some tasty Canon L's there.

R.Young

Funny you should mention that, it's exactly what I copied. He uses alleys as they bounce the light beautifully down from above and gives a nice diffused illumination to the subject. It also gives you converging lines in the curbs and painted lines which direct the viewers eye back up to the subjects face. It's extremely formulaic, and in my opinion very lazy photography. But I stole it for a couple or portraits I've done and will keep it up my sleeve if I ever need a solid backup idea for people photography.

wfrank

A Ford. CY 35/1.4.

Grenache
Total Posts: 2184

Sebboh, in looking at your bokeh comparison at different apertures from page 115, I noticed that in addition to the bokeh not changing between images, neither did the DOF...it would appear that they are all the same aperture.

The relative sharpness of the buds out of focus in front of and behind should have changed dramatically by f/4.

Jim

sebboh
Total Posts: 12609

wfrank wrote:
A Ford. CY 35/1.4.

and a honda.

Grenache wrote:
Sebboh, in looking at your bokeh comparison at different apertures from page 115, I noticed that in addition to the bokeh not changing between images, neither did the DOF...it would appear that they are all the same aperture.

The relative sharpness of the buds out of focus in front of and behind should have changed dramatically by f/4.

Jim

um, no. unless you are looking at different pictures than me. bokeh definitely changes as does dof. you can even see the oof highlights go from round to ninja stars to octogons.

R.Young

Contax 35mm 1.4 MMJ on Contax 139Q, expired Fuji Superia 200 Film, Epson V700:

Ashley by Rob.Young, on Flickr

LeadyGonzales
Total Posts: 422

Film is charmy

wfrank, i love the cars !!

here a speedbooster picture from paris:

- L.

wfrank

Thanks Leady!

What's your current standpoint, do you find the SB so good that you're quitting the FF trail? I've seen your crop comparisons with FF and those are impressive for sure. Personally I love the sensor in the NEX but hate the handling which is a main reason for waiting to convert to mirrorless/small.

LeadyGonzales
Total Posts: 422

No,

at bright light the 5D Mark II View finder is better and also the rendering seems to be a bit softer..

5D Mark2 has a faster response ...

...not sure, SB is nice as well ....

however, my Distagon 35mm 1.4 HFT gets damage by 5D MarkII and the new planar 50mm 1.4 HFT would even break the mirror. Also the FD 85L 1.2 cannot be used on Canon, so.... there are already 3 lenses, which have to be used on speed booster.

and the nex-6 is so sweet and small

here again paris:

-L.

JaKo
Total Posts: 1867

LeadyGonzales wrote: here again paris

Perfect exposure, Leady!
It's not from 'Boogie Nights' right?

wfrank

Great shot Leady! And thanks for sharing your experience.

R.Young

Contax 35mm 1.4 MMJ on Contax 139Q, expired Fuji Superia 200 Film, Epson V700:

Devonshire Arms by Rob.Young, on Flickr

R.Young

And another:

Bolton Bridge by Rob.Young, on Flickr

sculptormic
Total Posts: 2583

@ Leady; Very nice photograph and sexy sculpture!

Cross post from Speedbooster thread.

3 Thai ladys and one Romenian lady.

twoeye
Total Posts: 749

Great work with the 1,4/35 everybody!

Time to post something in this thread too, with my homely version of Leady´s sleeping beauty above:

crazeazn
Total Posts: 1765

IMG_1145 by crazeazn, on Flickr

IMG_1178 by crazeazn, on Flickr

1       2       3              109      
       111              122       123       end