what is '3d' ?
/forum/topic/829238/46

1       2       3              46      
       end

mortyb
Total Posts: 1361

I think the more fascinating aspect about this discussion is how someone clearly sees '3D' in a photo where others think it looks flat as a pancake. How about this?

carstenw
Total Posts: 15139

Hmm, that image looks like it *should* produce some 3D, but for me it does not, possibly because the light is so even and flat.

edwardkaraa
Total Posts: 7152

carstenw wrote:
Hmm, that image looks like it *should* produce some 3D, but for me it does not, possibly because the light is so even and flat.

+1

mortyb

Interesting - and kind of confirms how different we can see certain aspects of IQ. To me it clearly has some 3D, or 'aliveness'. It certainly isn't flat in my eyes, even with flat, dull light.

edwardkaraa
Total Posts: 7152

mortyb wrote:
Interesting - and kind of confirms how different we can see certain aspects of IQ. To me it clearly has some 3D, or 'aliveness'. It certainly isn't flat in my eyes, even with flat, dull light.

It does have some 3D, but this is not a typical 3D scenario. To think about it, it does have enough 3D for such a flat subject. Perhaps a lower angle would have enhanced the effect.

Todd Adamson
Total Posts: 5209

Yes, I definitely see 3D in the rope shot.

mortyb

mortyb

The rope photo was shot with the ZF 35/2. The above with the 21/2.8. Both stopped a bit down. I remember some of Anden's shots with the 35/1.4, completely flat subjects, still with 3D in spades. An amazing feature of the Zeiss lenses IMO.

Lotusm50
Total Posts: 6228

ZF 35/2 3D-ish?

philber
Total Posts: 7367

Brilliant shots, Mortyb, Lotus!

tada
Total Posts: 397

I'm not saying this image is "3D", just adding it to contribute to the "lens makes a difference" argument. This shot is f/11, so no DOF to talk about, but this shot was with the Zeiss 21mm. I took a similar shot with the Canon 24L II, and the image from the Canon was much flatter. Wish I still had the image to compare, but I deleted it as I was unhappy with the end result. Overall, the Zeiss has that "something special" in how it renders an image.

hiepphotog
Total Posts: 829

Zeiss is definitely the one to go for 3D look. However, I took these shots recently, and people told me how they really pop.

Voigtlander 125mm + A900 (WO 4 stitched pictures):

I did try to maintain the relationship between foreground, the main object and background in both.

1       2       3              46      
       end