7D - Mid to heavy crop performance
/forum/topic/821100/4

1       2       3       4      
       6       end

Martin Good
Total Posts: 20852

Wow you are nailing them now Conrad. You will get a prize soon at this rate for the biggest number of pics on one post
Good to see you including exif data as we can all learn from that.
Seems it does not include the ISO setting though!
Keep them coming
Martin

carl haslam
Total Posts: 2889

Great captures Conrad

Carl

Migara
Total Posts: 6663

Wow what a collection of shots Conrad, you've done well with these crops!

GAREN
Total Posts: 8767

Well what can I say Conrad, first looks like you have way too much free time on your hand, secondly are there any positions open where you work another excellent series my friend

Garen

toddmitchell
Total Posts: 1615

nice stuff

now get a external drive or two so you can hold on to your orignals
they are so cheap i got a 240 gig (i think) for $35 - and make backups your don't want to lose stuff if you have a problem (i learned the hard way)

RMPHarbor
Total Posts: 1

These pictures are fantastic !! Are you a photography teacher or profesional. What state do you live in to see such diversity in birds ? What lens did you use was it a heavy zoom.? was it a Canon lens ? I think I'm sold on the Canon 7d. But I don't think I can take such great pictures.

maeckstein
Total Posts: 23

These are some of the nicest BIF images I've seen from the 7D. I have the same camera lens combo. If possible could you provide your settings for AF custom functions and what AF settins you use for BIF.

Many Thanks!

Conrad Tan
Total Posts: 28397

maeckstein wrote:
These are some of the nicest BIF images I've seen from the 7D. I have the same camera lens combo. If possible could you provide your settings for AF custom functions and what AF settins you use for BIF.

Many Thanks!

Thank you for the kind words. I use mainly the "+" shaped AF point and use the joystick to move around keeping the head of the BIF in the "+" focus group. Are you familiar with that setting? I'm sorry I do not remember what it is officially called.

maeckstein
Total Posts: 23

Thanks for your quick reply. I wll have to try that out.

Alek Komarnits
Total Posts: 712

HOLY CRAP those are SWEEET Conrad.

Except I think you need to pass out band-aids since everyone viewing 'em is cutting themselves they are so sharp.

Great Job!
alek

P.S. I too feel your pain on the disk space - just recently got a 1 TeraByte drive, but damn, can 18MP fill up disk ... but as your pictures point out, great to have the pixels to crop.

Conrad Tan

Alek Komarnits wrote:

Except I think you need to pass out band-aids since everyone viewing 'em is cutting themselves they are so sharp.

Great Job!
alek

P.S. I too feel your pain on the disk space - just recently got a 1 TeraByte drive, but damn, can 18MP fill up disk ... but as your pictures point out, great to have the pixels to crop.

Hehe... Alek you are too kind buddy! I hope you are having some fun with your 7D as well!

Alek Komarnits
Total Posts: 712

Conrad Tan wrote:
Alek Komarnits wrote:

Hehe... Alek you are too kind buddy! I hope you are having some fun with your 7D as well!

Welllll .... we are having a major winter storm out here in Colorado - I think it looks great ... but the HULK appears to be a bit pissed off being out in the cold.

These pictures were shot this morning with the 17-55/2.8 ... if you ever get tired of using a long lens for those awesome bird shots Conrad, grab this lens if you don't have it already (but don't tell the wife how much it costs - ouch!) because it is just deadly on the 7D. I'm also impressed by the IS - images below are hand-held at full 55mm tele at 1/25 second. White streaks are snowflakes lit by a nearby light as this was before sunrise.

Conrad Tan

Wow!! Nice shots Alek! Geez look at all that snow! That is a great lens. I had it once, but got rid of it when I got the 5DmkII. I do miss it though. Hehe... Take care my friend!

Conrad Tan

Wow!! Nice shots Alek! Geez look at all that snow! That is a great lens. I had it once, but got rid of it when I got the 5DmkII. I do miss it though. Hehe... Take care my friend!

Conrad Tan

maeckstein wrote:

Many Thanks!

Oh I also forgot I keep the AF sensitivity at the middle setting and use Tracking priority.

raymondjbarlow
Total Posts: 4668

killer set buddy, must be an awesome camera!

Conrad Tan

raymondjbarlow wrote:
killer set buddy, must be an awesome camera!

Thanks Ray! The camers is no 1DmkIII, but its a good subsititue if you don't want to spend the money for a 1D. I'm selling mine soon just as soon as I get my 1D mkIV!

Hungtran10
Total Posts: 3101

impressive camera and photography skills. this is making the 7d even more tempting for me......

- hung

Conrad Tan

Hungtran10 wrote:
impressive camera and photography skills. this is making the 7d even more tempting for me......

- hung

Thank you Hung, as I've said though, its not better than the 1DmkIII, but its a darn good option for folks who don't want to shell out a ton of cash.

hobbes382
Total Posts: 50

Nice shots! How do you find the focus speed and accuracy of the 300 2.8 with 1.4x and 2x teleconverters?

1       2       3       4      
       6       end