7D - Mid to heavy crop performance
/forum/topic/821100/0

2       3              5       6       end

Conrad Tan
Total Posts: 28372

Ok... everyone is talking about how the 7D does in AF, high ISO.. blah blah blah... I was curious how it did with the 18MP when one goes in for a heavy crop. So here are my samples from the other day. I'm not going to bother IDing them , just numbering them in the interest of time.

I hope these help some folks make better informed decisions on what to expect from the 7D, and perhaps give a glimpse of what the future 1D Mark IV could offer. Many of these were using heavy crop, though some are full frame but not many. And yes, I got all of these in one location on the same day.

Conrad Tan

Conrad Tan

Conrad Tan

Conrad Tan

Conrad Tan

Conrad Tan

Conrad Tan

Conrad Tan

Conrad Tan

timgriffin
Total Posts: 1280

I guess you're finally done

These are some great images! You've been showing these examples from the 7D/400 5.6 combo and I want to thank you for them! I particularly like the imbedded exif data so that I can see what settings were used for each exposure. I usually use apeture priority - it appears you use shutter priority - have you tried both? And what do you feel makes shutter priority better? Your images have gotten better with each posting as you learn the new 7D I suppose. I have a 40D and just got the same lens, so I'm hoping to have a learning curve like yours! As I said - the exif is critical for some of us to try and learn and get better. Thanks again!

David Israel
Total Posts: 3756

My goodness gracious Conrad, what a terrific series!

The 7D has performed superbly, but the photographer has performed admirably.

I have never seen white and brown pelicans in the same location.

Great job on the exposure on all of these.

Dave

Conrad Tan

timgriffin wrote:
I guess you're finally done

These are some great images! You've been showing these examples from the 7D/400 5.6 combo and I want to thank you for them! I particularly like the imbedded exif data so that I can see what settings were used for each exposure. I usually use apeture priority - it appears you use shutter priority - have you tried both? And what do you feel makes shutter priority better? Your images have gotten better with each posting as you learn the new 7D I suppose. I have a 40D and just got the same lens, so I'm hoping to have a learning curve like yours! As I said - the exif is critical for some of us to try and learn and get better. Thanks again!

Thank you for the kind works Tim! Don't let my number of posts fool you I still don't know what I'm doing . I still have not read the manual, but I think I've figured everything out hehe... I hope to keep getting better with the 7D AF. There are way too many AF points haha! Sometimes too much nad be a bad thing hehe... Let me see. I use shutter priority because I want to make sure movement is as still as possible. I only use aperture when I shoot with my 5DmkII with portaits and landscapes and such. I'll keep putting ip EXIF data for you my friend! Its a great tool for learning for sure!

Conrad Tan

David Israel wrote:
My goodness gracious Conrad, what a terrific series!

The 7D has performed superbly, but the photographer has performed admirably.

I have never seen white and brown pelicans in the same location.

Great job on the exposure on all of these.

Dave

Geeze Dave you're making me blush! Thanks for the kind words man!

hnilsson
Total Posts: 7007

Good grief, Conrad, so you decide to go out and for a shoot and this is what you end up with in a day I need to move obviously! Good job.

Your experience with that 7D seems to mirror my own. I hope to see more of the AF system in future bodies (perhaps a fairly safe bet).

H

sivrajbm
Total Posts: 3125

Nice set Conrad, it would help though to see the original then the crop or vis-versa for comparison

genemiller
Total Posts: 1673

Wonderful series, Conrad. All the photos are extremely sharp, even with the "heavy crop" you used. Could you post the originals on photos 1, 2, and 3 so we could get an idea of how much cropping you did? It would be very helpful in understanding the crop limits. Thanks.

GENE

pinball_pw
Total Posts: 2450

Nice set Conrad. Looks like you can crop these pretty heavily and have usable files. I like all of them, but number 4 would be my favorite of the set. - Paul

Gil_W
Total Posts: 1899

Beautiful. Great examples of what the camera can do in good light with an excellent photog.

Dave Bachrach
Total Posts: 526

Conrad,

Wow! What an awesome series with any dslr camera or lens. How does your 7D "keeper" rate compare to your 50D? In your opinion Is the new auto focus worth the upgrade from a 50D?

Dave

2       3              5       6       end