Tufted Puffins, etc. on Oregon Coast
/forum/topic/797247/0

2       end

genefixer
Total Posts: 6434

Spent two mornings at the base of Haystack Rock located at Cannon Beach, Oregon. My first opportunity to get some shots of Puffins which I had only previously seen at the Oregon Coast Aquarium in Newport. Conditions typical for the Oregon Coast with occasional drizzle early the first morning then ground fog. The second morning no drizzle and intermittent ground fog afforded opps for a few clear shots of the puffins and friends on the Rock.

genefixer

A couple more shots of these crazy looking birds. BTW, the puffins are high enough up that to get a decent angle I resorted to the 2X TC remembering to stop down the lens a bit for sharpness.

Substitution please

genefixer

Should have posted this in the beginning..

Here is Haystack Rock. If you zoom in a bit on the top third of the rock you might see the number of birds hanging around...

Tim Kuhn
Total Posts: 45414

Uggg, I have to get down there

Nice work Mike! Man I would like to see them.

Great job with the 2x. You even have a couple of murres in there just for spice.

Tim

genefixer

Tim Kuhn wrote:
Uggg, I have to get down there

Nice work Mike! Man I would like to see them.

Great job with the 2x. You even have a couple of murres in there just for spice.

Tim

Tim

I knew these puffins would light your fire!!

Thanks for looking

Mike

Dick on Aruba
Total Posts: 4913

Some very nice captures

GAREN
Total Posts: 8767

Nice set Mike

Garen

genefixer

GAREN wrote:
Nice set Mike

Garen

Garen

Thanks much man!

Mike

Rob Tillyer
Total Posts: 13977

Very nice Mike. I take it from your use of the 2X that you are not allowed to approach to close?

Rob

Karl Witt
Total Posts: 33093

Now that looks like a place to watch the sunset and stroll the beach! Cool place to be Mike and even better if you can find puffins hanging out. #1 shot shows a fluffy juvi of some type top center of image? Looks like a nice mix of birds to observe and fairly concentrated. Good work again with the 2x!

Karl

genefixer

Rob Tillyer wrote:
Very nice Mike. I take it from your use of the 2X that you are not allowed to approach to close?

Rob

Rob

You can get closer but you lose the angle. Those birds are way up there. 100 ft or so!!

thanks for looking

Mike

genefixer

Karl Witt wrote:
Now that looks like a place to watch the sunset and stroll the beach! Cool place to be Mike and even better if you can find puffins hanging out. #1 shot shows a fluffy juvi of some type top center of image? Looks like a nice mix of birds to observe and fairly concentrated. Good work again with the 2x!

Karl

Karl

Thanks again buddy!

Mike

anthony whitmo
Total Posts: 13292

Hey Mike,

I had heard there were tufted puffins here on the West Coast somewhere but much further North than NorCal. Nice to see someone post some puffins from the opposite coast.
There has to be a good location to get some GREAT closeups of these guys here on the West Coast. I'll continue researching!! One of these days !!

really nice job given the conditions of a bird I've never seen posted here before. Lots of the Atlantic Variety but none of the Tufted. Your the first

Your landscape shots are fantastic. You did a super job on these too and really great job on the tufted with the 2x

Ant

genefixer

anthony whitmo wrote:
Hey Mike,

I had heard there were tufted puffins here on the West Coast somewhere but much further North than NorCal. Nice to see someone post some puffins from the opposite coast.
There has to be a good location to get some GREAT closeups of these guys here on the West Coast. I'll continue researching!! One of these days !!

really nice job given the conditions of a bird I've never seen posted here before. Lots of the Atlantic Variety but none of the Tufted. Your the first

Your landscape shots are fantastic. You did a super job on these too and really great job on the tufted with the 2x

Ant

Ant

What you smokin' man!!

Cannon Beach, Oregon is on the West Coast!!

Mike

P.S. Okay I will give you the benefit of the doubt and accept your diction and accept that you know where Oregon is!!

Karl Witt
Total Posts: 33093

genefixer wrote:
anthony whitmo wrote:
Hey Mike,

Ant

Ant

What you smokin' man!!

Cannon Beach, Oregon is on the West Coast!!

Mike

P.S. Okay I will give you the benefit of the doubt and accept your diction and accept that you know where Oregon is!!

Mike, don't cut him any slack! He must think you are a world traveler Geeez does he even know who you are, ANT................helloooooooooooooo

I am worried about him, Atlantic and Pacific are so close together I guess it is easy to get confused.

Karl

Herb Houghton
Total Posts: 22138

Nice set Mike and congrats on the tufted, I've never seen them either on this forum. I missed my puffin trip in Maine this year, but I'll get them next July for sure. Nice shots of the rock too.
Herb

genefixer

Herb Houghton wrote:
Nice set Mike and congrats on the tufted, I've never seen them either on this forum. I missed my puffin trip in Maine this year, but I'll get them next July for sure. Nice shots of the rock too.
Herb

Herb

Thanks and good luck next July!!

Mike

Ed Robertson
Total Posts: 8944

I was just there and it was foggy Darn. Great Job Mike. My Wife and I are meeting Bonnie Block at Port Townsen Saturday to go out on a Puffin Cruise. I did get some shots at the New Port Aqarium but captive Ed

genefixer

Ed Robertson wrote:
I was just there and it was foggy Darn. Great Job Mike. My Wife and I are meeting Bonnie Block at Port Townsen Saturday to go out on a Puffin Cruise. I did get some shots at the New Port Aqarium but captive Ed

Ed

Yes, fog is frequently a problem on the OR coast. I got lucky especially the second morning. No bright sun really but at least little ground fog.

thanks for looking

Mike

tfoltz
Total Posts: 19176

I love the puffins and what a landscape shot

Tim

2       end