Post Your Set Up!
/forum/topic/780820/16

1       2       3              16      
       18              26       27       end

Sharks123
Total Posts: 1578

My new setup ;

[color=#CC0000][size=5]Nikon D5000 + Sigma 150mm Macro + Nissin Di622 Mark 2 + Ev Yapımı Ring Flaş[/size][/color]

[center]

gfinlayson
Total Posts: 983

Nice setup and photos. Any chance of a how to for the construction of your ring light?

Graeme

Yakim Peled
Total Posts: 16903

Guys, your creativity is amazing, no less. But wouldn't something like this be as efficient, especially for a DIY-challenged person like me?

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Sharks123

gfinlayson wrote:
Nice setup and photos. Any chance of a how to for the construction of your ring light?

Graeme

Thanks

http://www.diyphotography.net/super-detailed-diy-ring-flash-how-to-video

Dennis M 1064
Total Posts: 424

rnickl wrote:
Thanks Kenny.

I went and grabbed a couple shots to contribute to the thread also.
Here's my D200 with a stack of ProOptic tubes behind the Sigma 105mm. The flash is a SB-400 with some "fun foam" and a recycled Altoids tin for a diffuser. I cut the front and back out so I can open the front of the tin and change the diffuser material in a couple seconds. Functionally it's good but I still need to find a diffuser material I'm happy with, for now is a coffee filter

Rick

Not that there isn't a thousand choices, here is another one for you. I used to have a large sheet of whithe 'RipStop' material I bought off a roll (bolt?) from a discount fabric store in L.A. I would make a tent over my subject, like a softbox in bright sun. You could get a "swatch" of it, likely for free and try it out. It is really durable and makes some nice light.

You could also look at an old army surplus store. See if you could find some real parachute material. You could either rig a tent, or just put a piece over your flash rig. That may make for some nice light as well. We used a section of parachute and made a smoker tent during a land survival exercise in the Navy. Smoked fish, smoked frog and smoked snake is pretty good after a few days of eating palmetto shoots!

Dennis M 1064
Total Posts: 424

jwkramer wrote:
HOLY SH-T. I had no friggin' idea you could cross your eyes and make those 3D. I'm blown away. How dumb I must be!!!! I thought you needed some kind of glasses to view them.

Now I'm even more impressed with that rig!!!!!!

-Jim

, me too! How cool is that?!!!!!!!!

denis55
Total Posts: 3132

DeVil wrote:
Mine diffuser for canon macro flash MT-24EX represent combinacion of diffuser's made by @Dalantech, @SteB1 and OrionMystery.
I used JJC-FC-26U Flash Diffuser + Gary Fong Puffer (hot glued them together), vellum paper - bubble wrap "sandwich" and plastic holder (cut from the 0,5l Coca Cola bottle).

MT-24EX and MP-E65 (1:1)
[/IMG

MT-24EX and MP-E65 (5:1)

Here are the results

wow! i really like this set-up.
i,ve just acquired an MPE-65,and MT-24,and have both the stofens,and puffers,which i,ll hot glue together.now i need a plastic holder,so i can play around with packing foam,and vellum paper which i have lots of.thanks to everyone on here for sharing their diffusion techniques.

denis

ziggy25
Total Posts: 68

Sharks123 wrote:
gfinlayson wrote:

Graeme

Thanks

That link is dead.

turtleman9100
Total Posts: 29

Has anyone used the adjustable, friction power arms in their setup for holding their flash? I ordered one off of ebay this week to incorporate into my macro set up and was wondering how strong they were and how others incorporated them into their setups....

smccann
Total Posts: 329

They are great, provides you get one with the teeth in the middle. Here is my setup:

turtleman9100
Total Posts: 29

Thanks Smccann. Thats a nice setup. How does it work for you as far as ease of use?

smccann
Total Posts: 329

It is ok... I now have the same basic idea mounted on a 5" Arca rail, so I can more rapidly adjust for subject distance. All the same caveats as any system apply, namely that proximity softens the light, but steepens the falloff. I would say that a 1 light setup may be easier to deploy and definitely lightyer to hold, so perhaps it is a better idea. I will keep fooling around with this for a while anyhow, to see how it can best be used.

Sharks123

ziggy25 wrote:
Sharks123 wrote:
gfinlayson wrote:

Graeme

Thanks

That link is dead.

Works for me

Sharks123

My 2 new macro setup ;

+++++++

High Magnification Setup ;

Nikon D5000 + Sigma 150mm Macro + Reverse Nikon 50mm F/1.8D + Nissin Di622 Mark 2 + Home Made Flash Bracket + Rime Lite Midi Softbox

frans_vdm
Total Posts: 295

I've just made a few tests of ​​a new camera setup for next year 2013. Camera is the Olympus E-EPL3, a DIY adaptor to connect the camera on my VS14s fast shutter housing and the Nikkor AF105/2.8D Macro lens. The DIY adaptor is optimized for best working distance between macro object and the frontside of the lens. The EPL3 camera does not weigh much. The external VS14s shutter has a shutter-lag of 3.5 msec. The detection of an insect in-flight at very closeup distance works via a lasersignal and a 128 pixels line sensor . Detection-lag only near 100 usec.
Picture of the test unit:

Olympus E-EPL3 + DIY adaptor+VS14s shutter 309634 by fotoopa, on Flickr

A few pictures how to make the adaptor for the Olympus camera:

Milling of the adapter 309616 by fotoopa, on Flickr

Milling of the adapter 309623 by fotoopa, on Flickr

Frans.

CWTC
Total Posts: 1

This thread is incredibly useful! I've just bought my first camera (Canon 600D) and Close-up and Macro is what I want to do.

Thank you all for so much info.

orionmystery
Total Posts: 8470

Not my rig but this is what I would do if i have a 90mm/100mm/105mm macro lens.

7D, Tamron SP90, DIY bracket (FMMB - front mounted macro bracket) and concave diffuser i.e similar to mine but adapted for longer focal length and working distance.

IMG_4596 by Kurt / Hock Ping GUEK (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Sample images:

_MG_5062 copy by Kurt / Hock Ping GUEK (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

_MG_5057 copy by Kurt / Hock Ping GUEK (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Complete detail here.

dennisgibson
Total Posts: 4130

Yakim Peled wrote:
My son also loves these creatures. Macro lens (60/2.8) but of course, not macro distance. Just close up.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

My daughter loves them too. I bought Praying Mantis eggs on ebay this Spring and put them around the yard. They all hatched in June and I had hundreds of them around the yard. It's not creepy like it sounds. They really blend in with the environment but if you walk slowly around and really look in the garden and in the bushes you can find them. They get big too! And they are really friendly and like to climb on you. Unfortunately, they're all starting to croak with the cold weather here in Boston. I'm going to walk around the yard and look for their eggs. If I don't find any I'll just buy more on ebay

e6filmuser
Total Posts: 6631

As the light of Devil's setup will cover an area in excess of 100 x the diameter of the subject, this must be mainly to eliminate light fall-off.

Harold

orionmystery
Total Posts: 8470

My friend Hisham came out with this most creative way of using a ringflash.

Better light and no more weird (or cool) catch lights in jumping spider's eyes.

His macro rigs consists of Pentax K5, SMC Pentax D FA Macro 100mm F2.8 WR3, Pentax AF160C Macro Ring Flash. However, instead of using the ring flash the way it is intended to be, i.e mounted onto the front of the lens, this is what he does. The images here should be self explanatory!

Sample images:

More details here.

1       2       3              16      
       18              26       27       end