Why Go To Yosemite (UPDATE)
/forum/topic/743001/3

1       2       3      
       5       end

TBannor
Total Posts: 960

Ya gotta ask, what's the motivation to fake it? An evil plot by the Denair Chamber of Commerce to get you to go there to see for yourself? And, just because you can't see a valley floor through haze on a particular day doesn't mean a person in the valley can't see the peak you're standing on.

Greg Campbell
Total Posts: 1358

Steve Sieren wrote:
Greg, in your example, is it even to scale? Is it 2 images old images blended together to show how things line up? Does half dome look even slightly as big from a 400mm taken on the Diablo range?

400mm
Nowhere on that page is the lens discussed. All it says is "on a glass plate." I'm assuming that someone used a relatively small scope to take the picture, one equipped with a plate camera and the ability to point to a slightly negative altitude.

Maybe on one of the high mtns in the Diablo Range but from the floor of the central valley? It's definitely one of those shots that needs to be proven.

So, do you believe the Mt. Hamilton shot, or not?

As for proof of visibility from areas in the central valley, well, how much do you need? Scroll up a few posts to see evosia's gob of pictures. Do all these 'need to be proven' ?

Why is is so difficult for several of you folks to consider the possibility?

The guy in the picture was on a lunch break from working in Curry Village, he just teleported through that magic 400mm lens.

This was taken with a focal length of about 100mm, how high up is the far mtns? How far back or how high do you have to be to see half dome?

PS, it's not a master piece, I'm only human.

Remember that the valley, while wide, will also be radically foreshortened due to the angle of view, as well as the curvature of the Earth. The thin band of haze just shy of the coastal ranges could easily conceal tens of miles of valley floor.

Greg Campbell

TBannor wrote:
Ya gotta ask, what's the motivation to fake it? An evil plot by the Denair Chamber of Commerce to get you to go there to see for yourself?

Dude! The Denair Tourism Bureau will not be amused to see you making these sorts of revealing statements in public! I'd load the 12 gauge and double check that all your doors are locked before going to bed tonight!

Not that these actions will do you any good. Those Denarians are RUTHLESS! (It's been nice knowing you!)

TBannor
Total Posts: 960

They'll have to get through a monster blizzard tonight and tomorrow. No worries.

Greg Campbell wrote:
TBannor wrote:
Ya gotta ask, what's the motivation to fake it? An evil plot by the Denair Chamber of Commerce to get you to go there to see for yourself?

Dude! The Denair Tourism Bureau will not be amused to see you making these sorts of revealing statements in public! I'd load the 12 gauge and double check that all your doors are locked before going to bed tonight!

Not that these actions will do you any good. Those Denarians are RUTHLESS! (It's been nice knowing you!)

xato
Total Posts: 65

This is interesting. Go onto heywhatsthat and apparently you can generate a map of points that are visible from any particular point in the US. You have to use the visibility cloak button (no this has nothing to do with Romulans and Klingons). Note that I haven't tried this myself.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/trimmoos/3662612548/

or really large:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/trimmoos/3662612548/sizes/o/

http://www.heywhatsthat.com/faq.html

Warren

Greg Campbell

Here's YET ANOTHER lively discussion of the topic, with several more pictures, including one take with a cheap-ish digital P/S!

http://supertopo.com/climbing/thread.php?topic_id=1061402

Xato. Yes, that site rocks, although I must say the Cloak button was a severe let down. I was REALLY hoping that I'd become invisible.

Steve Sieren
Total Posts: 1798

Just wanted to see the proof!

Why hasn't anyone shot a reflection shot from Lake McClure? Go now!

anorphirith
Total Posts: 1117

you can also do a simple flickr search:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23457900@N05/4307009929/

b.a. fog
Total Posts: 4

i've seen it myself. even showed on garmin topo map how it's possible from the spot in denair n 37.54160, w 120.73720.

and here's my poor attempt at taking shots. i came a day too late last year, as smog was building up in the valley again. with a 70-200mm + 2TC.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12442123@N00/3340022135/sizes/l/

and the topo outline from denair to top of half dome. you can do it yourself if you have a topo map program

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12442123@N00/3340022715/sizes/l/

Geotripper
Total Posts: 1

Hi everyone! I was wondering why an old blog post was getting so much action tonight, and I see that Butterflysis linked to my Half Dome picture at http://geotripper.blogspot.com/2009/11/got-my-own-shot-this-time-half-dome.html

That is in fact Half Dome in the picture, taken from close to Keyes Road and Oakdale Waterford Highway. I have 4 or 5 others showing the same thing (with the same low quality). I've lived here 20 years, and never thought I could see it until I knew where to look. I've seen a few more times on clear days as well.

Henry W
Total Posts: 6845

OK! Alright already!
I hate to admit I was wrong. It must be real.

But on the brighter side I sure found some cool sites like heywhatsthat,com.

Greg Campbell

Henry W wrote:
OK! Alright already!
I hate to admit I was wrong. It must be real.

But on the brighter side I sure found some cool sites like heywhatsthat,com.

Is it such a horrible thing to be wrong once in a while?

Doug Otto
Total Posts: 2492

Greg Campbell wrote: Is it such a horrible thing to be wrong once in a while?

I'll letcha know sometime.

evosia
Total Posts: 207

Damn, maybe it wasn't such a good idea to prove this is true. Instead of just a few "true believers," now there's going to be a ton of photographers heading to Denair to get this shot.

Ah well, it'll be good for the local economy.

Greg Campbell

Doug Otto wrote:

"Sorry, but no."

Doug Otto wrote:

Greg Campbell wrote: Is it such a horrible thing to be wrong once in a while?

I'll letcha know sometime.

Is that to say you're still in denial?

Doug Otto
Total Posts: 2492

Greg Campbell wrote:

How do you know that I wasn't responding to this post?

Jeffrey wrote:
Obviously a fake.

Greg Campbell

Doug Otto wrote:
Greg Campbell wrote:

How do you know that I wasn't responding to this post?

Jeffrey wrote:
Obviously a fake.

Suuuuuuure you were!

tandlh
Total Posts: 632

I think this is the most discussion I've seen over a really bad photo. But perhaps I'm still miffed that my attempt at getting a discussion going about Ansel Adams was sentenced to death in the Miscellaneous Forum. If only I had included a photo perhaps it would have been left alone in the Landscape Forum. But hey, what right did I have to think that a discussion about Ansel Adams belonged here. But I digress, carry on....

Greg Campbell

tandlh wrote:
I think this is the most discussion I've seen over a really bad photo. But perhaps I'm still miffed that my attempt at getting a discussion going about Ansel Adams was sentenced to death in the Miscellaneous Forum. If only I had included a photo perhaps it would have been left alone in the Landscape Forum. But hey, what right did I have to think that a discussion about Ansel Adams belonged here. But I digress, carry on....

Hey, just be thankful that the Pixel Peepers and Gear Dweebs haven't jumped in!
They'd be moaning and whining about how 'soft' HD is, and lecturing "I would have used my 600mm, f1.4, LLL for that shot."

Whatever your Ansel thread is really about, just title it "Ansel said, 'Nikon Sucks'" and post it in one of the equipment forums. That will generate some traffic!

In the meantime, go ahead and post the AA thread here!

Chaz
Total Posts: 1191

Now that some straggling "flat earthers" are getting religion , I'll repeat what I said at one point last year after examining the very convincing evidence that the big rock can be seen - CASE CLOSED.

1       2       3      
       5       end