rev 50 revisited.
/forum/topic/663112/2

1       2      
3
       4              10       11       end

who me
Registered: Oct 09, 2004
Total Posts: 1897
Country: United States

Anyone that uses a reversed Canon FD 50mm out there, I have a question. Do you have any method for holding the sprung lever in the position that allows the aperture ring to work manually. I used a paperclip as a temporary solution for about 5 minutes but I want a more viable solution.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks



Tom Harpstead
Registered: Jul 08, 2007
Total Posts: 940
Country: United States

Who Me

I cut a hole in the rear cover. When the cover is attached it does a nice job of keeping the spring leaver in the aperture control mode. Also it does offer some some protection of the rear element, and possibly some form of shade.

Thomas



who me
Registered: Oct 09, 2004
Total Posts: 1897
Country: United States

Thomas, I was thinking about getting a rear lens cover and doing just that to see if it will work. Thank you for confirming that it will work. How large of a hole did you cut out. I would assume larger than the rear element size but not the full diameter of the rear cap.



Tom Hicks
Registered: Feb 16, 2003
Total Posts: 23147
Country: United States

who me wrote:
Thomas, I was thinking about getting a rear lens cover and doing just that to see if it will work. Thank you for confirming that it will work. How large of a hole did you cut out. I would assume larger than the rear element size but not the full diameter of the rear cap.


Here is a shot of a Canon factory cap it wil lgive you an idea of how large a hole you might want to make.








adamfilip
Registered: Dec 09, 2004
Total Posts: 582
Country: Canada

I have been using a 70-200 2.8 non is with a canon 500D closeup filter
and ive been getting good results

I do have a 50 1.4 and I just tried to hold it against the body of my camera

I took two crappy shots to see how close it gets compared to the 70-200 setup
and im surprised see below my two crappy shots

70-200 2.8 with 500D closeup - max








50 1.4 rev on 40D






Working distance on the 70-200 is much better (12") compared to the 50 rev (3")


who me
Registered: Oct 09, 2004
Total Posts: 1897
Country: United States

Tom, thanks for the shot of the hole in the cover. I am going out tomorrow to get another lens cover that I can hack up. I don't want to use my current one. And your Canon lens looks a little older than mine.



Tom Hicks
Registered: Feb 16, 2003
Total Posts: 23147
Country: United States

who me wrote:
Tom, thanks for the shot of the hole in the cover. I am going out tomorrow to get another lens cover that I can hack up. I don't want to use my current one. And your Canon lens looks a little older than mine.


You are right this is an older FL lens , the FD's work best with the little hood attached for ease of f stop control.



Alf Beharie
Registered: Apr 18, 2007
Total Posts: 834
Country: United Kingdom

Jim Barnaby wrote:
Lauriek

Can you ( or anyone ) suggest where to get a 4/3s reversing adapter? I have been looking but the closest I can find is a Om reversing adapter that I would have to mount onto my OM-4/3s adapter.

I'm hoping to use it on my 50mm 1.8 or 28mm f 2.8.

Thanks
Jim


Use an M42 reversing ring with a filter thread to match your lens and then you can mount your reversed lens via an M42-4/3rds adapter and use cheapo M42 extension rings as well if you wish.



who me
Registered: Oct 09, 2004
Total Posts: 1897
Country: United States

Ok, I finally have been having some fun with my Rev. 50mm with motivation from this thread and the fine advice from many.
Here is a nice garden spider. The best of about 30 shots hand held.
Shot with my 20D and FD 50mm lens reversed.
Spider is about 1" long
f16
1/40th
on camera pop up flash
hand held
converted from RAW to JPEG, resized and minor tweaks







Techuser
Registered: May 19, 2008
Total Posts: 186
Country: Brazil

mananetwork wrote:
How do you reverse a lens on a point and shoot, don't they already have a lens on it?

They do, I just hold the 44mm unattached in front of the camera lens



fredv
Registered: Apr 13, 2005
Total Posts: 836
Country: United States

this shoot is a hoot..... THANKS





BRAVO Tom


rocco61
Registered: Jan 14, 2007
Total Posts: 2787
Country: Italy

Excellent series



chupacabra31
Total Posts: 3013
Country: United States

Can you recommend a specific 50mm to reverse for a canon eos 1dII mount (preferably the most affordable but not sacrificing image quality too much)? These are spectacular images! You should be extremely proud!



Tom Hicks
Registered: Feb 16, 2003
Total Posts: 23147
Country: United States

chupacabra31 wrote:
Can you recommend a specific 50mm to reverse for a canon eos 1dII mount (preferably the most affordable but not sacrificing image quality too much)? These are spectacular images! You should be extremely proud!


follow the link and look at the magnification differences between the different 50's then pic the one you want , all can be had for under 40 $ on e bay.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/619903/0?keyword=rev,lens,s#5473004



Classicam
Registered: Jan 31, 2005
Total Posts: 182
Country: United States

Great photos. I like insect eyes--they are the original pixels. I'm glad I have old fashioned analog RGB eyes--with diopters.



Bifurcator
Registered: Oct 22, 2008
Total Posts: 9247
Country: Japan

Awesome shots! Great PP! Nice tutorial at http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/619903/ too!

Thank you!

I like the spiders best! Especially the last one!
Are those Raybans or Okleys?
Such a cute little codger.

The flies as George Carlin would say, are at least as interesting as golf.
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=AbSRCjG-VLk



jesphoto
Registered: Aug 14, 2005
Total Posts: 631
Country: United States

I tried the reverse 50 tonight for the first time and was able to take some photos. Is there a way to control the DOF (would like it to be wider) and extend the focus distance (I have to get about 6 inches from the subject for it to be in focus)? Note, I don't have a reverse ring yet...just holding the lens up to the camera (20d). Thanks for all the good info here!!



Tom Hicks
Registered: Feb 16, 2003
Total Posts: 23147
Country: United States

jesphoto wrote:
I tried the reverse 50 tonight for the first time and was able to take some photos. Is there a way to control the DOF (would like it to be wider) and extend the focus distance (I have to get about 6 inches from the subject for it to be in focus)? Note, I don't have a reverse ring yet...just holding the lens up to the camera (20d). Thanks for all the good info here!!



DOF is DOF be it at 2to1 with a rev 50 or 28mm , or 100macro lens and tubes or a 180mm with tubes or extender. 6" is great wait till you get to 3x and have a working distance of less than an inch. that's Macro.

Keep trying it can take weeks and weeks and weeks to get good.



jesphoto
Registered: Aug 14, 2005
Total Posts: 631
Country: United States

Thanks Tom



Brenton Biggs
Registered: Mar 07, 2007
Total Posts: 4834
Country: United States

Simply excellent images Tom!!!



1       2      
3
       4              10       11       end