Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3721

1       2       3              3721      
       3723              4531       4532       end

Tim Adams
Total Posts: 2887

FlyingPhotog wrote:
Class Of '42

I like, but the dreaded canopy cover strikes again.

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4775

Dunno if they covered them in the '40s or not...

<shrug>

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 19264

BTW, anyone ever stalled one of those beauties? Absolutely no warning, then you're looking just about straight down. Very exciting. Killed a lot of students in the pattern.

FlyingPhotog

JWilsonphoto wrote:
I think they were a dime a dozen back in the day and covers weren't even a thought.............

Probably nearly every one of those was being flown every day...

Awesome!

Wrei
Total Posts: 2939

Covers...Ugh!!! We use to cover our F-102 and F-101s every night before we left. Dew would creep into the radar and canopy causing failures. Makes you wonder how they maintained pressurization back then. The F-102 cover encased the radome and radar panels (much like a condom) in the front fuselage and then over the canopy. It was at least 15' long. Think straddling the top of the fuselage in a 20-30 mph wind pulling them on by yourself and worse for the TF-102. YUK.

JWilsonphoto

Hey Guys and Gals,

I've been asked, due to the collective stature, and the obvious cohesiveness of our group here, to post a couple of questions relating to ISAP. Feel free to answer them in a pm if you'd like. First, know that you're not going to hurt my feelings, this is purely objective, informational stuff and your opinions and suggestions are valued.

ISAP membership continues to grow at a steady pace. Candidly, symposium attendance has been down for the last couple of years. They are extremely expensive to organize and pull off, and it's always a gamble, unless we have something like a Red Flag, then it's an overload. There will be more Red Flags, there will be more El Centro's, but obviously we can't pull those off every year. Personally, I believe that the symposiums offer much more in the way of education and inspiration than they ever have, not to mention the opportunity to get into the air and photograph. Based upon those factors, I would think attendance would continue to grow. The question in here is, why do you think we face diminished attendance? Is it economic factors, is it lack of interest in the general speaker line up? Is it the fact that tutorials can be had online for a lot less than the cost of attending a symposium?

I've been co chair for over two years, it's no secret that they have been tumultuous years in the history of ISAP. Larry Grace's vision of ISAP has always been one of education, networking, and giving members the opportunity to go wherever in the craft they want to go. I've said it many times before, Larry has a heart for ISAP and it's membership and I've watched him work tirelessly on behalf of both. I know well that life pulls us all many different directions, demands on our time, our financial commitments, our attention, are legion. That being said, in my opinion, ISAP experiences one of the lowest member participation, loyalty rates of any organization I've been involved in. Yes people join, people renew, but when our members capture outstanding imagery, even from an ISAP event, they are much more prone to scramble and post it somewhere other than the ISAP website, or to even mention ISAP. Please don't take this in an accusatory vein, it's not that at all. We just have not been able to gin up a spirit of pride of membership, pride of association, to the extent that our members are motivated to jump in and participate, and promote the organization, why do you think that is?

You all know that I'm a guy with lots of irons in the fire, and that is more true now than ever before. The commitment for a board member is generally two years, so my tenure is getting long in the tooth. I think each of us on the board would like to exit thinking that our efforts contributed to creating the organization that the members desire. While on the surface, our growing membership numbers would indicate we've been successful, all of the factors above make me wonder. I think we here at MA2A are much more committed to our family within, as compared to how the average ISAP member feels about his or her organization. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to why that might be? We have long said that MA2A is what it is and that it can't be deliberately duplicated, but why do you suppose ISAP can't seem to fire up at least a small flicker of that spirit and loyalty?

PM me with your thoughts and I'll formulate them into an anonymous, generic treatise on ISAP as it stands today.

Go4Long
Total Posts: 2012

so...who needs a new photo ship?

http://www.controller.com/listingsdetail/aircraft-for-sale/LOCKHEED-HERCULES/1957-LOCKHEED-HERCULES/1237833.htm

Gary Sommer
Total Posts: 341

I worked in a shop in the Navy for a while that had an E2-A which uses the same engine/prop system as the Herc. We had lockers from one side of the hanger to the other full of special tools required to work on the engines and the constant speed props. It would probably cost as much as the plane to by the tools for it.

carrg1954
Total Posts: 1262

FlyingPhotog wrote:
Class Of '42

thanks, I like these little planes...

Julian_lee
Total Posts: 7

nice!!

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4082

[deleted by author]

Shaggy Wolf
Total Posts: 629

Huh...my sister's graduation is in Virginia...500 miles from me, and it's the same weekend as the NAS Oceana air show. I think I need to take a side trip while I'm down there

JWilsonphoto

An opportunity just came over the horizon, May 17/18, DFW area, air to air involving a Mustang, P40, Wildcat, and possibly a P 38. Six slots available, roughly B25 pricing structure. Let me know if you're interested and I 'll hop on it.

"That is all! "

FlyingPhotog

Last Light .. First Contact

Go4Long
Total Posts: 2012

A significantly slower flyer.

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 2444

I've got a Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Tilt-Shift Lens in my future that I can actually put to work. Jim's and SteveZ's praise have convinced me of its value. I've been doing some research and came across this interesting article on using the 17mm with a 1.4x converter. Sounds promising and is sure cheaper than having both 17mm and a 24mm. Any thoughts from those who have experience with the 17 TS-E?

http://digidaan.wordpress.com/2010/06/13/canon-17mm-ts-with-1-4x-converter-vs-canon-24mm-ts/

FlyingPhotog

The Original "Federal Express"
C-130J from VMGR-352 "Raiders" at NAF El Centro

FlyingPhotog

Prowling For Gold
Grumman EA-6B from VAQ-129 "Vikings" chases the sunset at NAF El Centro

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4082

Jeff W. wrote:
I've got a Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Tilt-Shift Lens in my future that I can actually put to work. Jim's and SteveZ's praise have convinced me of its value. I've been doing some research and came across this interesting article on using the 17mm with a 1.4x converter. Sounds promising and is sure cheaper than having both 17mm and a 24mm. Any thoughts from those who have experience with the 17 TS-E?

http://digidaan.wordpress.com/2010/06/13/canon-17mm-ts-with-1-4x-converter-vs-canon-24mm-ts/

I never thought of using this combo; never even suspected it would work. But how cool is it that the 17+1.4 combo is optically better than the 'old' 24mm T/S? That said, with a 5D3 image I'd probably just crop the frame from the bare 17mm T/S or move a tad closer to my subject. In my experience, though, when you need the 17mm T/S, you really need all the wide you can get.

As a final note, you have to admit that the combo sitting on a tripod would make a 'Wow!' client impression.

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 2444

stevez wrote:
I never thought of using this combo; never even suspected it would work. But how cool is it that the 17+1.4 combo is optically better than the 'old' 24mm T/S? That said, with a 5D3 image I'd probably just crop the frame from the bare 17mm T/S or move a tad closer to my subject. In my experience, though, when you need the 17mm T/S, you really need all the wide you can get.

As a final note, you have to admit that the combo sitting on a tripod would make a 'Wow!' client impression.

Thanks for the input Steve. While I had not thought of it, it sure would be impressive on a tripod

VMA-311, McDonnel Douglas AV-8B Harrier II, @ Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport (KIWA).

1       2       3              3721      
       3723              4531       4532       end