Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3720

1       2       3              3720      
       3722              4396       4397       end

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 16420

2,500 captures today with the 4x4 bolted on, haven't found a soft one yet.

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 3513

Leviathor wrote:
FlyingPhotog wrote:
From the "I Wonder If This Can Work?" file:
33 frame stitched pano of Bodie:

This is great, Jay. It's been too many years since I've been, but do the buildings have a lean, or is the horizon tilting a bit? Even if they are actually leaning, I would be tempted to see what they look like "corrected," with the added bonus of that left hill getting a bit taller, so the eye rolls right through the frame even more dramatically.

I'm guessing that the camera was pointed uphill a bit or the pan head wasn't quite level: under those circumstances stitching a pano can leave you with a subtly sinusoidal horizon line.

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4602

Um, I was the "pan head" so I guess that's probably the cause...

Hard to stay completely registered through 200 degrees, by hand.

Tim Adams
Total Posts: 2674

I always wanted to back to Bodie now that I shoot digital. I was there in my film days.

FlyingPhotog

Never Keep A Lady Waiting...

Razor17
Total Posts: 351

stevez wrote:
A Jug from the Champlin collection, now in the Museum of Flight, Seattle.

I read on another board that Mr. Champlin departed the pattern yesterday. Blue skies Sir...

stevezzzz

I'm finding it difficult to post-process the A2A shots from last Friday. A satisfactory color balance seems elusive, for one thing. Here's one attempt. The first frame is SOOC with a little clarity and lens profile correction in Lightroom. The second one is the CS6 treatment:

1) Separate the airframe from the background on its own layer.
2) Color balance the two layers individually.
3) Curves adjustment layer and Unsharp Mask on the airframe.
4) Edit out the T-6's stabilizer.
4) Curves adjustment layer and a bit of Motion Blur on the background, no sharpening.

I'm still not completely happy with it, but it's better than it was when I pushed the sliders in LR4 without resorting to CS6. Thoughts? Suggestions?

I'm sending this one to Jay to see what he can do with it; I look forward to comparing his rework to mine (and will share it here).

stevezzzz

FlyingPhotog wrote:

It's almost impossible to keep a straight horizon when you shoot panos hand-held. When the horizon is wavy, the verticals will wander a bit, too. In PTGui you have enough control to sort it out, but not so in the Photoshop 'Merge to Pano' function.

stevezzzz

Razor17 wrote:
stevez wrote:
A Jug from the Champlin collection, now in the Museum of Flight, Seattle.

I read on another board that Mr. Champlin departed the pattern yesterday. Blue skies Sir...

Fare thee well...

astrobrian
Total Posts: 827

Open house demo for a new tool in the arsenal.

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 16420

B17 in sepia.............

astrobrian
Total Posts: 827

Different without the covers on, looks good in sepia, has that vintage feel about it.

david russell
Total Posts: 749

The way those engines drip, it could be called: Sepia Seepage.

I like the tone of that picture.

FlyingPhotog

Slightly Behind The Three/Nine Line...

FlyingPhotog

Herd Mentality

FlyingPhotog

Relax Seattle, I Got This...

Leviathor
Total Posts: 193

stevez wrote:
FlyingPhotog wrote:

It's almost impossible to keep a straight horizon when you shoot panos hand-held. When the horizon is wavy, the verticals will wander a bit, too. In PTGui you have enough control to sort it out, but not so in the Photoshop 'Merge to Pano' function.

In my experience with a couple different stitching algorithms (PTGui preferred), it seems that they are very literal interpreters; I go out of my way to try and level horizons and make the frame as rectilinear as possible before feeding those frames to the stitcher.

stevez wrote:
I'm finding it difficult to post-process the A2A shots from last Friday. A satisfactory color balance seems elusive, for one thing. Here's one attempt. The first frame is SOOC with a little clarity and lens profile correction in Lightroom. The second one is the CS6 treatment:

1) Separate the airframe from the background on its own layer.
2) Color balance the two layers individually.
3) Curves adjustment layer and Unsharp Mask on the airframe.
4) Edit out the T-6's stabilizer.
4) Curves adjustment layer and a bit of Motion Blur on the background, no sharpening.

I'm still not completely happy with it, but it's better than it was when I pushed the sliders in LR4 without resorting to CS6. Thoughts? Suggestions?

I'm sending this one to Jay to see what he can do with it; I look forward to comparing his rework to mine (and will share it here).

Looks good Steve. I think you did a great job neutralizing the blue of the humid atmosphere and the Mustang looks superb! (Work monitor runs a bit dark.)

FlyingPhotog

Downloading Steve's file at this moment...

stevezzzz

FlyingPhotog wrote:
Downloading Steve's file at this moment...

It's a moving target, Jay: here's my latest attempt at reworking this one. Double processing in LR4, one for the background, one for the airframe. Masked layers in CS6, some more dinking around, then final tweaking back in LR4.

FlyingPhotog

Well, let's chew on these then...

Zim's Original Image as Downloaded:

My Take:

Let me preface this by saying that I do NOT trust my monitor 100%. I recently had to change from a SpyderPro 2 to a ColorMunki and I'd bet a month's rent that the CM and my system do NOT play well together. Probably going to go get the newest Spyder instead shortly.

Anywho...

So Zim already cut the Mustang out from the background which allowed me to tweak each layer separately.

First thing I did was drop a COLOR BALANCE layer on the plane and in order to pull the aluminum back towards neutral. Out of the box, the side of the mustang just in front of F9 read R164 G169 B180 so, using only the Mid Tone adjustment, I went with:
Cyan / Red: +8
Magenta / Green: -2
Yellow / Blue: -18

This pulled the WB on the fuselage to R170 G170 B173

The background layer was more of a "To Taste" kind of thing but drawing from my video days, I decided to attack the shadows and pull some blue out of those. Again, using a COLOR BALANCE layer with Shadows selected:
C/R: +4
M/G: 0
Y/B: -20

Following the provided masks, I also dropped a little Nik Viveza on each "segment" of the image (Plane / Background) which did little to nothing for the Mustang (flat light and few "textures" to draw out) but it did give the trees and houses at bottom right a little more definition.

I made an extra layer from the top of the frame down to the near shore of the far water and washed that through Silver Effex / Luminosity Layer Property to pull out the clouds just a little more.

So, in the end, the "layer cake" reads:
- Color Balance Layer for Plane
- Viveza Layer for Plane
- Plane*
- Silver Effex applied to small section including clouds and far water
- Small section including clouds and far water
- Color Balance For Background
- Viveza For Background (opacity at 50% .. I overcooked it a little so I pulled some out)
- Background Layer*
- Full Image*
(* = Steve's original layers)

Steve, I'll try and figure out how to Dropbox the full layered image back to you shortly. Or else I do a YouSendIt which I prefer.

If it were my image, once I had all of the above done, I'd probably just flatten it and then go back and do a little selective burning on Mr. Session's face and clothes (aka Faux Polarizer) in order to give him a little more presence. I'd probably work the clouds just a little harder too with a curves adjustment to make them a bit more "angry"

Comments Welcome...

1       2       3              3720      
       3722              4396       4397       end