Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3618

1       2       3              3618      
       3620              4277       4278       end

astrobrian
Total Posts: 827

Glenn Watson wrote:
BTW, selling a Skycatcher if anybody is in the market for a fun little airplane PM me.

Glenn

Spooky timing on this Glenn, I was reworking one of the A2A shots this evening.

TOPP

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 1848

Late afternoon/evening fun at KPHX...

Donald Gray
Total Posts: 2285

Hello Folks - Been a while since I popped in to MATA - getting withdrawal symptoms ...There are some awesome captures in the last 100 or so pages that I am trying to catch up on.

My old faithful walkabout lens 28~300 L is bust and in hospital - like me, a bit worn out - going to cost £240 (c$365) to get it fixed but a great CPS repair shop will have it back to me fully serviced, cleaned and calibrated - Thanks to our Rich for pointing me to Fixation, London

As most of you know, I can only get to one airshow a year now-a-days (old age creeping up on me ) I was looking looking forward to another 'White Ensign Day' at the Yeovilton air display and Photo call day with Rich and Nick followed by the usual BBQ...

I will now miss out on the show completely. I an going into hospital 15th April to let the surgeons practice carving me up and replacing the left hip before attacking the right one. I have been told that it could be 12 weeks or more before I would be back to full strength.

@ Nick & Rich ... The BBQ will still be on at my place anyway

Donald Gray

@ those with HERO 2 or 3 cameras.
I have been toying with the idea of getting one (Hero3 black) as a 'casual & general purpose' HD video camera.
I have a home brew intervalometer for my 5D2 and 20D cameras and have done some time laps stuff. But being wary of adding thousands of shutter counts and wearing them out too. That made me think of the HERO cameras.

I am interested in the slomo and time laps features for general 'fun' shooting (At 73 and a half, I am not into cycling down mountains, hang gliding, skiing or surfing, scuba etc). more like watching grass grow or paint drying type of activity )

I am not looking for 'L' IQ but would like to hear opinions of other Hero owners. Does it make for a reasonable point and shoot camera too?

futurshox
Total Posts: 2371

Hi Donald,

Sorry to hear about your impending hospital visit but I hope they patch you up ok.

GoPro cameras are good for time lapse. I made a video a while ago: http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZG6qHmOYDb0 - the ground level view is from a GoPro and the elevated view is from a 40D. I guess there is no reason you couldn't use it as a point and shoot but it is fixed at a very wide angle. They are not all that good at night either (maybe the new mark 3 models are better) so daytime shooting is your friend here.

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 16044

Welcome back Sir Donald! Sorry about your hip problems, but I understand those types of surgeries are miraculous. Keep us posted, you are in my thoughts and prayers for a smooth procedure and a speedy recovery.

Re: Hero3 cameras, yes, the image quality is pretty amazing, especially considering it's diminutive size. You only have a couple of options when it comes to focal length, so that might limit you a bit when you're used to real photography. The time lapse features are cool and fairly easy to set up and use. I'd be tempted to suggest that you get a good couple of hundred dollar point and shoot in addition to an H3, then you would be covered. My daughter Jennifer got a Nikon 1 a few months back and she loves it, but that's a bit pricier than the average P&S.

Donald Gray

Hi Lady Jo
Thanks for the feedback - I will have a look at the vid in a moment - I have read the write up on the Mk3 Black Edition and it appears that the lens selectable 'wide, medium and narrow' fields of view - I haven't seen the actual focal lengths written down but I believe the 'narrow angle' (faux telephoto) is the equiv to c18 or 21mm which seems ok-ish considering that my HTC One X mobile phone spews passable & sharpish point & shoot images with a 3mm lens!

The advertising splurge on the 3 here does seem impressive hence my interest. That said, nowt like getting a users point of view.

Thanks Jo

Donald Gray

Hi Jim
Thanks for the comment - I do have a a couple of other Canon P&S cameras (A620s usually both clamped together and electronically synchronised as a stereo thingy) - but some of the vids on the GoPro site (URL in my reply to Lady JO) have whetted the appetite.

BTW: Jo and Jim - thank you both for the good wishes re the op! Very much appreciated.

Donald Gray

Lady Jo - I love the shed video - how did you control the 'pull back' do you have a motorised dolly?

I am looking for a low cost solution (homebrew) rotator for rotational panning on time lapse...

This is one of my humble attempts at TL... I got the timeing of the music wrong - it ends a few seconds before the end of the vid.

I apologise now for the tacky count down on the start up

It was made with my 20D, stock 18-55 lens & homebrew intervalometer set at 3 seconds

MMcGrath
Total Posts: 2137

Donald,

I've seen pics on web of a hacked Ikea egg timer being used for rotating timelapse.

futurshox

http://hackaday.com/2011/09/21/build-cheap-panning-camera-mounts-for-time-lapse-photography/

Like this!

futurshox

The panning and zooming in the shed video was done in post with LRTimelapse software, which works alongside Lightroom. It is pretty slick. LRTimelapse.com

nickjohnson
Total Posts: 741

Hello Donald,
Nice to see you about the place. Very good news about the hip replacements. Now that Thea is 12 weeks + into post op recovery I can only hope that yours goes as well. In Thea's case the transformation has been wonderful – in terms of mobility the clock has been turned back at least 5 years.
Had a look at the calender and figured that you might be far enough post first op to do Yeovilton. I say that on the basis that if your fit enough to do a BBQ ….. well your fit enough to do a chair mounted airshow – and we will just get a take away for the evening. Of course Mac The Knife may just wheel you in for the second hip in exactly 12 weeks – in which case we will just have to do without you. But I will be sure to give your regards to the gent with the “grow through” hair cut.

Donald Gray

Thanks Mark and Jo for Ikea solution. the Idea looks worth exploring. I have been thinking on the lines of stepper motor but ...

@Nick: those dramatic land/seascapes you put up a few pages back are absolutely awesome. Great post processing - magic!

Good to hear Thea is on the go again after her op. Please extend greetings from Diana & I. I have a friend in France who hat the hip op last Saturday and was walking unaided 24 hours later. It believe the relief from the pain virtually instant on waking up after the carve up. (Diana won't let me ask the surgeon for a souvenir - it would be a great talking point, mounted and polished on a mahogany plinth!

The idea of a sitdown show is appealing - we will see... If I can't make it, please do forward my greeting to that folically challenges gentle(?)man.

futurshox

OK Texas folks, I think the time has come for me to either actually sell my photos online for honest to goodness actual money, or quit this photography lark altogether. (Kinda sorta). I get the occasional request from someone wanting a picture from my website and every time, I don't know how to handle it.

This is coming from someone who is fundamentally pathetic at handling money, so I guess I will let an online house do it for me. But that leads me to questions like 'which one'? Smugmug is lovely I am sure, but I do not see myself making back the $150/year they want. Has anyone used Bluemelon? They are cheaper.

I am asking Texas folks because I would like to know from scratch, 101, idiots guide to taking money for online sales of photos, please. I did find this which helps, but I still am entirely clueless about whether I need to register a business or get a sales tax license or file which kind of forms or WHAT. I mean, I need it spelled out for me in big letters, everything I need to do.

If anyone could help and would be willing to handhold a nervous wreck then you would be awesome. PM me if you like.

Thank you.

MMcGrath
Total Posts: 2137

Jo have a look at Zenfolio as well.

Go4Long
Total Posts: 1508

And smugmug sent out a notice that they are increasing their price for the pro level service...I believe they said it was going to be 250

James Eaton
Total Posts: 306

@Jo, I would definitely check out the Zenfolio recommendation. This is my 4th year of being a Zen user, and the prices are very affordable compared to similar hosting sites, when it comes to membership cost', and what you get for your $$$.

Regards, James

Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 2952

Hi Brian:
I make that photo look good!

Glenn

Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 2952

+1 on Zenfolio Jo. I've pretty much covered the $100/year fee at the Taylor 100 every year. They have an even cheaper option if you dont care to have a name.zenfolio.com rather that using your own domain name.

Glenn

1       2       3              3618      
       3620              4277       4278       end