Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3602

1       2       3              3602      
3603
       3604              4531       4532       end

Jan-Arie
Registered: Dec 24, 2005
Total Posts: 4093
Country: Netherlands

JamesG wrote:
Just tinkering to see what results I can achieve....







Very nice indeed Duxford P51D Ferocious Frankie


FlyingPhotog
Registered: May 09, 2008
Total Posts: 4775
Country: United States

Just a heads up...

Someone representing Randy Ball contacted me through Facebook and she's looking for high-res images for banners for a booth at ICAS.

Don't know about y'all, but it cost me money to go from AZ to TX so I inquired about the budget for licensing images.

Pretty sure I know how this will go...



Angry
Registered: Nov 08, 2011
Total Posts: 1216
Country: Australia

AZ to TX....
What about Ozzie to TX .....lol

Al



jforkner
Registered: Dec 02, 2008
Total Posts: 713
Country: United States

stevez wrote:
Jim noticed the more-or-less constant jitters in the Phantom II footage that I posted the other day. It's annoying, and iMovie's anti-shake processing does nothing to remove it. Can anyone recommend other, better post-processing filters for stabilizing video?

Here's another shortcoming of the system: the image below is a still shot of my rooftop solar panels. What could be causing the periodic distortion? Is this what they mean by 'jello'? The camera has a 140-degree field of view, and there's a setting I haven't tried yet to capture stills in three- or five-frame bursts (but not bracketed). Maybe this is why, and some frames will be better than others?


Jim,

The term "jello" refers to a slight undulating movement that shows up in videos, not stills. It's the bane of many multi-rotor (MR) flyers, and has recently been resolved with the advent of the brushless gimbal. These are controlled by a separate circuit board/controller to keep the camera steady and level.

Not familiar with the term "periodic distortion." Could you mean "lens distortion" that's prevalent in wide-angle lenses? If so, there's a feature in Photoshop (CS6, anyway) called the Adaptive Wide Angle filter that does a pretty good job at straightening the lines near the edge of the frame. It has a preset for the GoPro cameras, not sure about the new Phantom II camera.

If you've not done so already, suggest you spend some time on the following MR forums:
http://www.multirotorforums.com/
http://www.rcgroups.com/multirotor-talk-659/ and http://www.rcgroups.com/aerial-photography-128/


Jack



JamesG
Registered: May 26, 2002
Total Posts: 307
Country: United Kingdom

Jim, that sunrise just blew me away. Its wonderful when nature makes you stop & gasp, thanks for sharing.



JWilsonphoto
Registered: Jan 16, 2002
Total Posts: 19260
Country: United States

Good morning Jack. Thanks for the info. Zim will be interested in all that, I don't have one of those multi rotor deals. I am in line for a Movi, but I think at that price all the unwanted nuances vanish.



JWilsonphoto
Registered: Jan 16, 2002
Total Posts: 19260
Country: United States

Good morning James! Glad you liked it. Sometimes I think the most heartfelt, genuine prayer is a gasp in amazement at what God accomplishes effortlessly. My guess is, there were thousands of folks who just went to work with their heads down yesterday morning, never seeing the majestic display that was theirs for the taking. In some deep corners of the world that kind of thing is the only "Bible" people will ever see, and in those corners it is my belief that that will be more than sufficient.



stevezzzz
Registered: Aug 01, 2010
Total Posts: 4082
Country: United States

jforkner wrote:
stevez wrote:
Jim noticed the more-or-less constant jitters in the Phantom II footage that I posted the other day. It's annoying, and iMovie's anti-shake processing does nothing to remove it. Can anyone recommend other, better post-processing filters for stabilizing video?

Here's another shortcoming of the system: the image below is a still shot of my rooftop solar panels. What could be causing the periodic distortion? Is this what they mean by 'jello'? The camera has a 140-degree field of view, and there's a setting I haven't tried yet to capture stills in three- or five-frame bursts (but not bracketed). Maybe this is why, and some frames will be better than others?



Not familiar with the term "periodic distortion." Could you mean "lens distortion" that's prevalent in wide-angle lenses? If so, there's a feature in Photoshop (CS6, anyway) called the Adaptive Wide Angle filter that does a pretty good job at straightening the lines near the edge of the frame. It has a preset for the GoPro cameras, not sure about the new Phantom II camera.

If you've not done so already, suggest you spend some time on the following MR forums:
http://www.multirotorforums.com/
http://www.rcgroups.com/multirotor-talk-659/ and http://www.rcgroups.com/aerial-photography-128/


Jack


Thanks for the info, Jack (these were my questions, not Jim's). By periodic distortion I meant the still-frame equivalent of 'jello': straight vertical lines in the real world become subtly sinusoidal in photos (see my photo of the solar panel array, above).



DanNehmer
Registered: Nov 26, 2009
Total Posts: 313
Country: United States

Jim,

Love the morning sunrise. Lately I have been setting the camera down and just taking those in quietly, working for a good balance between my hobby/desire and just listening to the beauty provided.

Thanks again for sharing.

Dan



Jan-Arie
Registered: Dec 24, 2005
Total Posts: 4093
Country: Netherlands

Howdy still alive and kicking
Woke up this afternoon after a 24 hour work shift and thought lets mail the CPS guys to ask when my body is finally ready.
I delivered the body 4 working weeks ago at the CPS service center, this was the answer i got.

I will ask the Technician to finish your repair order asap.
Come on what a lousy customer service.
They told me that the waiting time for silver was something more than five days but it's already a month not pleased at all.

Now that's off my chest i want to wish you all a great weekend...



tom cardin
Registered: Mar 08, 2005
Total Posts: 1991
Country: United States

I still cherish the moment. While stuck on the Harbor Freeway, in LAed, we had a stunning Sunset. Wanting to share, I honked at the guy next to me, and he looked and look back at me, as if to say "What". His loss, but maybe it was a test, from God. I know, I passed.

Tom



FlyingPhotog
Registered: May 09, 2008
Total Posts: 4775
Country: United States

jforkner wrote:
The term "jello" refers to a slight undulating movement that shows up in videos, not stills. It's the bane of many multi-rotor (MR) flyers, and has recently been resolved with the advent of the brushless gimbal. These are controlled by a separate circuit board/controller to keep the camera steady and level.

Not familiar with the term "periodic distortion." Could you mean "lens distortion" that's prevalent in wide-angle lenses? If so, there's a feature in Photoshop (CS6, anyway) called the Adaptive Wide Angle filter that does a pretty good job at straightening the lines near the edge of the frame. It has a preset for the GoPro cameras, not sure about the new Phantom II camera.

If you've not done so already, suggest you spend some time on the following MR forums:
http://www.multirotorforums.com/
http://www.rcgroups.com/multirotor-talk-659/ and http://www.rcgroups.com/aerial-photography-128/


Jack


But given that video is nothing but a stream of stills, you will see the same effect in each frame...

Ergo, you can see "Jello" in a still shot. Hey! "Jello Shot!"



stevezzzz
Registered: Aug 01, 2010
Total Posts: 4082
Country: United States

Here's a useful primer about entry-level quadcopter aerial photography:

http://www.outdoorphotographer.com/how-to/shooting/get-above-it-all.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=OPeNewsNov_111513&start=2



Jeff W.
Registered: Feb 09, 2008
Total Posts: 2444
Country: United States

The SUV of military aviation - rode hard and still doing the job.



Rusty1
Registered: Oct 05, 2004
Total Posts: 979
Country: United States

Jeff that makes me want to fly out and buy a 5D3. Wonderful detail and great light.



JWilsonphoto
Registered: Jan 16, 2002
Total Posts: 19260
Country: United States

Faith finally got her first Cub ride yesterday evening. I'm thinking she enjoyed it.............................



JWilsonphoto
Registered: Jan 16, 2002
Total Posts: 19260
Country: United States

Earlier in the day we turned 7PC into a three seater....................



JWilsonphoto
Registered: Jan 16, 2002
Total Posts: 19260
Country: United States

Halle takes a short nap on the flight....................



Jeff W.
Registered: Feb 09, 2008
Total Posts: 2444
Country: United States

Rusty1 wrote:
Jeff that makes me want to fly out and buy a 5D3. Wonderful detail and great light.


Thanks Rusty. The 5D3 is a great camera and I'm sure you'd enjoy using one. It is even a better photographic platform if you can get Zim to train the pixels like he did on mine

Here is a B300 that our Texas members may see from time to time. I believe it is based in Midland; however, this is it departing Scottsdale late in the afternoon.



JWilsonphoto
Registered: Jan 16, 2002
Total Posts: 19260
Country: United States

What we need is a piece of ground like this, but just a little bigger to accommodate a grass strip........



1       2       3              3602      
3603
       3604              4531       4532       end