Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3600

1       2       3              3600      
       3602              4531       4532       end

pburke
Total Posts: 3003

Not my video, but I am sure the folks on this thread will appreciate it:

slow motion approach and landing at LAX, shot with a RED Epic at 4K with a Canon 800mm 5.6 lens and 1.4X Converter at 120 frames per second

that was actually his practice shot for the Shuttle landing a few hours later, which didn't turn out so well

Bill Gass
Total Posts: 4118

Why not use a video camera at 60 fps and run it slow motion ?

pburke
Total Posts: 3003

Bill Gass wrote:

Red Epic is a video camera, and 120fps is slow motion. Not sure what you're asking.

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 2444

Another Amazon order for the grandkids arrives at KPHX. Grandma is certainly getting an early start to the holidays

Bill Gass
Total Posts: 4118

pburke wrote:
Bill Gass wrote:

Red Epic is a video camera, and 120fps is slow motion. Not sure what you're asking.

Not enough coffe at six am, da, missed that.

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 19260

That's pretty cool. Dang dust on the sensor is a frustrating thing, and there isn't any cloning tool in Final Cut.

Speaking of "cool", this morning at 30 degrees………….

Flight suit, helmet, the whole nine yards, just to keep ice from critical components, if Ya know what I mean……..

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4082

Jim noticed the more-or-less constant jitters in the Phantom II footage that I posted the other day. It's annoying, and iMovie's anti-shake processing does nothing to remove it. Can anyone recommend other, better post-processing filters for stabilizing video?

Here's another shortcoming of the system: the image below is a still shot of my rooftop solar panels. What could be causing the periodic distortion? Is this what they mean by 'jello'? The camera has a 140-degree field of view, and there's a setting I haven't tried yet to capture stills in three- or five-frame bursts (but not bracketed). Maybe this is why, and some frames will be better than others?

futurshox
Total Posts: 2775

I sometimes see wriggly footage on my GoPros that looks like a moving version of your solar panel shot. Usually when the camera is attached to a canopy and at certain RPMs, I assume it's a resonance thing hitting a sweet spot. Not sure there's much to be done about it...

MMcGrath
Total Posts: 2649

Steve,

I suspect that the jitters you are getting are resonance induced vibration from the rotors that would require a gimbal unit to dampen out.

Out of interest, can you mount a gopro to that quad copter?

stevezzzz

No, Mark, you can't mount a different camera to the Phantom 2, which is a ready-to-fly, integrated system: it's got a shock-mounted gimbal and camera built-in. I guess the shock mounts aren't doing their job 100%.

SJantzphoto
Total Posts: 5

stevez wrote:
No, Mark, you can't mount a different camera to the Phantom 2, which is a ready-to-fly, integrated system: it's got a shock-mounted gimbal and camera built-in. I guess the shock mounts aren't doing their job 100%.

Steve, I use Adobe Premiere Pro. Here is a lesson on the warp stabilizer.
http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-premiere-pro-cs6/warp-stabilizer/

I also understand Adobe After Effects has some options also.

You have a nice setup. I can think of a lot of things to use that for
Steve4

SJantzphoto
Total Posts: 5

stevez wrote:
Jim noticed the more-or-less constant jitters in the Phantom II footage that I posted the other day. It's annoying, and iMovie's anti-shake processing does nothing to remove it. Can anyone recommend other, better post-processing filters for stabilizing video?

Here's another shortcoming of the system: the image below is a still shot of my rooftop solar panels. What could be causing the periodic distortion? Is this what they mean by 'jello'? The camera has a 140-degree field of view, and there's a setting I haven't tried yet to capture stills in three- or five-frame bursts (but not bracketed). Maybe this is why, and some frames will be better than others?

Steve,
The rolling shutter repair in Premiere Pro might help that also. Several options from Adobe
Steve4

Leviathor
Total Posts: 199

Here's a little something I think everyone here can appreciate:

An extraordinary code of honour

"Reg Sherren tells the remarkable story of how a WWII B-17 bomber crew made it home with the help of the enemy."

ELinder
Total Posts: 1070

Steve, Final Cut Pro X also has built in footage stabilization and rolling shutter corrections.

Erich

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4775

Wavy straight lines = Jello Effect

Vibration + Limitation of the camera/sensor and not easily corrected I'm afraid...

JWilsonphoto

Jo and Jay are correct. It's just a limitation of the technology. Nothing I have tried in any editing software has done much but cause it to look weird in another way. Now if you screw the 4x4 to that rig, up the horsepower a bit, you'd have a rock solid boat anchor……………..

I'm attaching the 4x4 to my D800 as we speak, in prep for my early evening aerial of the residence I captured this morning.

Sometimes all the pieces do fit together. I have been eyeing a site where a large new project is about to start, as I headed to lunch today I decided I'd stop by and introduce myself. Turns out all the major players had just finished walking the site. My card worked it's magic, questions popped up about how one gets images like that. Turns out all of the gentleman had a ride in a B25 on their "bucket list". I asked them to go to my site, look over my work, honor me with their business, and I'd see that the B25 box gets checked. Hopefully I'll get the aerial work based upon quality of the product, but the competition will have a little trouble coming up with a matching perk…….

stevezzzz

Well, I guess my full-boat CC subscription will start to pay its way. What's the difference between Final Cut and Premiere? Which is easier to learn for a greenhorn? All I've ever done is iMovie...

[I'll have to owe you a TOPP: I'm on an airliner whose doors are about to close...]

JWilsonphoto

Now my marketing mind is churning….How much business of all types do you think you could drum up if you just happened to have a hangar filled with a variety of rare beauties?

It will take a year or so to get the props (literally) in place, but when we're ready, we are going to throw a party for all the clients that have been so good to me over the past three decades. JR and I have been laying out the initial plans, it will be in the hangar, in amongst the birds. Great food, and musical talent of note, it'll be quite an evening, and an appropriate "thank you" to all the wonderful folks who have been so gracious to me lo these many years. I envision some radials and Merlins barking in and out throughout the gathering, checking off "Bucket List" items.

Man, this is going to be fun.

gerov
Total Posts: 9030

Leviathor wrote:
Here's a little something I think everyone here can appreciate:

An extraordinary code of honour

"Reg Sherren tells the remarkable story of how a WWII B-17 bomber crew made it home with the help of the enemy."

Remarkable. I think I found my next book.

Thanks for sharing this

futurshox
Total Posts: 2775

I have come across this story before, and it's always good to hear it again. Nice job of the video they made of this retelling. I also notice a bit of jello wriggling in their camera mounted in the nose turret...

1       2       3              3600      
       3602              4531       4532       end