Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3555

1       2       3              3555      
       3557              4529       4530       end

astrobrian
Total Posts: 827

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Good afternoon everyone. In the spirit of full disclosure, I need to tell you that the B25 mission just got scrubbed. The 25 will not be at Alliance.

Wow that is news to me as the email I got this morning made it sound like nothing was wrong and all was well for next weekend. I can tell you from the back half of Devil Dog, everything was fine that I could see after landing yesterday. Sorry if this doesn't add much but it does have me a bit perplexed.

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4082

On Friday we arose a couple of hours before dawn and drove through the darkness so we could witness the birth of the day's batch of new Parmigiano Reggiano cheese. It was a fascinating process: two men use a lot of fresh milk from the cows housed just outside the cheesery and employ steam-jacketed copper cauldrons to produce six fresh wheels of cheese over the course of about 90 mintues; and afterward we were taken to see the aging rooms where the huge wheels spend between 12 and 16 months before being shipped all over the world. Then we had a well-earned breakfast of fresh yoghurt, cheese, salumi and the local flat bread called 'tigelle'.

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 19252

Hi Brian,

This had nothing to do with the readiness of DD and crew, and everything to do with a very influential client's schedule. Unavoidable, just one of those things.

JWilsonphoto

stevez wrote:
stevez wrote:
JWilsonphoto wrote:
Sorry Zim,

What does that do to your arrival plans? I'd send the Pilatus for you, but in keeping with all this other stuff, all that has been pushed into next year! Ugh!

I haven't quite made up my mind to scrub the cross-country flight to KTKI; I've got an airline ticket and a rental car reservation for tomorrow as a fallback, so you can still expect me sometime tomorrow afternoon. Webesee...

The second test flight today went better: some fiddly stuff with the carbs and new plugs. I look forward to the new 912iS engine fitted to the Pipistrel: no carburetors!

Where's the "Really Like!!!" Button?

JWilsonphoto

I'm probably out for tomorrow due to meetings, so you guys relax and get together. We'll begin festivities Thursday am. Looking forward to our time together. Things will be very different when we can light up our own B25 and summon our own subjects.

Go4Long
Total Posts: 2012

Have fun at Alliance everyone. Here's a shot from my trip to Vancouver Island for Canadian Thanksgiving:

Foggy Morning Color by Steven Szabo, on Flickr

ELinder
Total Posts: 1069

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Sorry Erich,

On the bright side, any of you who have been around me while we are planning, holding together and executing these missions, know how stressful it is. Knowing that we've scrubbed, albeit disappointing, will allow me to do the fifty other things I'm tasked with at the show, and enjoy you all to boot.

We might just stir up an air to air or two at HQ on Thursday, who knows?

Hope it didn't sound like I was complaining, just disappointed. I've sat thru enough formation flight briefings to have an idea what you must go thru trying to pull one of these together. Besides, all good things come to those who wait.

Erich

astrobrian

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Hi Brian,

This had nothing to do with the readiness of DD and crew, and everything to do with a very influential client's schedule. Unavoidable, just one of those things.

Just got the email saying that, you are officially faster than our own Jim.

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 2444

Go4Long wrote:
Have fun at Alliance everyone. Here's a shot from my trip to Vancouver Island for Canadian Thanksgiving:

Foggy Morning Color by Steven Szabo, on Flickr

I'm really liking this image Steven

Go4Long
Total Posts: 2012

Thanks Jeff. It was a little bit of luck. The fog was so thick that we couldn't go out fishing that morning, so I ran in to town to get fuel for the truck instead. I recently discovered a storage compartment in my truck that allows me to keep my camera in the truck at all times and relatively secure. Anyway, I was heading by the cove and looked over and there was the boat with a wall of fog right behind it. I backed up down the road to a spot that I could pull off the side and hopped down the embankment to get the shot.

I'm in the process of doing a wall display of canvases at my mom's house on the island, and fairly certain that shot will be one of the larger ones, likely 24x36.

Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 3832

Man that new paint on Yellow Rose looks tight!

JWilsonphoto

So, what's our count for HQ?

Me,Lady Jo, Wrei, Zim, Jay, Larry, Rob, Gunny, Erich, Glenn?, Nadya? Al, Kevin. Miss anyone?

astrobrian

Glenn Watson wrote:
Man that new paint on Yellow Rose looks tight!

Just don't look too closely at her face, looks "bruised" a bit.

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 4082

JWilsonphoto wrote:
I'm probably out for tomorrow due to meetings, so you guys relax and get together. We'll begin festivities Thursday am. Looking forward to our time together. Things will be very different when we can light up our own B25 and summon our own subjects.

Where do we get together if you're not at HQ, Jim? I was counting on a place to hangar the Remos...

Glenn Watson

JWilsonphoto wrote:
So, what's our count for HQ?

Me, Zim, Jay, Larry, Rob, Gunny, Erich, Glenn?, Nadya? Al, Kevin. Miss anyone?

we are in! coming home thursday night so no PPR or hangar required on this end.

Glenn Watson

How could you forget Lady Jo ??

Wrei
Total Posts: 2939

I will probably be coming with Glenn…someway.

Baywing
Total Posts: 441

Just getting back into things after a bit of a break. I've started shooting at Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome again after an 11 year absence (politics) and have been noticing a problem. It could be that I am more aware of prop blur and my desire to achieve that has caused other issues. What I'm finding is that I need 1/125-1/160 sec as max shutter speed for about 1/3 to 1/2 disc. While 1/60 would be better, it's not a good idea, at least not right now. I'm shooting with FX (full frame) using a 500mm with 1.4 tc (700mm). The AF is doing fine, what I think I'm running into is subject movement during the exposure. The majority of my shots are from the front, either head-on or just off to the side. As a result, panning doesn't really come into play. (The biggest difference is that years ago, I had field access so shots were more from the side than the front.) I do better with the slower a/c, the pre-WW1 buggies that just hop. I'm guessing that they do about 30mph max. The others get up to 60-70mph and I'm thinking subject motion is what is biting me.
I'm curious what the "experts" think and if there is a solution I'm overlooking. The sad part is, last show was Sunday past, so I won't be able to practice until next season.
Here's a typical shot from my best vantage point:

Hanriot

JWilsonphoto

Lady Jo and Wrei!!!!!! Of Course!!!!! My mind has left the building!

JWilsonphoto

I think you are correct in your subject motion thought. At the slower shutter speeds any little input, a thermal, a little aileron or rudder, will cause that. You can tell the difference between camera motion and subject motion by looking at the grain sharpness, if nothing is sharp, the problem resides at the camera, if the grain i sharp, but he subject appears a bit "3D-ish", then it's the subject.

Sorry about the politics, I hate that, but it pops up everywhere. The older I get the less patience I have for it. I'm getting to the point where my default is to quietly distance myself at the first hint. I realize that, because my opportunities are plentiful, that's a luxury not everyone has, but I find walking away is like cutting off oxygen to a fire.

1       2       3              3555      
       3557              4529       4530       end