Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3547

1       2       3              3547      
       3549              4304       4305       end

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 16102

Glenn, Austin Exec looks like a nice field. Do you have to talk to Bergstrom to get in and out of there? Looks like a nice place to be based. This spring I'm going to be doing a week of aerial work in the Eagle Ford Play. I think that might be a nice base for me. Although I suppose New Braunfels would be a little closer.

Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 2975

Nope you dont, and I dont think that is an accident either! Hope to see you when you're down.

Glenn

JWilsonphoto

The ISAP board is converging on Allen tomorrow afternoon for a three day board meeting. I'm headed to a rig in the dark tomorrow morning, but hope to be back in time for a late dinner with everyone. It has become my habit to clean all my sensors once a week at least, and especially prior to an assignment. I haven't been using the super high speed setting on my X bodies and, as a result, the sensors aren't dotted with those silicone amoebas. Must be something Nikon and Canon are using in the mirror mechanism because I have seen lengthy discussions throttling Nikon for exactly the same problem, even in bodies like the D600 that don't have the buffer speed of the X. For people who are hesitant to clean their own sensors, this stuff creates a problem. Back in the early days of digital I was shipping bodies back to CPS on a monthly basis. That gets to be a crazy expenditure of both time and money. I think we talked about this before, cleaning sensors is much more difficult in dry atmospheres. Today is cool, low overcast and misting. Two passes with the Visible Dust 1.0 swabs and my sensors were immaculate. When the humidity is 20% I push dust around for a long time before the sensor is acceptable. My heart goes out to our AZ contingent because 20% is a really humid day for them.

Enough rambling, off to work. Be back with you later!

JWilsonphoto

Hi Glenn,

I wouldn't miss seeing you for the world. We'll have some fun! I'll schedule it for after Lady Jo's return from the UK. Things need to be green so that should be just about right.

futurshox
Total Posts: 2389

That is kind of you, to remember my impending voyage :-) I would certainly be delighted to see y'all.

I should remind folks also that the Sport Air Racing League 2013 season will be starting soon... full calendar is here and the first few races are in Texas...

6 April, 2013
Texoma Air Race
Sherman, TX (KGYI)

13 April, 2013
Taylor 100 Air Race
Taylor, TX (T74)

27 April, 2013
Hill Country Air Race
Llano, TX (KAQO)

4 May, 2013
Big Country Air Fest Air Race
Abilene, TX (KABI)

18 May, 2013 (this is ISAP weekend)
Lone Star Air Race
Galveston, TX (KGLS)

25 May, 2013
Memorial Day Air Race
Terrell, TX (KTRL)

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 3357

Love the Talon, Jim...but did you notice the file corruption along the bottom edge?

stevezzzz

Doubtful Sound on the west coast of New Zealand's South Island. This is a stereo-X pair.

BTW, Glenn has trained himself to be able to free-view these stereo pairs, which means you should be able to, too.

stevezzzz

When I was looking at this image on the monitor I couldn't imagine why I'd bothered to snap the shutter. Then I switched to the next image and realized I had shot them as a stereo pair, which brings out depth and textures you can't see any other way in a still image.

Leo Hursh
Total Posts: 1608

Harry, I stand, with the rest of the fine people on this board, in support of you in these hard times. My wife and I took a moment last evening when I first read your post to say a prayer for you. I do not know what it is like to lose one so close to me, but what I can imagine hurts beyond words. We will continue to lift you up in prayer in the coming weeks.

May the Lord bless us with 57 years together.

futurshox
Total Posts: 2389

stevez wrote:
When I was looking at this image on the monitor I couldn't imagine why I'd bothered to snap the shutter. Then I switched to the next image and realized I had shot them as a stereo pair, which brings out depth and textures you can't see any other way in a still image.

Wow, no kidding. It just looks like a single mass of trees in the first picture. I must say though, that the lack of obvious distinct feature does make the stereo pair hard to get into focus. Worth it once you get there!

stevezzzz

Here's a landscape that needs no stereo gimcrackery: the head of Doubtful Sound from the pass that overlooks it.

stevezzzz

Island guarding the entrance to a side arm of Doubtful Sound: stereo-X pair.

stevezzzz

Cliff detail, rising from Doubtful Sound.

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 1868

@Steve - Always enjoy your landscapes. No matter how hard I try, I can get the 'stereo' effect to work for me. No matter, they look wonderful as single images

Another image from Luke.

cbrandt
Total Posts: 1486

Dear Harry .. I am so sorry for your loss ..

Rodolfo and Mr JWilson -- I think that SI shoot would be a pretty good gig for one issue - but there's no doubt it might come with consequences

ABC National News had that lil blonde Torres on this eve .. she just bought a very nice 17 million ( ? ) pad

stevezzzz

Jeff W. wrote:
@Steve - Always enjoy your landscapes. No matter how hard I try, I can get the 'stereo' effect to work for me. No matter, they look wonderful as single images

Another image from Luke.

Thanks, Jeff. Keep trying: one of these days, you'll 'get' the stereo effect.

I think your Luke (non-Millennium) Falcon is very cool, especially the way the HUD frames the pilot's face in green. Great jello, too.

Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 2975

Hi Jeff:
It took me at least a year to figure those pesky things out. i gave myself a headache over and over by trying to "see" those things until i finally gave up. Then I finally watched a tutorial on using a pencil or you thumb to help and it finally clicked. I still cant just look at see them like some, but i eventually get there. I'll try to find the link. Its worth practicing thats for sure! Great set Stevez!

Glenn

Jeff W.

Steve & Glenn:

No worries, I'll keep plugging away and someday it will click. I guess I'm just not the poster boy for public education in Arizona

Thanks for the kind words on the Falcon. Once in a while I get to hang at the EOR and get some quality close-up time with these aging Vipers. I always like that green glow of the heads-up.

Rodolfo Paiz
Total Posts: 9732

No worries, Jeff... I'm having zero success at the 3D pairs as well. You are certainly not the only one.

That Falcon is an outstanding image, even for you. Do I understand you correctly that you're actually being allowed to be inside the fence and near the EOR?

Jeff W.

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
No worries, Jeff... I'm having zero success at the 3D pairs as well. You are certainly not the only one.

That Falcon is an outstanding image, even for you. Do I understand you correctly that you're actually being allowed to be inside the fence and near the EOR?

Thanks Rodolfo. Yes sir, I am at the EOR where they stop to go through a final check and arming process. I'm lucky to have one of the Luke tower chiefs as a member of our local group. Occasionally, I get an invite to join him for some photo ops at the EOR and from the balcony on the tower. It is great fun to say the least. So far, the "brass" are supportive. In fact, I believe Jay recently shot in the same areas with one of the squadron commanders. When Luke starts to get its allotment of F-35's, access could dry up very quickly. We will see what happens in the future and enjoy the opportunities that avail themselves in the near term.

1       2       3              3547      
       3549              4304       4305       end