Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3529

1       2       3              3529      
       3531              4307       4308       end

stevezzzz
Total Posts: 3370

Wow, we need a name for that shocking jump in data generation. Something with the word "Singularity" in it: I'm assuming that it can't continue to increase at the same rate, since the amount of data generated is tied to Moore's law and the number of humans on the planet and the singularity is tied to the widespread initial adoption of digital information generators like cameras and camcorders by the general population. Whereas before big data was largely an institutional/governmental thing, now it's Everyman pumping out terabytes, and not just in the first world: I heard a report saying that something like 235 million smart phones will be sold in China this year.

[edit for TOPP: aerial view of Ship Rock, NM]

cbrandt
Total Posts: 1486

futurshox wrote:
Hey, Nikonheads, you too can now spend all your money on an 800mm lens... clicky - a mere $18K!

I wonder how many of these super tele's are produced for the initial offering ??

Go4Long
Total Posts: 1523

futurshox wrote:
Hey, Nikonheads, you too can now spend all your money on an 800mm lens... clicky - a mere $18K!

Yes, but the MTF chart is a straight line across the top, and only reduces slightly with the included 1.25 TC

Turns out that our plane is a 604, not a 605...at least I think so based on the tail cone.

CP Challenger by Steven Szabo, on Flickr

astrobrian
Total Posts: 827

How about "The Binary Expansion Singularity"

astrobrian
Total Posts: 827

JWilsonphoto wrote:
With the kind and very able assistance of our own Brian Papke, I solved my IT problems. I decided, for once, not to go with cutting edge so I went to Apple and picked up an AIrport Extreme. Like the reviews say, 10 minutes later I was up and running. Brian helped me with some setting details and better understanding the hardwired segment of my network.

Thanks everyone, thanks especially to Brian for a Sunday night rescue!!

Tip of the hat, no problem, glad to had gotten you out of the weeds

stevezzzz

cbrandt wrote:
futurshox wrote:

I wonder how many of these super tele's are produced for the initial offering ??

At the nice (gulp) price, how many do they expect to sell?

Go4Long

From the rumors from the Canon side that's not going to be much more than the new Canon...

stevezzzz

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Sorry about your travails Mark. My Linksys stuff goes toes up if there's a clap of thunder in west Texas, then has to be unplugged and rebooted. Both components are being retired to the recycling bin as we speak.

With the kind and very able assistance of our own Brian Papke, I solved my IT problems. I decided, for once, not to go with cutting edge so I went to Apple and picked up an AIrport Extreme. Like the reviews say, 10 minutes later I was up and running. Brian helped me with some setting details and better understanding the hardwired segment of my network.

Thanks everyone, thanks especially to Brian for a Sunday night rescue!!

I have to reset my telcomm-supplied wireless router every few weeks. Today, for instance. I have never once had to reset my AirPort Extreme. Enjoy...

stevezzzz

Go4Long wrote:
From the rumors from the Canon side that's not going to be much more than the new Canon...

The 200-400 we've been expecting Any Day Now for, oh, 18 months?

Go4Long

stevez wrote:
Go4Long wrote:

I've heard rumblings of a new 800mm 5.6 from the Canon side as well. Although to be honest, I think I heard them from Jim somewhere in this thread :P

And yes, Canon and Nikon seem to introduce products in totally different ways. Nikon announces them and you can expect them within a few months...Canon? not so much.

Tim Adams
Total Posts: 2618

Go4Long wrote:
stevez wrote:
Go4Long wrote:

I've heard rumblings of a new 800mm 5.6 from the Canon side as well. Although to be honest, I think I heard them from Jim somewhere in this thread :P

And yes, Canon and Nikon seem to introduce products in totally different ways. Nikon announces them and you can expect them within a few months...Canon? not so much.

Used to be the other way around. Things have changed.

Rodolfo Paiz
Total Posts: 9735

futurshox wrote:

Must... resist...

Go4Long

You cannot resist its charms...lol

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 16104

The series II 800mm is vaporware but rumored. I think I'd consider dropping to the 600 II before I'd pull the trigger on that upgrade. Especially when you consider the fact the current 800 was touted as a series II designed for digital. I love my 800, but giventhe exponential increase in atmospherics, I'm not convinced that a 600 II wouldn't serve the user as well.

I think my next acquisitions will be in the 300, 600 II equipment. Canon is going to send me something to test, weebeesee .

JWilsonphoto

Oh, and Zim, your shot of Shiprock still mesmerizes me Buddy!

Jon Uhler
Total Posts: 2439

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
Jeff W. wrote:
Rodolfo - FWIW, I'm in the same boat as you and I just ordered this from McNally. As a Nikon shooter, Joe should really speak to your soul.

http://www.joemcnally.com/blog/the-language-of-light/

I am an unabashed fan of Joe's work and think his lighting tutorials are excellent. His presentation as the final speaker on Saturday afternoon at ISAP X was the highlight of the entire event for me. Did I say I was a McNally fan

I'm a huge fan of Joe too. Hurt to miss that presentation at ISAP, but I'm really looking forward to his workshop at Photoshop World. His "Hotshoe Diaries" were an (ahem) illuminating read, and I'm downloading "Language of Light" now, thanks. Still looking for that little piece to put on the end of my C-stand arms, though.

Depends on what you plan on attaching to the end. If you have mono blocks (Alien Bee's, Profotos, Elinchrom's etc) then they just slide on and screw down. If you wish to attach a hot/cold shoe type of flash then you need something like the Manfrotto umbrella holder. You can get a couple "brass monkeys" that would allow you to attach a cold shoe.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/546375-REG/Manfrotto_026_026_Swivel_Umbrella_Adapter.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/52772-REG/Stroboframe_300_SHO_Flash_Mount_Adapter.html

Should work like a champ.

JWilsonphoto

We've discussed having Joe back at ISAP , it's more a matter of his schedule. He's always a treat. I'll know more after our board meeting in a week or so.

Jon Uhler

I've had the pleasure of hearing him speak several times. It is worth taking the time to go see him for his stories alone. He is a true master.

Joe McNally at Zack's studio... by battlefloydflyer, on Flickr

Light shaper.... by battlefloydflyer, on Flickr

Jon Uhler

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
I wish someone would put together a lighting tutorial for those who want to use just two or three lights and a bare minimum of gear, but who want to use good stuff... and are starting out flat-footed and ignorant. I finally get a couple of C-stands, and now I can't put a thing on them because there's holes at the end of the arms!

I love it when I get into new stuff and don't have even the scrawniest, most flimsy excuse for a Clue. The process of learning something from scratch is a constant source of discovery and laughs (usually at my own expense). Soooooo, does anyone know what the thing with a rod on one side and a coldshoe on the other is called, that fits into the clamp at the end of the arm on the top of a C-stand?

BTW...welcome to the club. Just go ahead and attach one or two credit cards to BH photo....

Home studio gone crazy..... by battlefloydflyer, on Flickr

_MG_7636 by battlefloydflyer, on Flickr

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4502

600RX's Jon? Have a couple myself. They're great lights! I like your "low boy" studs on your C Stands.

Can't we just have ISAP at Red Flag every year?

1       2       3              3529      
       3531              4307       4308       end