Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3526

1       2       3              3526      
       3528              4855       4856       end

Angry
Total Posts: 1216

futurshox wrote:
I have done that sort of thing by twisting the tripod ring around 180degrees on the lens, so the tripod hole is sticking up. Then you get some 1/4" threaded rod and connect the video camera to the mount ring. Let me see if I can dredge up a picture of this rig...

Now that could work as I'm using the 70-200 ,..this is for Wakeboarding from the back of the tow boat...

Pics please ??

Al

futurshox
Total Posts: 2751

OK, it took a bit of finding but here you go. Sorry it's not enormously clear; the strap is hiding some of it. But you can see the wing nut at the bottom of the connector; there's another one at the top.

The wire half way up is a clip that lives in a hole drilled through the middle of the threaded rod, this is purely to give you something to grab for leverage when removing it, otherwise your fingers slip on the thread.

futurshox

As you can see, I'm using a Sanyo Xacti on that rig. This works pretty well; I usually run it zoomed in a bit. I would guess that a GoPro is going to have a lot of the frame filled by the lens though, since it is so wide angle. I attach here a screenshot of a video I recorded yesterday with a GoPro, this is looking down from the top of the bird feeder. The camera is hanging from the top at about the same distance from the clear tube as the green ring you can see at the bottom. Imagine the clear tube is your lens, and this is what you're going to see.

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 8892

Al, maybe something like this?

http://www.adorama.com/FABC.html

Angry wrote:
futurshox wrote:
I have done that sort of thing by twisting the tripod ring around 180degrees on the lens, so the tripod hole is sticking up. Then you get some 1/4" threaded rod and connect the video camera to the mount ring. Let me see if I can dredge up a picture of this rig...

Now that could work as I'm using the 70-200 ,..this is for Wakeboarding from the back of the tow boat...

Pics please ??

Al

Jeff W.
Total Posts: 2408

FlyingPhotog wrote:
Very Cool Moment Brian!

COD Piece

Jay - Your updated treatment of this image is excellent. I especially like how the smokey exhaust pixels are revealed and the prop disks are more evident. Makes the entire image more dynamic IMHO

Go4Long
Total Posts: 1978

hmmm...could be this one...the St Louis trip doesn't make much sense, but everything else on the flight plan since the 18th looks like a normal week of travel for our CEO.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N22RG

Only thing is it hasn't been to Calgary in a while, so maybe he hasn't been around Calgary.

He flies out of KHPN and KPBI all the time (if you saw the flight history for C-FCPR it would hit those ones at least once a week, and often would fly CYYC to KPBI to KHPN to CYYC over the course of a weekend)

cbrandt
Total Posts: 1486

Considering buying a Go Pro camera to use while out shooting wildlife .. I have seen smatterings of messages about the camera here but I didn't pay enough attention.

Looking at HER03 Silver editions - seems to have a battery life issue .. but quality is right up there with HER02 ??

The HER02 is an excellent camera - but the setup menu is difficult and the HER03 improves this plus quality ?? for $50 bucks ??

Are these cameras mainly wide angle .. or do they provide some tele function ?

That C arm assembly for like $9 bucks is a pretty economical mount .. thanks

Curt

Tim Adams
Total Posts: 2853

Very cool, Greenamyer's homebuilt RB-104.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/150026_4430283440118_795821405_n

I can't figure out how to just put the link since it is not my photo, but just put the .jpeg at the end and it will take you to the photo. Too bad it is no longer with us.

futurshox

Curt, GoPro cameras are fixed wide angle. _Really_ wide angle, about 170 degrees. The setup on a Hero2 is not hard, it just requires some button pushing.

nickjohnson
Total Posts: 972

Donald Gray wrote:
Gee, some wow images. I just wish that we had the decent weather/atmospherics. Even then, oh for the opportunities to get close up and personal with the subjects...

However, I have tried a landscape... er ... with ... er ... a little post...

Hello Donald, nice to see you back. Interesting image I'm glad to see that the medication is working so well ...

cbrandt

futurshox wrote:
Curt, GoPro cameras are fixed wide angle. _Really_ wide angle, about 170 degrees. The setup on a Hero2 is not hard, it just requires some button pushing.

Thanks .. well I'm thinking I'd like more * landscapish * type wildlife photos -- shoot a meadow and OMG is that an elk out there ? for a while.

Now I'm really rewinding the tape, but didn't Mr. J Wilson have a ( don't know how many I can afford ) HER02's for sale ??

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 4053

Very cool, Greenamyer's homebuilt RB-104

Go4Long
Total Posts: 1978

Got it. Challenger.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/CFCPI

waterflyboy22 wrote:
Hi Steve-
I do some work for a company that has it's office at KPBI. I look at the ramp all day. If you have any idea what I'd need to look for (besides a charlie registration) I'd be glad to keep an eye open and even snap a pic if you'd like...

C-FCPI if you see it. It's leaving KPBI in about 90 mins according to the flight plan they just filed.

Tim Adams
Total Posts: 2853

Jan-Arie wrote:
Tim Adams wrote:

I can't figure out how to just put the link since it is not my photo, but just put the .jpeg at the end and it will take you to the photo. Too bad it is no longer with us.

Here you Go Tim I have this plane as modelkit yes Hasegawa 1/48 scale

I did looked up the photo then right mouse click then copy picture location.
Then you can edit your message for example [ frame ]http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/150026_4430283440118_795821405_n.jpg[ /frame ] or you can use [ img ][ /img ] just delete the space's

I did not want to post the pic in full because it is not mine. It was taken by Chuck Aro.

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 4053

Tim Adams wrote:
Jan-Arie wrote:
Tim Adams wrote:

Here you Go Tim I have this plane as modelkit yes Hasegawa 1/48 scale

I did looked up the photo then right mouse click then copy picture location.
Then you can edit your message for example [ frame ]http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/150026_4430283440118_795821405_n.jpg[ /frame ] or you can use [ img ][ /img ] just delete the space's

I did not want to post the pic in full because it is not mine. It was taken by Chuck Aro.

no problem will delete my post

Jon Uhler
Total Posts: 2462

Angry wrote:
futurshox wrote:

Pics please ??

Al

I did this more as a joke....but it works with a goPro....

The Ultimate wedding rig.... by battlefloydflyer, on Flickr

You have a flash bracket laying around?

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4775

Electronic Longboat
VAQ-129 "Vikings"

cbrandt

That Flash bracket gets heavy, I don't know how those weddin' togs carry them around all day, but I do have a Press T bracket for my Nikon which is very similar to this Flash Bracket Jon ....... also have the flash extender for the Wimberly that one could mount a camera too instead of a flash above the 600mm ........

cbrandt

I'm trying to remember, find photos of the jet that the CNO of the Navy flew 1971 - 1974 while I was on NAF AAFB.

Besides the pilots, he had a crew to provide food and drink .. they entered the aircraft from a fold down stairway behind the front wheel.

I'm thinking A-3 or something, but for the life of me can't find it or any planes similar to it.

N E BODY KNOW ?? Thanks Curt

Jon Uhler
Total Posts: 2462

cbrandt wrote:
That Flash bracket gets heavy, I don't know how those weddin' togs carry them around all day, but I do have a Press T bracket for my Nikon which is very similar to this Flash Bracket Jon ....... also have the flash extender for the Wimberly that one could mount a camera too instead of a flash above the 600mm ........

They do indeed. Sometimes I screw the bracket on to my mono-pod....helps a lot.

1       2       3              3526      
       3528              4855       4856       end