Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel
/forum/topic/600984/3523

1       2       3              3523      
       3525              4253       4254       end

Glenn Watson
Total Posts: 2919

Your posts are making me wonder how i'm going to pay MY rent!

What a great week this was! - air 2 air with Sukhoi, Baron, and AH1, 2 hard aerobatic flights in the Sukhoi and 1 in a T6, along with flying 7 different types (C162, C172, A36, B58, KingAir100, Sukhoi Su-29 and a T6) whew!

Very thankful and looking forward to what the next week will bring..

edit for TOP:

The Hero2 version1 is still going strong! (if the Sukhoi wasnt so dang rattly!)

Vertical upline:

Glenn

JWilsonphoto
Total Posts: 15945

Here's a question for the technologically adept in our group. All of a sudden my network at home got ridiculously slow. I've rest, rebooted, checked connections etc., and there's no improvement. I'm using the same Lynksis router and wifi router that I bought 14 years ago when we built our home and maybe it is just giving up the ghost and needs to be replaced. It doesn't matter if I shut off the wifi on my laptop and use a cat 5 cable, or I use wifi. Transfer speeds that typically show minutes in process, now sit there and spin the beach ball, then finally show hours.

I ran a test tonight. These numbers are ridiculously slow, aren't they? What's up?

JWilsonphoto

I think I might head to Fry's in the am and replace my router and wireless router. I can't live with what's going on for very long.

JWilsonphoto

That's an impressive list of accomplishments for a week Glenn! Heck, for a month!

JWilsonphoto

Chandler getting some air and a bucket tonight......................

FlyingPhotog
Total Posts: 4371

Glenn's week would make a great YEAR in my book...

Sorry Jim, I got nuthin' on the home network. I know I had to swap out my modem and router about a year ago simply because the local cable company started pumping so much more data down the pipeline that my old Linksys just couldn't hang anymore. Unfortunately, in my case, it only helped the througput to the wider world with little to no effect on my internal digit passing. Wonderful that out of Glenn's loss, you've found a new friend. Funny how life works sometimes, eh?

I always smile when you post shots of Chandler because that's the name of my part of greater Phoenix.

Capping it off with just a straight B&W conversion. The Superstition Mountains in the background are totally invisible in the original color image. Not sure where Silver Effex finds extra pixels, but I'll take 'em where I can get 'em!

FlyingPhotog

Just Hand The Valet Your Keys...

FlyingPhotog

Portable Haboob

FlyingPhotog

Desert Doll

RobMoser
Total Posts: 827

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Here's a question for the technologically adept in our group. All of a sudden my network at home got ridiculously slow. I've rest, rebooted, checked connections etc., and there's no improvement. I'm using the same Lynksis router and wifi router that I bought 14 years ago when we built our home and maybe it is just giving up the ghost and needs to be replaced. It doesn't matter if I shut off the wifi on my laptop and use a cat 5 cable, or I use wifi. Transfer speeds that typically show minutes in process, now sit there and spin the beach ball, then finally show hours.

I ran a test tonight. These numbers are ridiculously slow, aren't they? What's up?

Well, there's two components, your local network (LAN) and the ISP connectivity (WAN). Your speed test is (mostly) testing the WAN connectivity and is controlled by your ISP. I have commercial fibre and get symmetric upload and download speeds (25Mb) but most normal home based ISP connectivity has lower capacity up than down. Your download speeds don't look bad but the upload speeds look...pathetic.

Changing out your router as old as it is would certainly not be a bad idea, but to be honest, I think you should also check with your ISP. If it changed rather abruptly as you describe, I would think that there could also be an external component to the problem.

Rob

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 3508

HF F4

msalvetti
Total Posts: 2815

Jim, with my Comcast broadband, I'm getting 20 Mbps download, and 3.6 Mbps upload.

I also recently replaced an ancient Linksys. I would stay away from Belkin. I picked up one of their dual N-band routers at Costco. It was not intuitive to set up, and I had to reboot it now and then. When Apple came out with iOS6, it stopped working with all our Apple devices. Turned out it needed a firmware update, but Belkin had apparently abandoned that model (it was only 3 months old). They had new firmware for their other routers, but not mine.

Luckily Costco took it back no questions, and now we have a Netgear N900. The thing just works, and seems to be way ahead of the Belkin.

Mark

Jan-Arie
Total Posts: 3508

-

JWilsonphoto

Thanks Rob and Mark. I really don't seem to be having a problem with internet upload/download, or watching tutorial video, netflix, etc. When I am working on my laptop downstairs and send files to the Drobos upstairs, things get ridiculously slow. What component of my LAN would affect that? Doesn't matter if I'm using wifi or CAT5, it takes forever all of a sudden.

JWilsonphoto

Thanks Brian. Does the modem (Time Warner) have anything to do with me moving image files around on my network? How does Apple Airport wifi compare to Linksys, Asus, etc. as far as speed?

Go4Long
Total Posts: 1483

Jim:

The modem wouldn't touch your computer to computer transfers, so if that's suffering then it's definitely your router. The time capsule is on par with all the latest network gadgetry, but it's over priced for what it is, you're paying for the apple logo, and an over priced harddrive (that has varying reliability depending on who you listen to, although mine has been running for a couple years without a hiccup).

So...planning ahead, any fellow Nikon Shooters (and I know we're a rare breed on this thread) planning to attend MotoGP in Austin in April? I'm looking at renting a big lens, just waiting to hear back from COTA about if the camera restrictions will remain the same (basically non existant) as the Formula 1 race, which only states that "Personal Photography Equipment" is allowed (so leave the business cards outside of the camera case).

Back to the topic at hand, I was thinking of going big and getting the 600mm F/4 from Lensrentals, but didn't want to be limited to that all weekend, so was looking to see if maybe someone else was planning on bringing some big hardware and wanted to arrange to "share"

astrobrian

I was originally thinking this was an ISP issue til that clarification with the Drobos. If the Drobos themselves are hooked to the Linksys that may be the culprit.

Is there a way to rig the Drobos up with the Linksys out of the equation? (direct connect to the system) If you can, that would be the easiest way to isolate it. Another would be to borrow a router from a friend if someone has a spare and substitute it in for testing.

Lastly is the router and internet in one device or is there a dedicated modem? It's a long shot but if it is a combined device that was ISP provided, then they should be able to swap it out for you.

astrobrian

Speeds are no different on the devices for networking. Range is your only issue and that is only when extending the network

JWilsonphoto

The Drobos are connected directly to the MacPro upstairs. I have an RCA Time Warner modem, a linksys workgroup switch, then a Linksys 802.11g wireless router. I have CAT 5 cables hardwired to the workgroup switch that run downstairs to my laptop.

Go4Long
Total Posts: 1483

To trouble shoot it eliminate all the middle men, then add on one leg at a time, Plug your laptop directly into the modem, see what your speeds are, then add in the router, see what your speeds are, then add on various other pieces of hardware one at a time and see where the weak link lies. Do it all hard wired before you get to WiFi speeds as then you'll have a reasonable level of consistency. My 0.02.

In order of likelihood:

1. Your ISP is having issues
2. Your ISP has capped your up/download speeds (don't know if that's as common down in the states as it is here)
3. Your router is fried
4. Your modem is fried
5. Some other piece of hardware is actively using your internet connection and hogging bandwidth (any chance someone is streaming netflix while you're trying to run the tests?)
6. Boogey men (don't rule that out)

1       2       3              3523      
       3525              4253       4254       end